PDA

View Full Version : Would You Rather ?

NYC Duke Fan
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Win the NIT or lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament ?

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
In a given year: Win the NIT, no doubt. Mississippi State is in the NIT FF and the campus is abuzz here. That wouldn't happen with a first round NCAAT exit. People are going to NYC.

An exception, over a long period of time: if it was the one weak year that kept a long streak of NCAAT appearances alive, the 1R loss in the NCAAT would be preferable. Like say we make 15 consecutive NCAAT appearances after this year. Add that plus the previous 11 to 2007, and you've got yourself quite a nice record that's probably better than an NIT championship.

I'll tell you what would suck. Finishing 3rd in the NIT. Especially if you had to hang a banner for it.

hurleyfor3
03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
think about college basketball or something else right now?

I've spent the day working out my summer travel plans. What days I want to take off, what mountain I want to be on top of on the fourth of july, that kind of thing. See you in the fall, everyone... maybe.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Hurley, we need you on retainer as designated smartass. I need some protection in the batting order here. C'mon.

hurleyfor3
03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I guess you can E-mail me through the boards. Think of it as a bat signal.

dukie8
03-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Win the NIT or lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament ?

lose first round of the ncaa. the nit is a joke and merely a creation of the ncaa to generate more money with a bunch of mediocre teams that couldn't make the real pre-season. it's like getting cut from the varsity team and then being the leading scorer on your im team. no thanks.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
The NIT is an older tournament than the NCAAT, Dukie8.

dukie8
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
The NIT is an older tournament than the NCAAT, Dukie8.

i wasn't aware that age had anything to do with prestige or quality. elon is older than u chicago. what's a better undergrad?

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 09:45 PM
i wasn't aware that age had anything to do with prestige or quality. elon is older than u chicago. what's a better undergrad?

I never said anything about prestige or quality. But you said:

the nit is a joke and merely a creation of the ncaa to generate more money

If the NIT predates the NCAAT, which started in the 1940s, explain to me how the former is "a creation" of the latter "to generate more money."

According to Wiki:

Originated by the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association in 1938, responsibility for administering the NIT was transferred two years later to local colleges, first known as the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Committee and in 1948, as the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Association (MIBA), which comprised representatives from the five New York City schools: Fordham University, Manhattan College, New York University, St. John's University and Wagner College.

rthomas
03-24-2007, 09:51 PM
NIT wasn't created by the NCAA, you young whippersnapper. It is not about money. It's about playing and WVU is stil playing. Pitt ain't playing/ Louisvill ain't playing. WVU is.

Hey, Throaty, it's me against you, baby!

hurleyfor3
03-24-2007, 09:57 PM
It's gotten so bad here we're now having heated arguments over the Nit.

HK Dukie
03-24-2007, 09:57 PM
oh yeah throaty?

check that Wiki entry in two minutes, wheeeeeeeee!

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
NIT wasn't created by the NCAA, you young whippersnapper. It is not about money. It's about playing and WVU is stil playing. Pitt ain't playing/ Louisvill ain't playing. WVU is.

Hey, Throaty, it's me against you, baby!

I like y'all too. :)

My friend, who's an assoc Dean, accidentally got under the President's skin. (Background for those not associated with MSU or WVU: MSU's new president is a four-star Air Force general. But all three of his degrees are from WVU and he's from Mingo County. WVU is searching for a Chancellor/President). Forgetting the persistent rumors that our guy is trying to quell those rumors, my friend says to him, "wow, all three of your schools are in the NIT final four! Who are you gonna root for?" (MSU, WVU, USAFA).

dukie8
03-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I never said anything about prestige or quality. But you said:

If the NIT predates the NCAAT, which started in the 1940s, explain to me how the former is "a creation" of the latter "to generate more money."

(1) the nit was created in 1938 and the ncaat was created in 1939 (not the 1940s).
(2) i didn't say that the ncaa tournament created the nit. i said the ncaa created, which technically is not correct -- the nbwa actually created it.
(3) whether something predates something else is irrelevent with respect to why it was created. original coke predated new coke but the coca cola company created it to generate more money. this isn't rocket sciene.
(4) i should have been more precise in my haste and said that the ncaa continues running the nit, which is a complete joke, so it can generate more money despite the fact that it makes no sense to have a separate tournament for the really mediocre teams to determine which team is the best mediocre one. i'll take a heartbreaking loss to vcu in the first round of the ncaas any year over playing in that racket.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
(3) whether something predates something else is irrelevent with respect to why it was created. original coke predated new coke but the coca cola company created it to generate more money. this isn't rocket sciene.

No, it sure isn't rocket science. The Coca-cola company is one entity. The NCAA and the NIT were two separate entities. So how could the NCAA have created the NIT to make money, when the NIT existed before the NCAA?

dukie8
03-24-2007, 10:18 PM
No, it sure isn't rocket science. The Coca-cola company is one entity. The NCAA and the NIT were two separate entities. So how could the NCAA have created the NIT to make money, when the NIT existed before the NCAA?

the ncaa was created in 1910 so i'm not sure what you are getting by claiming that the nit was created before the ncaa (from wiki):

Its predecessor, the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States (IAAUS), was established on March 31, 1906 to set rules for amateur sports in the United States. Its creation was urged by then-president Theodore Roosevelt in reaction to his concern over the growing amount of serious injuries and deaths occurring in collegiate football. The IAAUS later became the National Collegiate Athletic Association in 1910.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm talking about the tournaments.

We now have a citation saying that the NCAA did not create the National Invitation Tournament. They created the NCAAT but not the NIT. So how could they have created the NIT to make money?

dukie8
03-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm talking about the tournaments.

We now have a citation saying that the NCAA did not create the National Invitation Tournament. They created the NCAAT but not the NIT. So how could they have created the NIT to make money?

do you even read what i write?

(2) i didn't say that the ncaa tournament created the nit. i said the ncaa created, which technically is not correct -- the nbwa actually created it.

do you want me to continue asking you how the nit predates the ncaa?

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
do you even read what i write?

I sure do. You said, and I quote:

the nit is a joke and merely a creation of the ncaa to generate more money

dukie8
03-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I sure do. You said, and I quote:

and then i followed it up with:

you clearly either don't read it or don't process it. so how did the nit predate the ncaa even though it was created after it? i am confused by what you wrote here:

So how could the NCAA have created the NIT to make money, when the NIT existed before the NCAA?

captmojo
03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
The NCAA now runs the NIT. It used to be considered the prestige tournament. Benny Goodman used to be considered the top dog in the music world.

If it wasn't about money then the NCAA would not be up to 65 schools in this thing. With all the whining and moaning over who got in and who didn't, maybe they should go back to the old days and only allow one conference representative. Start the tournament at conference level and that way everybody's in. NAH I'd rather have my chances at the top glory.

JStuart
03-25-2007, 09:02 AM
So, where does the Helms' Foundation fit into all this, if we're really going to go off the reservation?
JStuart, about as bummed out on college athletics as he's ever been...