08-24-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.bnd.com/508/story/445914.html

Great piece on Coach Krzyzewski

grossbus
08-24-2008, 01:41 PM
good link, thanks.

roywhite
08-24-2008, 02:16 PM
As great as this triumph was, it won't be that long (2010) until there is another FIBA World Championship. It'll be interesting to see who coaches the USA team (we know it won't be Coach K) and who among the Olympic team agrees to play for that team.

The US will be strong, but we saw the ability of Argentina and Spain also.

Edouble
08-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Wow, it's like the whole country has the chance to experience the thrills that Duke fans have known for years.

bigj4194
08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the link! great article about K...very proud of the way that he coached the team the past three years.

Verga3
08-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow, it's like the whole country has the chance to experience the thrills that Duke fans have known for years.

Amen!

And great link, gotham devil. Thank you!

dukelifer
08-24-2008, 03:17 PM
thanks for the link! great article about K...very proud of the way that he coached the team the past three years.

This was a huge moment for Coach K. He has had success like no other- but today's win was very, very important to him. When you get linked to one thing- in this case Duke basketball- for most of your life- you sometimes wonder if you are capable of doing anything else. Because he has questioned himself, K has been tempted by the NBA- something different- a new test of his abilities. But while tempted, his love of college ball and the place he built was too strong. This opportunity gave him a chance to do something- using K's favorite word- special. He was asked to rebuild USA basketball- show it could compete with the best teams- win a gold medal and then go back to his first love. This was too tempting- too important to pass up. But he soon found it wasn't going to be easy. He took his knocks- losing to Greece in the World championships- but he made adjustments and found a way to get these guys to believe in something bigger than themselves. These players were genuinely proud of what they accomplished as a team. Sure they won today by relying on their strengths- great one on one play- but the whole tourney was marked with stellar team D and unselfish play. But championships are often about great players rising to the moment. Great team play, however, is needed to get you in position to do that. This group all bought what K's was selling and they brought home a championship and some respect. This was a big moment for USA basketball and it won't get repeated until USA basketball falters again- which it could do next world championship when a new crop of guys need to come together. But if it does they may come knocking on K's door once again. But right now- K is on top of the basketball world and even the most passionate Coach K critics have to give him his due.

devildeac
08-24-2008, 04:18 PM
This was a huge moment for Coach K. He has had success like no other- but today's win was very, very important to him. When you get linked to one thing- in this case Duke basketball- for most of your life- you sometimes wonder if you are capable of doing anything else. Because he has questioned himself, K has been tempted by the NBA- something different- a new test of his abilities. But while tempted, his love of college ball and the place he built was too strong. This opportunity gave him a chance to do something- using K's favorite word- special. He was asked to rebuild USA basketball- show it could compete with the best teams- win a gold medal and then go back to his first love. This was too tempting- too important to pass up. But he soon found it wasn't going to be easy. He took his knocks- losing to Greece in the World championships- but he made adjustments and found a way to get these guys to believe in something bigger than themselves. These players were genuinely proud of what they accomplished as a team. Sure they won today by relying on their strengths- great one on one play- but the whole tourney was marked with stellar team D and unselfish play. But championships are often about great players rising to the moment. Great team play, however, is needed to get you in position to do that. This group all bought what K's was selling and they brought home a championship and some respect. This was a big moment for USA basketball and it won't get repeated until USA basketball falters again- which it could do next world championship when a new crop of guys need to come together. But if it does they may come knocking on K's door once again. But right now- K is on top of the basketball world and even the most passionate Coach K critics have to give him his due.

Great summary. Thanks for taking the time to compose, edit and post this. I feel certain many here share those exact thoughts.

cspan37421
08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
yes - that post was ... special.

Seriously, I totally agree. I think he's always wanted to see if he could put together a championship team of NBA guys, and he's now found that out without ever having left Duke. There aren't many who are afforded such an opportunity, let alone to do so while representing your country in such a positive way.

John Cox
08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I know that this is off topic, but does anyone know where I could order a team poster, or at least an 8x10 photo of the team?

Papa John
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.bnd.com/508/story/445914.html

Great piece on Coach Krzyzewski

Wow! Another article by a UNC J-school grad gushing with praise for Coach K... Someone go up to Chapel Hill and check the thermometer--I'm beginning to wonder if hell hath frozen over... ;)

dkbaseball
08-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I think he's always wanted to see if he could put together a championship team of NBA guys, and he's now found that out without ever having left Duke.

I think the jury's very much out on whether K-syle full throttle pressure defense would work over the course of an NBA season. With this team he had the luxury of sending them in in waves, and over an eight game schedule they could afford not to hold anything back. And whether K is taking his Duke teams' legs away from them at the end of the season is still an open question in my mind.

But damn, is he ever a leader of men. I know they selected the players carefully for good character, but that doesn't guarantee they will come together as a tight team, which they clearly did. I was really proud of the way those guys represented this country, on and off the floor. And of K.

fitimi1
08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree and would only add that "my personal highlight" was when the entire team placed their medal around his neck. That said more than any words any of the players could utter.

I also think that the selection of these players was key. In my opinion, the "face" this group of players presented to the world, not just on the court, but off the court, will be a legacy of which we all can be proud.

As for whether this style would work in the NBA, the answer is probably not as it is a different game with different rules. Having said that, I understand that the rules are being changed on both sides to make it a more similar game. In that case, it might work with a team with this type of talent. Without a deep bench, I doubt it as the "back-to-back" games would tire them out after the first half of the season.

miramar
08-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Goduke.com has wasted no time in congratulating all of Duke's Olympians, including Carlos Boozer and Coach K. Their photos are up, including Coach K with all the medals. That was a classy response by the team, and I am sure that we will see that photo for a while, which is certainly appropriate.

http://www.goduke.com/

ice-9
08-25-2008, 02:59 AM
I agree and would only add that "my personal highlight" was when the entire team placed their medal around his neck. That said more than any words any of the players could utter.

to be fair though I read somewhere that the players did that for all the others in the program...Colangelo, McMillan, Boheim, etc. so Coach K wasn't singled out for the honor. Still though, a thoughtful and appreciative gesture by the players.

gumbomoop
08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
As have several others, I think Dukelifer's post was particularly insightful. It will be interesting to see whether the truly, truly "most passionate Coach K critics" will actually "give him his due," in spite of the fact that of course they should "have to." I'm pretty sure that some "expert writers" will come close, at least, to eating some crow.

For that matter, as one who expressed great concern about the lackadaisical effort in the exhibition v. Australia (plus Howard's free throw problems and feast-or-famine defense), maybe I should eat some crow, too.

Anyhow, to test the idea that the truly most passionate Duke/K-haters must recant, if only temporarily, I invite you to stroll over to some of the Inside Carolina boards. Indeed, a bit skeptical of that last line in Dukelifer's post, what amazes me is that there are a few folks over there who actually do credit K for a great job. But mostly among these most "passionate critics" there's the distinct smell of....."Crap, now we gotta put up with the Duke-loving media's [!!!] praise for K's win, implicitly contrasted with Brown and Karl's failures."

Just take a gander at those boards. You can follow your nose. Pun intended.

Devilsfan
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I think Coach K and his immediate staff did a terrific job of getting so many all stars to play together as one. Just one question however: Was it Wojo or Collins that taught Howard how to shoot free throws?

billybreen
08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
They are currently running an interesting poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3610) at ESPN comparing the 2008 and 1992 teams. As one would expect, the 1992 team is preferred at every position on the court, but Coach K is _trouncing_ Daly. He's the only element of the 2008 team preferred over the 1992 team.

DukieInKansas
08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
As have several others, I think Dukelifer's post was particularly insightful. It will be interesting to see whether the truly, truly "most passionate Coach K critics" will actually "give him his due," in spite of the fact that of course they should "have to." I'm pretty sure that some "expert writers" will come close, at least, to eating some crow.

For that matter, as one who expressed great concern about the lackadaisical effort in the exhibition v. Australia (plus Howard's free throw problems and feast-or-famine defense), maybe I should eat some crow, too.

Anyhow, to test the idea that the truly most passionate Duke/K-haters must recant, if only temporarily, I invite you to stroll over to some of the Inside Carolina boards. Indeed, a bit skeptical of that last line in Dukelifer's post, what amazes me is that there are a few folks over there who actually do credit K for a great job. But mostly among these most "passionate critics" there's the distinct smell of....."Crap, now we gotta put up with the Duke-loving media's [!!!] praise for K's win, implicitly contrasted with Brown and Karl's failures."

Just take a gander at those boards. You can follow your nose. Pun intended.

At your suggestion, I did venture over there. It was pretty funny. I felt bad for those that were trying to give Coach K some credit - they were definitely in the minority. I enjoyed their discussion about whether Roy should or shouldn't coach in 2012. One comment was to the effect that he should coach if they win 2-3 championships before then. I hope that individual isn't holding their breath. :) (I wasn't reading DBR when Coach K took the USA basketball job 3 years ago, so the same discussion may have taken place here.)