PDA

View Full Version : Stealing the Carolina Game Ball. What a great move.

Devilsfan
08-31-2008, 02:54 PM
I heard that there would be surprises last night, but having the Carolina game ball delivered to Wallace Wade was one of the best pranks ever! It's right up there with the Cadets kidnapping that silly Navy goat.

Wander
08-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Interesting theory. Here are some alternate theories I've heard:

> The guys did land at UNC, but they heard some Carolina students in the stands scream "Go back to the ghetto" so they left.
> Ty Lawson was piloting the plane drunk.
> UNC officials tried to give the pilot the correct coordinates but literally couldn't find Chapel Hill on the map.
> The parachutes opened over Chapel Hill, but the guys were swept nine miles away by wind due to UNC blowing so much.
> UNC hired an agency to find the most qualified paratroopers, and were recommended to the national parachute champions of 1924 (as declared by the Helms foundation).
> The plane was directly over UNC, but the paratroopers were pushed out of the vehicle by Marion Jones.

We need to get a team together to investigate more seriously and find out the truth.

killerleft
08-31-2008, 03:32 PM

> The guys did land at UNC, but they heard some Carolina students in the stands scream "Go back to the ghetto" so they left.
> UNC officials tried to give the pilot the correct coordinates but literally couldn't find Chapel Hill on the map.
> The parachutes opened over Chapel Hill, but the guys were swept nine miles away by wind due to UNC blowing so much.
> UNC hired an agency to find the most qualified paratroopers, and were recommended to the national parachute champions of 1924 (as declared by the Helms foundation).
> The plane was directly over UNC, but the paratroopers were pushed out of the vehicle by Marion Jones.

We need to get a team together to investigate more seriously and find out the truth.

LOL!! I vote for the 1924 Helms parachuters. Aided by the Marion Jones shove!

chrishoke
08-31-2008, 03:42 PM

Post of the week!

dukeballer2294
08-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Post of the week!

Haha couldn;t agree more with the Lawson idea.

DukePA
08-31-2008, 07:09 PM

:D:D:D:D That's hilarious!!!! GTHC, GTH, ES!!!

godukecom
08-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Potw

DukieInKansas
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
A UNC official said that this might be funny in five years. He's wrong, it is funny now. Was this a sign of an improved Duke defense? After all, they recovered the ball from a team playing eight miles away.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
A UNC official said that this might be funny in five years. He's wrong, it is funny now. Was this a sign of an improved Duke defense? After all, they recovered the ball from a team playing eight miles away.

Now THIS is the POTW!

devildeac
08-31-2008, 09:46 PM
There simply MUST be something in this for the FITSter. Paging the long lost FITSter.

SharkD
08-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axbq6UaUOfE

Grabbed from the front page.

--

Watching from our tailgate, in the 751 lot, I was wondering what skydivers were doing jumping in an hour before the scheduled start.

davekay1971
09-01-2008, 07:20 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/64374

UNC parachutes land at Duke
Posted: Sunday August 31, 2008 07:59AM ET

"In about five years, maybe this will be funny," UNC associate athletic director Rick Steinbacher said.

Maybe it's just me...but I think he's off by about five years.

Wander
09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm sure there's also some joke to be made about Hansbrough and traveling in there but I can't quite articulate it...

dukeimac
09-01-2008, 09:24 AM
ROF BMG LMAO

Nope, I think it is funny today.

FYI: Rolling on floor Busting my gut Laughing my pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! off

Some of you have asked before what it means.

bigj4194
09-01-2008, 09:57 AM
so i was at the student tailgate watching them come down and i was joking about them being off...if only i had known the true story...this just made my morning =)

devildeac
09-01-2008, 10:07 AM
There simply MUST be something in this for the FITSter. Paging the long lost FITSter.

All hail the long lost FITSter who has returned to the Front/Main/Home page with a brief but amusing report:D.

devildeac
09-01-2008, 10:17 AM
The FITSter is amused, however:D. (see front/main/home page)

Lord Ash
09-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Maybe all of the hot air rising out of Chapel Hill is what lifted them off-course?

ugadevil
09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe all of the hot air rising out of Chapel Hill is what lifted them off-course?

That's what I was thinking. The pilot decided to avoid the heat and flames that were visible in hell and decided to go to Wallace Wade instead.

GopherBlue
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I hope the Duke officials held onto the game ball. They should have it bronzed and then play for it every year, a la Floyd of Rosedale (http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/11/14_steilm_floydofrosedale/) or Little Brown Jug (http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39876&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=271620).

I'm sure someone on this board can come up with a creative name for this annual award - the amusing history is already written thanks to Aerial Adventures of Virginia.

Lord Ash
09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Just awesome.

Stolen shamelessly from The Ultimate Lord's Ultimate Blog...

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9386/paraavm6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

He is cruel, but he is funny.

http://theultimatelord.blogspot.com/

duke2x
09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Given Roy's propensity for throwing his players under the bus...

We already have an annual award for the Duke-UNC game. It's called the Victory Bell.

Ignatius07
09-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Can someone explain what happened that everybody is talking about?

Jim3k
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I heard that there would be surprises last night, but having the Carolina game ball delivered to Wallace Wade was one of the best pranks ever! It's right up there with the Cadets kidnapping that silly Navy goat.

Hold on there! The one to point to is 1960, when the Duke freshmen stole Navy's goat and painted a big blue D on it.

DukePA
09-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Hold on there! The one to point to is 1960, when the Duke freshmen stole Navy's goat and painted a big blue D on it.

I don't know what year it happened, but I seem to remember that some time during the 70's, some fantabulous Duke students stole ramses from chapel hell and painted DUKE on its sides :D and I also seem to remember seeing DUKE mowed into the grass at the dean dome :cool:

OldPhiKap
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Can someone explain what happened that everybody is talking about?

UNC had an elaborate game opener where two parashooters were to land in Kenan Stadium with the game ball. Sounds like great theatrics.

Problem is, they got confused and parashooted into Wally Wade instead. (There is video of it linked on the front DBR page).

Word is, they were off course because INC blows so bad.

Ignatius07
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM
So then what's this about stealing the game ball? They were dropping in with the ball to be played with?

roywhite
09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
So then what's this about stealing the game ball? They were dropping in with the ball to be played with?

Yep.

Pretty funny...though some UNC folk were not amused. :)

DukePA
09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Yep.

Pretty funny...though some UNC folk were not amused. :)

My guy is a tarheel and said that there was no mention of the parachuters Saturday night by the carolina radio network. When I first read about it early Sunday, I thought it was a joke. I'm so, so glad to know that it is a joke and that it's on the slime blue!! Hee, hee :D

DukePA
09-02-2008, 08:01 AM
One my nurses, who happens to be a huge ECU fan, suggested that when the carolina game ball was dropped into WW, the Duke players should have signed it and sent it over the chapel hell. Ahh, that would have been classic!