PDA

View Full Version : More bad WBB news -- Yow's Wolfpack eliminated

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Despite a valiant effort and a ridiculous three off the glass late, the Wolfies fall to Connecticut. One can't help but wonder if it's the last time we'll see Kay Yow on live television. :(

Susan
03-24-2007, 11:04 PM
I know. It stinks that they couldn't pull it out. They were my one reason to keep watching the tournament. It would have been wonderful for Kay Yow.

I attended her basketball camp at NC State when I was in 8th grade-- all the way back in 1981! And a close friend and teammate from high school played for her at NC State while I attended Duke (and played only IM basketball...) So I tend to root for the Pack when they're not playing Duke. What an inspiration Kay Yow has been this season, and what a great influence she's been in women's basketball for so many years.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 11:11 PM
ESPN was on the ball. I don't think I've ever seen a post-game scenario in which they interview only the losing coach, and for like 3 minutes. She's talking about her freshmen for next year.

captmojo
03-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Three rousing cheers for Coach Yow! Never give up!

DukieInKansas
03-24-2007, 11:26 PM
They also named Kay player of the game. I hope she has time to work with her incoming Freshmen in the fall.

God bless you, Kay Yow.

allenmurray
03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Just about five years ago I lost my 44 year old sister to breast cancer. Like Yow, she thought she had it beat, only to have it return with a vengence years after she thought she was cancer free.

Unless you have watched someone go through that you can only imagine the heroicism that Yow has been displaying. I watched my sister get up and go to work (she was an elementary school teacher - a very physically and mentally demanding job) on mornings that she had no business getting out of bed - on mornings that her doctors told her to stay home - on mornings when she couldn't even eat a popsicle without vomiting - on mornings when she barely had the strength to walk to the car. I understood that she had no business trying to work. I also understood that she had no choice - the very thing that we thought was draining her of her strength was in fact keeping her alive. She loved it so much that she could not imagine staying home.

When Yow was named player of the game I began to cry. Like any 47 year old Dad I tired to hide it from my 12 year old son who was watching the game with me. When I turned to look at him he had his hands over his eyes and was looking at the floor. He was only 7 when my sister died. Over the past few months he has become a huge NC State women's basketball fan. He didn't understand what my sister's struggle and death meant to me at the time, but he has lived it with me over the last few weeks - we both know that is a big part of this experience for both of us.

I am a long time Duke women's basketball fan. Incredibly loyal, season ticket holder, the whole enchilada. If Duke had played NCSU in the tournament I would have been proudly wearing REd & White and rooting for the wolfies with all my might.

God Belss coach Yow. What this season has season has meant to so many people can never be measured on a scorebaord.

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Awesome post.