PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football start

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I do hope it gets better for the conference as a whole next week, but I found this statement really funny and I take pride in it. Duke did pull it's weight this week.

"Only Wake Forest and Duke took care of matters decisively in their openers, and just typing that statement caused four people’s heads to explode in the state of North Carolina. (We apologize for that.)" (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/11636)

He did leave out GT, and they represented well too.

buddy
08-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Remember, the conference expanded and wrecked the basketball round robin because we were going to be such a great football conference. I don't think having Wake and Duke be the only ones taking care of business was what the powers that be had in mind.

devil84
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
"Only Wake Forest and Duke took care of matters decisively in their openers, and just typing that statement caused four people’s heads to explode in the state of North Carolina. (We apologize for that.)" (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/11636) I love that quote!

Keep reading, to find this one: "G is for GPS. The purchase of one might be a stellar idea for the pilots and parachutists who jumped into Wallace Wade stadium and landed on the 35 yard line (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/08/30/men_parachute_football_game.html?imw=Y) with the game ball for McNeese State/UNC." It continues with a bit more. Sure, we've covered that in other threads, but the way it's written gave me a chuckle!

And Z for Zero notes that NCSU has scored zero points in their last 8 quarters of football.

That was a fun little read...thanks for posting, CameronBornAndBred!

footballfan
09-01-2008, 02:00 AM
I do hope it gets better for the conference as a whole next week, but I found this statement really funny and I take pride in it. Duke did pull it's weight this week.

"Only Wake Forest and Duke took care of matters decisively in their openers, and just typing that statement caused four people’s heads to explode in the state of North Carolina. (We apologize for that.)" (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/11636)

He did leave out GT, and they represented well too.

Miami did win 52-7. That's not good enough?

dukeballer2294
09-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Like I knew coming in we wouldnt be great with a lot of teams rebuilding but I at least had Clemson losing to SC in the championship game with their realitvaly easy scheduale. Well be good in a few years when we are developed and Miami getting their great players back.

Wander
09-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Miami did win 52-7. That's not good enough?

Baylor and James Madison may be mediocre teams at best but you at least have to try a little bit when you play them. You really can't take anything away from a win over Charleston Southern. It's a neutral result. And given how bad Miami was last year, I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Play competitively against Florida next week and I'll start believing.

footballfan
09-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Baylor and James Madison may be mediocre teams at best but you at least have to try a little bit when you play them. You really can't take anything away from a win over Charleston Southern. It's a neutral result. And given how bad Miami was last year, I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Play competitively against Florida next week and I'll start believing.

Let's see:

-Miami suspended 7 players for the game (mostly for missing study hall, etc) including the starting QB (Marvin)
-Reggie Youngblood, the starting Right Tackle was held out
-The two starting DEs were held out (Bailey and Moncur), and the #1 DE backup Ojomo.

Yet the game was over by the end of the first quarter. Yes Charleston Southern was a patsy, but still a nice win.

PDDuke85
09-01-2008, 07:28 PM
lots of Clemson fans where I reside and most are feeling a bit down this weekend. As I've explained, Alabama is good. They finally put Duke away in the 4th quarter a couple of years ago. As for the future of Clemson football, once they realize the 'Fridge ain't coming through that kitchen door anytime soon, it's time to retool, meaning looking to the SEC for a head coach and staying away from Conference USA. With Duke, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech holding down the fort this year, the ACC should improve in a couple of years.:)