PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude

Madrasdukie
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Schadenfreude

Jumbo
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Finally something goes right!!!! Analyze in other thread. Celebrate here!!!

CDu
03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
And it feels so good!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Down goes Wright, down goes Lawson, down goes ... well, you get the idea!

I hate schadenfreude, but jeez, I sure am glad carolina lost.:D

ChrisP
03-25-2007, 07:33 PM
They had this game won! 7-9 pt lead most of the half and then...CHOKE! I LOVE IT!!!

Tappan Zee Devil
03-25-2007, 07:33 PM
One evil team gone - I have just become a UCLA fan (at least for one game)

GTHC GTHC

Jim

calltheobvious
03-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Hoya Saxa!, Go Duke!, War Eagle!, and GO TO HELL, CAROLINA!!!

jimbonelson
03-25-2007, 07:35 PM
wow.............what a game by that kid green how good is he i feel almost as happy as i do after a duke win......................sorry about spelling and grammer ...i am not a duke grad

Bluedevilsfanforever
03-25-2007, 07:40 PM
WOOHOO Got all final four right. Had UCLA, Ohio State,Florida, and G.Town. But it feels so great seeing Cryolina Choke. I loved seeing the Cryolina sad faces. Right now it feels good that Cryonlina is gone gone gone.

BDP
03-25-2007, 07:40 PM
I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish80
03-25-2007, 07:41 PM
way to go hoyas! one thing left to do - knock out the gators. i don't want to see noah screaming any more. but i would like a horford clone to play for us.

BDP
03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
I think that guy has more screams per game than points!! It drives me crazy.

RockyMtDevil
03-25-2007, 07:45 PM
WOW,
I've been in the hospital all morning, been sick all week but all of a sudden I found a miracle cure!! Hoyas in Overtime in one of the biggest carolina meltdown's I've witnessed.

Who needs an antibiotic, I feel great!:)

ed b.
03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Because not only am I a lifelong duke fan, I am also a GU grad. Hoya Saxa! Life is good.

Lavabe
03-25-2007, 07:51 PM
... which means I can go to work all this week without seeing their fans, and hearing about them on local radio. :cool:

Where do we buy G'town gear for the Caro-whine-a game next year?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Chard
03-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Saratoga2
03-25-2007, 07:52 PM
UNC tanked in the final minutes. Did you ever see shooting get off by that much? Georgetown really was getting shafted with touch calls early and then the refs seemed to decide not to be as much of a factor and Georgetown got to use its big players for the entire overtime.

I picked them to go all the way this year so it was doubly satisfying for me.

Coballs
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Down Goes Frasor!! Down Goes Frasor!!

Drebly1
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Agreed on the title...

My question after this debacle: Is it more enjoyable to see your team win, or to see the rival lose? As a Carolina fan/alumnus, I say that it's better to see Duke lose than Carolina win. Why? I expect both teams to win every game, so when Duke loses I am euphoric. That is the reality. Some of my UNC brethren say that I am a poor sport for feeling this way, but I disagree with their opinions often. Looking for some honest feedback here, not the obvious taunting...

Regardless, looking forward to 2007/2008. I hope the Duke v UNC clashes are as legendary as usual.

(Moderators - please note that this is not inflammatory, hostile, rude, derogatory, or otherwise offensive)

Chard
03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Down Goes Frasor!! Down Goes Frasor!!

LOL. That is what my Carolina fan friend sent via text when Duke lost. I just sent one back to him: Misery loves company!

The world is righted. The balance has been restored. The dark side has been defeated.

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 07:56 PM
I feel relief when UNC loses, not joy.

Although, arguably it's relief not joy when Duke wins, too.

I'd far rather see us win than you lose though.

Jumbo
03-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Agreed on the title...

My question after this debacle: Is it more enjoyable to see your team win, or to see the rival lose? As a Carolina fan/alumnus, I say that it's better to see Duke lose than Carolina win. Why? I expect both teams to win every game, so when Duke loses I am euphoric. That is the reality. Some of my UNC brethren say that I am a poor sport for feeling this way, but I disagree with their opinions often. Looking for some honest feedback here, not the obvious taunting...

Regardless, looking forward to 2007/2008. I hope the Duke v UNC clashes are as legendary as usual.

(Moderators - please note that this is not inflammatory, hostile, rude, derogatory, or otherwise offensive)

If you post like this from now on, you should have no problems here. Nice, interesting, intelligent post. You can offer something to the community (a stark contrast to the way you started here).

Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer a Duke win. That said, I understand the feeling you're describing. When your team wins, it is a relief. And it's hard to get giddy, because you are already worried about the next game. So, I understand your feeling of euphoria after a Duke loss compared to a UNC win. That said, I'm not a hater. And while I root against UNC, I root harder for Duke to win.

BlueDevilBaby
03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
First smile in a while. Friend who is a UNC fan called me during the game and started talking about matchup with Oden and OSU. Way to count your chickens! HaaaaHaaaaa!:)

HK Dukie
03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Drebly, I actually cheer to UNC-CH out of conference during the regular season. I take no great joy from their losses as that would hurt all ACC teams and some of the joy of the rivalry. In the ACC and during tournament time, I do take some relief in seeing UNC-CH lose, but I love to see Duke win a lot more.

Drebly and others on board, which do you prefer?

(1) Duke and Carolina win the NCAA championship in the next two years.

(2) Neither wins the NCAA championship in the next two years.

I personally prefer option 1, thus I suppose I take more joy from our winning than their losing. What about you?

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 08:06 PM
That's a good thought experiment to frame the issue, NYC.

RockyMtDevil
03-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Like Jumbo, I tend to really get more out of Duke wins than say a unc loss. Especially this year, I enjoyed watching this carolina team play. I wished we played their style more, or at least had that talent.

All that said, what a joy to watch them lose today. I've been sick all week but feel so much better relishing in unc's pain!!!

I'm sick, I know!

glutton
03-25-2007, 08:10 PM
jeez, how do reporters come up with these questions?

"coach, could you compare the joy you felt winning the championship two years ago to the disappointment you're feeling now?"

umm, one is joy, one is disappointment. they're pretty much the opposite of each other. one feels great, the other sucks.

hurleyfor3
03-25-2007, 08:10 PM
hey, did no one tell curalonna there was an overtime?

Duke84Blue
03-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I was going to suggest that UNC pulled a "Rick Fox" (1992 Final Four semi-final vs. Kansas where he went 5 of 22 helping Kansas advance to the title game), but that would be an insult to Mr. Fox. I have Carolina (unofficially) making only 3 of their last 25 shots today.

glutton
03-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Drebly, I actually cheer to UNC-CH out of conference during the regular season. I take no great joy from their losses as that would hurt all ACC teams and some of the joy of the rivalry. In the ACC and during tournament time, I do take some relief in seeing UNC-CH lose, but I love to see Duke win a lot more.

I personally prefer option 1, thus I suppose I take more joy from our winning than their losing. What about you?

yeah, I prefer option 1. there are some teams I hate *so much* that I really take joy in their losing (see: 2005-06 uconn), but generally duke winning is the primary concern.

Atlanta Duke
03-25-2007, 08:32 PM
jeez, how do reporters come up with these questions?

"coach, could you compare the joy you felt winning the championship two years ago to the disappointment you're feeling now?"

umm, one is joy, one is disappointment. they're pretty much the opposite of each other. one feels great, the other sucks.

I actually laughed when I heard the question, but it was a good question in terms of what was being sought; I think the question was not intended to get any sort of analytical response but was intended to get Roy to cry, which it almost did.

While Roy did not cry, we did get Roy's feisty response about fans wanting to see him cry after losses but not being tough enough to say it to his face. So in terms of looking for a sound bite that questioner got what he was looking for.

TheDuke11
03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
we kinda get the best of both worlds on this one though if you think about it...we were able to cheer when Duke BEAT THE LIVING HELL (that was an exageration) out of gtown, and also able to cheer when gtown BEAT THE LIVING HELL out of unc. It worked out.

Duke12
03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
.....you can't leave Mike Tissaw off this team. Hey UNC it's Butch Davis time!

Bostondevil
03-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Drebly, it is always better to see Duke win, always. I'm told this is one of the many reasons we Duke fans garner so much hatred.

(But I did pick Georgetown to the Final Four in my pool!)

calltheobvious
03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I realize that what I'm feeling now seems to be higher on the excitement/joy scale than it actually is, given my emotional state of 24 hours ago; but I haven't FELT like things were this good since I was in the Georgia Dome in March of '04. Not proud of that, but it's true.

Virginian
03-25-2007, 09:58 PM
It's pleasant enough to see Carolina fall apart at the end of the game, but it reminds me of how many times our guys did the same this year, losing by one or two points, often in overtime, after having a lead late in the game. A really sucky way to lose a game.

Also, it doesn't give me any joy to realize how poorly the ACC did overall in this tournament. We were supposed to be the dominant conference in the country. This tournament was a debacle for the ACC, which isn't going to help recruitment a bit.

Ah well, next year things will no doubt be different. Or at least I hope so.

Lastly, I'm sure no fan of Georgetown. Our victory over them this year didn't begin to make up for the pain of losing to them last year. I will NOT be rooting for them next weekend.

karmacoma
03-25-2007, 10:11 PM
From the N&O:

"Hansbrough seemed almost possessed, looking much more like the beast his teammates call 'Psycho T' for his practice mania than the big guy who's partial to pedicures."

After the Shav-and-his-steak ridicule, this would appear to be fair game. :D

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
1) Also, it doesn't give me any joy to realize how poorly the ACC did overall in this tournament. We were supposed to be the dominant conference in the country. This tournament was a debacle for the ACC, which isn't going to help recruitment a bit.

2) Lastly, I'm sure no fan of Georgetown. Our victory over them this year didn't begin to make up for the pain of losing to them last year. I will NOT be rooting for them next weekend.

1) 7-7. Yuck.

2) Me too. I still don't like them for their teams of 20-25 years ago, frankly.

Madrasdukie
03-25-2007, 10:14 PM

I like option 1 but would prefer that:
1. Duke wins before Carolina.
2. Duke beats Carolina enroute to the championship.
3. Carolina doesn't meet Duke enroute to its championship.
4. There's a mass exodus from Carolina after their loss to Duke in say the
National championship game.
5. There's another mass exodus from Carolina after their championship.
6. Duke doesn't suffer any significant exodus and rips through
Carolina during year # 3 (4-0) enroute to its next championship.

HK Dukie
03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
I can agree to that Madras

dukepsy1963
03-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I had to leave for a potentially dull party when score was 78-81....thought UNC was in control. I arrive at the party and the host tells me UNC lost!

Best Party ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9F x 1,000,000

Uncle Drew
03-26-2007, 01:05 AM
The evil empire with their masses of media lovers and brainwashed fans got served the cold turkey that has been waiting on them since Thanksgiving. Guess Tyler can get his nose job, root canal and hopefully hit the tanning bed!

Delaware
03-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Check out picture number 28.... sorry I could not figure out how to copy and paste just that picture.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1195/story/557672.html

rsvman
03-26-2007, 09:21 AM
It's exponentially better when Duke wins than when Carolina loses. Not even close.

That said, I enjoyed watching them lose last night. There were lots of cheers in my house during the OT when G'town kept adding to the lead.

But, in the end, it's kind of a fleeting, hollow happiness. By this morning, it's faintly pleasant, and that's about it. Had it been a Duke win propelling them into the Final Four I'd be positively euphoric right now and the buzz would last a LOT longer.

TheDuke11
03-26-2007, 10:11 AM
good call. the moment itself was pure jubilation, but really I could care less this am. I'm sad again that Duke is at home watching again for the 6th year in a row, and the women are having to go through that mess they are dealing with.

ugh.

DankeShane
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
This might make a good avatar for someone:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4623/unc01ph8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Indoor66
03-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Maybe we should allow for them to feel and display the same pain we feel when we lose....

throatybeard
03-26-2007, 10:47 AM

ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora chokeis nostrae

JStuart
03-26-2007, 10:48 AM
On the local sports radio this am (850 the Buzz in the triangle) Adam Gold, interviewing Tyler after the game, got the following response as to what he takes away from this season: (abridged)'I'll take away good relationships with the other guys on the team; relationships that will last a lifetime.'

Now, how many times have the IC and other Hole fans berated Coach K for his "it's all about relationships" in coaching?
Think they'll cringe at Hansblah's comments?
Nah.
I can watch the Final Four without a feeling of dread now!

DankeShane
03-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe we should allow for them to feel and display the same pain we feel when we lose....

Woops, sorry - thought this was a thread about schadenfreude....

Exiled_Devil
03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Fun from an ESPN article by Doug "Dear God" Gottlieb

• Carolina has a bunch of former high school All-Americans, yet the only player who can consistently knock down the 3 in a tight spot also is a former walk-on (Wes Miller) who transferred in from James Madison.

That is definitely schadenfruede after all the McD comments we get.

Exiled

devildownunder
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
It's exponentially better when Duke wins than when Carolina loses. Not even close.

That said, I enjoyed watching them lose last night. There were lots of cheers in my house during the OT when G'town kept adding to the lead.

But, in the end, it's kind of a fleeting, hollow happiness. By this morning, it's faintly pleasant, and that's about it. Had it been a Duke win propelling them into the Final Four I'd be positively euphoric right now and the buzz would last a LOT longer.

The joy I feel from seeing ... those people lose in the tournament when we've already lost and I'm staring a lameblue NC dead in the face last a long, long time. :D :D