PDA

View Full Version : Wake Forest 30, Ole Mess 28

throatybeard
09-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Deacons trail 14-10 at halftime. In Winston. They killed OM two years ago in Oxford. Of course, the Confederates are much improved. This is a game the ACC can ill-afford to lose. Miami is likely to get rolled by UF, and we'll have our hands full with NU. (About a touchdown dog). Pretty much everyone else in the league is playing little teams OOC.

Wander
09-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Pretty much everyone else in the league is playing little teams OOC.

And STILL doing poorly. Virginia is only up 3-0 late in the first half against a (decent) 1-AA team. Virginia Tech only led Furman by 3 at halftime. Clemson is winning by 14 so that's hardly a disaster, but against Citadel at home a team like that should have opened up a bigger margin. I do think Wake will end up winning.

We really have a chance to win multiple conference games this season - a great year for Cutcliffe to come in.

YmoBeThere
09-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Hmmm, hopefully this all turns around. If not, maybe we(ACC) should opt out of the BCS or whatever it is called.

YmoBeThere
09-06-2008, 05:59 PM
A decent 3rd quarter has them up 20-14...

SilkyJ
09-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Ole miss scored, but WF came right back and is playing solid half way through the 4th. 27-21 wake..

SilkyJ
09-06-2008, 06:55 PM
wow. ole miss scores on a completely busted play on 4th and 2 from their 5 with 1 minute left...wake on the opponents 40 with 20 seconds left and a great kicker on their sideline...

SilkyJ
09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Swank drills a 41 yarder with 3 seconds left. WF wins 30-28

on a related note, how about ECU straight up OWNING WVU?!

sue71, esq
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Go Wake!

ugadevil
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Great game from Ole Miss and Wake. Really seemed like the last time to have the ball was going to win. Fortunately for the Deacs, they were the last ones with the ball.

sagegrouse
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
on a related note, how about ECU straight up OWNING WVU?!

This looks like a good year NOT to schedule ECU.

sagegrouse

fan345678
09-06-2008, 07:15 PM
ECU is crushing #8 West Virginia 24-3, so VT's loss last week to ECU (27-22) doesn't look so bad.

And nobody seems to be talking about the ineptitude of the Big East, with Pitt losing to Bowling Green last week, Kentucky crushing Louisville in similar fashion to SC's win over NCSU, and Akron beating Syracuse this week.

Lotus000
09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't think anybody is taking ECU seriously this year, and they seem to have a pretty good ballclub.

BTW, NEVER bet on Houston the Nut to win a close game in the SEC. I lived close to AR when I was younger, and he's AWWWWFUUUULLLL (much to my happiness and undying glee since I can't stand the Razorbacks).

ugadevil
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd put West Virginia in the same category as Clemson. They never seem to be able to live up to the hype and play consistently when they need to. Watch out for ECU now as their next two out of conference games are against ACC foes.

My question about ECU based on their first two games of the season is...If you're a voter, where would you rank ECU?

wilson
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
My question about ECU based on their first two games of the season is...If you're a voter, where would you rank ECU?

They considered this question on the ESPN postgame. According to Mark May, they should be easily in the top 12. As the resident Pirate around these parts, that definitely works for me. One thing I know...there isn't another team in the country with a more impressive pair of wins. Also, as I said in the ECU-specific thread I just posted, the Pirates will be favored in all of their remaining games. This is quite a good shot for them to sneak into the BCS.

throatybeard
09-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I'd put West Virginia in the same category as Clemson. They never seem to be able to live up to the hype and play consistently when they need to. Watch out for ECU now as their next two out of conference games are against ACC foes.

While WVU laid a major egg today, this equation of them with Clemson is inaccurate. In the last 5 seasons, Clemmy is 40-23, never losing fewer than 4 games in a season. (2-2 in bowls). They've never made it to the ACCCG since expansion. WVU OTOH is 49-14 with three 1- or 2-loss seasons. (3-2 in bowls). With 3 BE championships including one when Miami was still in the conference and still good. The BE has arguably been a tougher league than the ACC the last 3 or 4 seasons.

East Carolina has beaten the 17th ranked team and the 8th ranked team. (Qualification about preseason polls). They should crack the poll somewhere around 12-15.

ugadevil
09-07-2008, 10:05 AM
They considered this question on the ESPN postgame. According to Mark May, they should be easily in the top 12. As the resident Pirate around these parts, that definitely works for me. One thing I know...there isn't another team in the country with a more impressive pair of wins. Also, as I said in the ECU-specific thread I just posted, the Pirates will be favored in all of their remaining games. This is quite a good shot for them to sneak into the BCS.

I hope they receive at least one vote for No. 1!

Wander
09-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I hope they receive at least one vote for No. 1!

East Carolina over Fresno State in the national title game?

throatybeard
09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
East Carolina has beaten the 17th ranked team and the 8th ranked team. (Qualification about preseason polls). They should crack the poll somewhere around 12-15.

Ahem.

14 it is: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3574200

bhd28
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't think anybody is taking ECU seriously this year, and they seem to have a pretty good ballclub.

BTW, NEVER bet on Houston the Nut to win a close game in the SEC. I lived close to AR when I was younger, and he's AWWWWFUUUULLLL (much to my happiness and undying glee since I can't stand the Razorbacks).

Heh... you must have lived in Texas. If there was one team Arkansas always beat, it was Texas.

throatybeard
09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Heh... you must have lived in Texas. If there was one team Arkansas always beat, it was Texas.

Huh? Arkansas is 21-55 against Texas.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/opponents_records.php?teamid=3198

Nutt did go 2-1 against the Longhorns. A Cotton Bowl win, a win at Austin, and a loss at home. So that would make Arkansas 20-54 against Texas before the Hogs left to go to the SEC.

bhd28
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Huh? Arkansas is 21-55 against Texas.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/opponents_records.php?teamid=3198

Nutt did go 2-1 against the Longhorns. A Cotton Bowl win, a win at Austin, and a loss at home. So that would make Arkansas 20-54 against Texas before the Hogs left to go to the SEC.
Umm... he was talking about Nutt, wasn't he? I guess I just assumed from those comments that he was near my age and only really watching football seriously since the early 90s. Silly me for not assuming he was over 100 years old and watching games since the start of the 1900s. Thanks for the clarification, though. Here is a cheer to Lotus000's centennial birthday... whenever it was! PS. Throaty, are you his son or grandson?:D (PSS. Just to make things absolutely clear... This post is done in jest... mostly. :o)

throatybeard
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Umm... he was talking about Nutt, wasn't he? I guess I just assumed from those comments that he was near my age and only really watching football seriously since the early 90s. Silly me for not assuming he was over 100 years old and watching games since the start of the 1900s. Thanks for the clarification, though. Here is a cheer to Lotus000's centennial birthday... whenever it was! PS. Throaty, are you his son or grandson?:D (PS. Just to make things absolutely clear... This post is done in jest... mostly. :o)

Congratulations on Nutt's 1-game-over-.500 record against Texas. Or, if you prefer, his .500 regular-season record against them.

bhd28
09-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Congratulations on Nutt's 1-game-over-.500 record against Texas. Or, if you prefer, his .500 regular-season record against them.
Thank you... I take great pride in it. :D Honestly, I am not even a real fan of theirs... except for a guy from my old HS who plays for them. I do always appreciate a well thought out snarky comment, though.. and I give that one a B... well, B-. But seriously, did I do something to tick you off or something? All I did was wonder where a guy was from and have a strong memory of a couple of wins a team shouldn't have had. Have you just had a bad day? If so, I hope your week is better than your weekend.:)