PDA

View Full Version : Win or Lose - Let's welcome K at the airport

cascadedevil
08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Get your American flags ready. Wear red, white and blue. Practice your screaming for Cameron. I say win or lose we should welcome K at RDU to thank him for his service to the country. Does anyone know when he is expected to return?

Go USA!

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I wonder if they will do anything to honor him at half time next Saturday. That would be special. And on top, a great way for the new athletic dept. to get off on the right foot. Besides the recognition, it would be K seen by many people showing up to a football game, showing the support that he has talked about. It would work on many levels.
I hope he gets a nice welcoming at the airport as well.

cascadedevil
08-24-2008, 04:45 AM
I am looking forward to a big party at the airport. Hopefully, someone from Duke's athletic department reads this board and can tell us when he is arriving.

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:49 AM
I'll go to the airport, but I don't think he'll be landing at Logan :D

devildeac
08-24-2008, 05:03 AM
I'll go to the airport, but I don't think he'll be landing at Logan :D

Yea, but for a while at least, he can probably land WHEREVER he wishes:D.

BD80
08-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Doesn't look like any of those guys will be touching down for quite a while!

It is great to see them enjoy their success so thoroughly.

eddiehaskell
08-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Things have been set right. The USA is back on top of the basketball world and one of the best coaches ever lead them there - COACH K!!!

MCragg
08-24-2008, 10:11 AM
You can call this an official invitation from our athletic department...

Join us as we welcome back Duke University and U.S.A Olympic Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski and his family, plus Olympic and Duke assistant coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Chris Collins at the RDU Airport on Monday, August 25. Be there to congratulate Coach K on his Olympic accomplishments. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:12 pm, and the welcome back event will take place at the Southwest Baggage Claim in Terminal A. Visitors should park in the Terminal A hourly parking garage and follow signs to Southwest Baggage Claim/Baggage Claim Area 4 & 5. We hope to see you there!

Go Duke!

Also - our athletic department does plan to have a halftime Olympic Salute at the football game Saturday night. More details to follow but know that everyone is excited for a great opening night of Duke Football and the opportunity to honor our Duke Olympians, including Coach K.

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Cheer him for me will ya guys? To bad he wouldn't land at the Indianapolis airport.:D:D

colchar
08-24-2008, 11:15 AM
If anyone from DBR attends, it would be great is you could take and post a video of the festivities for the rest of us to see. I'm betting DBR wouldn't mind hosting the video for us.

devildeac
08-24-2008, 11:46 AM
You can call this an official invitation from our athletic department...

Join us as we welcome back Duke University and U.S.A Olympic Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski and his family, plus Olympic and Duke assistant coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Chris Collins at the RDU Airport on Monday, August 25. Be there to congratulate Coach K on his Olympic accomplishments. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:12 pm, and the welcome back event will take place at the Southwest Baggage Claim in Terminal A. Visitors should park in the Terminal A hourly parking garage and follow signs to Southwest Baggage Claim/Baggage Claim Area 4 & 5. We hope to see you there!

Go Duke!

Also - our athletic department does plan to have a halftime Olympic Salute at the football game Saturday night. More details to follow but know that everyone is excited for a great opening night of Duke Football and the opportunity to honor our Duke Olympians, including Coach K.

Thanks, Mike! Don't be a stranger;)!

Ders24
08-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Here's hoping my class gets out early (on the first day, why not?)

devilirium
08-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I love the fact that K won the gold and in doing so won the heart of the country. But I"m going to play devil's advocate here (in a sense). I think that the Iron Dukes could've shown a bit more sensitivity to the situation. What is that like a 14 hour flight? I realize that K took his family with him, but he is going to be exhausted coming off that plane.

Seems to me that the football game would make a lot more sense.

bigj4194
08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately I will be in class...even though its the first day I have class until 515...curses.

killerleft
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Dang! This is maybe the only day all summer that I absolutely can't leave work.

I'd love to be there, though. I hope Coach K is at the Football game!

watzone
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I hope to make it out. Not looking forward to the parking and traffic though.

Duke4Ever32
08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I hope to make it out. Not looking forward to the parking and traffic though.

Did anyone go? How was it?? Hopefully there were lots of folks there!

Indoor66
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Check it out: http://www.wral.com/sports/video/3432381/

Jarhead
08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
The coverage of K's return is appalling. I have seen nothing in the N&O, or on any of the local TV outlets. An exception is the very weak coverage on ABC Channel 11 which showed their second string sports guy outside with the terminal building in the background. He was saying that K had arrived and was having a press conference inside. He ended his report with a more coverage at 6 comment, but that turned out to be more of the same. What a set of sorry journalism!!

Jarhead
08-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Check it out: http://www.wral.com/sports/video/3432381/
Thanks, Indoor, I guess I'll have to start watching the Jesse Helms channel.

devilish
08-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks, Indoor, I guess I'll have to start watching the Jesse Helms channel.

I don't understand that comment.

Indoor66
08-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't understand that comment.

Jesse Helms first came to prominence doing political commentaries on WRAL (Channel 5) in Raliegh - in the '60's.

Duke4Ever32
08-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info, Indoor and Jarhead. I was mostly interested just to see if quite a few folks turned out in support, and it sounded like that was the case from the WRAL video! I wish I lived closer and could have gone.

GO USA!!

devilish
08-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Jesse Helms first came to prominence doing political commentaries on WRAL (Channel 5) in Raliegh - in the '60's.

Born in the '70s and didn't realize that. Thanks.

I do know that a lot of the members of the family that owns WRAL are big Duke fans.

mike88
08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
The coverage of K's return is appalling. I have seen nothing in the N&O, or on any of the local TV outlets. An exception is the very weak coverage on ABC Channel 11 which showed their second string sports guy outside with the terminal building in the background. He was saying that K had arrived and was having a press conference inside. He ended his report with a more coverage at 6 comment, but that turned out to be more of the same. What a set of sorry journalism!!

NBC 17 also had a nice segment on the 7PM news. I was lucky to DVR it- it started with a nice shot of my 7 year old son and his "Welcome Back Coach K sign" - but I don't think they have posted it on their website as yet.