PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Hanna and Saturday game

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Hanna was upgraded to a hurricane today, and according to the latest projections is expected to make landfall in SC on Friday. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/173214.shtml?5day?large#contents) It's too far ahead to bet on that, so I've just made my "get out of Dodge plans" in case it comes further north, my family is sure not staying here at the beach. Regardless, it is looking like a wet Saturday night. Everyone use their collective will power to wish Hanna on a different track, so we can stay safe and watch some football.

devildeac
09-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Hanna was upgraded to a hurricane today, and according to the latest projections is expected to make landfall in SC on Friday. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/173214.shtml?5day?large#contents) It's too far ahead to bet on that, so I've just made my "get out of Dodge plans" in case it comes further north, my family is sure not staying here at the beach. Regardless, it is looking like a wet Saturday night. Everyone use their collective will power to wish Hanna on a different track, so we can stay safe and watch some football.

Why? Seems like we played rather well considering all the thunderstorm activity that was nearby on Saturday night;). (tongue in cheek here folks-I was at least a bit scared watching the thunderstorm in person and on radar as it passed to our south and east around gametime).

DukeSince'77
09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Just ordered Duke rain ponchos for the entire family! Rain or shine, planning on being at WW for the game.

DukePA
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

I will pack my soon-to-be-purchased rain gear in my Mini. I've always insisted that I will not, under any circumstances, sit in the rain for any team, ever. Funny how that changed Saturday!

footballfan
09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
well assuming they do play, it's going to wet and soggy. Going to favor the running game big time and slow down the game. Don't know enough about NU to say who then gets the advantage.

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I will pack my soon-to-be-purchased rain gear in my Mini. I've always insisted that I will not, under any circumstances, sit in the rain for any team, ever. Funny how that changed Saturday!

HA! Got good practice didn't we? I bought 4 ponchos at Saturday's game, but we only used one to keep our camera dry. Nice timing for a storm too, we were coming inland anyways;). Stay safe fellow beach comber.

DukePA
09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
HA! Got good practice didn't we? I bought 4 ponchos at Saturday's game, but we only used one to keep our camera dry. Nice timing for a storm too, we were coming inland anyways;). Stay safe fellow beach comber.

They were selling ponchos at the game?! Dang, I missed them. Are they Duke blue? Could you bring your 2 extras this week in case I don't find the proper shade of blue? We'll have a safe bag for the camera if you like.

Thanks! I'm off to check out the rip current while the sun's still shining :)

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2008, 03:59 PM
We got the cheapie kind that were clear and look like garbage bags..lol. For the 4 bux that they charged they should have been blue with a big "D" on the front. We are coming prepared this time with some real rain gear. (Blue, to boot!)

DukePA
09-01-2008, 05:57 PM
We got the cheapie kind that were clear and look like garbage bags..lol. For the 4 bux that they charged they should have been blue with a big "D" on the front. We are coming prepared this time with some real rain gear. (Blue, to boot!)

Cool. Let me know where you find them. Guess I'll start at Wally World and Target :)

devilish
09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Doesn't look good...
http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm8/projectedpath_large.html?from=hp_news

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Doesn't look good...
http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm8/projectedpath_large.html?from=hp_news

Certainly both the path and the speed of travel aren't predictable this far out, but note that they show the center of the storm at the NC/VA boarder Saturday morning (and way north in New England on Sunday morning). In my mind, that means by Saturday afternoon the skies in Durham may well be clear (hopefully not leaving behind a trail of destruction). My bigger concern is the start time of my 9 a.m. golf tournament in Smithfield. If they delay that I could miss the Iron Duke tailgate, and I really don't want to do that.

devilish
09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Certainly both the path and the speed of travel aren't predictable this far out, but note that they show the center of the storm at the NC/VA boarder Saturday morning (and way north in New England on Sunday morning). In my mind, that means by Saturday afternoon the skies in Durham may well be clear (hopefully not leaving behind a trail of destruction). My bigger concern is the start time of my 9 a.m. golf tournament in Smithfield. If they delay that I could miss the Iron Duke tailgate, and I really don't want to do that.

The trail of destruction is what I'm worried about. Yikes!

MChambers
09-02-2008, 11:56 AM
You're definitely right that the forecasts at this point aren't worth much. If you want to see the results of the various computer models, go here:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200808_model.html

DukePA
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM

If you're late for the tailgate, we'll save you some beer and food!

allenmurray
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
The trail of destruction is what I'm worried about. Yikes!

While I'm sure we will beat Northwestern I think that is going a bit too far. Oh, that isn't what you meant. sorry.

SharkD
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Here's the latest from the NHC:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm1+gif/145314W5_sm.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5day?large#contents)
click to go to the forecast

The center of circulation is forecast to be on the NC/VA border, north of Winston-Salem at 8am on Saturday.

devildeac
09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Here's the latest from the NHC:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm1+gif/145314W5_sm.gif (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5day?large#contents)
click to go to the forecast

The center of circulation is forecast to be on the NC/VA border, north of Winston-Salem at 8am on Saturday.

And if it is 50-100 miles west, we should get just a few showers (and hopefully no tornadoes). And if it is 50-100 miles east, WW could be under 5-10 inches of water/rain and have serious tornado threats:(.

Indoor66
09-02-2008, 02:21 PM
And if it is 50-100 miles west, we should get just a few showers (and hopefully no tornadoes). And if it is 50-100 miles east, WW could be under 5-10 inches of water/rain and have serious tornado threats:(.

Actually, it is the east side of the hurricane that is the worst for wind and rain. The storm circulates in a counter clockwise direction. If you are east of the storm it is worse. So if the storm is west of Durham, it would mean more rain for Durham.

devildeac
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Actually, it is the east side of the hurricane that is the worst for wind and rain. The storm circulates in a counter clockwise direction. If you are east of the storm it is worse. So if the storm is west of Durham, it would mean more rain for Durham.

That's why I moved it 50-100 miles west. Several years ago, I think a tropical storm moved north through the area between W-S and Asheville and we got some rain in the Triangle but not monsoon-like quantities. Also it will depend on the footprint of the storm and if it is hundreds of miles across, it could move through the Triad and we would still be in danger in the Triangle. Right now, I'm just hoping for a tropical depression and several inches of rain to further ease the drought still present in the western part of NC and upstate SC and Georgia.

quickgtp
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm not sold on this thing coming up the coast yet. There is still a chance that it goes right back out to see and never hit any of the 48 states.....

Indoor66
09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not sold on this thing coming up the coast yet. There is still a chance that it goes right back out to see and never hit any of the 48 states.....

I'm in South Florida and I could not agree more - and take the followers with it! :mad:

devildeac
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm in South Florida and I could not agree more - and take the followers with it! :mad:

Might you be referring to TS Ike who is in the on-deck circle:(?

jimsumner
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
"In my mind, that means by Saturday afternoon the skies in Durham may well be clear (hopefully not leaving behind a trail of destruction)"

The afternoon after Fran went through, the skies were clear and the sun was shining. Which was good, because sunlight provided most of my light for the next nine days.

If you think the Weaux gods look unkindly on basketball trash-talk, they really don't take well to dissing hurricanes. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
"In my mind, that means by Saturday afternoon the skies in Durham may well be clear (hopefully not leaving behind a trail of destruction)"

The afternoon after Fran went through, the skies were clear and the sun was shining. Which was good, because sunlight provided most of my light for the next nine days.

If you think the Weaux gods look unkindly on basketball trash-talk, they really don't take well to dissing hurricanes. :)

Jim, I'm not weauxing, I'm just interpreting the forecast map as I see it, based on past experience (Fran, Bertha, Gloria and others). And of course, some wishful thinking thrown in for good measure!

kinghoops
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
according to greg fischel at 6 pm on tuesday, the forcast for now is for hannah to be clear of central nc by late morning on saturday, and we should see clearing on saturday afternoon.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
according to greg fischel at 6 pm on tuesday, the forcast for now is for hannah to be clear of central nc by late morning on saturday, and we should see clearing on saturday afternoon.

If Greg says it, then it is fact.

killerleft
09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm waiting on Ed Matthews at WFMY before I'll know for sure.

CameronBornAndBred
09-02-2008, 11:16 PM
The current track has shifted slightly to the east, still leading the path over the triangle. The speed at which it is projected to be traveling, will give it less time to dissipate in strength, it should make for an interesting evening on Friday. I remember Durham after Fran..it took me an hour to get to my dad's 5minutes away. Luckily, this one is not expected to have Fran's strenght at landfall.

Models as of 11pm Tuesday night.
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200808_model.gif

P.S..that white line..right over my house, DukePA's also...bleah.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Just spoke with Bryce in the Iron Duke office (Wed, 11:20 a.m.). As of now, the Iron Duke tailgate is still on. Checking the weather.com map linked above (that's the one he's monitoring too), the storm is now projected farther east than it was yesterday, and about 12 hours behind schedule, making landfall (looking at the center of the projected path, which is 100+ miles wide) near Myrtle Beach on Saturday a.m.

So stay tuned folks. The disorganized storm is supposed to organize and strengthen, but no one really knows. Maybe it'll stay out to sea and spare us entirely. OK, that's wishful thinking, but let's put our best DBR vibes to work here!

jimsumner
09-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I remember Fran as a night of sheer terror. We were told that Fran would be well east of the Triangle. Instead, it came right down our throats. Remember, most of this happened at night and in total darkness, except for the lightning and the brief flash of transformers exploding. It rained ten inches but you couldn't even tell it was raining, so loud was the wind. You would hear the crack of a tree and wonder if this would be the one that came crashing through the roof. The Raleigh electricity infrastructure suffered catastrophic damage and it was almost two weeks before everyone had power restored.

Once was enough. I don't ever want to go through anything like that again.

allenmurray
09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I remember Fran as a night of sheer terror. We were told that Fran would be well east of the Triangle. Instead, it came right down our throats. Remember, most of this happened at night and in total darkness, except for the lightning and the brief flash of transformers exploding. It rained ten inches but you couldn't even tell it was raining, so loud was the wind. You would hear the crack of a tree and wonder if this would be the one that came crashing through the roof. The Raleigh electricity infrastructure suffered catastrophic damage and it was almost two weeks before everyone had power restored.

It was the night that I decided if there is a god he/she must like me. At the time I lived in a house built in the early 1920s (on Carver Street in Durham, near Durham Regional Hospital). When it was built it was the only house on that part of Carver Street, and was a farm house for a local family. It was surrounded by trees. In a virtual circle around the house, with none of them more than 20 feet from the house, there were (and still are) 6 oak trees, 2 pecan trees, and a maple tree. The house sufferred no damage at all. The barn, which had three full grown trees nearby, and was not all that well built to begin with, lost one piece of tin roofing. There were tees down throughout the neighborhood, including three or four mature oak trees lying across Carver Street, and our house didn't have a scratch. Because we were within just a few blocks of Durham Regional Hospital our area was the highest priority for power restoration, and we were back in full service by 11:00 a.m.

A few years afterward I moved to Northern Durham County, to a heavily wooded area off Guess Road, near the Orange County line. After the ice storm in 2002 we were without power (which, since we are on a well meant without water also) for 10 days.

jimsumner
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
"After the ice storm in 2002 we were without power (which, since we are on a well meant without water also) for 10 days."

Ah, the ice storm of '02. Five days for me but we did have water. At least it's not 15 degrees after a hurricane.

Some irony here. We were in the middle of a six-month remodel. We had decided to convert the fireplace to a gas log and had even purchased the gas log. But the storm beat us to the punch. We were freezing our rear ends off, while we had that gas log sitting in the corner, mocking us. We also discovered that if you don't clean a kerosene heater, they start to smell after a few days. Who knew?

We certainly have interesting weather/natural phenomena around here. Everything but earthquakes and avalalanches. I was trying to tell Kevin White the other day how much he would enjoy his first hurricane and he starts talking about South Bend snow. Hmmph!

Acymetric
09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5+gif/205213W_sm.gif

The storm looks like it will be further east, and closer to Virginia around 2 p.m. on gameday. This is unfortunate for the coast, and I hope the storm proves to be a weak one. On the other hand, other than a very wet field I think we should be able to hold the game on time.

jimsumner
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Interesting how much better the weather should be at 7 P.M. then at noon or 1 P.M.

CameronBornAndBred
09-03-2008, 10:27 PM
We probably won't decide until Friday whether we stay here or head to Durham Friday night. I was also in Durham for Fran, in a small house in the middle of a forest. I have no interest in leaving the beach just to face that night again. It all will depend on what the path and strength look like then. Either way, I'll be in Durham for game time, crossing my fingers it has passed on through by then, and the game is played.

devildeac
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Interesting how much better the weather should be at 7 P.M. then at noon or 1 P.M.

You really don't miss those noon/1PM games in the blazing afternoon September sun at WW, do you Jim;)?

jimsumner
09-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I understand the necessity for noon starts for TV games but for the life of me I have never understood why Duke went to the expense of putting up lights and then playing non-TV games at noon in September.

I think those days are over.

jv001
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Jim what catagory hurricane was Fran? I can't remember(old age). I think Hanna is going to be catagory 1 by the time it reaches land(if it does). Power outages will probably be more of a problem than anything else as this storm is supposed to move quickly through our area. Stay safe!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Jim what catagory hurricane was Fran? I can't remember(old age). I think Hanna is going to be catagory 1 by the time it reaches land(if it does). Power outages will probably be more of a problem than anything else as this storm is supposed to move quickly through our area. Stay safe!

The eye of Fran passed over my house during the night. Winds were up to 80 mph. It's hard to say which was scarier.... Fran or the ICE STORM. Nine trees bounced off my roof continuing all through the night. (The trees were damaging a new roof!) The sounds of trees breaking and falling all about continued throughout the night. There was no power for 10 days. And while you're talking weather disasters, don't leave out the snow storm of the century! RDU was closed for two or three days. (By the way, the series of worst storm of type caused me to decide that the 40+ years I'd lived in the Triangle was long enough!)

budwom
09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I understand the necessity for noon starts for TV games but for the life of me I have never understood why Duke went to the expense of putting up lights and then playing non-TV games at noon in September.

I think those days are over.

Ted Roof's reason for not wanting to play night games was that "he didn't want the team sitting around all day." Given how badly we played at mid day, I shudder to think how badly they would've played at night.
Nice guy. Bad coach.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Fran was a Category 1 before the eye passed over Smithfield and then Raleigh. Winds howling at 80 mph are incredibly scary, especially in the pitch dark of night with the power out. Standing in the calm of the eye was amazing. Yes, I went outside in the dark and looked up to see the stars.

Before that night, watching the storm track reports on TV I used to root for hurricanes to build, to get up to as high a number as they could "Yay! It's a four!" I didn't realize what I was wishing for. Never again. And Lord willing I'll never have to use the chain saw I bought the week after Fran. May it rust in peace. And that is not a typo.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Ted Roof's reason for not wanting to play night games was that "he didn't want the team sitting around all day." Given how badly we played at mid day, I shudder to think how badly they would've played at night.
Nice guy. Bad coach.

Surely is easy to blame him now that he's gone.

Acymetric
09-04-2008, 03:33 PM

In fairness, I found it easy to blame both him and the administration that wouldn't support him when he was still here.

I will say that I did think he was a really nice guy who truly cared about the players, and I wish him all the success in the world so long as his team isn't playing Duke or competing for a bid to the same bowl.

jimsumner
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
"Yes, I went outside in the dark and looked up to see the stars."

As did I. Truly an eerie experience.

I think Fran was a 3 when it made landfall and still was a hurricane when it went over the Triangle.

My wife is a nurse so they went into emergency mode and kept her at work. My kids were 16 and 12 then and they literally slept through the whole thing. They woke up the next morning wondering if anything had happened.

Anybody else remember 1999? Dennis, a storm roughly analgous to Hannah, soaked the state so that Floyd could come along a few days later and totally flood everything. Is Hannah to Ike going to duplicate that sequence? Stay tuned. Could get interesting.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
You are correct Jim. I remember I was delivering pizzas at the time, and told my boss about 10 "see ya, I'm not driving anymore tonight". I smartly parked my car in an open field. I remember about 1 am that night, telling my exwife that getting out of bed and putting our shoes on might be a good idea. The next morning when we went to suvey the scene, the first thing I noticed was my neighbor's car was 2 feet tall. Big oak trees are pretty heavy.

kinghoops
09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
september the 6th 1996, a day i will never forget, i lived near the duke park area and had no power for almost two weeks... just a friendly reminder, this satueday is september the 6th

budwom
09-04-2008, 04:32 PM

With all due respect, someone asked why Duke played non-TV day games in September, and I provided the answer.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Truly an eerie experience.

My wife is a nurse so they went into emergency mode and kept her at work. My kids were 16 and 12 then and they literally slept through the whole thing. They woke up the next morning wondering if anything had happened.

Talk about eerie, my wife is also a nurse (and at the time worked for the County Health Dept.) and had to work the emergency shelter in the HS 300 yards from my house. My daughter, then 14, stayed with me. Neither of us slept much that night, huddled in the den on the ground floor, listening to the wind. The neighbor's 100 ft. tree that fell between our houses narrowly missed her front corner bedroom, which is why I smartly got her out of there to begin with.

CameronBornAndBred
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
The latest report has Hanna as a tropical storm at landfall, that's great news. Hopefully it stays that way.

DownEastDevil
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I work at a 24-7 factory and was working the evening shift when Fran came thru. I left work after midnight and it took me 3 hours to get home just 7 miles away. Every road I went down there was a tree across the road. Talk about a scary drive with debris flying everywhere and the howlng wind and rain. It was even worse with Floyd with 3 feet of water under my house. I was lucky we lived on a hill and at the end of the street it was 10 ft deep. Just a quarter mile away we drove our boat up to the 2nd story bedroom to get our friends out of their house. Needless to say we get nervous when a hurricane is mentioned and we are 100 miles from the coast.

Acymetric
09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Obviously there's a lot of uncertainty, but this (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USNC0192?dayNum=2) projects that we will have clear skies by 6:00 p.m. on Saturday!

To emphasize how uncertain that is, notice that the 6:00 hour is the last hour for which they have an hourly forecast, so certainly not set in stone. Here's hoping!

DU82
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
"Yes, I went outside in the dark and looked up to see the stars."

As did I. Truly an eerie experience.

I think Fran was a 3 when it made landfall and still was a hurricane when it went over the Triangle.

Anybody else remember 1999? Dennis, a storm roughly analgous to Hannah, soaked the state so that Floyd could come along a few days later and totally flood everything. Is Hannah to Ike going to duplicate that sequence? Stay tuned. Could get interesting.

Dennis did hit the state three times, if I remember the correct storm, staying near the coast for a few days (like Fay did to Florida.) Hanna should not do that to the coast, so if Ike hits about the same place, it won't be as saturated. (I hope!)

PumpkinFunk
09-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Slight update:

LMo, Dickie B, Coach Cut, and some other relevant people are meeting tomorrow (rumored time is 1 PM) to discuss cancelling all events for Saturday. A full answer on whether or not the game is on will be known tonight/this afternoon.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Slight update:

LMo, Dickie B, Coach Cut, and some other relevant people are meeting tomorrow (rumored time is 1 PM) to discuss cancelling all events for Saturday. A full answer on whether or not the game is on will be known tonight/this afternoon.

There should be no reason to cancel the game in Durham. The latest forecast says that the skies will clear mid day Saturday. 2 to 4 inches of rain are expected, and winds should be below 50 mph or so during the storm passage. These are not doom impending numbers for the Triangle area.

On another not, tomorrow's Iron Duke tailgate has been moved indoors to the Wilson Rec Center. It starts at 5, just after the Blue Devil Walk concludes.

Acymetric
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
There should be no reason to cancel the game in Durham. The latest forecast says that the skies will clear mid day Saturday. 2 to 4 inches of rain are expected, and winds should be below 50 mph or so during the storm passage. These are not doom impending numbers for the Triangle area.

On another not, tomorrow's Iron Duke tailgate has been moved indoors to the Wilson Rec Center. It starts at 5, just after the Blue Devil Walk concludes.

To further your point, I haven't seen anything suggesting winds over 30 mph. For context, my school in the spectacularly boring plains of northwest Ohio probably had an average windspeed of 15-20 miles per hour, and that was the clear sunny days. If things stay as they are, the game should be on, and on time.

Inonehand
09-05-2008, 11:10 AM
is the key. Hopefully their flight plans are for early rather than later. Like us, they like their kids to go to class before traveling.

DukePA
09-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Hannah's scouts have arrived. It started raining approximately 20 minutes ago. We stocked up on water, beer, and wine yesterday and plan to have a rockin party on the island tonight. Hopefully the game will not be canceled and the roads won't flood. I'm psyched about tomorrow night. GO DUKE!!

watzone
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm hearing that the game is definitely on. I will be their even if I have to paddle into the parking lot.

gotham devil
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
is the key. Hopefully their flight plans are for early rather than later. Like us, they like their kids to go to class before traveling.

Northwestern doesn't begin their academic school year for a few weeks. The players don't have classes for their first four weeks of play...just football.

watzone
09-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm hearing that the game is definitely on. I will be their even if I have to paddle into the parking lot.

Uh, I will be "there," LOL.

Inonehand
09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Northwestern doesn't begin their academic school year for a few weeks. The players don't have classes for their first four weeks of play...just football.

Oh. Good to know. Hopefully they are already here then.

jv001
09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Uh, I will be "there," LOL.

Mark I knew you're Duke's not Northwestern's. This is a big game for us on the way back to respectability in Football. Let's hope and pray that everything falls into place and I'm not talking about flying trees, etc.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Since there was the possibility of another game with rain, yesterday I invested some rain gear, royal blue jacket and black slacks. (They didn't have royal blue pants.) If this gear isn't needed tomorrow (yea!) I'll have it for future rainy games.

FYI Sports Authority has some of their rain gear on sale right now.

DukePA
09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Since there was the possibility of another game with rain, yesterday I invested some rain gear, royal blue jacket and black slacks. (They didn't have royal blue pants.) If this gear isn't needed tomorrow (yea!) I'll have it for future rainy games.

FYI Sports Authority has some of their rain gear on sale right now.

I purchased dark blue rain ponchos for my parents and myself. I'm ready!

jimsumner
09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Mentioned earlier but Duke really caught a break when they scheduled this for 7. Playing this at noon could be a bit hairy.

The latest predictions call for 4-6 inches of rain and winds in the 40mph neighborhood early. It could definitely be a night for mudders.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Mentioned earlier but Duke really caught a break when they scheduled this for 7. Playing this at noon could be a bit hairy.

The latest predictions call for 4-6 inches of rain and winds in the 40mph neighborhood early. It could definitely be a night for mudders.

I believe I noticed in The Duke Chronicle that "Dean Sue" suggested that the students plan to wear "closed toe shoes" to the Tailgate party tomorrow.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I believe I noticed in The Duke Chronicle that "Dean Sue" suggested that the students plan to wear "closed toe shoes" to the Tailgate party tomorrow.

What? They don't want the mud squishing between their little toes?:eek:

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
What? They don't want the mud squishing between their little toes?:eek:

Isn't it amazing that this is the best advice given to the undergrads?

I suppose it's more along the lines of what sort of injuries could occur when wearing flip flops in the mud while inebriated.

CameronBornAndBred
09-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Just moved our cars to the street. It's getting pretty windy out.

CameronBornAndBred
09-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Looks like the triangle is getting a pretty good drenching, might be a mudfest tonight. I think all those on the field should be named the Hanna Barbarians. :D

Jarhead
09-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Looks like the triangle is getting a pretty good drenching, might be a mudfest tonight. I think all those on the field should be named the Hanna Barbarians. :D
Looks like you have been up most of the night, at leasst up to four o'clock. Now at a little past seven, things are looking more promising. It is still raining here in Southern Pines, but it looks like we'll be out of it by 9 AM. The triangle should be out of it by early afternoon. Our wind has stopped, entirely. I have Doppler radar looping in another tab, and it is only about 5 minutes behind real time. My rain gauge has filled up, and the top of the scale is 6.5 inches. I've dumped it, and I expect another half inch or so.

I don't remember seeing it, but they used to have a tarp to cover the field. I'll assume that is no longer the case, but the field does drain very well. If mud cleats are still an option, we may see the players wearing them. Otherwise, expect some mud sliding fun. I'll let you know later this morning how the rain plays out down here.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-06-2008, 08:01 AM
My rain gauge has filled up, and the top of the scale is 6.5 inches. I've dumped it, and I expect another half inch or so.

Send an email to WRAL about your rain total. They showed a color-coded map a few minutes ago and said "we don't have a reporting station in Southern Pines but it looks like over 6 inches".

Haven't ventured out yet to check our rain gauge, but will shortly.

Very interesting tidbit. Firefox's spell checker doesn't like gauge spelled with a "u" and says gage is correct. But my Webster's pocket dictionary says both are correct, although gauge is preferred.

DukeUsul
09-06-2008, 08:17 AM
4 miles from Wade here. Very soggy out. Still moderate rain and moderate winds. I don't see many trees or branches down in the neighborhood at all. Power is on. Looks like it'll be a soggy game, possibly still windy, but no rain.

devildeac
09-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Looks like you have been up most of the night, at leasst up to four o'clock. Now at a little past seven, things are looking more promising. It is still raining here in Southern Pines, but it looks like we'll be out of it by 9 AM. The triangle should be out of it by early afternoon. Our wind has stopped, entirely. I have Doppler radar looping in another tab, and it is only about 5 minutes behind real time. My rain gauge has filled up, and the top of the scale is 6.5 inches. I've dumped it, and I expect another half inch or so.

I don't remember seeing it, but they used to have a tarp to cover the field. I'll assume that is no longer the case, but the field does drain very well. If mud cleats are still an option, we may see the players wearing them. Otherwise, expect some mud sliding fun. I'll let you know later this morning how the rain plays out down here.

A high school or two in the Raleigh area have been known to hire helicopters in the past to dry their fields out/off for an hour or two before games. No paratroopers however.

WRAL just said nearly 5" in Raleigh since MN and about the same in chappaheeya. Looking like the rain will stop in the next couple hours and then we'll have 20-40 MPH winds to dry things out a bit prior to game time.

DukePA
09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
It's still crazy windy here. There's a tree down in our front yard and the screens are blown out on our porch. How are the roads looking? Any flooding that you guys know of? At this point, I plan to leave around 12:30 and head straight for WW.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Haven't ventured out yet to check our rain gauge, but will shortly.

4.6 inches of rain in the gauge (gage) at 10:00 a.m. Still light rain falling and moderate breezes blowing, but nothing to be concerned about.

Jarhead
09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
A high school or two in the Raleigh area have been known to hire helicopters in the past to dry their fields out/off for an hour or two before games. No paratroopers however.

WRAL just said nearly 5" in Raleigh since MN and about the same in chappaheeya. Looking like the rain will stop in the next couple hours and then we'll have 20-40 MPH winds to dry things out a bit prior to game time.
My rain gauge in my yard in Southern Pines ended up with 7.5 inches of rain. The cloud cover is just starting to break up, and the Ch 5 Doppler radar shows that the rain is out of here, and Asheboro and Burlington. I am thinking about mowing the lawn before lunch. Now, let's get out there, and let's beat Northwestern. Let's build on the good things from last week.

Let me check one last time. Yeah, the sun is shining. The sun is shining. At 10:14 AM the sun is shining

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-06-2008, 10:15 AM
My rain gauge in my yard in Southern Pines ended up with 7.5 inches of rain. The cloud cover is just starting to break up, and the Ch 5 Doppler radar shows that the rain is out of here, and Asheboro and Burlington. I am thinking about mowing the lawn before lunch. Now, let's get out there, and let's beat Northwestern. Let's build on the good things from last week.
I know you know the old football cheers, Jarhead. Will you help lead them in your section? I'm going to lead them in Section 24.

Jarhead
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I know you know the old football cheers, Jarhead. Will you help lead them in your section? I'm going to lead them in Section 24.
Yeah, I remember a lot of them, but the folks around me in Section 6, need no encouragement. Some of us actually sing The Blue and White and Dear Old Duke. Given our ages, though, I doubt if the sound carries all the way to Section 24.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I remember a lot of them, but the folks around me in Section 6, need no encouragement. Some of us actually sing The Blue and White and Dear Old Duke. Given our ages, though, I doubt if the sound carries all the way to Section 24.
Thanks for that information! I sing the words to all the songs, but usually sing alone. I did notice last week that some of the students seem to know the words to the Alma Mater.

Missed meeting you last Saturday at the tailgate party, so I'll look for you at the Iron Duke/Varsity Day do later today!

moonpie23
09-06-2008, 10:41 AM
still light rain and wind here in cary at 10:40..........we've gotten about 6.5 inches....

man, i would hate to play football in my yard right now!!

DukeUsul
09-06-2008, 11:01 AM
We just had power out for 1-1.5 hrs or so here off Erwin Rd between Duke and UNC. Just came back on. Rain appears to be almost over.

Jarhead - good luck keeping the mower from getting stuck in the muck. :eek:

devildeac
09-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Let me check one last time. Yeah, the sun is shining. The sun is shining. At 10:14 AM the sun is shining

Going to the ID tailgate? Hope to meet you then since we never connected last week.

Mowing the lawn after 7.5 inches of rain? Hope you have your mudproof/waterproof shoes. I would not be able to mow for a day or two after that much rain. I think we'll end up with about 5" or maybe 5.5" here in Raleigh when the final remnants move out in the next hour or so.

kinghoops
09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
just north of durham at 11 oclock, hasnt rained here in the last 30 mins, with a total of 5 and a half inches here. playing in a state tornament baseball game many moons ago, they brought in helicopters from camp lejune to dry the field after an all day deluge, and it worked very well......

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-06-2008, 12:40 PM
just north of durham at 11 oclock, hasnt rained here in the last 30 mins, with a total of 5 and a half inches here. playing in a state tornament baseball game many moons ago, they brought in helicopters from camp lejune to dry the field after an all day deluge, and it worked very well......
Might help as long as no one parachutes out on to the field!

By the way, which school were you attending when you played in a state baseball tournament?

365Duke
09-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Sun is out in Durham, people, go to WW!

Tailgate train is leaving in 10 mins.

The Slamming Butcher
09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
The sun is out here in Wake Forest. Time to take a Blue Devil Walk...

...to the store for some beer.

RainingThrees
09-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Is this game going to be on the radio? If so what channel?

Indoor66
09-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Is this game going to be on the radio? If so what channel?

http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm

devildeac
09-06-2008, 03:25 PM
One more time-BTTT.

It's 86-88 degrees in Raleigh (yea, the humidity sucks!), the sun is shining, the wind is blowing gently to dry off the field (and seats:o) and we are headed out the door to catch the Blue Devil walk and an ID/School of Nursing tailgate prior to the 7 PM kickoff. LGD!

RainingThrees
09-06-2008, 03:30 PM
thx. I'll be listening online to the game. Go Duke!!