PDA

View Full Version : An Example of the Duke Way

Channing
03-25-2007, 01:19 PM
through the heartbreaking loss for the women I noticed something about the Duke way. Im not saying it wouldnt happen at other school - but remembering back to Darius Washington Jr, who played for memphis. I think 3 years ago they needed to win the CUSA tourney to make the tournament (before expansion). He got fouled on a three, with his team down two. He was roughly an 80 percent shooter, and everyone expected him to make at least 2. He made the first and missed the last two, ending the game in a one point loss for Memphis. There is a picture of him on his knees at the free throw line after the game has officially ended, on his hands and knees, absolutely distraught, with no teammate or coach in site. I noticed the Duke players immediately rallied to Harding to remind her she was still their leader, even in defeat. Just something I saw that reminded me why I love Duke.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/_photos/2005-10-13-memphis-wash-ins.jpg

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-25-2007, 01:41 PM
There is a story Coach K tells....I think it's in one of the books....about somebody going to the line and missing a last second free throw that if had been made would have won the game and secured a National Player of the Year award for a fellow team mate. He missed and that team mate stepped straight off the line and embraced him. Was it Laettner? I think so. Coach told it so movingly that it gave me chills at the time.

Somebody help me through this senior moment.

Love, Ima

91devil
03-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Believe you are referring to the game in early '89 at The Meadowlands, Duke vs Arizona (Christian's freshman season). Laett was having an excellent game, and was fouled with about a second left, Duke down by one. He missed the front end of the one-and-one, and we ended up losing by a point.

Quin Snyder immediately rushed up up to Laett and comforted him, telling him he was not the reason why we lost (in fact, I recall the image of Quin's hands around Christian's head while talking to him).

It's all about Collective Reponsibility.

Believe you are referring to the game in early '89 at The Meadowlands, Duke vs Arizona (Christian's freshman season). Laett was having an excellent game, and was fouled with about a second left, Duke down by one. He missed the front end of the one-and-one, and we ended up losing by a point.

Quin Snyder immediately rushed up up to Laett and comforted him, telling him he was not the reason why we lost (in fact, I recall the image of Quin's hands around Christian's head while talking to him).

It's all about Collective Responsibility.

TillyGalore
03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I think the quote went something along the lines of "we win together, we lose together". If memory recalls, I believe something like that was uttered to a recent Duke player, I think it was last year, the 05-06 season. May have been a veteran to Greg Paulus.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kewlswim
03-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi,

Important to remember that if others had played better it wouldn't have needed to come down to those two free throws. Though it would have been glorious for her to make them, it is important to realize that there was 39 minutes and 59.9 seconds of game before that where the Devils could have made a difference in the game. I think that the Duke players realized the loss was not the fault of one person.

People, on this board, have told me that the players need not have fun to win and my lack of playing Div 1 College Sports make it impossible for me to comment on this correctly. I understand, I have never played sports at that high a level. I did play on teams, with coaches, and what not growing up and when I had fun, I played better. Same went for the teams I played for. I didn't see a lot of fun out there yesterday. I think having fun would have made a world of difference.

GO DUKE!

zingit
03-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I think the quote went something along the lines of "we win together, we lose together". If memory recalls, I believe something like that was uttered to a recent Duke player, I think it was last year, the 05-06 season. May have been a veteran to Greg Paulus.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I remember this too: it was J.J. to Greg, in our first loss of the season, against Georgetown. We had a chance to tie with a 3 on the final possession, and Greg was obviously supposed to find J.J., but instead dribbled into two or three defenders and turned the ball over. I clearly remember a picture of J.J. with his arm around Greg's shoulders as G-town students rushed the court. And in the story, he said, "We win together, we lose together." It was a bittersweet moment, and I thought J.J. was very mature in saying that.

Sigh. As much as I love to see our camaraderie in defeat, I'd rather see it in victory.

Incidentally, I had actually been reminded of that same moment with Darius Washington, but for a different reason. I remember this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/champweek2007/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2785612) looking back on that game, and John Calipari says that if he could do it over again, he would have called a timeout after Washington missed the second FT:

"I could have calmed him down," Calipari said. "I would have put it on me. I would have simply said to him, 'If you miss this now, they're going to think I missed it because they'll think I iced you. They won't believe I called this timeout. So just go up there and shoot it.' I believe he would have made it and [we would have] gone into overtime and won the game."

We can only speculate as to what might have been had Coach G done this with Lindsey.

Kewlswim
03-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I remember this too: it was J.J. to Greg, in our first loss of the season, against Georgetown. We had a chance to tie with a 3 on the final possession, and Greg was obviously supposed to find J.J., but instead dribbled into two or three defenders and turned the ball over. I clearly remember a picture of J.J. with his arm around Greg's shoulders as G-town students rushed the court. And in the story, he said, "We win together, we lose together." It was a bittersweet moment, and I thought J.J. was very mature in saying that.

Sigh. As much as I love to see our camaraderie in defeat, I'd rather see it in victory.

Incidentally, I had actually been reminded of that same moment with Darius Washington, but for a different reason. I remember this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/champweek2007/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2785612) looking back on that game, and John Calipari says that if he could do it over again, he would have called a timeout after Washington missed the second FT:

We can only speculate as to what might have been had Coach G done this with Lindsey.

Hi,

I wonder what Coach G would do the next time around. Has she been asked if she feels she made a mistake not calling a timeout or if next time around if she would call one? I thought she would call one after the first miss to calm down the shooter.

GO DUKE!

Cameron
03-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Watching Harding miss that final free-throw took me right back to 2002, one of the worst nights of my life. I really felt for her considering how tough that walk to the lockerroom must have been, with the whole nation and Duke family looking on. What she felt must have been unbelievably hard to swallow. She shouldn't feel down, though, because she had a wonderful career and made her school very proud. Just as Jason had done throughout his entire career. I was as pissed and sad and distraught as I have ever been when he missed that shot, evaportating our chances at a repeat, but I had to remind myself how much he meant to me personally as a fan, as a student and player for Duke, and as an icon for college basketball. He gave us one hell of a ride while he was in Durham, and we will be forever grateful for that. Just as we are with Harding.

adam
03-26-2007, 01:18 AM
I noticed the Duke players immediately rallied to Harding to remind her she was still their leader, even in defeat. Just something I saw that reminded me why I love Duke.

My thoughts exactly. And it was at that moment I was the most proud to be a Duke basketball fan.