PDA

View Full Version : captains named

jimsumner
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Paulus, Henderson & Scheyer Named Captains For 2008-09 Season

DURHAM, N.C. — Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced that senior Greg Paulus along with juniors Gerald Henderson and Jon Scheyer were named team captain for the 2008-09 season. Paulus was also a team captain in 2006-07, while Henderson and Scheyer are first time captains.

“We are excited to have these three men as our team captains,” said Krzyzewski. “They have each grown into outstanding leaders on and off the court and we are looking forward to watching their growth continue. The leadership skills of Greg, Gerald and Jon will provide a great foundation to build on for our team.”

Paulus has played in 103 career games entering the season and boasts career averages of 9.9 points, 2.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game. He is also shooting 41.5 percent (173-of-417) from three-point range to rank 12th in the ACC record books (fourth at Duke).

Henderson is averaging 9.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 66 career games. He is coming off a breakthrough sophomore campaign in which averaged 12.7 points and 4.7 rebounds, while leading the team in dunks (45) and blocked shots (31).

Scheyer enters his third season at Duke 201 points shy of becoming the 57th 1,000-point scorer in Blue Devil history. He is averaging 11.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 67 career games. The Northbrook, Ill., native ranks fifth in ACC history (second at Duke) with a career .867 free throw percentage (235-of-271). After starting 32 games as a freshman, Scheyer came off the bench last year and quickly became one of the top sixth men in the country.

Wander
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, so much for that one captain thing.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, so much for that one captain thing.

Yeah, and no Dave McClure (yet).

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
obviously Paulus, but... Gerald and Scheyer too? I admit, I did not see that coming...

My first thought about three captains wold be that it didn't work before because we had three INEXPERIENCED captain and no defact0 leader who, in the words of K, "could teach tradition and what it means to be a Duke basketball player." Now we have lots of experience on the team and a defacto leader in Paulus.

Congratulations to all three!

Edouble
09-05-2008, 12:40 PM
WOW! Three captains! I'm very suprised.

Congratulations to all three.

If I were Paulus, I might be a little hurt/insulted. Last year, he was not given a second year as a captain, with the reason being IIRC that the captaincy was getting watered down, and Coach K was going to bring a little more importance to the position by having DeMarcus serve as the sole captain. Now, the next year, in his senior year, he's a tri-captain? One could read into it that last year Coach K had more of a problem with Paulus being a captain, than having multiple captains.

-bdbd
09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
WOW! Three captains! I'm very suprised.

Congratulations to all three.

If I were Paulus, I might be a little hurt/insulted. Last year, he was not given a second year as a captain, with the reason being IIRC that the captaincy was getting watered down, and Coach K was going to bring a little more importance to the position by having DeMarcus serve as the sole captain. Now, the next year, in his senior year, he's a tri-captain? One could read into it that last year Coach K had more of a problem with Paulus being a captain, than having multiple captains.

Disagree a little bit. There are varying reasons to name someone Captain. In the case of Henderson and Scheyer I suspect that it might be, partly, a way to "pull more leadership out of them." Yes, Paulus' choice was obvious, but a tri-captaincy might even be an attempt to HELP him, by not over-burening Greg with those responsibilities too (in addition to the starting PG load). I defer to the master-chemist, Coach K, as only he knows what combo best serves the team, and these players.

-BDBD :cool:

adam
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, and no Dave McClure (yet).

I'm disappointed. I was hoping for McClure to be included as well. I thought it would be Paulus and McClure as the team captains, with Scheyer and Henderson leading the way next year.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
CYNICAL ANALYSIS: Paulus was always going to be captain, but K believes in the importance of a breakout year for Gerald to this team and really wanted to make him take ownership of the team and it's success. However, he could not name just Paulus and Gerald and leave out Jon because Jon is every bit as deserving... so K went with all three. I believe K related this thought process to Greg and Greg agreed so there will be no feelings hurt there. Last year everyone on campus wondered why Jon was starting as the sixth man at the beginning of the year and it was a not-so-well kept secret that Gerald was given the starter's role over Jon because Gerald's ego would be badly bruised if he came off the bench and Jon's would not. Take from that what you will.

NON CYNICAL ANALYSIS: K added Jon and Gerald because he likes to have a captain on the floor at all times to take control of huddles and rally the troops. Last year Demarcus played heavy minutes, and when he wasn't on the floor Paulus usually was (and lets be honest, he was the vocal leader last year and filled the role of captain on the floor at times even though he didn't have the title). This year, Paulus will probably not be playing as heavy minutes as Demarcus did and K simply wants a captain on the floor when Paulus is out. He couldn't take just Gerald or Scheyer so he took both.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm really surprised that there is not more discussion on this thread...

Edouble
09-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Disagree a little bit. There are varying reasons to name someone Captain. In the case of Henderson and Scheyer I suspect that it might be, partly, a way to "pull more leadership out of them." Yes, Paulus' choice was obvious, but a tri-captaincy might even be an attempt to HELP him, by not over-burening Greg with those responsibilities too (in addition to the starting PG load). I defer to the master-chemist, Coach K, as only he knows what combo best serves the team, and these players.

-BDBD :cool:

I don't think what I said is something that one disagrees with, per say. I said "If I were Greg Paulus...". There's not much to disagree with. I really think that if I were Greg Paulus, I would have those thoughts in my head.

I didn't say that Coach K didn't make the right choice for the team.

I didn't say Greg should be insulted/hurt, but if I were him I would be a little insulted/hurt.

We don't know what Coach K has said to these players, or even just to Greg beind closed doors, but just based on last year's policy on captaincy, and this year's naming of captains, this is the first thing that comes to mind. It WOULD rub me a little bit if I were him. Hopefully it won't be an issue with the actual Greg Paulus, but he's only human, and I don't think it's unreasonable if he felt a little slighted.

jv001
09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
CYNICAL ANALYSIS: Paulus was always going to be captain, but K believes in the importance of a breakout year for Gerald to this team and really wanted to make him take ownership of the team and it's success. However, he could not name just Paulus and Gerald and leave out Jon because Jon is every bit as deserving... so K went with all three. I believe K related this thought process to Greg and Greg agreed so there will be no feelings hurt there. Last year everyone on campus wondered why Jon was starting as the sixth man at the beginning of the year and it was a not-so-well kept secret that Gerald was given the starter's role over Jon because Gerald's ego would be badly bruised if he came off the bench and Jon's would not. Take from that what you will.

NON CYNICAL ANALYSIS: K added Jon and Gerald because he likes to have a captain on the floor at all times to take control of huddles and rally the troops. Last year Demarcus played heavy minutes, and when he wasn't on the floor Paulus usually was (and lets be honest, he was the vocal leader last year and filled the role of captain on the floor at times even though he didn't have the title). This year, Paulus will probably not be playing as heavy minutes as Demarcus did and K simply wants a captain on the floor when Paulus is out. He couldn't take just Gerald or Scheyer so he took both.
All good points. I think DEMark talked more on the court last year than he did the other 3 years combined. We need Gerald to take that kind of leadership. I am looking for Gerald to have a break out year. Jon and Greg were no brainers as far as I'm concerned. Congratulations to all 3 fine young men. Go Duke!

Edouble
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm really surprised that there is not more discussion on this thread...

I am too.

Big question: In various thread this summer, the subject of next year's potential starting five has been tossed around quite a bit. IIRC, the player who was most "liked" to keep Scheyer out of the starting five, according to a poll thread, was Nolan Smith. With Scheyer as a captain, is there any way he does not start? A few other posters wanted Nolan Smith as our starting PG as opposed to Paulus. Now that Paulus is a capatin officially, is there a scenario where this happens?

I'm not asking "Who is next year's starting five", but rather "How does a tri-captaincy affect next year's starting five, if there is any effect at all"? Especially interested in hearing from those that think Nolan (and even Elliott Williams, according to a few pollsters) is going to start next year.

I know there have definitely been some senior captains that didn't start, but I can't recall any non-starting, non-senior captains.

I personally think this captaincy all but cements the three captains into the staring five.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I am too.

Big question: In various thread this summer, the subject of next year's potential starting five has been tossed around quite a bit. IIRC, the player who was most "liked" to keep Scheyer out of the starting five, according to a poll thread, was Nolan Smith. With Scheyer as a captain, is there any way he does not start? A few other posters wanted Nolan Smith as our starting PG as opposed to Paulus. Now that Paulus is a capatin officially, is there a scenario where this happens?

I'm not asking "Who is next year's starting five", but rather "How does a tri-captaincy affect next year's starting five, if there is any effect at all"? Especially interested in hearing from those that think Nolan (and even Elliott Williams, according to a few pollsters) is going to start next year.

I know there have definitely been some senior captains that didn't start, but I can't recall any non-starting, non-senior captains.

I personally think this captaincy all but cements the three captains into the staring five.

The choice of captains just solidified what most reasonable posters on this board have said all summer. The starters will undoubtedly be PAULUS, SCHEYER, HENDERSON, SINGLER, and ZOUBEK/THOMAS (tbd).

mgtr
09-05-2008, 03:56 PM
The choice of captains just solidified what most reasonable posters on this board have said all summer. The starters will undoubtedly be PAULUS, SCHEYER, HENDERSON, SINGLER, and ZOUBEK/THOMAS (tbd).

Since I have been continually in the above-mentioned group, I love the use of the word "reasonable".

Troublemaker
09-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Heh. The "explanation" for there being tri-captains might be a bit simpler than what I'm reading. I like any of these:

(1) As the sole captain last season, Demarcus performed great for most of the season but then became worn down, leading to a downturn in his production at the end. Coach K felt that Demarcus took on too many burdens as captain and "cared too much" as the leader, and so this season, he wants the duties of captaincy to be shared by 3 deserving players instead of just 1. This will help with the "fun" factor.

(2) Coach K just finished coaching a successful team in which several players -- Bryant, James, Kidd, Wade -- had a hand in leading, each in his own way.

(3) Paulus, Henderson, and Scheyer were all clearly going to be leaders on this team anyway due to their experience and status. This announcement of tri-captains just makes things official for the fans but Greg, Jon, and Gerald were already acting the part, anyway.

sagegrouse
09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I
I didn't say that Coach K didn't make the right choice for the team.

I didn't say Greg should be insulted/hurt, but if I were him I would be a little insulted/hurt.

To which I have three things to say:

(1) Greg is the PG on the team, a captain, a senior, a really smart guy, and -- by all accounts -- the most vocal guy on the court. Now exactly why would he resent sharing a title with Jon and Gerald (esp. since one reason is to make Gerald more assertive)?

(2) Anyone who would resent this move probably isn't the right guy to be captain.

(3) [It's my day for bad football analogies.] The football QB is not always the captain. Does that make him less of a leader on the field? Is this a good analogy with the PG in hoops?

FWIW, this topic may have well been discussed between K and Greg before a final decision was made. Who knows? Maybe it's all Greg's idea (see point #1 above).

sagegrouse

devilish
09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Does K select or do the players vote?

mgtr
09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I would bet a fair amount of money this is no democracy.

ACCBBallFan
09-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Hard to imagine any lineups where not one of those 3 will be on the court. So coach K will always have at least one captain on the floor which would not have been the case with only Paulus/McClure.

I have no way of knowing how much leadership or lack thereof Dave has exhibited, but he seems to be a team first guy that does the little things and he certainly knows the Duke system. It's just that his role iwll be in reserve duty for Singler or Henderson.

I view Dave's role as captain of the greyhounds, the practice players who have lots of skill and athelticism but not much if any ACC experience such as EWill, Olek, Miles, and also Marty, Nolan and the other of Lance/Zoubs.

Marty is Dave's apprentice to assume that practice captain role next year, if he elects to pass up Euro dollars next season.

Jumbo
09-05-2008, 08:40 PM

K selects, but has a very good idea of who the players want and who the leaders are.

The speculation in this thread is understandable, but a little bit silly, when you think about it. None of us knows the dynamic of the team. None of us knows what went on when the season ended, and who stepped up, took charge through the summer, etc. FTR, I'm not surprised at all that Henderson and Scheyer were added to the captain mix -- both are excellent leaders from everything I've heard. I doubt Paulus will be insulted in any way by their earning that title. Similarly, being a senior does not mean a player is a natural leader. The role of captain is not an entitlement. For all we know, Dave McClure might not have even wanted that responsibility. From all I've heard, this was an excellent decision, and it's a lot different from two years ago, when captains were named basically by default.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Heh. The "explanation" for there being tri-captains might be a bit simpler than what I'm reading. I like any of these:

(1) As the sole captain last season, Demarcus performed great for most of the season but then became worn down, leading to a downturn in his production at the end. Coach K felt that Demarcus took on too many burdens as captain and "cared too much" as the leader, and so this season, he wants the duties of captaincy to be shared by 3 deserving players instead of just 1. This will help with the "fun" factor.

(2) Coach K just finished coaching a successful team in which several players -- Bryant, James, Kidd, Wade -- had a hand in leading, each in his own way.

(3) Paulus, Henderson, and Scheyer were all clearly going to be leaders on this team anyway due to their experience and status. This announcement of tri-captains just makes things official for the fans but Greg, Jon, and Gerald were already acting the part, anyway.

Those are good ones too. haha. I just thought I'd go with what I felt to be the most cynical view possible and the most bare-bones logical view possible..

Edouble
09-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Now exactly why would he resent sharing a title with Jon and Gerald (esp. since one reason is to make Gerald more assertive)?

This was answered in the part of the post that you cut out.

Because last year, with Greg as a returning captain, Coach K says "We're gonna do away with all of this multiple captain business", then when it's Greg's senior year, Coach K says "We're gonna have multiple captains". It has nothing to do with Jon and Gerald.

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard "tri-captains". It's pretty suprising after hearing what we all heard last year. Alot of people posted that they were suprised at the move. This is the only reason I can think of that it is suprising.

madscavenger
09-06-2008, 03:30 AM
This topic was discussed earlier in the year (maybe someone can locate the thread). Not gloating, but i want to point out that i specified that there would be 3 captains this year including Jon Scheyer. i outlined my case in detail. i took a lot of heat about Jon, quite a few claiming NO WAY. Not a single person agreed with me that Jon would be a captain. i made a point of saying i was going on record right there and that we would just have to agree to disagree and see what happens. i recall there was no agreement even to that. So, if anyone can find my post, please post it somewhere on this thread if you will and maybe we can see if at least my reasoning was reasonable.

Cheers, and lets get this season underway.

GTHC

Duke79UNLV77
09-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Gosh, I'd hate to see what your idea of gloating is.

madscavenger
09-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Just kidding about the "gloating".

i found the post (after a good 3 hours sleep). i've copied it (below):

"Captain means leadership and communication. Paulus will certainly be a captain. I believe there will be a second captain and that will be Jon Scheyer. Not only has he already demonstrated those qualities, but has shown leadership on the court in four other important ways.

1) He has intensity and hates to lose.
2) He has a superior knowledge of the game, intimately understanding how all positions fit into the scheme (and has functioned in each capacity when in high school). K loves this, its his trademark; especially when it comes to playing the point.
3) He has not only shown a willingness to take charge, but when to do so.
4) He doesn't have an ego problem, which the players picked up on when he ran the team during periods when Paulus was injured and/or struggling. He has their respect. This is also reflected in that he accepts the fact that he will sometimes start and sometimes lead the second team.

Further, when Paulus is not on the floor, all of the above enables us to perform without a dropoff in leadership or quality of play. When Nolan Smith is in for Paulus, the two of them together present multiple entry angles, which properly executed should lead to easier baskets.

If Scheyer plays up to his abilities, as a second captain he will make us better as a team, and really, that is the bottom line. That's my case.

K could add McClure as a third captain later in the year. That would be mainly for attitude and enthusiasm, which at key times can play an important role. And if K did indicate to McClure that he would be a captain as a senior, K will be true to his word, but this would likely be later in the year after rotations and chemistry are functioning smoothly."

Devilsfan
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
McClure should have been named. Senior leadership and he would have lived up to the honor and responsibility, imo. Shame they would Snub him.

Edouble
09-06-2008, 12:17 PM

"Captain means leadership and communication. Paulus will certainly be a captain. I believe there will be a second captain and that will be Jon Scheyer. Not only has he already demonstrated those qualities, but has shown leadership on the court in four other important ways.

2) He has a superior knowledge of the game, intimately understanding how all positions fit into the scheme (and has functioned in each capacity when in high school). K loves this, its his trademark; especially when it comes to playing the point.
4) He doesn't have an ego problem, which the players picked up on when he ran the team during periods when Paulus was injured and/or struggling. He has their respect. This is also reflected in that he accepts the fact that he will sometimes start and sometimes lead the second team.

Further, when Paulus is not on the floor, all of the above enables us to perform without a dropoff in leadership or quality of play. When Nolan Smith is in for Paulus, the two of them together present multiple entry angles, which properly executed should lead to easier baskets.

If Scheyer plays up to his abilities, as a second captain he will make us better as a team, and really, that is the bottom line. That's my case.

K could add McClure as a third captain later in the year. That would be mainly for attitude and enthusiasm, which at key times can play an important role. And if K did indicate to McClure that he would be a captain as a senior, K will be true to his word, but this would likely be later in the year after rotations and chemistry are functioning smoothly."

I remember this post. I did not actively agree or disagree at the time. I do recall that not many agreed with you.

You do deserve a little gloating. Well done and bravo, sir.

RepoMan
09-06-2008, 12:18 PM
McClure should have been named. Senior leadership and he would have lived up to the honor and responsibility, imo. Shame they would Snub him.

Couple problems with this analysis:

1. Just because you are a senior, doesn't mean you are a leader.

2. While being named a captain is an honor, the point of naming someone captain is not to honor them. The point is to designate someone (or several someones) who will have leadership responsibility.

3. You might wish McClure had been named a captain, perhaps becuase you respect his play, but, unless you have access to the team, you really don't know if the failure to name him a captain was a "snub."

Jumbo
09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Not a single person agreed with me that Jon would be a captain.
The gloating is charming, but incorrect. I don't remember your thread and don't remember whether I posted in it, but I've been saying Scheyer would be a captain as a junior for some time.

Jumbo
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM

What on earth do you know about Dave McClure's roll on the team? Do you know if he's a leader? Do you know if he even wants to be captain? Try to base your posts on knowledge if you're going to write something.

Edouble
09-06-2008, 12:55 PM
The gloating is charming, but incorrect. I don't remember your thread and don't remember whether I posted in it, but I've been saying Scheyer would be a captain as a junior for some time.

There's a rule that you can gloat only if you're the only person to say something?

Jumbo
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
There's a rule that you can gloat only if you're the only person to say something?

He incorrectly said he was the only one who thought Scheyer would be captain.

Jumbo
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM

That's an excellent post and sums up a lot of the feelings I've had for a while, too.

jv001
09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
He incorrectly said he was the only one who thought Scheyer would be captain.

Jumbo has long been a Jon Scheyer fan and I know from his posts that he thought Jon would be a captain this coming year. I agree with all 3 guys as Captains and don't have a problem with MCClure not being named. I don't get to watch the team practice. If Coach K did not name him believe me there was good reason.

devildownunder
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Jumbo has long been a Jon Scheyer fan and I know from his posts that he thought Jon would be a captain this coming year. I agree with all 3 guys as Captains and don't have a problem with MCClure not being named. I don't get to watch the team practice. If Coach K did not name him believe me there was good reason.

Plus, adding McClure would mean having 4 captains. Goodness, do football teams have that many captains?

I'm not that big a fan of multiple or co-captains. I think you name one person and go from there, because it generates accountability. But in reality, the true leader(s) of the team will emerge through what actually happens throughout the season, and everyone involved will know who they are. So long as such leaders emerge and are effective, the identities of the official leaders will become irrelevant to the team's success.

SilkyJ
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM

yes that seems to be the consensus and i think the consensus is also that nolan will play 20+mpg as well.

The speculation in this thread is understandable, but a little bit silly, when you think about it. None of us knows the dynamic of the team. None of us knows what went on when the season ended, and who stepped up, took charge through the summer, etc.

yes and no. i would say none of us know the team as well as k does. but there are several people on this board who know the players and are friends with some of them and may know a thing or two. some things are more public than others.

my junior year (a few years back) i became friends with a member of team and learned of a, shall i say, particular dynamic between him and a member of the staff. i never heard or saw mention of this online or elsewhere. a couple years later, the dynamic between josh and greg was much more publicly known on campus.

that being said the vast majority of us (myself included as an alum now) do not really have any idea of the internal dynamics of the team. i just wouldnt use the superlative "none"

natedog4ever
09-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Isn't a designated captain the only player on the court allowed to engage in a discussion with a referree? I think Greg will be on the court a lot, but if true, I'm sure some will make deductions as to what this means for Greg's pt.

Jumbo
09-07-2008, 01:50 AM
yes and no. i would say none of us know the team as well as k does. but there are several people on this board who know the players and are friends with some of them and may know a thing or two. some things are more public than others.

my junior year (a few years back) i became friends with a member of team and learned of a, shall i say, particular dynamic between him and a member of the staff. i never heard or saw mention of this online or elsewhere. a couple years later, the dynamic between josh and greg was much more publicly known on campus.

that being said the vast majority of us (myself included as an alum now) do not really have any idea of the internal dynamics of the team. i just wouldnt use the superlative "none"

I was trying to be delicate. Since you're not picking up on that, I'll try to be clear this time: No one who has commented in this thread has a firm grasp of the dynamic of this given team. Of that, I am certain.

Devilsfan
09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Dave deserves to be a captain, imho. I guess he should have stayed on campus this summer. I really like the Scheyer/Henderson pick and I admire how hard Paulus plays ON the court.

SilkyJ
09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I was trying to be delicate. Since you're not picking up on that, I'll try to be clear this time: No one who has commented in this thread has a firm grasp of the dynamic of this given team. Of that, I am certain.

Ha. you? delicate? I dont see how the above statement is any more or less delicate than the below...the only difference is you limit your grouping to this thread in the above as opposed to potentially referring to the whole board below (perhaps a false interpretation on my part). Since you know the posters better than I, I will take your word that no one in this thread knows the players/dynamics, etc.

But I know for a fact that there are people who post on the board that do in fact know members of the team quite well and are privy to information regarding some of the dynamics between the players etc.

The speculation in this thread is understandable, but a little bit silly, when you think about it. None of us knows the dynamic of the team. None of us knows what went on when the season ended, and who stepped up, took charge through the summer, etc.

BlueintheFace
09-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Jumbo, maybe you forget that some of the posters on this board are students or were recently students. Duke is a small school and cameron crazies are probably privy to more information on the whole than most fans. They go to parties with ball players, they have classes with them, and they hang out with these guys. Plus K talks to the crazies multiple times every year behind closed doors. Members of the media wish they had the kind of access some Duke students have. Maybe nobody has a "firm grasp," but some of us know more than others... and certainly more than the common fan.

Jumbo
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Jumbo, maybe you forget that some of the posters on this board are students or were recently students. Duke is a small school and cameron crazies are probably privy to more information on the whole than most fans. They go to parties with ball players, they have classes with them, and they hang out with these guys. Plus K talks to the crazies multiple times every year behind closed doors. Members of the media wish they had the kind of access some Duke students have. Maybe nobody has a "firm grasp," but some of us know more than others... and certainly more than the common fan.

OK, I'm still not getting through. I'm well aware of the fact that there are current students here. That's fantastic. I'm also aware of why the current captains were chosen -- hence my statement that no one who has posted some of the ridiculous speculation in this thread actually understands the situation. Now, please let this drop already, okay? Duke has three captains, they'll lead the team, the team knows who it will respect as leaders and everything is fine. Sheesh.

BlueintheFace
09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
OK, I'm still not getting through. I'm well aware of the fact that there are current students here. That's fantastic. I'm also aware of why the current captains were chosen -- hence my statement that no one who has posted some of the ridiculous speculation in this thread actually understands the situation. Now, please let this drop already, okay? Duke has three captains, they'll lead the team, the team knows who it will respect as leaders and everything is fine. Sheesh.

So what you really are saying is... "None of you know the real reason why the captains were chosen because none of you know the team dynamic as well as I do. The choices are good ones considering what I know so just leave it alone."

... okay, I'll leave it alone.

Jumbo
09-07-2008, 05:52 PM
So what you really are saying is... "None of you know the real reason why the captains were chosen because none of you know the team dynamic as well as I do. The choices are good ones considering what I know so just leave it alone."

... okay, I'll leave it alone.

No, that's not what I said. But it was a noble effort. Thank you for leaving it alone.

madscavenger
09-08-2008, 04:17 AM
Just to set the record straight (because it has spawned disagreements that seem to be due to a lack of clarity on my part), my claim that not a single person agreed with me that Jon would be a captain for the upcoming season was with respect only to the thread i was citing. The thread occurred in early July 2008 (maybe around July 7th or 8th). i thought i was specific on that - apparently not.

i have not been around the Forum very often the last couple of years (for reasons not worth wasting anyone's time on, dangling particle notwithstanding) and easily could have missed any comments on this topic contained in some other thread. It is an honor to be on the same page as Jumbo once in awhile. Plenty of people here have a lot of excellent input, but knowledge alone doesn't always tell the story. Knowledge supplemented by the judicious application of extensive personal experience more often than not lends substantial additional insight to almost any topic. For Jumbo, Duke Basketball is one of those topics. That doesn't mean he's always right, but my own experience is that you better be well armed if you doubt him.

mad

{Jumbo, please send my $25 check to P.O. Box..................;);)}