PDA

View Full Version : New Blue Devil mascot!!!

HS Dukie
08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
What did everyone think of the new and improved Blue Devil mascot last night?

I think it looks great - the old one was really starting to show its age.

Check out the pictures on the N&O game photo gallery.

Go Duke

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-31-2008, 11:12 AM

Go Duke
The new Blue Devil is more like the original Blue Devil looked back when my dad was an undergraduate (1929-33) .... just updated. Even the moves he/she makes are more like the crack fighting troops the mascot was named for. The old big headed mascot looked like a cartoon character and acted like it. This one means business! Perhaps we'll be starting trend for college mascots.

PumpkinFunk
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
A lot of people around me who saw it during the game didn't seem happy, but I actually like it a lot. The old one just looked old and wearing, but the new mascot looks a lot better. Definitely not as cartoon-y

Lord Ash
08-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Whoa!

Uhhhmmmm... crazy. I don't know what to make of him. More serious, for sure, but... man. I don't know. I'll defer to people who were there.

Lord Ash
08-31-2008, 11:22 AM
BTW, this guy is just for football, right? After all, he is wearing football pants, and I think he would look funny in shorts...

moonpie23
08-31-2008, 11:25 AM
he kinda looks like Mr. Incredible......with spock ears...

i'm down with his bad self....

MADevil30
08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
He looked alright at the game, definitely more serious which is kinda the mo for this football season so I wasn't really surprised, but I still prefer the old, more cartoonish devil. I had the same thought about the new one being football only.

Ignatius07
08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
BTW, this guy is just for football, right? After all, he is wearing football pants, and I think he would look funny in shorts...

I don't see why it would be for football only, unless Cutcliffe specifically requested an update for football. I would think it would be an athletics-wide change.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
We thought the Devil's entrance was spectacular! Hollywood couldn't have choreographed it better. With thunder sounding in the distance, lightning crackling around the outside of the stadium and the undercurrent of rumbly music, he crept out of the tunnel and onto the wide expanse of green looking ominous and throwing hexes in all directions. The weather and gorgeous lighting definitely added to the aura!

That big ol' cartoon head could never have pulled it off. He's elusive now....showing up here and there when you least expect him. I hope his mystique continues to grow into legend! Bless his heart!!!

Love, Ima

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
We thought the Devil's entrance was spectacular! Hollywood couldn't have choreographed it better. With thunder sounding in the distance, lightning crackling around the outside of the stadium and the undercurrent of rumbly music, he crept out of the tunnel and onto the wide expanse of green looking ominous and throwing hexes in all directions. The weather and gorgeous lighting definitely added to the aura!

That big ol' cartoon head could never have pulled it off. He's elusive now....showing up here and there when you least expect him. I hope his mystique continues to grow into legend! Bless his heart!!!

Love, Ima
I second that! The cartoon head was never like the REAL Blue Devil. Some of you have never known anything else, but it's time for a change! Back to the future!

burnspbesq
08-31-2008, 12:23 PM
OK for football, I suppose ... but keep that thing away from Cameron and Koskinen.

DukeUsul
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
The cartoon head has needed a lot of work, especially that huge chunk of foam that got taken out of its nose some years ago.

If they do use the new mascot outfit for all sports, I wonder if they'll still do the tape on the head thing. It's always fun to go down into DUMBHell under Card and see the tape all over the walls from games past. I hope the tradition continues.

godukecom
08-31-2008, 12:36 PM
eh... i liked the cartoonish devil...
but i do suppose this one is fine... so long as the headband continues

fitimi1
08-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I love the attitude. Especially the pitch fork at mid-field.

Just a fantastic atmosphere all around. Picking up lots of "clues" from Cameron Crazies. Was elated to see student section back on "right" side of the field that stood during the entire game. Coach "Cut" was extremely classy in coming out during the delay and saluting the student section.

Of course, the funniest thing that happened was the arrived of the parachutist who thought they were in Chapel Hill.

Only suggestion that I could possibly make would be in have some sort of "manufactured" noise after a score. Of course when we get the bell back, that problem will be solved.

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2008, 12:46 PM
My favorite will always be the one I knew as a young kid, he was just a guy basically in a body leotard, cowl, and cape. (Batman without the body armor!)
When I first saw the old one, he came to our elementary school, and I hated it from the first time I saw it. Gradually I learned to accept it, but never loved it. I like the new one, slimmed down and more serious looking. He put on a good act too.

Edouble
08-31-2008, 12:47 PM
I am generally opposed to change, as I like tradition, and the "old" cartoonish Blue Devil is my tradition. However, the tradition of losing in football is not one I'm crazy about, so if a new Blue Devil can help (even if only symbolically) usher in a new era on the gridiron, I really don't care that much. A new mascot head seems like something we could get used to fairly quickly. As long as the best traditions (students in section 19, no pumping in of music, etc) don't change, I'm not too opposed to minor tweaks (new mascot head, new scoreboard).

Lord Ash
08-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Nothing to back this up, but my guess is that Cut was involved. He seems to be all about the program-wide makeover, from the pre-game walk to the touch-the-rock, and seems pretty thorough.

Anyone have any news about what lead to the new Devil, and if he is football only? As I said before, he IS wearing football pants...

killerleft
08-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Accolades to the new Devil! Tougher for sure. And he doesn't have to hold on to his head all the time, nor be as concious of it as he performs.

The Devil with the Big Head has always been awkward. I say let's start a trend back toward mascots who can do something besides strut with their shoulders squared.

C'mon! This is one change that is long overdue, only bested by 31-7 wins and a new Football Era!

Quiz: Why did the tradition of messages taped to the big 'ol melon devil head have to be started? Answer (with a question): How the heck else was he going to express himself?

msdukie
08-31-2008, 01:51 PM
The old Devil in recent years wore a football uniform during football season and a basketball season during basketball season. (No doubt, Nike's doing). He also showed up with a lacrosse jersey last year. Before that, he just wore his belt.

Also, this one is missing the headband....

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Love, Ima

Was it just my imagination running away with me or did I hear a fiendish, devilish laugh coming through the PA system when the Devil was out there showing off? It sounded like the Devil would laugh for sure. Did anybody else hear it? The crowd was loud but I thought I heard it behind everything.It reminded me of the howl at wolfpack games that starts out barely audible early on and gets louder as game time approaches.

killerleft
08-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Was it just my imagination running away with me or did I hear a fiendish, devilish laugh coming through the PA system when the Devil was out there showing off? It sounded like the Devil would laugh for sure. Did anybody else hear it? The crowd was loud but I thought I heard it behind everything.It reminded me of the howl at wolfpack games that starts out barely audible early on and gets louder as game time approaches.

I definitely heard that fiendish laugh! And it goes very well with the new Devil.

The old fathead devil; what kinda noise would he make? "Which way did he go, George, which way did he go?".

TillyGalore
08-31-2008, 03:12 PM

I think the fiendish laugh was Vincent Price's from Michael Jackson's Thriller. That was a fabulous touch.

I liked the old devil, but this one will grow on me I'm sure.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-31-2008, 03:27 PM
I thought I was really losing it. I feel better now. I'm glad you guys heard it, too. Bless your hearts. It WAS a stoke of geniius!
Love, Ima

Jarhead
08-31-2008, 03:54 PM
The new devil is OK by me, in football, hoops, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, tennis, golf, or commencement garb, with or without the Jim McMahon headbands. Add goofy to cartoonish for the big headed one.

taiw93
08-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Although the tougher and meaner new devil is perfect for a tough and mean sport like football, I really liked the element of fun that the goofy old devil added to basketball. There's no way any other mascot could top the old devil body surfing. The disproportionality of its head to its body always made me chuckle...

yancem
08-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Just checked out the pictures and I definitely like the new mascot! A leaner, meaner, more intimidating Blue Devil. I think that it fits with what Coach Cut is trying to do with the team.

Farlan
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM
The new Devil is great -- especially the pitchfork with the D in it! The Devil's entrance into the stadium was dramatic and we loved the way he dug his pitfork into the center of the field -- kinda like "this is our turf -- enter if you dare!"

DevilDad
08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
The other parents that I sat with were amazed. The is truly the dawn of change! The Blue Devil is Fantastic! (The old one was just silly). The student section was great. Cut has my support 100%!

miramar
08-31-2008, 07:19 PM
I would have to see the new one in basketball gear, but perhaps the big head is what led last year's mascot to fall off the surfboard and blow a knee. C'mon, if Jay Bilas can surf in Cameron, so should the mascot.

miramar
08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Here is a rather interesting photo gallery of Blue Devil Mascots over the years from the University archives. The early versions are pretty funny, more like an oversized bunny with horns.

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/exhibits/bluedevil/index.html

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2008, 07:42 PM
That's great Miramar, thanks very much!

This is the guy I grew up knowing...http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/blue_devil_gallery/70sdevil.jpg..except I don't remember the bell bottoms..lol!

jlear
08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
When the devil claims the field with his trident at midfield we need flames shooting up somewhere (or out of the top of a special trident used just for this) and a bunch of very loud thunder sounds effects and some flashing lights.

Night games are so much better than noon games!

It would also be great if the band was amped up, even harder to hear them now with a full house.

allenmurray
08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
I really liked the old devil with the big head (but then again, I really like Pete Gillen, maybe it is a big head thing). However, I am not averse to change. I kind of like the new devil as well.

What I don't like is the unceremonious dumping of the old devil - after all he was our mascot for three Basketball National Championships!

I think there shoud be some kind of retirement ceremony or recognition for the old devil - a rite of passing the guard. He served us well and shouldn't just be dumped. It ain't right I tell ya' , it ain't raaaaght!

adam
08-31-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't like the new devil at all. Mascots are supposed to be "larger than life". After all, they're mascots. Their purpose is to entertain and amuse. Please bring back the Blue Devil mascot I've known and loved for the past 15+ years.

godukecom
08-31-2008, 10:46 PM
question for watzone (or anyone else who would know):
is this for all sports or just for football? I've heard both...

wolfpackdevil
08-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Go Duke

I think that this devil is wayyyyy better than the old blue devil. The old one was just a little too kidish for me. Nobody was intimidated by the big happy devil with a smile on his face.

The new and improoved devil was fierce and I loved the sticking of the spear at mid-field before the game. I just though that the devil was just more serious and involved in the game and not the 2 year old kids, like the old one. Kudos to the new devil

RelativeWays
08-31-2008, 11:19 PM
I haven't decided how I feel about the new mascot. He doesn't look bad and may work for the football team but I can't imagine him working the court at Cameron. Actually, based on the new look, he should spend less time cheering on Duke and more time chasing the Joker.

SharkD
08-31-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm torn, too. It fits football, but the "big head" Blue Devil (which, IIRC, dates to 1979 or '80) seems perfect for the goofier atmosphere in Cameron.

By the way, the new Devil not only plants the pitchfork at the team introduction, he plants it in the endzone after a successful touchdown/extra point. (At least he did for three of the four EPs, but not the FG.) The pitchfork and posing are accompanied by the cackling over the PA system.

Video of the (Former?) Blue Devil tryouts from 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fble5iNj194

watzone
08-31-2008, 11:34 PM
question for watzone (or anyone else who would know):
is this for all sports or just for football? I've heard both...

Not sure. There is a picture of the new Devil in front of the Chapel at my site for those interested.

Acymetric
09-01-2008, 12:15 AM
When the devil claims the field with his trident at midfield we need flames shooting up somewhere (or out of the top of a special trident used just for this) and a bunch of very loud thunder sounds effects and some flashing lights.

Night games are so much better than noon games!

It would also be great if the band was amped up, even harder to hear them now with a full house.

The reason the band is quiet is because you're more or less behind them (proably. The majority of the people were sitting on the home side or the closed part of the shoe). The sound from those instruments really does go almost straight forward, and if you're not in the direct path, you'll hear almost nothing. people directly across the stadium could probably hear better than people sitting 5 rows behind the band. We still wouldn't be as loud as JMU's band (obviously they were bigger). The only way to fix this would be to put the band opposite the home bench, but I don't think that would be a good move.

As an aside, I had a competition at JMU several years ago for marching band. those were the days...

diablesseblu
09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Not sure. There is a picture of the new Devil in front of the Chapel at my site for those interested.

Mark,

Could you possibly link to the pic? Would love to see it. Went to your site but couldn't find it.

Thanks.

SharkD
09-01-2008, 12:58 AM
The reason the band is quiet is because you're more or less behind them (proably. The majority of the people were sitting on the home side or the closed part of the shoe). The sound from those instruments really does go almost straight forward, and if you're not in the direct path, you'll hear almost nothing. people directly across the stadium could probably hear better than people sitting 5 rows behind the band. We still wouldn't be as loud as JMU's band (obviously they were bigger). The only way to fix this would be to put the band opposite the home bench, but I don't think that would be a good move.

It also doesn't help that we only have two Tubas (if I counted correctly -- the band site (http://www.dukeband.org/roster.php?orderby=instrument) says there are 3, which isn't that many, either way).

BTW, the "JMU" band was actually Riverside HS's band. (No Joke)

DevilAlumna
09-01-2008, 12:58 AM
The new Devil is great -- especially the pitchfork with the D in it! The Devil's entrance into the stadium was dramatic and we loved the way he dug his pitfork into the center of the field -- kinda like "this is our turf -- enter if you dare!"

I like the new look, but this planting of the pitchfork in the middle of the field strikes me as a cheap ripoff from the FSU Seminole... :(

watzone
09-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Mark,

Could you possibly link to the pic? Would love to see it. Went to your site but couldn't find it.

Thanks.

http://bluedevilnation.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc04669.jpg

devilirium
09-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess. Duke also has a "rock" that they touch coming out of the tunnel.....

gep
09-01-2008, 03:11 AM

What about putting the band at the "top" of the section they are in now... with no one above them. Then they would be in the direct path of the Duke section(s)...:rolleyes:

heyman25
09-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Much better devil. Now if they could get rid of that goofy logo with a new version. A serious looking blue devil is a much better symbol than some wimpy clown devil they currently use for Duke University Stores clothing and gear. The logo in the Bubas Era was much better from a design than that lame devil cartoon they currently use. Anyone know the name of the designer of the Blue devil logo. He would have been vetoed if I had any say.

diablesseblu
09-01-2008, 08:59 AM
http://bluedevilnation.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc04669.jpg

Thanks for posting the URL. Could not make the game on Saturday PM but heard rave reviews of the "new" Devil from family members who were there.

Being a longtime fan (of a "certain age"), this latest incarnation of the mascot seems to do a great job of blending the old and new. Yes, I have happy associations of the "big head" devil in recent years, but he always seemed somehow a bit too cartoonish.

That previous version seemed more like pure sideline entertainment than the representation of an athletic team...more like ones in MLB. I like the new devil for college sports.

dukechem
09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Here is a picture of the Devil from 1968.

1Devil
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
That's great Miramar, thanks very much!

This is the guy I grew up knowing...http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/blue_devil_gallery/70sdevil.jpg..except I don't remember the bell bottoms..lol!

I've gotta say that that's just awful. I've liked the big-headed goofy mascot for my 27 years of fandom and it will/would be hard to get used to something else. But the new one is pretty good.

devilirium
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
^ Definitely agree....that was chic back then I s'pose, but that '68 Devil is not a good look.

I look at that little guy and the phrase "I'm Gumby, dammit" comes trailing out of my mouth.

allenmurray
09-01-2008, 11:41 AM
The old Blue Devil has been treated like the original Darron on Bewitched - replaced without explanation, and no with appreciation to the previous one. I still think doing this without any tipping-of-the-hat to the old Blue Devil is very bad mojo, and may come back to haunt us with the mascot gods.

There must be some ceremony of appreciation and changing-of-the-guard for the old Blue Devil. Basic dignity demands it.

Lord Ash
09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Allen, you don't change your underware after wins, do you?

allenmurray
09-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Now I'm gettin' old,
I don't wear underwear,
I don't go to church,
I don't cut my hair . . .

- Jimmy Buffet

But, if we adopt a new Blue Devil to shake the bad football mojo, what will it do to our basketball? That is my concern.

wilson
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
But, if we adopt a new Blue Devil to shake the bad football mojo, what will it do to our basketball? That is my concern.

Careful...you might prefer to leave the lid on the can of worms that is the "basketball mojo" discussion.;)

Capn Poptart
09-02-2008, 12:44 AM
The old giant-headed devil was a big goofball. I couldn't stand him. For one thing, there was no intimidation factor. Two, he was okay when we were winning big ("I feel happy!!"), but when we were getting our butts kicked in football, I'd look over and see this clueless grinning dufus, and it would just annoy me.

A snarl is appropriate whether we're winning, losing, or the game is tight.

CameronBornAndBred
09-02-2008, 01:03 AM
For fun, check this photo collection out. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeyearlook/sets/72157603199003171/)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2232/1922448143_23bca6cf82.jpg?v=0

A-Tex Devil
09-02-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm going to come out of the closet/equipment room as a former mascot in the mid nineties. I love the new mascot, and wish they'd done it when I was there.

The Ath Dept. had a small head around '96-'97 (an exact replica of the big head) but unbelievably , it had less visibility than the big head. The big head was completely unwieldy. I remember in the first round of the tourney one year getting SCHOOLED by the Radford mascot at a quick game of basketball during pregame -- ummm, embarassing? What do you expect with little b-ball skill combined with no peripheral vision. My "mentor" hit a three one time halftime at Cameron in '95 or so which was cool, but even he would admit it was lucky -- and he had a bit of skill. I will take credit for rocking the front handspring several times with the big head on, though. Still haven't seen that done with the big head in the past decade...

I hope some version of the new guy is used for basketball. No reason he/she can't still surf the band during wipeout. I endorse the change if that means anything at all.

And don't get me started on the new pitchfork. I asked the Ath Dept. for something like that OVER AND OVER AND OVER in my time. Nope. I had to go to the local costume shop (what was the name?) buy a red one and spray paint it blue.

Indoor66
09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm going to come out of the closet/equipment room as a former mascot in the mid nineties. I love the new mascot, and wish they'd done it when I was there.

The Ath Dept. had a small head around '96-'97 (an exact replica of the big head) but unbelievably , it had less visibility than the big head. The big head was completely unwieldy. I remember in the first round of the tourney one year getting SCHOOLED by the Radford mascot at a quick game of basketball during pregame -- ummm, embarassing? What do you expect with little b-ball skill combined with no peripheral vision. My "mentor" hit a three one time halftime at Cameron in '95 or so which was cool, but even he would admit it was lucky -- and he had a bit of skill. I will take credit for rocking the front handspring several times with the big head on, though. Still haven't seen that done with the big head in the past decade...

I hope some version of the new guy is used for basketball. No reason he/she can't still surf the band during wipeout. I endorse the change if that means anything at all.

And don't get me started on the new pitchfork. I asked the Ath Dept. for something like that OVER AND OVER AND OVER in my time. Nope. I had to go to the local costume shop (what was the name?) buy a red one and spray paint it blue.

Wasn't that over on Lakewood Avenue, near the Tuba store?

kessler
09-02-2008, 09:11 AM
maybe they should call the fans the wallace wade wackos? because wallace wade crazies sounds kinda iffy to me.

CathyCA
09-02-2008, 09:59 AM
The new Blue Devil's horns are skin toned and turned in a funny direction. Just a small nit-picky thing on my part. I would have painted the horns either blue or black.

Turk
09-02-2008, 12:04 PM
The cartoon head has needed a lot of work, especially that huge chunk of foam that got taken out of its nose some years ago.

If they do use the new mascot outfit for all sports, I wonder if they'll still do the tape on the head thing. It's always fun to go down into DUMBHell under Card and see the tape all over the walls from games past. I hope the tradition continues.

I always liked the headband too. Watching TV games, I always try to see what's on the headband but it's tough to do, what with all the commercials, network promos, and mandatory Coach Vitale air time needed...

I never knew they put the headband tape on a wall in Card as a souvenir - how cool is that?!? There's gotta be 800 pieces of tape by now - I'd pay money to go see that... In fact, I think I'ma gonna start me a little old thread on favorite headbands...

BTW, allenmurray, I think you're spot on about having some sort of "changing of the guard" mascot ceremony. Like maybe the old Devil hands over his cape and pitchfork, and puts on golf clothes or some other sort of "happy retirement" apparel. You creative types out there could take it a bunch of different ways...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-03-2008, 10:57 PM
The old Blue Devil has been treated like the original Darron on Bewitched - replaced without explanation, and no with appreciation to the previous one. I still think doing this without any tipping-of-the-hat to the old Blue Devil is very bad mojo, and may come back to haunt us with the mascot gods.

There must be some ceremony of appreciation and changing-of-the-guard for the old Blue Devil. Basic dignity demands it.

I don't recall any sort of ceremony to usher out the old Blue Devil and usher in the big head version when that change was made.

I'm glad to see an update for our mascot. This one is closer to the inspiration for selecting the Blue Devil in the first place. My recall is that the original Blue Devils were a crack fighting force from France who fought in WWI. This was an elite group who took on the most difficult assignments, not unlike current day special ops.

Lulu
09-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Ugh... I hate it and its eyes are way too high.

MHTorringjan
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
maybe they should call the fans the wallace wade wackos? because wallace wade crazies sounds kinda iffy to me.

I thought they already were called the Wade Wackos, I seem to remember it being on a t-shirt in the Student store in the past. Anyway, that's another topic.

I have to say, I like the slick appearance of the new Devil, with the smaller head being an interesting change. However, I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that I love the old Devil, even with the giant head that always fell off when he couldn't make it all the way across the court on the surfboard. It's what I grew up with, and it's what I'll always think of when I see the Devil.

And yes, the '68 devil pictures are awful. I mean, the suit didn't even fit!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I thought they already were called the Wade Wackos, I seem to remember it being on a t-shirt in the Student store in the past. Anyway, that's another topic.

I have to say, I like the slick appearance of the new Devil, with the smaller head being an interesting change. However, I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that I love the old Devil, even with the giant head that always fell off when he couldn't make it all the way across the court on the surfboard. It's what I grew up with, and it's what I'll always think of when I see the Devil.

And yes, the '68 devil pictures are awful. I mean, the suit didn't even fit!

When you look at pictures of the Blue Devil over the years, it's a good idea to remember the context of each costume and consider how other mascots of the same period of time were dressed. The version of the Blue Devil with the big cartoon head is really not the traditional look for our mascot, only a relatively recent incarnation in a long history. Each generation seems to want the Blue Devil to remain as it was when they knew it. Some updating and changes are an essential part of being vital. When Duke went to the big head style of mascot, we were following the trend in mascot attire. I like the fact that now we seem to be ahead of whatever trend is developing. The new Blue Devil is symbolic of a lean, mean fighting machine like Coach Cutcliffe is leading our football team to be and like the original Blue Devils were in the French army in WWI. There has been a certain malaise in Cameron the past few seasons. A new look to the Blue Devil can be part of a renaissance for basketball as well.

Son of Mojo
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
From the pics I've seen I love the new appearance of the devil--imposing, ready to throw down.....here's to keeping it for quite a while.

Lulu
09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Out of curiosity, who made the decision to change the appearance of the mascot? The Athletic Dept? The Student Government/Body?

Someone mentioned that the previous mascot wasn't as "intimidating" as the new one. I disagree. I don't know anyone, aside from a child, who is intimidated by how "mean" the mascot appears. On the other hand, recognizing the mascot associated with 3 national championships and the building of the Duke brand of basketball during a period of utter dominance... maybe that meant something.

I'm wondering how many iterations were considered, because even if they were determined to create a slimmed-down version in a similar style, I just find it poorly designed in terms of details and proportions (and no, before someone mentions the big-headed one - I do not mean realistic proportions, rather aesthetic ones). There are a lot of mascots out there that appear to be of higher quality.

Acymetric
09-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I would just like to observe, from this thread, the Wallace Wade thread, and any thread about Cameron in memory, that Duke fans tend to be ridiculously xenophobic. A counterpoint to both questions (Wade and the mascot) is that while it was associated with a winning basketball team, the stadium and mascot were associated with the absolute worst football team.

Change is good guys. There was blue devil before this one, and we'll probably change styles again down the road. I'm sure there were people (not sure who) that didn't like it when basketball players started wearing shorts that went down to their knees, but I am certainly glad for that change now.

In fairness, I think you get this with all fans. But it seems to be especially strong in Duke fans to me.

msdukie
09-05-2008, 03:07 PM
I would just like to observe, from this thread, the Wallace Wade thread, and any thread about Cameron in memory, that Duke fans tend to be ridiculously xenophobic. A counterpoint to both questions (Wade and the mascot) is that while it was associated with a winning basketball team, the stadium and mascot were associated with the absolute worst football team.

Change is good guys. There was blue devil before this one, and we'll probably change styles again down the road. I'm sure there were people (not sure who) that didn't like it when basketball players started wearing shorts that went down to their knees, but I am certainly glad for that change now.

In fairness, I think you get this with all fans. But it seems to be especially strong in Duke fans to me.

Is change good when black trim is added to the home and road basketball jerseys?

blueeagle65
10-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Does anyone else dislike the 'new' Blue Devil mascot or is it just me?:confused:

1Devil
10-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I like the new one, but I miss the old one. The old one was fun-loving. This new one is all business. The new one won't look right participating in goofy stunts.

But if the goal was to come up with a more serious-looking mascot, I think the plan was very well-executed.

PallasAthena
10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't know if it is a case of liking or disliking -- I haven't made up my mind yet. I did comment on Saturday to Mr. PallasAthena that the student serving as mascot would have to use his body much more than previous Blue Devils, since the head would do much less of the movement for him.

I do think the ears on the new mascot's get-up are perhaps overly large. They seemed to almost reach the tips of the Devil's horns!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I love the new Blue Devil! He's more like the one I grew up seeing at the games. I like the new athleticism and different antics which are possible with the new look. I also think the new look is actually more closely connected to the origins of the original Blue Devil, yet with a fresh, new appearance.

There are lots of mascots with big cartoon heads, but there's only one Blue Devil!

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
He can do sooo much more now that he doesn't have to balance that big ol' goofy bobble-head. Much more flexible personality. He can be fierce with his sweeping cape and pitchfork, or he can be joyful as he was in Cameron on Saturday showing off some great dancing moves. I also like the way he turns up unexpectedly here and there, sort of catching you off guard. Very diabolical.

Love, Ima

Lord Ash
10-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Has anyone ever answered the question about the new Blue Devil being for ALL sports, or just for football?

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Has anyone ever answered the question about the new Blue Devil being for ALL sports, or just for football?
We saw the answer at the Blue & White Scrimmage. The new Blue Devil was there albeit wearing his basketball shorts over his football pants. His performance in Cameron was better than the new scoreboard!

vabluedevil
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I read he danced. Did the Blue Devil surf Saturday?

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
We saw the answer at the Blue & White Scrimmage. The new Blue Devil was there albeit wearing his basketball shorts over his football pants. His performance in Cameron was better than the new scoreboard!

He did sport a headband, which I've always asociated with basketball. From where I sat, it looked like it said "IT'S TIME!"

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
He did sport a headband, which I've always asociated with basketball. From where I sat, it looked like it said "IT'S TIME!"
You are correct!

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
You are correct!

Wooohooo..I don't need glasses yet! (that was a long way to see the small print:))

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I read he danced. Did the Blue Devil surf Saturday?
In a scrimmage like the Blue & White, there isn't time available for something like that..... very few stops to the play. It's basically an open practice. I have no doubt that the Blue Devil will be surfing soon enough!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Wooohooo..I don't need glasses yet! (that was a long way to see the small print:))
Good seats and current prescription of contacts up to date

killerleft
10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
The new Blue Devil is full of vigor,
A figure both dashing and edgy.

The old Swelled Head was cute but goofy,
The guy always gettin' wedgies.

Wedgie guy,
Go bye-bye!

Highlander
10-21-2008, 10:03 AM
The blue devil also did cartwheels at the basketball game, something that would have been impossible with the old costume. Plus the old costume had a big chunk missing from the nose, and it was time for a replacement.

In general I agree. Change in general is good and healthy. Even if it involves adding black to the uniforms (which I like). However, not all change is good (see adding off color swatches to the shoulders in 1994-95).

Zeb
10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I think the new mascot is a slight improvement over the beat up old one. But it still perpetuates a problem Duke's mascot has had for ages. Why is our Blue Devil mascot always depicted as a caucasian is a blue suit? Are we Blue Devils? Or Blue Devil-men? Why not a solid blue Blue Devil? Then it doesn't imply any sort of racial affiliation.

And spare me the PC comments--I'm not saying we need to get some gender neutral mascot, nor do I care about the religious implications of a devil. I just have never understood why our mascot isn't a Blue Devil, but instead is a white guy dressed like a blue devil. Even UNC with their dumb goat mascot (hello--you're called Tar Heels) doesn't have a mascot showing a person dressed as a goat--its a plain old goat, albeit cartoonish.

Capn Poptart
10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
It's a good topic for discussion, Zeb.

I guess because for fifty years it really was a white guy dressed up as a blue devil. Sorta like, um, Batman. So when they made the switch to the big headed costume guy (early 80s?), they just made a big head that looked like the white guy in the suit that everyone had always known. There's really no reason to continue it now, beyond tradition.

At this point, the "skin" could just as easily be blue.

throatybeard
01-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I gotta say, I don't miss this guy and his rotting nose (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/757370-50-most-ridiculous-mascots/page/8).

weezie
01-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Good job throaty. We need a little levity in here!

wncgrad
01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
The historic mascot of Trinity College and Duke University is not named after a devil who happens to be blue but a World War I French alpine fighting unit that happened to have uniforms which included dark blue capes and berets. I trust those were the dress uniforms and not the ones used in the snow!