PDA

View Full Version : The REAL person at fault...

bludev03
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
The person to blame for Duke's lack of success in recent years is the sport psychologist (whatever his name is). The women's team hasnt won an ACC Tourney title since 2004, and hasnt been able to win a NC (and 2006 and 2007 were the best chances). Also, the men's basketball team cant get past the Sweet 16, and always blows double-digit leads (I blame K for this, but that's another thread)

Let's not forget the women's lax failing to win a NC, and the field hockey team failing to get past WF to win the NC. Somebody needs to start raising some questions and maybe even cleaning house. Duke should expect better and certainly deserves better....:confused:

Kewlswim
03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi,

How do we know that those teams didn't over-achieve to be in the positions they were in and without the Sports Psychologist we have they wouldn't have even been in those positions at all? Maybe our teams are built with a bunch of over-achievers and when we get to championship games that catches up with them?

GO DUKE!

bludev03
03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
i dont believe in "overachieving". it's like when a student receives an A, but the teacher says, "But he's a C student. He's not bright, just lucky."

Obviously if the teams are talented enough to be ranked #1 or get to The Big Stage, then they are obviously talented enough to win.

Same with the student. If a student receives an A, then he or she is smart enough to receive As all the time, and shouldn't accept receiving Cs....

LetItBD08
03-25-2007, 04:16 PM
This can't be serious. This is sports. There is always uncertainty. You can't just fault people for something they have limited control over. The fact is, it is this unknown that draws people to sports, and you can't place definitive blame on someone because the outcome is not to your liking or what you expect.

LetItBD08
03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
The women's team hasnt won an ACC Tourney title since 2004, and hasnt been able to win a NC (and 2006 and 2007 were the best chances).

2004! That wasn't exactly an eternity ago. You're making that out to much more than it is.

And in 2006, Duke was a couple inches on a last second shot away from winning a National Championship. It irks me every time I see the highlight, but if that ball bounces out are you still blaming the sports psychiatrist?

bludev03
03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I thought the purpose of having a sports psychologist was to get the athletes to achieve maximum athletic/physical perfomance with the assistance of optimal psychological training? If these teams are constantly choking under pressure and not able to win on The Big Stage, then someone needs to look at the sports psychologist! If he's not doing his job or his performance isnt leading to the desired results, then someone needs to hold him accountable.

And it's not just the women's basketball team.....look at the women's lax, field hockey, and men's basketball teams.

LetItBD08
03-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I seem to see it in a completely different perspective. One of the things I've always loved about all Duke athletics is their mindset - constant dedication and focus on the field/court. Of course this is instilled predominately by the coaches and other players (one of the biggest reasons I think Coach K is a great coach). I don't know much about sports pyschology, but if the purpose is as you've said, bludev03, then I think our psychologists have done a great job. Like I said, sometimes the outcomes are just not as predictable as we would like.