PDA

View Full Version : NC State-South Carolina

throatybeard
08-28-2008, 08:05 PM
FOOOOOOOTBAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Remember that game these two played in [I think] Lou Holtz's first game at USC, during TS Dennis in Raleigh? The Gamecocks had that awesome Frosh TB whose name I forget. He went for like 200 yards, but they could score. Wolfies won 10-0.

Steve Superior's crew is favored by a couple TDs tonight.

Wolfies just intercepted at midfield.

Wander
08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
You know the announcers have been waiting for weeks to use that line about NC State's first defensive play being better than their first defensive play last year.

Also, most hilarious reason to get disciplined I've heard in a while: breaking into an off-limits fridge.

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Watching now, gotta pull for our in state neighbors. A few wins for them will make it sweeter for us when we beat 'em in Wallace Wade.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Another game on right now is Wake Forest at Baylor.

billybreen
08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
FOOOOOOOTBAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Remember that game these two played in [I think] Lou Holtz's first game at USC, during TS Dennis in Raleigh? The Gamecocks had that awesome Frosh TB whose name I forget. He went for like 200 yards, but they could score. Wolfies won 10-0.

Steve Superior's crew is favored by a couple TDs tonight.

Wolfies just intercepted at midfield.

I'm pumped. Have one tuner taping that and one Tivoing the DNC. Good times.

throatybeard
08-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Watching now, gotta pull for our in state neighbors. A few wins for them will make it sweeter for us when we beat 'em in Wallace Wade.

You mean, Duke and State are still in the same conference? Who knew?

Wander
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Someone please tell me I will never have to watch "Doctor Lou" again.

billybreen
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Someone please tell me I will never have to watch "Doctor Lou" again.

Word.

Olympic Fan
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I know that Gamecock fans are celebrating after that 34-0 victory, but I think I saw two pretty bad teams. They both may be decent on defense, but their offenses (and quarterbacks) were so awful it was hard to tell.

South Carolina won because the State offense made two crucial turnovers inside their own 15 yard line late in the first half and to open the second. That gave South Carolina a 10-0 cushion and took the pressure off an offense that was in meltdown. In the meantime, State's offense became increasingly more desperate ... and increasingly more inept. By the fourth quarter, their defense finally wore down (something we've seen here at Duke) and the Gamecocks poured it on.

But it's hard to imagine either of these teams doing very well this season. The good teams in the SEC are going to chew South Carolina's pitiful offensive line up. Spurrier doesn't have a QB and his receivers are a mediocre group. Davis looked like a solid back, but hardly a gamebreaker.

Maybe his defense is great -- that may be enough to get them in a minor bowl ... but that's about it.

I was switching back and fourth between State-SC (I refuse to use USC for that pale imitation of a football program) and Wake-Baylor. Masterful job by the Deacons against a less-than-impressive opponent (four wins last year and a new coach). Wake will be a contender in the ACC.

Stuck around to see the last part of Stanford-Oregon State -- the best game of the night. OSU made tons of mistakes in the last 10 minutes, but still had a chance in the final minute. Down 29-20, then drove inside the 20, but threw an INT. Getting the ball back, they threw an INT that was returned for a TD. Down 36-20, they drove for a TD with three minutes left and converted the two-point play. They got the ball back with two minutes left, down eight, and drove inside the 20. With a minute left, they hit a third down pass that the receiver carried down to the one ... but as he stretched for the goal, he lost the ball and it rolled out of the end zone for a touchback.

PS: I agree about Dr. Lou ... the next time I watch an ESPN telecast, I'll have the clicker in my hand.

roywhite
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Watched more of the Wake game than State/South Carolina. Wake is really solid...Riley Skinner is a high percentage passer, runs the offense very well, they've got good RB's and WR's, good OL, and a strong defense highlighted by a good secondary.

Wake looked like a legitimate top25 team. It's hard to realize how good Wake is, when you think of their history and supposed limitations (small fan base, good private academic school, no FB tradition to speak of, etc. etc). And yet they now win and go to bowl games.

No reason(!) Duke can not do the same.

Wander
08-29-2008, 11:14 AM
In the meantime, State's offense became increasingly more desperate ... and increasingly more inept. By the fourth quarter, their defense finally wore down (something we've seen here at Duke) and the Gamecocks poured it on.

I couldn't help but think that NCState looked exactly like recent Duke teams. A special mention must be made of their center, who handed South Carolina some points going into halftime instead of a scoreless tie, and then had another bad snap for a loss of 20 yards just when NCSU was getting some momentum to score while the game while still in reach.

Unrelated note... a Spurrier starting quarterback in the SEC playing against a weak NC State team goes 0 TDs and 4 interceptions with more talent around him is just another reminder how good Thad Lewis can be.

Devilsfan
08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Glad we chose Cut and the chose O'Brian.

GADevilFan
08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I thought that NC State looked dreadful......

hurleyfor3
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Also, most hilarious reason to get disciplined I've heard in a while: breaking into an off-limits fridge.

We have those in the office. They hold beverages for hosting clients (soft drinks only, silly). I live in fear of getting fired for drinking an illegal Coke.

DU82
08-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Glad we chose Cut and the chose O'Brian.

Give OBrien a chance. He has to correct years of no discipline from Amato, who learned the trick from Daddy Bowden.

He'll be fine until the wonderful Wolfpack faithful start ganging up on him because he's a fairly quiet, no-excitement guy and run him out of town and hire an old player who's more exciting (and a much worse coach.) Or maybe this time, they'll figure out they already had the lousy alumnus coach and get it right.

Nah.

hc5duke
08-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I live in fear of getting fired for drinking an illegal Coke.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=161
Mmm... forbidden coke

p.s. to make it more on-topic, I did watch the game delayed, and it was just awful to watch. I'm actually glad ESPN skipped through most of the game...

Duvall
08-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I have nothing to say about the game, but I have to say that the new NCSU commercial is pretty bad. Like, Duke commercial bad. The Autobahn of Innovation?

hc5duke
08-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I have nothing to say about the game, but I have to say that the new NCSU commercial is pretty bad. Like, Duke commercial bad. The Autobahn of Innovation?

Good call. I saw the same commercial, and for the first half of the commercial, I thought I was supposed to laugh at the guy, but it turns out he was being serious... He reminded me of the "PC" in "I'm a Mac" commercial and the "phone company rep" from Vonage commercials. Duke commercials (yes even the really bad ones) look a lot better in comparison IMO.

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Totally horrible game, from both teams. I was hoping it would keep me interested enough to watch the Obama's speech later on the web, no luck. Even watching the lead up speakers were a better use of my time then watching a team that threw 4 interceptions somehow win 34-0. Oh well, I don't like either of them anyways, so no biggie, just was hoping for better representation from the ACC. At least Wake and GT held up their own.

jimsumner
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
"Spurrier doesn't have a QB and his receivers are a mediocre group."

And who would have imagined that? Shouldn't Steve Spurrier of all people be able to recruit and develop throwers and catchers?

Lavabe
08-30-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm pumped. Have one tuner taping that and one Tivoing the DNC. Good times.

Please send 2535 and me copies of the State-SC game. It'll help with our sleep disorders.

Carlos
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
One reason to like the Gamecocks this year is that they can put a Smelley and Rank backfield in the game.

(Quarterback Chris Smelley and tailback Taylor Rank.)

billybreen
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Please send 2535 and me copies of the State-SC game. It'll help with our sleep disorders.

My Tivo was so bored it couldn't be bothered to save the game.

billybreen
08-30-2008, 12:09 PM
One reason to like the Gamecocks this year is that they can put a Smelley and Rank backfield in the game.

(Quarterback Chris Smelley and tailback Taylor Rank.)

That's stinkier than the Sweet Love lineup we could briefly have put on the court in 2001.

Devilsfan
08-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Their kicker (his surname is Sucup) must of inspired Chad Johnson.

hc5duke
08-30-2008, 05:34 PM
That's stinkier than the Sweet Love lineup we could briefly have put on the court in 2001.

Reminds me of a sign at the Duke-UNC football game around the same time... "What stinks? Curry and Pepper!"

budwom
08-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Did anyone catch the bit of amusing irony evident in the NC State-South Carolina game Thursday night?

Coach Steve didn't start his top running back because it turned out he'd broken into the training room fridge. He fessed up to it only after they looked at surveillance tape of the room. Bad Gamecock!

Just as they're telling this tale, they put up the graphic on the kid: height, weight, class, some stats.....and his major: Criminal Justice.

Maybe he hasn't taken Surveillance Techniques 101 yet.