PDA

View Full Version : Missing National Anthem

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Does anyone who went the game Saturday remember the National Anthem being played? The color guard came on the field, then they announced the delay. 90 minutes later, they started the game, but I don't ever remember hearing the anthem being played. Maybe I totally zoned out and missed it, but I never left the stadium.

DU82
09-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Does anyone who went the game Saturday remember the National Anthem being played? The color guard came on the field, then they announced the delay. 90 minutes later, they started the game, but I don't ever remember hearing the anthem being played. Maybe I totally zoned out and missed it, but I never left the stadium.

We noticed its absence as well. The band played through the part of welcoming JMU, then moved off the field because of the threat of lightning (nothing like holding a trombone or tuba on a field with lightning in the area. Another reason to play the clarinet!)

devildeac
09-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Yea, I really missed the "O" with upheld arms forming the letter over your head:rolleyes:.

PumpkinFunk
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
We noticed its absence as well. The band played through the part of welcoming JMU, then moved off the field because of the threat of lightning (nothing like holding a trombone or tuba on a field with lightning in the area. Another reason to play the clarinet!)

Yeah... we had to leave the field in the middle of pre-game. The drum majors were a bit more terrified than the tubas - standing on top of a metal platform in lightning is terrifying.

shereec
09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
My sister, nephew and I sang it - hands over hearts facing the flag at the closed end of the stadium. We just made it before kick off.

And by the way, I'm really, really proud of the Duke fans for staying in the stadium during the rain delay. The concession stands did a booming business on the disposable ponchos.

Jarhead
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Yea, I really missed the "O" with upheld arms forming the letter over your head:rolleyes:.
Sheesh... I hope that habit dies as you guys get older. It's embarrassing.

jimbonelson
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Sheesh... I hope that habit dies as you guys get older. It's embarrassing. maybe there ...but never at Camden yards

CameronBornAndBred
09-01-2008, 05:30 PM
maybe there ...but never at Camden yards
I wouldn't comment except I miss him often. Originated by a friend of mine, Mr. Wild Bill Hagy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoSYXQ1EEM&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcrimespace%2Ening%2Ecom%2Fvideo% 2Fvideo%2Fshow%3Fid%3D537324%3AVideo%3A65825)
Enjoy that, and let's make sure the anthem is not skipped next game. Whether they play it or not, we can all sing it. That was the first sporting event I can recall that they missed it, maybe that's why it stood out. I love seeing us play, and I love seeing us win, and to our credit we still honored our country at half time, but let's make sure we honor it to start the game this time.

Devilsfan
09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Wasn't it Collins' responsibility to bring it back from China.

Jim3k
09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Just be happy that the Tubas and the drum majors didn't get zapped by a lightning bolt

devildeac
09-01-2008, 06:56 PM

I am older (T-76):o. And, IIRC correctly, you are older, too (no offense intended). Did you overlook my emoticon which I used hoping to convey sarcasm with my response:o? I am not particularly fond of it either. But that's another discussion (and re-discussion, ad infinitum;)). Is that somewhere on the HPR? I'll look it up later.

wilson
09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Enjoy that, and let's make sure the anthem is not skipped next game. Whether they play it or not, we can all sing it.

Perhaps it should henceforth be a self-led thing for the fans, lest we upset this nascent mojo?;)

Scorp4me
09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Under the conditions of the evening I think it's understandable that the National Anthem was left out. It was obvious that it was planned, but the weather had other things in mind. I don't think anyone should be upset in this case.

As for the stupid O thing...come on guys, get rid of it!

CBDUKE
09-01-2008, 11:37 PM
The drum majors were standing on a metal platform? What about all of us sitting on wet metal seats! Was anyone concerned about us??

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-02-2008, 12:57 AM
As for the stupid O thing...come on guys, get rid of it!

I'm surprised that Coach K, given his feelings on patriotism, has not asked the kids to show respect for the National Anthem. It must bother him a lot. I know it does hurt a couple of veterans who sit near us in Cameron.:(

Wouldn't it be great to be the unique venue in our country where everybody actually sings the whole anthem out loud all together instead?
Love, Ima

GrayHare
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
... everybody actually sings the whole anthem...

Practically no one knows the whole anthem. For some reason, I'm particularly fond of the fourth verse:

O! thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd home, and the war's desolation,
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land,
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto "In God is our Trust";
And the star spangled banner, in triumph shall wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/images/uc29.1.jpg

Ders24
09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm surprised that Coach K, given his feelings on patriotism, has not asked the kids to show respect for the National Anthem. It must bother him a lot. I know it does hurt a couple of veterans who sit near us in Cameron.:(

Wouldn't it be great to be the unique venue in our country where everybody actually sings the whole anthem out loud all together instead?
Love, Ima

I 100% agree. I think this should happen every game (I was thinking at basketball games, but why not football?). I'm not a fan of the O, mainly because it was a pretty big thing in the Comcast Center (in addition to not respecting the Anthem).

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM

I recall while I was there '90-'94 that there were only a few bozos who would do the annoying "O" during the anthem. Then when I finally got back to a game years later, I was stunned that nearly the whole student section did it. I think it's very disrespectful and I bet many of the students don't even know why they do it or where it came from. As someone else mentioned, I'm surprised K and others have not put a stop to it.