PDA

View Full Version : Request From Coach Cutcliffe

jimsumner
08-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Duke wants a "blue-out" Saturday night. Wear your Duke blue. If you don't have any, there are some nice folks at concessions who can help you out.

blazindw
08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
For those on Facebook, I created an event for this:

http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=31017186638

Join in, spread the word to your friends. No matter where you are, even if you're not attending the game, even if you're 1000 miles away, let's get all Duke fans to wear Duke Blue on Saturday in support of the new era of Duke Football!

Acymetric
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know where to find a good solid blue golf tee? It would need to have a pocket, which is why the ones available from the student store won't work. This isn't for me, I'll be sporting my standard Duke tee.

bigj4194
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know where to find a good solid blue golf tee? It would need to have a pocket, which is why the ones available from the student store won't work. This isn't for me, I'll be sporting my standard Duke tee.

you might check the duck shop on 9th street...it may have some polos that match what you want

Acymetric
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
you might check the duck shop on 9th street...it may have some polos that match what you want

May have to check it out. As a sidenote, I was out today and saw a Duke jersey with a 9 on it, which I think is about a year late at this point. Unfortunately, not the new style uniform. But oh well.

By the way, another request of Cutcliffe is that people be there for the "Blue Devil's Walk." I'm not sure of the specifics of where it runs through campus, but it is supposed to start at 4:30. Anybody out tailgating try to wander over around this time to cheer them on as they head toward the stadium. He also said he'd love to have people in the stands for warm ups!

Also, check out this interview with Coach on WRAL.

http://www.wral.com/sports/999.../audio/3427337/

bdh21
08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I'll be at the UVA/USC game this saturday. I'm not going to wear Duke gear, mostly because I don't want drunken wahoos splashing beer on my Duke gear. But I'll be wearing some sort of Duke blue for sure!

Go Duke, beat the Dukes!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
By the way, another request of Cutcliffe is that people be there for the "Blue Devil's Walk." I'm not sure of the specifics of where it runs through campus, but it is supposed to start at 4:30.

The team - coaches, players, managers, everyone - walks from the Chapel to their locker room, walking down the main quad to the Card Gym parking lot and between Card and Cameron. They did this for the spring game and I, along with about 200 other fans, walked with them.

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
What is the student outlook for the game? I really hope to see as many students as possible this year. And what a great way to spend a Saturday night, outside watching the revival of Duke football!

bigj4194
08-27-2008, 10:36 AM
What is the student outlook for the game? I really hope to see as many students as possible this year. And what a great way to spend a Saturday night, outside watching the revival of Duke football!

I personally am very excited for this year, but i don't know what other students thing...i think that some are optimistic but not all

watzone
08-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I personally am very excited for this year, but i don't know what other students thing...i think that some are optimistic but not all

It will take time to build! There is a culture among "some" current students that it's uncool to go to a football game and way cool to be fashionably late if you do. Wait a minuite! Fashionably late applies to regular ticket holders too. All too often I've seen fans want to get in just in time to see the kickoff.

That's why some of the players assisted freshman moving in. They want to get it in new students minds that football is a great experience.

There was a day when students had a blast at home games. And the fact that they have been moved back to the "true" home side is where it all started.

I know the fans will appreciate the students being to their left, which should lead to some better cheering provided the football team does their part.

At this point, I will take some students being optimistic. DFB is a work in progress both on and off the field. I hope fans and students alike take action and more importantly enjoy thermselves. Let's make being late to the game a thing of the past.

Cavlaw
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
It will take time to build! There is a culture among "some" current students that it's uncool to go to a football game and way cool to be fashionably late if you do.

Ugh, next thing you know they'll be wearing ties and sun dresses to the games!

Indoor66
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM

It would beat the heck out of some of the slop some wear! :mad:

bigj4194
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I know the fans will appreciate the students being to their left, which should lead to some better cheering provided the football team does their part.

At this point, I will take some students being optimistic. DFB is a work in progress both on and off the field. I hope fans and students alike take action and more importantly enjoy thermselves. Let's make being late to the game a thing of the past.

I completely agree watzone...I am very optimistic and am going to be early to the game as Coach Cutcliffe has asked everyone, especially students, be there 30 minutes early to root the team on.

Gunnar Kaufman
08-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I completely agree watzone...I am very optimistic and am going to be early to the game as Coach Cutcliffe has asked everyone, especially students, be there 30 minutes early to root the team on.

With wins will come better student attendance, and better student attendance will contribute to more wins.

One would imagine that the freshmen and sophomores, in particular, will come out in good numbers to the JMU game. If it goes well, they'll come back for week 2. If not, it will be interesting to see how students react.

One firmly hopes, however, that tailgating doesn't trump the game anymore in terms of student interest. I'm afraid this will require enough interest to be created by the games themselves.

riverside6
08-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Well, just got my family pack of season tickets, and am completely bummed I can't go on Saturday! I'll make sure my tickets have a nice home though, go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
It will take time to build! There is a culture among "some" current students that it's uncool to go to a football game and way cool to be fashionably late if you do. Wait a minuite! Fashionably late applies to regular ticket holders too. All too often I've seen fans want to get in just in time to see the kickoff.

That's why some of the players assisted freshman moving in. They want to get it in new students minds that football is a great experience.

There was a day when students had a blast at home games. And the fact that they have been moved back to the "true" home side is where it all started.

I have wonderful memories of great times when we had a home game. Other alums on this board have joined in sharing what it was like to rush from Saturday classes, have a quick lunch and get dressed up for the 2P games. Going to a home football game was a major social as well as athletic event.

Since the student sections are now next to the rest of us, it's time to reintroduce FOOTBALL CHEERS to use instead of recycled basketball cheers.

ugadevil
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
One firmly hopes, however, that tailgating doesn't trump the game anymore in terms of student interest. I'm afraid this will require enough interest to be created by the games themselves.

I hope that Coach Cut knows how to deal with that kind of environment. He's certainly had some experience dealing with the tailgating culture at Ole' Miss, which is the classic example of the tailgate being more important than the game.

Gunnar Kaufman
08-27-2008, 02:39 PM
I hope that Coach Cut knows how to deal with that kind of environment. He's certainly had some experience dealing with the tailgating culture at Ole' Miss, which is the classic example of the tailgate being more important than the game.

Not gonna lie...had I been an undergrad at Ole Miss, I would have spent every waking social hour with the co-eds, as well.

PumpkinFunk
08-27-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm obviously going to the game, but it seems like people are, at the least, a lot more excited than last year. This is a game that is the expected win. If we win it, I think that Northwestern and Navy are going to be a lot better - even with the Noon game time for Navy. As far as I've seen, there's no big parties scheduled for Saturday, and the night game time will keep people from just sleeping in due to a hangover.

The real trick is Coach Cut getting people from tailgate to the game - I think freshman are going to be the most eager to come, but it'll be interesting to see if juniors and seniors show - 1 home win for 09 and 0 for 2010. I'm hoping a lot of people show and make it more fun, drunk or not.

willywoody
08-27-2008, 04:46 PM

j crew

Johnboy
08-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Did someone say sun dresses?

http://drinkydrink.com/sundress.gif

jimsumner
08-27-2008, 05:45 PM
"This is a game that is the expected win."

Not really. James Madison is a very good I-AA team and very good I-AA teams have a history of playing ACC teams very tough. JMU had App. State on the ropes last season and would have beaten them had they not coughed it up at the goal line at the end of the game.

No one should go to the game Saturday with the expectation that this is going to be a walkover.

devildeac
08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
"This is a game that is the expected win."

Not really. James Madison is a very good I-AA team and very good I-AA teams have a history of playing ACC teams very tough. JMU had App. State on the ropes last season and would have beaten them had they not coughed it up at the goal line at the end of the game.

No one should go to the game Saturday with the expectation that this is going to be a walkover.

To further support this, IIRC, JMU is ranked in the top 5 (top 3?) of the I-AA teams pre-season. This will be a difficult game.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
To further support this, IIRC, JMU is ranked in the top 5 (top 3?) of the I-AA teams pre-season. This will be a difficult game.

True, and all the sweeter to win!

Those goal posts? They are history about 10:15 Saturday night!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-27-2008, 08:29 PM
True, and all the sweeter to win!

Those goal posts? They are history about 10:15 Saturday night!
If student attendance is low, you and I can help pull them down! Who else will help?

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2008, 08:34 PM
If student attendance is low, you and I can help pull them down! Who else will help?

If we win, I hope the posts stay standing. I could see the anticipation, but lets save them for our first ACC win at least. Or better yet, UNC!

PumpkinFunk
08-27-2008, 08:59 PM
If we win, I hope the posts stay standing. I could see the anticipation, but lets save them for our first ACC win at least. Or better yet, UNC!

Coach Cut said the goalposts are staying up until we beat UNC. "When" we beat them was how he put it.

This was... last Thursday at New Devils Night for the Freshmen. You should've heard the way he screamed 9F.

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Coach Cut said the goalposts are staying up until we beat UNC. "When" we beat them was how he put it.

This was... last Thursday at New Devils Night for the Freshmen. You should've heard the way he screamed 9F.

Good to hear and I'd have loved to listen to him! That's great.

DukePA
08-27-2008, 09:25 PM

OMG! That is so freaking awesome!! I almost started screaming GTHC, but then I remembered that my guy (who is sitting on the couch) is a tarheel :(. Dang, life is tough sometimes :eek: Ugghhhhh. I hate carolina!

duketaylor
08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Ozzie will love to hear that about Coach Cut, the 9F, I mean;)