PDA

View Full Version : It's Gold

dukeimac
08-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Just finished!

USA and Coach K

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:26 AM
I was hoping for a nice 20 point lead going into the 4th quarter. I was on pins and needles the whole time...

devildownunder
08-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Golden once again! Well done all!

Now, we as fans need to show everyone involved how much we appreciate the effort. We expect USA Basketball to produce the best for us and it's our job to reward them when they do, so that all players and coaches, present and future, see that their hard work and sacrifice will be rewarded.

GOLD! GOLD! GOLD! YESSSSSSS!

weezie
08-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Led the the "always classy" Coach K. Did you ever think you would see Kobe pour a bottle of water on K's head?! I'm shocked!!!!!!!
Happy tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roywhite
08-24-2008, 04:28 AM
Great Job, guys. Tough game, and Spain played really well.

Kobe Bryant was so clutch. Dwayne Wade, LeBron, Chris Bosh, lots of other guys played tough down the stretch.

Congrats to Coach K. Great job, coach. Duke is proud of you and the United States is proud of you.

Abraxas
08-24-2008, 04:31 AM
I noticed that K said "Carlos" with 26 sec left, so that he gets into the game. I am not sure if he got in. If he didn't, he doesn't get a gold medal. Those are the rules for other team sports. Medals are given to all the team players who actually played during the gold medal game, not just the qualifiers.

In fencing, the gold medalist (France) try substituting but couldn't. A team member who was critical during qualifications (Lucenay), did not get a medal.

The Slamming Butcher
08-24-2008, 04:35 AM
I am one proud Duke fan.

Well done, Coach. :D:D:D

devildeac
08-24-2008, 04:37 AM
K: "hello, Mr/s Boynton. I was wondering when we could schedule the in-home visit and the official on campus visit for you and your family?

dukeimac
08-24-2008, 04:42 AM
I think it probably be more like...

Um guys, we only only take so many verbal commitments.

Edouble
08-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Kobe, Flash, Bronbron, Dwight Howard, et al made great plays down the stretch.

Great team concept by Coach K and Jerry C.

I'm probably the only person on my block up and yelling at my TV, alone, at 4:00 in the morning, but it was worth it. A great moment for Coach K and USA basketball.

Classy and touching to see the team acknowledge Doug Collins first thing after their victory.

Thank you team for a great ride and for bringing the gold back home!

:) x 12
(12 gold medals)

VaDukie
08-24-2008, 04:48 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the prophets that grace the holy land that is Inside Carolina have determined that we were terribly coached and in general out executed tonight.

:D:D:D

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:51 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the prophets that grace the holy land that is Inside Carolina have determined that we were terribly coached and in general out executed tonight.

The only execution that truly matters is the end result.

hc5duke
08-24-2008, 04:54 AM
I noticed that K said "Carlos" with 26 sec left, so that he gets into the game. I am not sure if he got in. If he didn't, he doesn't get a gold medal. Those are the rules for other team sports. Medals are given to all the team players who actually played during the gold medal game, not just the qualifiers.

In fencing, the gold medalist (France) try substituting but couldn't. A team member who was critical during qualifications (Lucenay), did not get a medal.

Are you sure? I could have sworn during swimming relays, they said the guys who were in the qualifying rounds would also be awarded medals.

Either way, Carlos was in there for the last 0:30 or so.

dukeimac
08-24-2008, 04:54 AM
That's ok, what did they say after 2004?

It was their UNC guy that coached them then.

Abraxas
08-24-2008, 04:56 AM
Ginobili is getting a bronze medal. Perhaps, NBA basketball (i.e.: Olympic NBA) is different.

pratt '04
08-24-2008, 04:58 AM

That's not true for basketball. For example, Ginobili was injured and didn't play in the bronze medal game, but was still on the podium receiving a bronze medal.

Regardless, it was nice that Carlos got into the game!

Abraxas
08-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Carlos is up in the podium!

Edouble
08-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Well, look who got his medal first!

BD80
08-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Wrong version of the National Anthem!

Where's Marvin?

Where is Nike's clout?

devildeac
08-24-2008, 05:05 AM

They should know after their last coaching and performance experience:p.

moonpie23
08-24-2008, 05:11 AM
tarholes are hating this cause they have ZERO part in it....no players, no coaches, no Nuthin!!!

zero for carolina

everything for coach k

congrats Team USA....

Oriole Way
08-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Wow... in the closing shot ending NBC's coverage a couple seconds ago, they were showing the basketball team posing for pictures with K in the middle. They had all put their gold medals around his neck, it was cool as hell.

Would love to get a picture of that.

TNTDevil
08-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Great game Spain!

Congratulations Team USA!

Congratulations Coach Krzyzewski.

I've never seen multi-millionaires so happy.

I'm not an NBA fan, definitely never liked Kobe.

But, after today, he's All Duke in my book.

Edouble
I don't know if anyone else saw this, because they didn't show it during the medal ceremony, only in a montage when the station/Olympic coverage was signing off, but when the team was taking pictures after the medal ceremony at center court, all the players put their gold medals on Coach K (yes, he was wearing 12 gold medals) and stuck him in the middle of the team to pose for some pictures. It was pretty cool, seemingly an ultimate sign of gratitude and respect.

blazindw
VICTORY! I love it! :)

Now, I'm going to bed :)

devildeac
08-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow... in the closing shot ending NBC's coverage a couple seconds ago, they were showing the basketball team posing for pictures with K in the middle. They had all put their gold medals around his neck, it was cool as hell.

Sounds like another recruiting advantage:D

dukeimac
08-24-2008, 05:23 AM
The announcers also mentioned something that should make the UNC fans hate Duke and Coach K even more.

3 national NCAA titles and a gold medal for Coach K.

No UNC coach can even come close to that and may never come close to that.

ROF BMG LMAO

Duke4Ever32
08-24-2008, 05:26 AM

Yeah - that was unbelievably awesome. That's definitely my new screen saver!

dukelifer
08-24-2008, 06:09 AM
What made this sweeter was that Spain played a great game. They fought hard- they hit big shots - they passed very well- they never folded. But team USA also played a great game. This team was focused and competed every second. It was also great- because K had to coach. He had to make key adjustments and almost everyone of them worked. An interesting moment was when Lebron got his fourth foul and K kept him in because he needed his leadership on the floor and Lebron responded. If this game had been a blowout- folks would have said this team was so dominant that anyone could have coached them. Today, the team needed K to coach and he did. And of course, when the game was on the line, the great players played great. Wade left everything on the floor. But when Spain cut it to 2, Kobe would not let USA lose. They guy loves the big moment. But most of all, team USA played very well together and when it got tight- they kept their poise. Credit K with bringing them together and getting them to commit to D- although in this game Spain was scoring at will at times.

K was a very proud coach today- as happy as I have seen him in a long while. This game was extremely important to him- perhaps more than any of us know. He also rose to the occasion. Kudos to K and the team for an excellent performance throughout the tourney. This team erased many of the stereotypes of the NBA player. These guys were professionals in the best sense of the word and a team usually reflects the qualities of their coach. Great, great win.

NashvilleDevil
08-24-2008, 07:07 AM
This is the best image I could find on the picture some of have been talking about.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0824/oly_g_team_usa9_617.jpg

BoC
08-24-2008, 07:15 AM
So, does the Gregg Doyle watch begin now? Because I for one don't think he'll keep his promise to never again rag on Coach K, or whatever it was he said.

By the way, that picture above is fine!

devildeac
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
The announcers also mentioned something that should make the UNC fans hate Duke and Coach K even more.

ROF BMG LMAO

BMG?

biting my gums?
big-mouth grin?

devildeac
08-24-2008, 08:16 AM
What made this sweeter was that Spain played a great game. They fought hard- they hit big shots - they passed very well- they never folded. But team USA also played a great game. This team was focused and competed every second. It was also great- because K had to coach. He had to make key adjustments and almost everyone of them worked. An interesting moment was when Lebron got his fourth foul and K kept him in because he needed his leadership on the floor and Lebron responded. If this game had been a blowout- folks would have said this team was so dominant that anyone could have coached them. Today, the team needed K to coach and he did. And of course, when the game was on the line, the great players played great. Wade left everything on the floor. But when Spain cut it to 2, Kobe would not let USA lose. They guy loves the big moment. But most of all, team USA played very well together and when it got tight- they kept their poise. Credit K with bringing them together and getting them to commit to D- although in this game Spain was scoring at will at times.

K was a very proud coach today- as happy as I have seen him in a long while. This game was extremely important to him- perhaps more than any of us know. He also rose to the occasion. Kudos to K and the team for an excellent performance throughout the tourney. This team erased many of the stereotypes of the NBA player. These guys were professionals in the best sense of the word and a team usually reflects the qualities of their coach. Great, great win.

Well summarized. Too "bad" you're a Duke fan as I think that's the way a lot of us probably feel and how we'd analyze the victory. Let's see how the "haters" twist this into another anti-Duke/anti-K piece. I will enjoy this victory and moment for a long, long time and greatly appreciate the sacrifices the players and coaches made to accomplish this.

dukelifer
08-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Well summarized. Too "bad" you're a Duke fan as I think that's the way a lot of us probably feel and how we'd analyze the victory. Let's see how the "haters" twist this into another anti-Duke/anti-K piece. I will enjoy this victory and moment for a long, long time and greatly appreciate the sacrifices the players and coaches made to accomplish this.

The players did everything they could to make K look good on and off the court. They were visible in every venue and the other Olympic athletes appreciated their presence. I think even the Duke haters are happy that USA is back on top and will give K his due, as his mark on the team was very clear. There will be plenty of time for the anti-Duke crowd to root against K. Right now K is very happy- and as a Duke fan, I am happy we have a happy coach who achieved a major personal and professional goal and can now focus 100% on his college team.

captmojo
08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Good coaching was proven in the timeout calls that were ordered in the second half. The way that Spain was able to shoot so effectively and cut back double-digit leads shows that the US team had a coach that knew how to stall that momentum and encourage his team to get back ol' "mo". Let others say what they will, I'm not convinced that just anybody, could have won gold with this group. Then again, there won't be anyone that will be able to prove it.

Congratulations to Coach and the team for a job well done!

grossbus
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
"Wow... in the closing shot ending NBC's coverage a couple seconds ago, they were showing the basketball team posing for pictures with K in the middle. They had all put their gold medals around his neck, it was cool as hell.

Would love to get a picture of that."

i want that picture!!!

very cool.

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Congrats to Coach K and the USA team. Poor Carolina fans probably are in mourning right now.

cspan37421
08-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I sense that K would not want anyone on the team who put their pro or college allegiance ahead of duty to country. If anyone is not happy for this team because he coached it, or because of the involvement of Boozer or CC/Wojo on the scouting staff, etc., then I'm sure he would say that they don't understand what representing your country is all about.

I do not maintain that Carolina coaches or players could not have done this, but I do think that, in this day of the global game, they'd have to have this same attitude to get it done. Smith got it done in '76, right? But yes, Karl and Brown did not, though Brown has won championships at the college and pro levels.

BTW, I'm very happy for ALL the coaches and this team. They steamrolled until the final game, but this one really tested their ability to play as a team. Spain really pushed them.

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-24-2008, 10:06 AM
This is the best image I could find on the picture some of have been talking about.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0824/oly_g_team_usa9_617.jpg

I love that picture. Do you have a link to the picture?

Lavabe
08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Congrats to Coach K and the USA team. Poor Carolina fans probably are in mourning right now.

Aside from the tacky blue folks, I expect the DHTsunami to be in lull phase for a little bit.

I hope.

miramar
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM

ROF BMG LMAO

I'm no fan of Deano, but he did have two NCAA titles and Olympic gold in 1976 (with Phil Ford, Mitch Kupchak, Walter Davis, and even Bill Gutheridge), so that's pretty close.

Montreal may have been the first and only time I rooted for one of his teams.

Olympic Fan
08-24-2008, 11:01 AM
The picture of the players putting their medals around Coach K's neck is a GREAT symbolic gesture and shows what they thought of him.

It would make a great poster ...

Just to be clear, those are the only medals Coach K will get. While every team player (including those that don't play in the final game) receive medals, the coaches do not. While he was part of the 92 Dream Team, he does not have a medal from that one. And he will not get a medal for this gold.

And K's accomplishment is not unique. Bobby Knight also has three NCAA titles and an Olympic Gold. He won in 1984, when the USSR and most of the tough Eastern European teams boycotted. As noted, Dean has two NCAA titles and a gold ... Hank Iba has two NCAA titles and a gold (from 1968) and a silver (from 1972).

Not sure if Rupp was officially the Olympic coach in 1948. His Fab Five team was the core of the gold medal team and I know he actually coached them in the London Games ... but they may have had a figurehead coach. He has four NCAA titles ... and gold?

BlueintheFace
08-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Can we give D-wade two medals and Kobe ....like 5.

merry
08-24-2008, 11:51 AM
For those looking for the photos you can do a Yahoo news photo seach (I think I said "olympic basketball coach medals" but I imagine any number of search strings would work) and find a bunch of similar/related photos.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//080824/ids_photos_sp/r287122561.jpg/

cspan37421
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Let's not forget that prior to the Dream team, the top level international basketball competition was often US collegians versus Soviet pros (pseudo-amateurs). And their Bulgarian refs, or whatever it was in '72.

I was reminded of this when they showed Doug Collins hitting those FTs in '72. He looked SO young - and now I know why, he wasn't a pro yet.

On balance it is hard to say what is tougher, winning on a relatively level playing field now, but with the BB skills around the globe evening up, or winning then with an artificial disadvantage in age/experience, but before the rest of the world had "caught up" to US standards.

D-Wade was awesome. It is so good to see that guy come back from injury, and show the greatness he had when the Heat won the title.

billybreen
08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Aside from the tacky blue folks, I expect the DHTsunami to be in lull phase for a little bit.

I hope.

Keep hoping. I have less faith in humanity.

heyman25
08-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Super win. The ESPN video with K Kobe LeBron Chris Paul Dwayne and Carmelo is hilarious. Now if ESPN could fire the Wanker Caple or whatever his name is. That BS Remark should put that jerk on hiatus from writing any stories.

dukeimac
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh my god, you guys are funny.

ROF BMG LMAO

Rolling on Floor Busting my gut Laughing my a_s off

As for 3 NCAA title's and 1 Gold ring and no UNC coach getting close to that. Well Dean has 2 NCAA titles and 1 Gold ring but he won't ever get close to Coach K. The last I heard the guy is long gone from coaching so I don't think he has the chance to win another NCAA title or another Gold ring.

Coach K is much close to making 4 NCAA titles than it is for Dean to win his third let along another gold ring.

Tsetse0510
08-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't know if you noticed but Dwight Howard was still wearing his medal. It seems as though he didn't participate.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Haha, I love it.

I bet Doyel already had 2 or 3 articles about how he knew Coach K would fail

Stray Gator
08-24-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know if anyone else saw this, because they didn't show it during the medal ceremony, only in a montage when the station/Olympic coverage was signing off, but when the team was taking pictures after the medal ceremony at center court, all the players put their gold medals on Coach K (yes, he was wearing 12 gold medals) and stuck him in the middle of the team to pose for some pictures. It was pretty cool, seemingly an ultimate sign of gratitude and respect.

Quite a contrast from the last USA Men's Basketball Olympic Team. I'm guessing the only thing those guys wanted to put around their coach's neck was a noose. ;)

DevilDan
08-24-2008, 01:52 PM
As that famous Soccer announcer says:

GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-D, GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-D, GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-D !

Our Guys had the talent, OUR COACH had the Gameplan -- to repel one of the great challenges in Gold Medal game history. I can't imagine how Spain could have played any better. So it is testimonial to the great planning, effort, and execution of the USA TEAM, which advanced from a group of individual stars that Coach K took on.

HAIL TO THE CHAMPIONS. Great Job COACH K ... now COME HOME and let's get down to BUSINESS !

jimsumner
08-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Dukeimac,

I'm pretty sure two NCAA titles and one Olympic title is pretty close to three NCAA titles and one Olympic title. Note that DES also has an NCAA title as a player.

Is there nothing we can't turn into ma Duke-UNC p*****g match? Win with class. Act like you've been there before.

jimsumner
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
RE: Rupp,

He was assistant coach on the '48 team. The head coach was Bud Browning, head coach of the Philips Oilers. The Oilers defeated Kentucky 53-49 in the Olympic Trials finals, mainly because Bob Kurland chewed up Alex Groza.

The Trials consisted of eight amateur teams, a mixture of college and AAU teams. Each of the finalists sent their five starters to the Olympics, joined by four other players. Browning was head coach by virtue of his team winning the title. By all accounts, Rupp didn't take kindly to playing second fiddle to Browning.

RIDukie
08-24-2008, 02:15 PM
tarholes are hating this cause they have ZERO part in it....no players, no coaches, no Nuthin!!!

zero for carolina

everything for coach k

congrats Team USA....

Let's see:

Duke representatives: K, Boozer, Dawkins, Wojo, and Collins

Wake Forest representative: C. Paul

NC State representative: N. McMillan

NC representative: NONE

Coincidence?

jimsumner
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Speaking of coaches, we probably need to throw Hank Iba's name in the mix. Two NCAA titles, Olympic gold in 1964 and 1968, silver in 1972. Yes, I'm more than a little aware of the criticism directed his way for his handling of the '72 team but his overall record is pretty impressive.

Lord Ash
08-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES.

Congrats to K and the rest of the team.

devildeac
08-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Let's see:

Duke representatives: K, Boozer, Dawkins, Wojo, and Collins

Wake Forest representative: C. Paul

NC State representative: N. McMillan

NC representative: NONE

Coincidence?

Inside USA Basketball Calendar History Rules Media Central Contact Us

[redacted copyrighted material (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=moly_1976)]

© 2008 USA Basketball, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

At least DES wasn't a complete "homer" like K and had the "sense" to include a Dukie on the team:rolleyes:;):o (just kidding here folks, just kidding)

Bob Green
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Is there nothing we can't turn into ma Duke-UNC p*****g match? Win with class. Act like you've been there before.

Excellent point! Thank you!! This is not about Duke-Carolina, it is about the USA!!!

BD80
08-25-2008, 03:50 AM
Quite a contrast from the last USA Men's Basketball Olympic Team. I'm guessing the only thing those guys wanted to put around their coach's neck was a noose. ;)

Naw, in fact they had planned something quite similar, they were going to place all of the bronze medals around Larry's neck and take him to the diving venue ... Unfortunately, Larry had already packed before the game and was flying off to his next team.

dukeimac
08-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Well sorry guys but when I hear that this stuff is going on I defend Coach K and Duke. Sounds like some people believe we are all winners and will get a juice box and a snack when the game is over.

I only compared Coach K to UNC coaches because many UNC fans hold out the 5 > 3 thing and that Roy > K, so they think.

RIDukie you missed Georgia Tech: Bosh

Tom B.
08-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Bobby Knight also has three NCAA titles and an Olympic Gold. He won in 1984, when the USSR and most of the tough Eastern European teams boycotted.

I've often wondered how that 1984 team would've done in a non-boycotted Olympics. Yes, they were collegians, but that might've been the most impressive collection of college basketball talent ever assembled. That was the team with Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, et al. That team was so loaded that future Dream Teamers Charles Barkley and John Stockton were cut during the trials. All of their games were pretty much blowouts, and I have to think they'd have handled themselves well against the Soviets, too.

Trivia question -- outside of the U.S. team, who are the only two basketball players who received a medal at the 1984 Olympics who later played in the NBA?

Hint: One of the players won two more medals in subsequent Olympic games, one of which he won while playing for a different country. His name is one you'll likely recognize, while the other is pretty obscure. The two players also share an unfortunate common bond. Answers are below in hidden text.

Drazen Petrovic -- won bronze with Yugoslavia in 1984, then won silver with Yugoslavia in 1988 and another silver with Croatia in 1992; played four seasons in the NBA with the Portland Trailblazers and New Jersey Nets from 1989-1993.

Fernando Martin -- won silver with Spain in 1984; played in 24 games for the Portland Trailblazers in the 1986-87 season.

Both men died in car accidents before they turned 30.

roywhite
08-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I've often wondered how that 1984 team would've done in a non-boycotted Olympics. Yes, they were collegians, but that might've been the most impressive collection of college basketball talent ever assembled. That was the team with Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, et al. That team was so loaded that future Dream Teamers Charles Barkley and John Stockton were cut during the trials.

So loaded that Johnny Dawkins didn't make the team, but was an alternate.

greybeard
08-25-2008, 11:09 AM
This was a three-year (summers at least) effort to provide an environment where experts in one game could learn another sufficiently such that those who are expert in that other game will not be able to use that advantage to beat the US at what is supposed to be our game but as played in the Olympics is not.

Creating an environment in which super star millionaires could grow and learn in this fashion is unprecedented.

Had K not been up to that task, the US in all likelihood would not have one gold. Bobby and El Deano, great as they were, were fungible. There was no blueprint to follow for this adventure. K, Colangelo (much as I do not like the guy), and the other coaches, deserve great respect for a job well done.

Two other things. I think that the Duke assistants probably deserve much more props than anyone is giving them. If I asked all you guys to lie down and put your right hand "over your head", we'd have right hands all over the place--in front of faces, extending to the ceiling, extending to the wall behind, over the head in halo fashion. The Duke assistants were available to make sure that players "got" what K said to them. Communication: don't underestimate the difficulty when it comes to transferring words into specific action.

Lastly, people ask if this experiment will change the NBA. My guess, definitely. The best of the best got oh so much smarter, learned a new game, and had a terrific time playing it as a team and enjoying the experience of a lifetime. How can this not impact on the league dramatically.

K continues to impress. Someone else probably could have done the job also. K stepped up and got it done. Hats off to him!

jimsumner
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
"That team was so loaded that future Dream Teamers Charles Barkley and John Stockton were cut during the trials."

Barkley wasn't cut because he wasn't good enough. Knight couldn't stand him. The U.S. kept Jeff Turner instead. Yes, that Jeff Turner.

Knight also kept his Steve Alford over Stockton and Dawkins. So, as good as that '84 team was, it could have been better.

roywhite
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
"That team was so loaded that future Dream Teamers Charles Barkley and John Stockton were cut during the trials."

Barkley wasn't cut because he wasn't good enough. Knight couldn't stand him. The U.S. kept Jeff Turner instead. Yes, that Jeff Turner.

Knight also kept his Steve Alford over Stockton and Dawkins. So, as good as that '84 team was, it could have been better.

Well, Barkley turned out to be a great player, but I don't necessarily criticize Knight for his choice, or for choosing Alford either. Team chemistry is very important. A coach does, and should, have considerable discretion in making some of those personnel choices. The best 12 players does not necessarily make the best team.

MChambers
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
This was a three-year (summers at least) effort to provide an environment where experts in one game could learn another sufficiently such that those who are expert in that other game will not be able to use that advantage to beat the US at what is supposed to be our game but as played in the Olympics is not.

As I understand it, international rules are changing to use a lane and three-point line very similar or the same as those used in the NBA. Personally, I'd rather see the NBA change.

Either way, in four years the games will be much more similar.

greybeard
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
As I understand it, international rules are changing to use a lane and three-point line very similar or the same as those used in the NBA. Personally, I'd rather see the NBA change.

Either way, in four years the games will be much more similar.

Interesting. Thanks. I avoided mentioning above my favorite topic, the soccer influence on the sport. As I've mentioned (you think), D'A built the Suns offense around soccer concepts and those steeped in soccer culture (notice his first pick for the Knicks), and K daringly changed his entire offensive scheme last year to take what he had learned from D'A and had Duke creating inside-out play, soccer style.

Kobe was a natural for that style, but the other guys not so much. What you will see much more of around the NBA as a consequence of these stars' experience is quick one-two passing combinations, penetration to the lane as a means of creating inside-out play as opposed to passing it inside to do so, and, the use of the pass out and away from the basket as an offensive weapon rather than just a reset.

These features, in my opinion, will make the US game much less star-laddened, and much more interesting to play and watch.

Again, this undertaking by K and the others was a smashing success that I believe will equip the leaders of the NBA game to improve the product, perhaps significantly.

TNTDevil
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Great article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/olympics/story/1192495-p2.html) on the front page of today's Raleigh News & Observer.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski led the U.S. men's Olympic basketball team back to the mountaintop Sunday in China. Team USA survived a scare from Spain and won the gold medal.

After its 118-107 victory on the final day of the Olympics, you would have thought this band of NBA superstars was a college team. They teased. They hugged. They danced. At the suggestion of LeBron James, all 12 players came to the postgame news conference instead of just one.

And so we finally had the answer to the question of whether a college coach at Duke could manage a team of multimillionaire pros to Olympic gold. He could -- by turning them into kids again.