PDA

View Full Version : Opine on Shammrog's Fantasy Football Team

Shammrog
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Draft was last night. 12 Team league. Seeking commentary!

STARTERS

QB Marc Bulger STL
RB Ladainian Tomlinson SD
RB Ronnie Brown MIA
RB/WR Matt Forte CHI
WR Marques Colston NO
WR Marvin Harrison IND
TE Antonio Gates SD
DEF Dallas Cowboys
K Jason Hanson DET

RESERVES

QB Jeff Garcia TB
RB Chris Brown HOU
WR Reggie Brown PHI
WR Donte Stallworth CLE
WR Amani Toomer NYG
WR Javon Walker OAK

ugadevil
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
How's Gates doing with the foot injury? I'd heard a few weeks ago that he might miss the first part of the season.

2535Miles
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Solid picks from San Diego if Gates and LT can stay healthy. But what I really wanna know is your team name!

Shammrog
08-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Solid picks from San Diego if Gates and LT can stay healthy. But what I really wanna know is your team name!

Thanks. They are the "Pink Ponies." Double entendre - my daughter loves the color pink, and also loves ponies. The "Pink Pony" is also a well-known, ahem, ... "ballet" here in Atlanta. :D

Shammrog
08-27-2008, 04:57 PM
How's Gates doing with the foot injury? I'd heard a few weeks ago that he might miss the first part of the season.

From what I can gather, he is OK. Injured more last year, but is supposed to be alright now. Got him in like the 4th or 5th round, and he is the #1 TE on the board, so I think I got something of a steal.

ugadevil
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks. They are the "Pink Ponies." Double entendre - my daughter loves the color pink, and also loves ponies. The "Pink Pony" is also a well-known, ahem, ... "ballet" here in Atlanta. :D

Must be from the same director of "Cheetah Girls".:rolleyes:

I like the Reggie Brown pick at wide receiver. I'm really hoping he has a big year. There are a few really good tight ends this year and it'd be tough to go wrong with the top 3 or 4. Gates, Witten, Gonzalez, & Clark are all great TE's.

rockymtn devil
08-27-2008, 05:19 PM
QB is your weakness. Bulger is capable of putting up big numbers, but he's been in decline for several seasons now and the Rams spent the off-season re-tooling their defense. He may not have the weapons around him to put up big fantasy numbers. Same for Garcia--although he's a solid backup.

Your WRs/TE are pretty solid and should score well above average for those positions. Gates is due for a bounce-back season after having a mediocre fantasy season last year. I think behind Dallas Clark he's the best fantasy TE in the NFL.

I'd be on the lookout for a surprise RB pickup in the first few weeks of the season. Ronnie Brown can put up big numbers, but he'll be sharing carries with Ricky Williams. If they split evenly, he'll struggle to hit 1,000 yards (although if he's the red zone back he could pick up quite a few touchdowns, ala Maurice Jones-Drew two years ago).

Shammrog
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM
QB is your weakness. Bulger is capable of putting up big numbers, but he's been in decline for several seasons now and the Rams spent the off-season re-tooling their defense. He may not have the weapons around him to put up big fantasy numbers. Same for Garcia--although he's a solid backup.

Your WRs/TE are pretty solid and should score well above average for those positions. Gates is due for a bounce-back season after having a mediocre fantasy season last year. I think behind Dallas Clark he's the best fantasy TE in the NFL.

I'd be on the lookout for a surprise RB pickup in the first few weeks of the season. Ronnie Brown can put up big numbers, but he'll be sharing carries with Ricky Williams. If they split evenly, he'll struggle to hit 1,000 yards (although if he's the red zone back he could pick up quite a few touchdowns, ala Maurice Jones-Drew two years ago).

Thanks uga and rockymtn!

I am banking a bit on the Rams to bounce back towards the Rams of old this year. I got both Bulger and Garcia pretty late; so they were value picks. There was IMHO a big drop off in QB talent after the first two, and then again after the next 5 or so. So once it was clear I wasn't going to get in the top, I settled on a couple guys who are older and injury prone, but could still put up some good numbers.

Ronnie Brown may split with Ricky, but that's the norm in the NFL these days. I know a Parcells inspired-if-not coached team will like to run, esp. (no knock on him, just very limited) since they are going with Chad Pennington as a starter and Jake Long was a natural run blocker in college who they hope will eventually be a pass blocker in the NFL. Also, there is the issue of Ricky being more likely to smoke the grass on the field than run on it... :D

tbyers11
08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I agree with Rocky Mtn that QB1 is a weak spot. I am not sold that the Rams will be that great this year and Steven Jackson is going to shoulder a lot of the load. However, I might be biased b/c Bulger screwed me over last year:). Garcia is a very solid QB2 though.

I am not sold on Ronnie Brown having a great year either. Most RBs have a tough time their first year back from ACL surgery and he is likely to be splitting the carries with Ricky at least at the start.

I think Colston will have a monster year and Harrison should be solid. If Reggie Brown gets healthy he will be a very good WR3 especially with Kevin Curtis out for at least the first month.

If Gates's toe is good he should have a great year. With both Tomlinson and Gates you will be heavily dependent on the Chargers. Last year a team in my league had both and was boom or bust. With SD it is usually more boom, but those bust weeks can be rough

Love the name too. As an Atlanta resident from 2000-2006, I attended that "ballet" once or twice.

2535Miles
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Rad. When you win the Super Bowl, may I suggest a super bowl celebration party at the Pink Pony?

From what I can gather, he is OK. Injured more last year, but is supposed to be alright now. Got him in like the 4th or 5th round, and he is the #1 TE on the board, so I think I got something of a steal.
Definite steal. Gates and LT are the cornerstones of that offense, they should see plenty of action.

rockymtn devil
08-27-2008, 11:11 PM
While we're discussing FF Teams, I just drafted mine tonight.

Thoughts?

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Clinton Portis
RB: Jamal Lewis
WR: Plaxico Burress
WR: Wes Welker
W/R: Michael Turner
TE: Tony Sheffler
K: Josh Brown
D/ST: Green Bay

Bench:
QB: Derek Anderson (8th Round steal!)
RB: Justin Fargas
RB: Ladell Betts
WR: Chris Chambers
WR: Patrick Crayton

Shammrog
08-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Thoughts?

Bench:

I like your draft. There is some uncertainty about Roethlisburger - a good QB, to be sure - in the second tier (4th to about 9th among QBs). The question mark there is how will the numbers stack up. Love the RBs. Jamal Lewis, as highly rates as he is, is somewhat of a sleeper in the sense that a lot of people don't seem to remember how good he has been recently - and the potential to be so again.

Wes Welker - had him last year, and he probably more than any one player helped make my season (I won it all!). The question with him - as with Derek Anderson - is can they duplicate their breakout years of last year, or will they have a sophomore slump. I am gathering the former, in which case Anderson really was a huge coup. He could wind up being your starter.

Like Fargas on bench - Raiders run a lot and McFadden won't do all of it. Also like Crayton as a sleeper who could put up some numbers. Lukewarm at best on Betts - he burned me bad two years ago! Crayton is a good backup receiver, but might not get big numbers in Dallas with so many other targets there. Good luck!

rockymtn devil
08-28-2008, 10:54 AM
I like your draft. There is some uncertainty about Roethlisburger - a good QB, to be sure - in the second tier (4th to about 9th among QBs). The question mark there is how will the numbers stack up. Love the RBs. Jamal Lewis, as highly rates as he is, is somewhat of a sleeper in the sense that a lot of people don't seem to remember how good he has been recently - and the potential to be so again.

Wes Welker - had him last year, and he probably more than any one player helped make my season (I won it all!). The question with him - as with Derek Anderson - is can they duplicate their breakout years of last year, or will they have a sophomore slump. I am gathering the former, in which case Anderson really was a huge coup. He could wind up being your starter.

Like Fargas on bench - Raiders run a lot and McFadden won't do all of it. Also like Crayton as a sleeper who could put up some numbers. Lukewarm at best on Betts - he burned me bad two years ago! Crayton is a good backup receiver, but might not get big numbers in Dallas with so many other targets there. Good luck!

Good assessment. I always go RB, RB, QB and Big Ben and Anderson were the best left on the board in the 3rd round. As a Steeler fan, I couldn't take a Brown over a Steeler, so I went with Roethlisberger. When Anderson was still there in round 8, I had to take him. One of those two should have a solid season. I'd say Ben's success rests on the O-Line, but that line was terrible last year and he had a great year.

I expect Welker's numbers to drop off and see WR as my weakness. Crayton is a sleeper and I got him late. RBs should be a strength. Portis doesn't put up huge numbers, but he's good for 1,400 yards and 10+ TDs. Jamal Lewis is the feature back in an offense that should put up big numbers. And Michael Turner might be the Falcons offense.

Fargas and Betts were late round picks (Rounds 10 and 11) and Betts is solely to handcuff Cliton Portis. I wanted some security for my top pick in case he goes down.

SupaDave
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Good assessment. I always go RB, RB, QB and Big Ben and Anderson were the best left on the board in the 3rd round. As a Steeler fan, I couldn't take a Brown over a Steeler, so I went with Roethlisberger. When Anderson was still there in round 8, I had to take him. One of those two should have a solid season. I'd say Ben's success rests on the O-Line, but that line was terrible last year and he had a great year.

I expect Welker's numbers to drop off and see WR as my weakness. Crayton is a sleeper and I got him late. RBs should be a strength. Portis doesn't put up huge numbers, but he's good for 1,400 yards and 10+ TDs. Jamal Lewis is the feature back in an offense that should put up big numbers. And Michael Turner might be the Falcons offense.

Fargas and Betts were late round picks (Rounds 10 and 11) and Betts is solely to handcuff Cliton Portis. I wanted some security for my top pick in case he goes down.

I expect Welker's numbers to go up this year. Most definitely his TDs. New Englands WRs are actually really close to healthy this year.

GopherBlue
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
OK, so here's mine . . .

Starters
QB - Drew Brees
RB - LaDanian Tomlinson
RB - Edgerrin James
RB - LenDale White
WR - Braylon Edwards
WR - Chad Johnson
TE - Tony Gonzalez
D - Colts
K - Matt Stover

Reserves
Chester Taylor (RB)
Tony Sheffler (TE)
Chris Chambers (WR)
Anthony Gonzalez (WR)
Jake Delhomme (QB)
Rashard Mendenhall (RB)
Kevin Jones (RB)

Fire away!

SupaDave
08-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Draft was last night. 12 Team league. Seeking commentary!

STARTERS

QB Marc Bulger STL
RB Ladainian Tomlinson SD
RB Ronnie Brown MIA
RB/WR Matt Forte CHI
WR Marques Colston NO
WR Marvin Harrison IND
TE Antonio Gates SD
DEF Dallas Cowboys
K Jason Hanson DET

RESERVES

QB Jeff Garcia TB
RB Chris Brown HOU
WR Reggie Brown PHI
WR Donte Stallworth CLE
WR Amani Toomer NYG
WR Javon Walker OAK

I've already had one draft and I have another tonight. I'm a NUT.

Anyway, it looks like you had the first pick and that usually puts you in your line-up situation. If you were in my league - you'd be a "pretender".

YOU need to get Sproles IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Bulger's line is STILL horrible and Jackson hasn't played a minute. Not a good sign for his blocking potential especially with a shoulder injury already.

VERY solid RB and WR situation (mostly bc of LT). Colston's a stud and Harrison should be back to martian status.

Forte is a BIG 'what if?' but if he pays off then it was probably a GREAT pick.

Garcia went from throwing no interceptions to handing the ball off to DBs...

Stallworth - can you say 'hammy'?

Reggie Brown - you do realize he plays for the Eagles right? And other than T.O. - what has an Eagles WR done?

Chris Brown isn't a bad pick but he hasn't done jack.

I like Amani Toomer and Javon Walker if they were late picks. Toomer more than Walker b/c Walker's QB situation is very much in question. Not to mention the Raiders have 4 RBs raring to go...

Defenses and kickers are a dime a dozen. You just need to play the match-ups with that... The Giants Def wasn't even drafted in a lot of leagues last year...

You've got potential but I would work on getting a back-up QB and Sproles for certain. Don't know what's on your wire but I'm sure you can find another back. You need to target someone who doesn't have HIS own back-up and set something up for a potential trade. It's parking on a roster spot but could pay off big (Larry Johnson won me a championship doing that very thing).

SupaDave
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
OK, so here's mine . . .

Starters
QB - Drew Brees
RB - LaDanian Tomlinson
RB - Edgerrin James
RB - LenDale White
WR - Braylon Edwards
WR - Chad Johnson
TE - Tony Gonzalez
D - Colts
K - Matt Stover

Reserves
Chester Taylor (RB)
Tony Sheffler (TE)
Chris Chambers (WR)
Anthony Gonzalez (WR)
Jake Delhomme (QB)
Rashard Mendenhall (RB)
Kevin Jones (RB)

Fire away!

Very solid roster. Sheffler is a sleepr. Chambers should be dropped for Ginn Jr.

Mendenhall has got the fumbles right now but he'll be fine. Kevin Jones might not see the ball.

Otherwise - you've got a team built for the playoffs with room for improvement.

SupaDave
08-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Thoughts?

Bench:

Not bad but your injury situation bothers me. ALL of those folks are a bit fragile. Good job getting Betts.

Jury's still out on Turner. He's never had beginning of the game pounding on a regular basis.

Shammrog
08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Supa! I am hurt; no comment on my team??? Even for a fellow Atlantan??? :(

(Will comment later on the team above.)

rockymtn devil
08-28-2008, 01:48 PM

(Will comment later on the team above.)

Being kinda greedy Shamm. See post #16.

rockymtn devil
08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
OK, so here's mine . . .

Starters
QB - Drew Brees
RB - LaDanian Tomlinson
RB - Edgerrin James
RB - LenDale White
WR - Braylon Edwards
WR - Chad Johnson
TE - Tony Gonzalez
D - Colts
K - Matt Stover

Reserves
Chester Taylor (RB)
Tony Sheffler (TE)
Chris Chambers (WR)
Anthony Gonzalez (WR)
Jake Delhomme (QB)
Rashard Mendenhall (RB)
Kevin Jones (RB)

Fire away!

Your starting lineup is top notch. You have 3 players that should be top-5 performers at their position (LT, Brees, Edwards). I'll also speculate that by mid-season Sheffler will be your starter. If Jay Cutler continues to advance, Sheffler is set to have a big year.

GopherBlue
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Your starting lineup is top notch. You have 3 players that should be top-5 performers at their position (LT, Brees, Edwards). I'll also speculate that by mid-season Sheffler will be your starter. If Jay Cutler continues to advance, Sheffler is set to have a big year.

Yeah, I am thinking the same about Sheffler. I may dangle Tony Gonzalez as trade bait to add more depth at RB/WR.

K Stover may break me ;-)

ugadevil
08-28-2008, 02:33 PM

He commented. He pretty much said your team stinks! :eek:

Shammrog
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM

I know, I know. I missed it. I was drunk.

SupaDave
08-28-2008, 03:00 PM

LOL! No no! He's got a great starting point!

That #1 pick can be a curse a lot of the time b/c in a snake draft you don't get to draft for another 20 or so picks!

Sham - your coaching skills will be put to the test this year.

Just remember to protect your assets. The loss of LT would CRIPPLE your team and you don't have anything to offset the bye weeks either.

Trust me - if I EVER see Stephen Jackson we're gonna have a serious talk about groin injuries and blogging for fantasy sites when you should be rehabbing!