PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Northwestern Game Thread

Lotus000
09-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Ya know, I have ESPN's GamePlan, and I have access to about...oh, a dozen games or more with all the channels, but it's super disheartening when I can ONLY get an AUDIO-ONLY feed of Duke Football for $10/mo $80/yr.

I think that it's sort of shooting yourself in the foot for fan participation if you can't find it on any radio network except for GoDuke...

Sigh.

At least my Sooners hung half a hundred today. :-D

Lotus000
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Woot! 7-0 on a nice drive and a three-and-out! Nice job boys!

...note, having to use ESPN's Game-Cast, so no audio. Frown town.

LetItBD08
09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
For 5 bucks you could watch the game live right now:

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&code=acc&media=76420

It's the radio commentary with a video feed.

The Dude
09-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Is ACC Select working for you? Mine is stalled (and I watched another game on it earlier today with no problems).

LetItBD08
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, so far so good. It's working on Internet Explorer, not Firefox though.

jmb
09-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Northwestern radio feed:

http://www.wyll.com

Click Listen Live on the left side

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Northwestern radio feed:

Thanks for the link. Working well.

C'mon DUKE!

Verga3
09-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Northwestern radio feed:

Here's anothe link at WGN Radio. http://wgnradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6336&Itemid=160

Where are you, Bob Harris?

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
All right -- let's drive it down there!

godukerocks
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, so far so good. It's working on Internet Explorer, not Firefox though.

Mine's not working on Internet Explorer.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Duke driving -- 1st and 10 on NW's 22 -- GOGOGO

dukeballer2294
09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Y is asack in? this happened last game too.

77devil
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Northwestern radio feed:

Interesting home page.

ehdg
09-06-2008, 08:11 PM

I believe coach Cut said he was going to do this to change the pace of the games at times. He did this in the last game telling them both that Asack would get in for the 3rd drive no matter what.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
FG -- 14-10 NW.

Clip on the kick return has NW pinned deep -- let's get another shot here!

Time of poss.: Duke 21 min; NW 7.

Grind 'em down.

jv001
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Duke down 17-10 at halftime. Zack took the team down the field for a field goal. However the kicking game reared it's ugly head again. Bad snap over Jones (punter) head led to Nwestrn score.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Duke down 17-10 at halftime. Zack took the team down the field for a field goal. However the kicking game reared it's ugly head again. Bad snap over Jones (punter) head led to Nwestrn score.

That last drive by NW hurt, too. Sounds like maybe we were in the prevent D? They covered a bunch of ground pdq.

jv001
09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
That last drive by NW hurt, too. Sounds like maybe we were in the prevent D? They covered a bunch of ground pdq.

I did not think about that. It did seem Nwstrn went down the field quickly. Duke had been playing good defense until that last drive. Who get's the kickoff in the 2nd half. Was not listening when the game began.

EarlJam
09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm watching on Internet. Awesome. Thanks a ton for the info! Haven't done this before.

GO DUKE!

-EJ

Uncle Drew
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM

I'm not saying Northwestern is JMU, but last week it seemed Duke made adjustments at the half and played much better the second half, so we'll see. I hate I couldn't go to the game, but I had to meet with a client down in Charlotte and didn't get home until 7:45.

YmoBeThere
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
PC troubles...hope I haven't missed too much.

juise
09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Where are you, Bob Harris?

On XM. :)

YmoBeThere
09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Ahhh, when are Sirius and XM going to start offering mixed packages? I'm a Sirius user. :(

SilkyJ
09-06-2008, 09:13 PM
im following on gamecast, but not watching, so its tough for me to tell but it seems like we are rushing the ball well to very well. nm we are running it i guess. now thad is shredding their d with his arm it looks like. who is this johnny williams guy? goduke says hes a back but he has 7 catches for 100 yds. are they playing him a WR? is he getting a lot of passes/screens out of the backfield?

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Tdtdtdtd

DU 20 -- NW 17.

Grind 'em down!!!!!!!!

juise
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Touchdown! 20-17, Duke.

jv001
09-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Duke TD. Duke 20-17. Let's go defense.

jv001
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
im following on gamecast, but not watching, so its tough for me to tell but it seems like we are rushing the ball well to very well. nm we are running it i guess. now thad is shredding their d with his arm it looks like. who is this johnny williams guy? goduke says hes a back but he has 7 catches for 100 yds. are they playing him a WR? is he getting a lot of passes/screens out of the backfield?

Silky I think he's a freshman wideout.

YmoBeThere
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Yahoo! is always so slow to update...

jv001
09-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Long pass has Nwtrn at Duke 14. Tackled by Wright. Looks like they are going at him tonight.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
@#$%@#@#$%#

YmoBeThere
Crap, we are behind again

juise
Northwestern TD. Bleh. Sounds like a questionable pass interference call gave them 1st and goal at the 2.

jv001
09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
@#$%@#@#$%#

My thoughts exactly. Since I don't use profanity, I'll just sign what you typed.

juise
09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
This Johnny Williams guy sounds like a playmaker. I wish we got the game on TV out here (yeah, I'm too cheap to shell out the $5 when I can't watch it all).

taiw93
09-06-2008, 09:51 PM
$%^@*$#!-Turnover on downs

jv001
09-06-2008, 09:52 PM
This game sounds like last years, but the roles reversed.We need the 30 points per game that Coach Cut wanted from this year's team.

godukerocks
09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Noooooooooohooooo. Come on defense.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Gotta hold here.

2:39

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Forced the punt!!!!

C'mon DEVILS!!!

2:30

dukeballer2294
noooo we need a stop right here right now

taiw93
Huge posession coming up here... let's see what Thad and the Devils are really made of.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Good --penalty on NW punt -- make 'em do it again.

RETURN to the 29!!!!!!

godukerocks
09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
At the 29 yard line!

dukeballer2294
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Big return good field position

OldPhiKap
@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$@#$%@#$%@#$@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$

@!#$@!#$!@#$!@#$@#$^$@%^#$@@q#q#%#@$@#$%#$%#@$

TD called back for holding on 4th down play.

juise
TD called back for holding. :(

taiw93
09-06-2008, 10:01 PM
NOOOOOO! TD coming back due to holding- 4th and 15

-bdbd
09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Looking for someone to finally make the big play with the game on the line....

I think several opportunities have been missed.

These refs are killing us!!

Go Duke!

SilkyJ
was it a legit call?

OldPhiKap
crap.

dukeballer2294
Costly mistake 10 yard pentaly.

Cell-R
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Dang...
It was a good game...
We needed that win though!

jv001
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Was it just me, or did Lewis over throw several receivers again tonight. Well it was a good game. Duke should hold their heads up.

SilkyJ
09-06-2008, 10:05 PM
double time of posession. nearly 500 yrds of offense. i hate the word turnover.

dukeballer2294
09-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Well i dont no exactyl what happened on the onalty but we missed our opputunity and lost the ball. I still think the team looks good and we will improve from thhis loss going into the Navy game.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2008, 10:06 PM
was it a legit call?

Didn't look like it from here.

Of course, I'm listening on the radio so I didn't have the best view of the play.

(In all seriousness, Thad was scrambling from a rush so I don't have trouble imagining that it was a good call. I didn't hear a big roar of protest, either).

taiw93
09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Hate to sound cynical, but Duke kind of blew it on the last drive. They started at like the NWestern 35 on that final drive and didn't gain a yard. However, me being so disappointed now is a credit to the team, since last year I probably would have been ecstatic w/ only losing by 4.

YmoBeThere
09-06-2008, 10:08 PM
1-1 after 2, certainly ahead of last year

-bdbd
09-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Watching on the CBSSPORTS video link.

That non-call on the Duke 4th down play (next to last drive) for pass-interference was way more contact than what we got flagged for in the other endzone on NW's preceding drive (and gave NW the ball 1st down on our 2). Those 2 different calls were deciding factors (yes, I know there are a LOT of "deciding factors" and "close calls.).

This was a heartbreaker. Let's hope that Cut and the boys can bounce back versus a down Navy team...that lost badly (and looked bad) to Ball State yesterday.

-BDBD:mad:

jv001
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
double time of posession. nearly 500 yrds of offense. i hate the word turnover.

Yes we moved the ball all night but just couldn't put it in the endzone enough. That long snap over the punters head really hurt. Let directly to a score. Next game is now a very big one.

Indoor66
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Watching on the CBSSPORTS video link.

That non-call on the Duke 4th down play (next to last drive) for pass-interference was way more contact than what we got flagged for in the other endzone on NW's preceding drive (and gave NW the ball 1st down on our 2). Those 2 different calls were deciding factors (yes, I know there are a LOT of "deciding factors" and "close calls.).

This was a heartbreaker. Let's hope that Cut and the boys can bounce back versus a down Navy team...that lost badly (and looked bad) to Ball State yesterday.

-BDBD:mad:

We've got to crank it up just a little to make ourselves bowl eligible. :)

Newton_14
Next play. Time to forget this and prepare for Navy. Stay positive and stay supportive. Change is a process and there will be bumps in the road back to success. Our guys fought hard and came up a little short, but that is ok, they took another step. SO let's start making plans on beating Navy.

Go Duke

captmojo
Maybe he had a bigger plan but I would have not taken the three points off and gone for it on fourth down with over three minutes and two time-outs left.

Next play.

jv001
09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Next play. Time to forget this and prepare for Navy. Stay positive and stay supportive. Change is a process and there will be bumps in the road back to success. Our guys fought hard and came up a little short, but that is ok, they took another step. SO let's start making plans on beating Navy.

Go Duke

Yes and it looks like we have another playmaker in Johnny Williams to go with Riley. Go Duke!

taiw93
09-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I hope Eron is okay. The Northwestern radio announcers mentioned how he spent a lot of time on the training table, and I don't think he had any catches after returning to action. On a positive note, Johnny Williams is a BEAST - 11 catches for 135 yards.

ON EDIT: dang JV, you beat me to it

RelativeWays
09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
We had a couple of costly mistakes, and that one big NW pass on 3-8 didn't help but we at least looked like a competent football team and had a true shot to win at the end. Honestly we outplayed NW for most of the game.

Can we forget about bowl eligibility and racking up tons of wins for the moment? Remember we are coming of a one win season last year, and that one win was considered a fluke by many because NW got hit with a lot of penalties. Even though we won that game, we didn't play as well then as we did tonight. We ARE improving. Good game guys, now lets focus on sinking the midshipmen

Acymetric
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Good game guys. We played hard, time to get ready for next week.

I did take 3 good things out of this game.

1) We played well, but like Cutcliffe said, we didn't make the plays that really mattered. We looked good most of the time.

2) I've never seen that many Duke fans disappointing after a loss. This is a good thing, people have really gotten excited.

3) I got to high five Desmond Scott after a TD. Unfortunately the TD got called back because of holding.

People were really into this game, I can't wait to take on the Midshipmen next weekend. GO DUKE!

365Duke
09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
was it a legit call?

It was 1 of the few though. The holding was not only legit, it was a good play. He was beat and if he did not hold, a sack would have soon come. The smart play was to commit the hold, take the 10 yard penalty, and another try. It was game over if it had been a sack.

godukecom
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
It was a legit hold... no question about it
some of the other calls were not so legit, but blaming the refs is useless...

sigh. Back to reality

arnie
09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
We were clearly the more dominant team tonite, but the punting game really hurt us. The snap over the center's head and subsequent block punt cost us 60 yards in field position and the repeated times our punt returner lined up too close only to watch line drive punts go over his head kept us from putting the game away before the ending.

I am encouraged, but special teams have killed us for so many years. It would be nice to actually win a game due special team play.

Bluedog
09-06-2008, 11:24 PM
We were clearly the more dominant team tonite, but the punting game really hurt us. The snap over the center's head and subsequent block punt cost us 60 yards in field position and the repeated times our punt returner lined up too close only to watch line drive punts go over his head kept us from putting the game away before the ending.

I am encouraged, but special teams have killed us for so many years. It would be nice to actually win a game due special team play.

Well, we've already made as many field goals in two games as we did the ENTIRE last season, so I've been quite pleased with our special teams improvement thus far. :D And Kevin Jones has punted generally well, although no doubt today was not nearly as good as last week and there were a few costly mistakes.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Well, it hurts to win everywhere but in points. It was a great game, one I really thought we were going to pull out. Touch of irony I guess that they held us just we did them last year, only they managed to do it twice, grrrr. Still, it's hard not to come away without a positive outlook, I can't believe how much yardage we churned out, and our defense put on a valiant effort as well. Those breakdowns by all units killed us of course, but on the whole we looked like a good football team.
Was nice meeting more DBR's tonite..see y'all for Navy. GO DUKE!

jlear
09-06-2008, 11:50 PM

The punt returner was checking with the sideline each time on where to line up, so that was not his fault, but I guess he needs faster reaction time to adjust to the ball.

Too many mistakes tonight. Looking for to better special teams next week and fewer mistakes. Even planning on having a breakfast tailgate (night games are so much better!).

formerdukeathlete
09-07-2008, 12:26 AM

I think the question our coaches will be asking themselves after grading the film for this game is, "Why did we not play Asack more?"

In his limited time in the game he was 5 for 5, over 10 years per reception, and tore it up running.

We could have used his height, speed and versatility when twice in the redzone we were stopped and gave the ball up on downs.

Cut will have some decisions to make after this game. My bet is that Asack gets more playing time, rather than less in the next game.

CameronBornAndBred
09-07-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm not a big fan of the 2 quarterback thing, but at least they aren't used in the same series. Zack definately proved his worth out there, I also think Thad did as well. As long as they move the ball, it's hard to complain. I had more problems with Asack's early presence last game. Thad had just led us to a touchdown, so I didn't see the logic. I learned after that was the game plan, Asack was going to have the ball on the 3rd series. Unfortunately it was a very short series, 3 and out. I think he got his game legs in the 4th quarter, and that experience showed it's value tonite. I'm assuming the idea is to not give the defense any continuity.

Devilsfan
09-07-2008, 12:46 AM
The qb while he played good most of the game seemed to get nervous with the game on the line. NW also picked on one specific little corner plus we were covering WRs with linebackers. This might be ok for a Northwestern but not our ACC play. On the positive side #37 is quite a receiver.
We should have won the game tonight by 2 TDs.

DU82
09-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I think the question our coaches will be asking themselves after grading the film for this game is, "Why did we not play Asack more?"

In his limited time in the game he was 5 for 5, over 10 years per reception, and tore it up running.

We could have used his height, speed and versatility when twice in the redzone we were stopped and gave the ball up on downs.

Cut will have some decisions to make after this game. My bet is that Asack gets more playing time, rather than less in the next game.

Some people here will get on you about Lewis, talking about his statistics, and how good he was. Watching the game, I am more with you (as I was to some extent last year.)

Lewis, being shorter, tends to throw the ball fully extended to get the ball over the defenders. His mechanics lead to times when he releases the ball early (in particular when he's rolling out), leading to overthrows (especially clear on the shorter "draw them in then throw over their heads" passes.) Even when he completes passes, the slightly over or under thrown passes get the receivers out of stride, meaning that they can't gain as much as they could on a well thrown ball.

Asack, in his one series, seemed to be crisper, and more on target. We were somewhat surprised that he passed as often as he did, and I'm guessing he doesn't have the downfield arm Lewis has, but if you can't get close to your target, it doesn't matter. There was one long pass in particular that was way overthrown, and only the talent and speed of Johnny Williams made it close. Williams, as Wes Chesson said on the radio last week, is a star in the making, even as a true freshman.

I will say that Lewis has clearly improved his field vision, looking at more than one receiver during a play.

Other observations...

Kevin Jones is a good punter, when he has the time. Last week, he had all the time he needed. This week, I only remember one punt like that. When he rushes, he loses a lot of distance, which will cost us down the road. (The bad snap wasn't his fault, obviously, although in hindsight it would have helped for him to have passed the ball rather than try and kick it. The ball would have at least returned to the previous point, which was about a 15 yard difference. It's probably very hard to think of that as you're being chased by large guys with purple helmets on.) The NW punter's rugby style linedrive punts worked well, something we tried for a while last year. You need time to set that up, and we didn't rush the punter very hard most of the game.

Eron Riley did go back in, and caught at least one pass late. Looked like it was his ankle that they were working on, before he was carted off to the XRay room up top.

Leon Wright continually played his man soft, which led to a lot of open passes/gains. Don't know how much was his playing, how much was the coaches instructions. I do know late in the game, for the third and long NW had just before punting to us for the final series, other defenders waved him up frantically to get him to play his man tight. He did, they had to punt, and after a penalty brought back a good punt, Wright ran the next one back to give us a chance.

Good to see the crowd at a decent level, I'm guessing a lot of employees who received free tickets last week bought a season pass and came back. Hope they come back next week at noon.

Lot's of videos/sound system encouraging/leading cheering. IF they do this even once in Cameron on the new screen...off with their heads.

TwoDukeTattoos
09-07-2008, 05:28 AM
...frustrating but not discouraging. It hurts not to get the win, but it is very encouraging to see the team dominate in all stat columns. A few mistakes less and we win by 2, 3 or 4 touchdowns. Can't wait to see the Blue against Navy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I was at the game. While the loss is frustrating, the team showed great improvement in a variety of ways: conditioning, total yards for the game, finishing without dropping off in the third quarter, more receivers developing, pretty good on the ground.

The crowd was smaller than last week not only because there were not free tickets for employees, but also Youth Day was rescheduled because of Hanna.

The Iron Duke/Varsity Day Event was the best yet. The shortage of parking passes for new season ticket holders and the huge increase in Iron Duke attendance at the annual function point to increased fan support. The Devil Walk is well worth the early arrival required to experience.

Our band came out for the pregame show marching almost like the double time version years ago. They played well, presented an interesting halftime show and kept playing during the game, including the third quarter when many used to take a break. If any of you folks reading these boards know kids who have been in their high school marching bands and are heading to Duke, encourage them to become a part of the athletic band.

Next week: Navy

formerdukeathlete
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Some people here will get on you about Lewis, talking about his statistics, and how good he was. Watching the game, I am more with you (as I was to some extent last year.)

Lewis, being shorter, tends to throw the ball fully extended to get the ball over the defenders. His mechanics lead to times when he releases the ball early (in particular when he's rolling out), leading to overthrows (especially clear on the shorter "draw them in then throw over their heads" passes.) Even when he completes passes, the slightly over or under thrown passes get the receivers out of stride, meaning that they can't gain as much as they could on a well thrown ball.

Asack, in his one series, seemed to be crisper, and more on target. We were somewhat surprised that he passed as often as he did, and I'm guessing he doesn't have the downfield arm Lewis has, but if you can't get close to your target, it doesn't matter. There was one long pass in particular that was way overthrown, and only the talent and speed of Johnny Williams made it close. Williams, as Wes Chesson said on the radio last week, is a star in the making, even as a true freshman.

I will say that Lewis has clearly improved his field vision, looking at more than one receiver during a play.

Other observations...

Kevin Jones is a good punter, when he has the time. Last week, he had all the time he needed. This week, I only remember one punt like that. When he rushes, he loses a lot of distance, which will cost us down the road. (The bad snap wasn't his fault, obviously, although in hindsight it would have helped for him to have passed the ball rather than try and kick it. The ball would have at least returned to the previous point, which was about a 15 yard difference. It's probably very hard to think of that as you're being chased by large guys with purple helmets on.) The NW punter's rugby style linedrive punts worked well, something we tried for a while last year. You need time to set that up, and we didn't rush the punter very hard most of the game.

Eron Riley did go back in, and caught at least one pass late. Looked like it was his ankle that they were working on, before he was carted off to the XRay room up top.

Leon Wright continually played his man soft, which led to a lot of open passes/gains. Don't know how much was his playing, how much was the coaches instructions. I do know late in the game, for the third and long NW had just before punting to us for the final series, other defenders waved him up frantically to get him to play his man tight. He did, they had to punt, and after a penalty brought back a good punt, Wright ran the next one back to give us a chance.

Good to see the crowd at a decent level, I'm guessing a lot of employees who received free tickets last week bought a season pass and came back. Hope they come back next week at noon.

Lot's of videos/sound system encouraging/leading cheering. IF they do this even once in Cameron on the new screen...off with their heads.

Regarding the qb situation, Asack had better scrimmages for the most part and a better spring game. In the last scrimmage, when the headline was "Lewis Shines," I believe Asack impersonated the JMU qb, and his stats were not even quoted.

Lewis' height is his biggest limitation. While he may be just about 6' he plays a little shorter than that in terms of mechanics.

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=611

I have to think if Asack steps it up in practice, that he will have more playing time. The teams we play will be getting taller, bigger, with the exception of Navy, and harder to throw against. Asack's 4 inch height advantage, accuracy on shorter passes and running ability could be the deciding factor in our winning more games.

grossbus
09-07-2008, 10:08 AM
how many in the stands?

DU82
09-07-2008, 10:14 AM
how many in the stands?

Official attendance was 23614. Seems about right, more accurate than the 32K last week, that was probably tickets distributed, there were a lot of holes in the stands, but overall looking much better than past years.

Devilsfan
09-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm impressed with Coach Cut's way of getting everyone ready and believing in his vision (mission). I find myself drinking the koolaid and liking the taste.

I really think we are just three or four larger, faster key players away from contending in our league. We are going to surprise someone this year if we stay healthy.

So many what ifs. What if two passes were not just off the receivers' finger tips? What if we have a perfect night long snapping (wish we would have red shirted that Hales boy)? What if those passes at the end were on target? What if #37 keeps his feet when he breaks into the clear (glad Auburn or Bama didn't go after him, nice find)? What if our assisant knew where to line up Ryan on the punt returns? What if we had better field position all night? We win by two or three touchdowns!

It was coaching genius when we pooched punted and when Cliff was put in for the last punt when we needed a return.

Thanks to Coach Cut and his VERY capable staff for making us all PROUD again. Now let's BEAT NAVY!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Official attendance was 23614. Seems about right, more accurate than the 32K last week, that was probably tickets distributed, there were a lot of holes in the stands, but overall looking much better than past years.
Considering that Youth Day was rescheduled and there weren't free tickets for employees, the attendance was still better than most home games in recent years. There has been a major increase in students attending.... and they've stayed to the end of the game and continued to cheer. The band played a very positive role last night in keeping crowd involvement and support high. Their entry into the stadium and pregame show were a great opening for what was an exciting game. I wish the players had come over to stand in front of the students during the Alma Mater as they did the previous week; that would be a good tradition to add regardless of the outcome of the game.

Devilsfan
09-07-2008, 10:51 AM
VERY impressive that the students stayed for the entire game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 11:07 AM
VERY impressive that the students stayed for the entire game.

Their numbers were great enough to overflow into other sections, too.

grossbus
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
surprised that we have as many night games as we do at home. what is the rationale for that. i would think afternoon games would draw better.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm disappointed in the result but not in the effort.

We are light years ahead of where we were last year. And, we have a lot of work to do to get to where we want to be.

I'm not concerned about the quarterback issue -- I think that's one thing everyone would agree is in Cut's wheelhouse. If he says X should play this series of downs, I believe him.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 12:59 PM
surprised that we have as many night games as we do at home. what is the rationale for that. i would think afternoon games would draw better.
A night game is a good choice when the weather is hot. In many places the early season games are night games because of the climate. We couldn't have night games for YEARS because we didn't have lights. One Duke - Wake game went into dusk; you could hardly see at the end off the game. Both teams had great passing games and the game lasted hours and hours... finally pushed the athletic department to install lights. I like night games and the atmosphere associated with them.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm disappointed in the result but not in the effort.

We are light years ahead of where we were last year. And, we have a lot of work to do to get to where we want to be.

I'm not concerned about the quarterback issue -- I think that's one thing everyone would agree is in Cut's wheelhouse. If he says X should play this series of downs, I believe him.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!
Hiring David Cutcliffe is one of the smartest things the athletic department has done in years. The man has the vision and the skills to lead Duke to respectability and excellence.

Constantstrain 81
09-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Great Duke attendance. We need more attendance from local folks who want to see a good game. The "Duke" areas were generally full, loud, and blue.

We lost it on third downs offensively and defensively. Too many 4th and 1, 4th and 2 punts. We gave up several big 3rd and long plays on defense when we had them on the ropes.

A word on Lewis. He looked good on many plays. That said, his over and under throws on many (I bet I counted seven or eight) are absolutely unacceptable to be able to play at this level. If you have the right play called, the pass is in the flat, the receiver is open, and the first down is there - then the Division I quarterback has to make that pass. 100% of the time. I think 5 or 6 times there was no pressure and no defender - he just threw the ball over the head of the defender (or into the ground). He also had some longer completions - but again - the pass was just too long or too short. Sometimes the receiver made the play, but then fell down just from the effort of getting to the ball. Several times the receiver was wide open for the touchdown and the pass was five yards too long.

I want Lewis to succeed - I like the kid. However, he has to produce with accurate passing. He produced some offense - but he gets the loss this week. It was his lack of accurate passing (on easy plays), that cost us.

Love the energy, though.

Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Great Duke attendance. We need more attendance from local folks who want to see a good game. The "Duke" areas were generally full, loud, and blue.

We lost it on third downs offensively and defensively. Too many 4th and 1, 4th and 2 punts. We gave up several big 3rd and long plays on defense when we had them on the ropes.

A word on Lewis. He looked good on many plays. That said, his over and under throws on many (I bet I counted seven or eight) are absolutely unacceptable to be able to play at this level. If you have the right play called, the pass is in the flat, the receiver is open, and the first down is there - then the Division I quarterback has to make that pass. 100% of the time. I think 5 or 6 times there was no pressure and no defender - he just threw the ball over the head of the defender (or into the ground). He also had some longer completions - but again - the pass was just too long or too short. Sometimes the receiver made the play, but then fell down just from the effort of getting to the ball. Several times the receiver was wide open for the touchdown and the pass was five yards too long.

I want Lewis to succeed - I like the kid. However, he has to produce with accurate passing. He produced some offense - but he gets the loss this week. It was his lack of accurate passing (on easy plays), that cost us.

Love the energy, though.

Go Duke!

I'm no expert regarding football, but it appeared to me that the team was smoother and got plays underway quicker in the first game. Last night there seemed to be an interval of delay between lining up and executing the play.... last week no such delays. The defense wasn't quite on top of Northwestern's offense the way they were all over James Madison. The game was exciting and kept the fans involved.... a big step up from the past.

I expect Coach Cutcliffe and the staff to analyze what happened and make adjustments in their preparation for Navy next weekend. In the post game interview, Coach Cutcliffe talked about needing to improve in the precision of execution. Coach's post game comments were strikingly insightful and succinct compared to most coaches' post game talk. The man talks details, not jargon or media hype.

devildeac
09-07-2008, 09:09 PM

DitBD has one right answer for the night games. Another is that TR wanted to play day games 'cuz he didn't want the players "sitting around all day waiting to play." It's pretty hot in WW with the sun beating down from noon-3 PM, although it was none too cool last PM (and the humidity felt great:rolleyes:). The field was in great shape after about 5 inches of rain overnight.

devildeac
09-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Love the energy, though.

Go Duke!

This is pretty accurate. FDA may be correct and Asack may see some more snaps on Saturday if Lewis continues to over/underthrow receivers. I think we only had 2 drops last PM. One or 2 possible TDs were overthrown and we had a guy trip over his own feet at about the NU 45 yard line after he broke behind the defense after catching the ball. And on our last play (4th and 15 after a holding penalty negated the go ahead TD), the pass was essentially uncatchable and OOB and probably even short of the required yardage for the 1st down.

We made 3 major mistakes and NU made none. We failed to cover the QB after a HB option went back across the field and he caught it at about our 1 yard line. We had a snap over our punter's head for about a 60 yard turn around and it led to a TD by NU. We also gave up about a 45 yard completion when they had 3rd and 10 at about their own 40 and that led to another TD. That particular CB or S was "picked on" frequently during the evening. We also had 2 nice long drives (IIRC) that ended up as FGs instead of TDs. Of course last year (10 years?), we would have missed the FGs:o.

C'mon out Saturday for a noon game. It's Bullock's BBQ and all the fixins on the main quad (I think). We have a much improved product on the field.

CameronBornAndBred
09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I think we only had 2 drops last PM. One or 2 possible TDs were overthrown and we had a guy trip over his own feet at about the NU 45 yard line after he broke behind the defense after catching the ball.

That play made me laugh, I told my stepson "That's two left feet from a touchdown".
One thing I really liked was our lack of penalties. Yes, there was a huge one at the end, but overall we have really done a great job in that department, a major improvement from last year.
Had fun meeting you, Ozzie and Devil in the Blue Dress, hope to meet even more of you in the future. Of course, that means you have to come out! GO DUKE!

devildeac
09-07-2008, 09:51 PM
That play made me laugh, I told my stepson "That's two left feet from a touchdown".
One thing I really liked was our lack of penalties. Yes, there was a huge one at the end, but overall we have really done a great job in that department, a major improvement from last year.
Had fun meeting you, Ozzie and Devil in the Blue Dress, hope to meet even more of you in the future. Of course, that means you have to come out! GO DUKE!

IIRC, 3 flags last week for 40 yards and 5 this week for 33 yards. One was for "illegal substitution" (we tried the 12 man defense but couldn't get the last guy off in time as NU snapped the ball pretty quickly as he left the field). I think we had 2 offensive holding flags, the last one being VERY costly:(.

Acymetric
09-07-2008, 09:54 PM
For what its worth, we're in the top half of the ACC in almost ever stat except for points per game. If there are any others I've already forgotten, and I don't feel like going through all those stat charts again. We also have a player in the top 3 for individual passing, receiving, and rushing yards. I realize that this early those stats aren't necessarily meaningful, but I think it bodes well for us in future games. I couldn't find anything for defensive stats, though I'd be interested in seeing those too if anyone has a link.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 09:55 PM

The Devil Walk offers unprecedented proximity to the players and Coach Cutcliffe. It costs nothing, but a plan to arrive ahead of time. All fans are equal for this activity. Come on out! You'll love it and the team!

FYI The Devil Walk begins at the Chapel approximately 2 and a half hours before kickoff.

DukeUsul
09-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm no expert regarding football, but it appeared to me that the team was smoother and got plays underway quicker in the first game. Last night there seemed to be an interval of delay between lining up and executing the play.... last week no such delays.

I was out of town so I didn't see the JMU game. But the delay in the NU game seemed to do a lot with offensive adjustments to the defensive set up. I noticed the delay quite a bit, often after NU would adjust the D or show blitz - Lewis would look over to the sideline for direction, and he might audible an adjustment. Seemed a good reason to me. Maybe someone who was watching the JMU D could tell us if they were coming out in a base package all the time, not necessitating calls from Lewis to adjust.

Acymetric
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I was out of town so I didn't see the JMU game. But the delay in the NU game seemed to do a lot with offensive adjustments to the defensive set up. I noticed the delay quite a bit, often after NU would adjust the D or show blitz - Lewis would look over to the sideline for direction, and he might audible an adjustment. Seemed a good reason to me. Maybe someone who was watching the JMU D could tell us if they were coming out in a base package all the time, not necessitating calls from Lewis to adjust.

They looked to the sideline for changes to the play on almost every down both games. It's part of the strategy, once they get a look at the defense.

devildeac
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM

This is somewhat amusing to watch. On many offensive plays at about the 20 second mark, the back/s, QB and receivers will look at the sidelines for several seconds for the play/instructions and then proceed with the snap, sometimes quickly and at other times, waiting until 3-5 seconds remain on the play clock. Can't complain as we have no delay of game penalties yet. (though we took a Gillen TO with only 7 seconds gone in the 1st Q last PM to avoid a delay penalty:o)

devildeac
09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
And, BTW, the men's BB player watching was active last PM. GH and JS sat down with the students for a while. JS came by our row and was more than gracious/happy to have his photo made with one of our female guests (who is in her late 40's, I think) who absolutely "idolizes" him. I'm gonna venture a guess and say that the photo will appear here soon if one of our less frequent posters is up to the task as he was after the JMU game;). SJ, KS, EW and DMc were spotted, too. KS looks like he really enjoys the game. Wonder why:D?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
And, BTW, the men's BB player watching was active last PM. GH and JS sat down with the students for a while. JS came by our row and was more than gracious/happy to have his photo made with one of our female guests (who is in her late 40's, I think) who absolutely "idolizes" him. I'm gonna venture a guess and say that the photo will appear here soon if one of our less frequent posters is up to the task as he was after the JMU game;). SJ, KS, EW and DMc were spotted, too. KS looks like he really enjoys the game. Wonder why:D?
Gerald Henderson and other basketball players waved and spoke to folks waiting for the Devil Walk to arrive at the Card Gym Lot. Mickey and Coach K were also strolling along the concourse and were very gracious to passersby. Paulus and a friend were in the student section next to our seats. Last week Lance and Nolan came by several times, stopping to talk with some of us veterans of Duke athletics.

Wander
09-07-2008, 11:28 PM
So.... since last year we went 1-11 with the only win coming over Northwestern, it's inevitable that this year we'll go 11-1 with the only loss coming from Northwestern. Right?

shereec
09-08-2008, 06:51 AM
This is somewhat amusing to watch. On many offensive plays at about the 20 second mark, the back/s, QB and receivers will look at the sidelines for several seconds for the play/instructions and then proceed with the snap, sometimes quickly and at other times, waiting until 3-5 seconds remain on the play clock. Can't complain as we have no delay of game penalties yet. (though we took a Gillen TO with only 7 seconds gone in the 1st Q last PM to avoid a delay penalty:o)

What is also amusing to watch is the sidelines: one player and one coach, side by side giving different signals. Our guess is that one set of signals is for the receivers and the other set for others.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2008, 08:48 AM
So.... since last year we went 1-11 with the only win coming over Northwestern, it's inevitable that this year we'll go 11-1 with the only loss coming from Northwestern. Right?

From your keyboard to God's ear.

PDDuke85
09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I like what I see!
Nope, the lads didn't win in the most important stat, but the change throughout is very palpable.

Love the no huddle approach. I suspect there are 2 sets of signals being sent in to confuse the Patriots (Joke, kidding, I'm a Pats fan for goodness sake)

The only downer was not getting to town early enough for Mrs. PDDuke85 to get to Bullocks for BBQ, but there will be other games!

My hat is off to Coach Cutcliff, the players, and the entire staff for a shorter trip up I 95 from the low country.
:)

devildeac
09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I like what I see!
Nope, the lads didn't win in the most important stat, but the change throughout is very palpable.

Love the no huddle approach. I suspect there are 2 sets of signals being sent in to confuse the Patriots (Joke, kidding, I'm a Pats fan for goodness sake)

The only downer was not getting to town early enough for Mrs. PDDuke85 to get to Bullocks for BBQ, but there will be other games!

My hat is off to Coach Cutcliff, the players, and the entire staff for a shorter trip up I 95 from the low country.
:)

You will need to leave the low country REAL early Saturday AM to get the Bullocks Q, which IIRC, is being served on the Main Quad starting at 9-10 AM for the pre-game tailgate at $20 PP. Any one else with any updates on that plan?

MulletMan
09-08-2008, 09:52 AM
What is also amusing to watch is the sidelines: one player and one coach, side by side giving different signals. Our guess is that one set of signals is for the receivers and the other set for others.

Most likely what is going on is that for each play call there are a set of audibles that the players are aware of from hours of practice and film work. They look to the sidelines on nearly every play and look to either the assistant or the 3rd string QB (who is the other player flashing signals). When the original play call came in from the sidelines, the players were told which set of signals to watch, and they are looking for something specific to delineate between running the play that was called, or calling an audible based on the defensive formation and what audible option that will be. The QB will then make an audible call to the linemen, who may not get up out of thier stance, in order to reset the blocking assignments.

Rest assured that Lewis and Asack have not been given the keys to the car so to speak. Also, running the no huddle allows for this apporach. Unfortunately, I notcied during the NWU game that most of the time when the players do not look to the sideline for an audible call, the play was a run. I'm sure that this will be noted by Cutty and staff and changed up in the future.

budwom
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Compared to some no-huddles I've seen, this really is kind of a huddle at the line of scrimmage, in that about as much time is consumed looking at the sidelines as a huddle would consume. Whatever it is, it has a cool look.

One other note from Saturday: after many of us noted the lack of delay of game penalties in the JMU game (a Duke specialty in the past), on the very first play from scrimmage we called a timeout because the play wasn't ready to go with one second left on the play clock. After that we looked more efficient.

devildeac
09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Compared to some no-huddles I've seen, this really is kind of a huddle at the line of scrimmage, in that about as much time is consumed looking at the sidelines as a huddle would consume. Whatever it is, it has a cool look.

One other note from Saturday: after many of us noted the lack of delay of game penalties in the JMU game (a Duke specialty in the past), on the very first play from scrimmage we called a timeout because the play wasn't ready to go with one second left on the play clock. After that we looked more efficient.

Our group noted that also and I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I think. I wondered if Coach X had reappeared on the sidelines for a guest play calling session:o.

6th Man
09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
This may have been mentioned earlier, but the NCAA has made a new rule this year that has caused this no huddle approach. There is not enough time to huddle anymore. Here is the new rule:

The play clock will be set to 40 seconds and will start when the ball is blown dead on the previous play. The old 25-second clock will be used on the referee's signal after a penalty, measurement, change of possession or timeout.

Supposed to increase the number of plays in the game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
A few comparisons of the first two games:

The total number of yards gained by Duke increased by more then 100yds. from the first game to the second with passing accounting for the increase. The defense allowed Northwestern 89 more yards than they allowed James Madison.

The offense also increased the number of first downs from the first game to the second game.

While it's still early to identify trends, I like that way these numbers are headed so far..... we know that to win football games, this team has to be capable of producing 400 yards or better..... numbers we could only read about in recent seasons. The defense is capable of limiting what their opponents can do.

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of improvements Coach Cutcliffe and the staff help the team to make in the Navy game. The emphasis is going to be on precise execution, a concept not seen in these parts for quite a while. We've got a high calibre staff with skill, knowledge and ability to teach the players ..... what a refreshing change! Wallace Wade must surely be smiling!

jv001
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
In the preseason, Coach Cut wanted 30pts per game. It looks like this may be possible(most games). We are rushing the ball and passing it as well. If we continue to improve, 30pts per game should be possible in most games. That would have been plenty in this game.

SharkD
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Can't complain as we have no delay of game penalties yet. (though we took a Gillen TO with only 7 seconds gone in the 1st Q last PM to avoid a delay penalty:o)

Actually, that was on the first play of the game, and they stopped the (25-sec) play clock at 1 sec with a TO.

The difference between this year and last, was that after the timeout, they put the mistake behind them, marched down the field and scored, as opposed to getting mentally stuck on the mistake and punting after three broken plays.

Here is the new rule:

The play clock will be set to 40 seconds and will start when the ball is blown dead on the previous play. The old 25-second clock will be used on the referee's signal after a penalty, measurement, change of possession or timeout.

Supposed to increase the number of plays in the game.Actually, it's just supposed to lessen the "dead" time, but I think it's going to catch a lot of teams in delay of game and illegal substitution penalties -- Duke nearly had the former during the 25-sec play clock at the beginning of the game, and had the latter, later in the game, when a player didn't make it off the field before the snap, due to the short substitution time, running from the far sideline.

shereec
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Most likely what is going on is that for each play call there are a set of audibles that the players are aware of from hours of practice and film work. They look to the sidelines on nearly every play and look to either the assistant or the 3rd string QB (who is the other player flashing signals). When the original play call came in from the sidelines, the players were told which set of signals to watch, and they are looking for something specific to delineate between running the play that was called, or calling an audible based on the defensive formation and what audible option that will be. The QB will then make an audible call to the linemen, who may not get up out of thier stance, in order to reset the blocking assignments.

Rest assured that Lewis and Asack have not been given the keys to the car so to speak. Also, running the no huddle allows for this apporach. Unfortunately, I notcied during the NWU game that most of the time when the players do not look to the sideline for an audible call, the play was a run. I'm sure that this will be noted by Cutty and staff and changed up in the future.

aHA! Thanks for the explanation. I figured somebody would know how that worked.

dukeballer2294
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I was reading the Duke Football yearbook and noticed that Re'quan Boyette was the starter. I know that he isnt playing andf this is a little late I think but what happened to him?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I was reading the Duke Football yearbook and noticed that Re'quan Boyette was the starter. I know that he isnt playing andf this is a little late I think but what happened to him?

Here's a link to an article on goduke.com. Surgery following knee injury in practice.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1552362

dukeballer2294
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the link but was he playing this year. In the stat sheet it always has harris on top but it says Boyette was injured last saturday.

DU82
09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Thank you for the link but was he playing this year. In the stat sheet it always has harris on top but it says Boyette was injured last saturday.

Boyette's been on crutches for both games so far. He was injured in preseason. That link's story was dated August 10th.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Dahlin', I've attended all the games so far. Boyette was injured back in August in practice and had surgery..... out indefinitely. He has not been out on the field in any capacity except on crutches. The link I provided is for an article dated August 10.

dukeballer2294
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
O srry I wasnt really paying attention that much, I just read the link and had to go. Thanks for the info.