PDA

View Full Version : A new hope: Status Check

OZZIE4DUKE
08-23-2008, 01:31 AM
It is about 1:30 a.m. Saturday morning, which means the New Day, the New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas), the New Era, starts in one week, 17 1/2 hours - 7 p.m. August 30th.

It's a beautiful night in the Triangle, temps in the upper 60s and stars in the beautiful Duke Blue sky. Absolutely perfect conditions. I guess that the heat will start emanating in Durham as we get closer to kick off!

Let's Go Duke Football! Beat JMU! :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm about 100 miles away from dear ole Duke. I've been hearing some soft rumbling sounds coming from the east this week. Could that be the marching band's drum line? All week the words to our songs have been running through my mind.

The tailgate party's coming together with great food and great company to assemble before the Dawn of a New Day!

PDDuke85
08-23-2008, 10:35 AM
The never ending postings expressing genuine enthusiasm is remarkable. All this and yet, still awaiting game #1. Of course, all are yearning for football respectability, but this pre-season, the hope is different, it's accompanied by the reality of change. I wish nothing but the best for Coach Cutcliffe and his team. If they are successful in building this thing, I look forward to adding dukefootballreport.com to my bookmarks.

Living a bit off the beaten Durham path, and having to work the occasional Saturday, I won't be there against JMU. But I look forward to Sept. 6 and the chance to 2-peat over Northwestern.

Go Duke Go!:)

Edouble
08-23-2008, 11:16 AM
If they are successful in building this thing, I look forward to adding dukefootballreport.com to my bookmarks.

Fair weather fan?

PDDuke85
08-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Don't think so. Two trips up I-95 per season since we moved to SC in 2000. I will admit though, the drive was getting longer and longer. If renewed optimism makes me fair weather, so be it

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Got my tickets yesterday, I've been parading them all over the house. Getting more excited every day. Watched the preview show on FSN the other night, loved Oghobaase..grrrrrrrrr!

chrishoke
08-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I am very pumped. This will be a very tough opener for the Cut regime. JMU is preseason #5 in the FCS and is an experienced team with a sustained winning tradition including a recent national championship. This Duke teams needs our support next Saturday night. It will be a high scoring, fun game. See you at the game! Go Devils!

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Just ordered tickets for the Wake game as well. That will make 8 games for me this year..I would love to see us knock the Deacons down in their house. SO many close games...

Cavlaw
08-23-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm going to be in the triangle next weekend and am thinking about going to the game.

I haven't really been back to Durham since I became an active poster a number of years ago -- I assume DBR'rs meet up somewhere prior to the game?

devildeac
08-23-2008, 07:59 PM
It is about 1:30 a.m. Saturday morning, which means the New Day, the New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas), the New Era, starts in one week, 17 1/2 hours - 7 p.m. August 30th.

It's a beautiful night in the Triangle, temps in the upper 60s and stars in the beautiful Duke Blue sky. Absolutely perfect conditions. I guess that the heat will start emanating in Durham as we get closer to kick off!

I like this.

Now, 6 days and about 23 hours to a New Dawn and a New Day in Duke FB.

LGD! LGD! And, even though it's over 3 months away, GTHCGTH!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm going to be in the triangle next weekend and am thinking about going to the game.

I haven't really been back to Durham since I became an active poster a number of years ago -- I assume DBR'rs meet up somewhere prior to the game?
Do you mean August 30? If so, PM me.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-24-2008, 12:50 PM

For those who want to gather prior to the game and/or at halftime, the flagpole at the north end of the stadium is a central location.

godukecom
08-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll be there!
Season Tickets came friday!

Lavabe
08-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Is there a wireless signal available at WW? If so, will someone be there with iTouch/iPhone to update the Snrubchat? Some of us will be unable to attend.

Thanks in advance,
Lavabe

Acymetric
08-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Is there a wireless signal available at WW? If so, will someone be there with iTouch/iPhone to update the Snrubchat? Some of us will be unable to attend.

Thanks in advance,
Lavabe

There's always the espn gametracker (I think yahoo and several other places have one too). I think goduke.com has a radio broadcast too, though you have to pay. I think its about 5 dollars a month for audio.

TNTDevil
08-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Thanks in advance,
LavabeYes, there is. Funny you mentioned that. I'm tailgating with a bunch of family, friends and fellow DBRers. I may have to designate someone to "LiveBlog" the game :).

bdh21
08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
ICould that be the marching band's drum line?!

Duke Blue is icy cool Ah! Ah! Ah!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, there is. Funny you mentioned that. I'm tailgating with a bunch of family, friends and fellow DBRers. I may have to designate someone to "LiveBlog" the game :).
Could the snubchat session start early enough to catch some of the tailgate activity before the game? Say around 5P?

For all you folks planning to attend the game, it's time to plan or find your tailgate party. TNTDevil and I are already hosting parties.... in different parking lots. Our goal should be a DBR tailgate party in every parking lot.
Wannamaker Reserved and Card Gym Lots are covered.
Who's hosting the party in the Grounds Lot?
Whitford Dr. Lot?
How about the Lots along and adjacent to Bassett Dr.?

GO DUKE!!!

classof2016
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Got my tickets yesterday, I've been parading them all over the house. Getting more excited every day. Watched the preview show on FSN the other night, loved Oghobaase..grrrrrrrrr!

I got the tickets to the Duke-UNC football game in the mail and literally sent a picture of them to all 163 of the contacts in my cell :D

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I got the tickets to the Duke-UNC football game in the mail and literally sent a picture of them to all 163 of the contacts in my cell :D

!!HAHA!! That's great. Gonna have my camera with me Saturday and a few other game days. I've always wanted to do some paintings of game day at Wallace Wade, but the empty seats are hard to get past. Maybe this year will be the year. I think a great painting would be the victory bell on parade with Duke cheerleader's leading the way.

devildeac
08-24-2008, 09:09 PM
!!HAHA!! That's great. Gonna have my camera with me Saturday and a few other game days. I've always wanted to do some paintings of game day at Wallace Wade, but the empty seats are hard to get past. Maybe this year will be the year. I think a great painting would be the victory bell on parade with Duke cheerleader's leading the way.

My daughter (and her mom and I also:D) would really, really love for that to happen:D. This year. And repeatedly thereafter.

PumpkinFunk
08-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Duke Blue is icy cool Ah! Ah! Ah!

:D

We're definitely getting ready. Should be a good one - Coach Cut is definitely getting a lot of people excited.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Your cell? You getting out of jail on work release for the game?

Bob Green
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Yes, there is. Funny you mentioned that. I'm tailgating with a bunch of family, friends and fellow DBRers. I may have to designate someone to "LiveBlog" the game :).

The DBR Japan contingent would appreciate "LiveBlog" updates as Gametracker isn't the most dynamic environment.

TNTDevil
08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
The DBR Japan contingent would appreciate "LiveBlog" updates as Gametracker isn't the most dynamic environment.BG, we'll keep you updated one-way or another! I'll even make sure to raise a toast in honor of your service to the country!

RPS
08-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Sadly, I won't be at the game. I will be 2,816 miles west at what I hope will be another notable debut an hour later. But I will be listening to at least pieces of the Bob Harris call on my portable, wireless XM receiver from my seats in Section TT. Here's to the start of something great.

GADevilFan
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Can I just say that I LOVE this website? The excitment is really present.... here's hoping for a victory and large crowd!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Can I just say that I LOVE this website? The excitment is really present.... here's hoping for a victory and large crowd!
And the revival of great tailgating parties!

classof2016
08-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Anyone know if this is gonna be on ACCSelect?

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Anyone know if this is gonna be on ACCSelect?

Both it and the Northwestern game will be, and Navy will be on ESPNU.

cf-62
08-26-2008, 04:22 PM

I thought this was going to be a thread about Star Wars

OZZIE4DUKE
08-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Wednesday night. The rain will continue on and off for another day or so. But come Saturday, the field will be dry, the stands will be full, and the Duke Blue Devils will begin the Cutcliffe era with a solid, exciting win over a tough JMU team.

And about 10:15 Saturday night, the goal posts will come down in celebration of win #1. Not because of who we beat, but because it is win #1.

shereec
08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Ozzie, I'm lovin' your status-check-positive-vibe-new-era mode. Yesterday I bought new Duke stadium seats and today pulled out the Duke Blue shirt (as opposed to white which I normally wear to games) getting ready for Saturday. The remnants of Fay are moving on out and it will be a clear, lovely evening in Wallace Wade. Can't wait!
JMU, I've got nothing against ya, but here's hoping you have a loooooooong trip back home Saturday night!
GO DUKE!!

Wednesday night. The rain will continue on and off for another day or so. But come Saturday, the field will be dry, the stands will be full, and the Duke Blue Devils will begin the Cutcliffe era with a solid, exciting win over a tough JMU team.

And about 10:15 Saturday night, the goal posts will come down in celebration of win #1. Not because of who we beat, but because it is win #1.

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2008, 08:37 PM

I threw this in another thread too, but I hope they stay standing. Lets at least save them for an ACC victory.

classof2016
08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Today in Northern Jersey it was brutally hot. I hear it only supposed to get hotter... Coincidence? I think not

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2008, 05:42 PM
It's 2 days, 1 hour and 40 some minutes until the kick off of the first football game of the season. I'm going to post the words to the alma mater and the two fights songs below for your use during the game Saturday.

Dear Ole Duke
by R. H. James, T '24
Copyright 1930 by the Duke Musical Clubs

Dear ole Duke, thy name we sing,
To thee our voices raise, we'll raise
To thee our anthems ring in ever lasting praise.
And tho' on life's broad sea,
Our fates may far us bear;
We'll ever turn to thee,
Our Alma Mater dear.

Blue and White
Fighting Song
by G. E. Leftwich, Jr.
Copyright 1930 by the Duke Musical Clubs

Duke we thy anthems raise
For all thy praises untold
We'll sing for the Blue and White
Whose color we unfold
to hell with Carolina*
Firm stands our line of blue
For they are loyal through and through
Fighting with the spirit true
All for the love of old D. U,
Fight we'll fight
With all our strength and might
Win we can!
So here we give a hand:
Hey Rah Rah Rah Rah D U K E Rah

*This line was added after the 50 - 0 defeat by Carolina in 1959.

Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!
Duke University Football Song
Words by Douglas D. Ballin; music by J. F. Hewitt
Copyright 1943 by Shapiro, Bernstein & Co., Inc.
Note: we currently sing only chorus.
Fight! Fight! Blue Devils
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White
March on thru
To the touchdowns there for you
(Go get 'em)
Duke is out to win today
Carolina good night!
So turn on the steam, team!
Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!

TNTDevil
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM

And about 10:15 Saturday night, the goal posts will come down in celebration of win #1. Not because of who we beat, but because it is win #1.I've been there the last two times they've come down.

Both were sweet but, that victory over ECU, in a stadium packed with ECU fans, in a rain of biblical proportions, ending the 22 game losing streak, was my favorite.

billybreen
08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
It's 2 days, 1 hour and 40 some minutes until the kick off of the first football game of the season. I'm going to post the words to the alma mater and the two fights songs below for your use during the game Saturday.

11g :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
11g :)

Sure wish you could join us, billybreen! We old alums are planning a great party to usher in the new era of Duke Football!

devildeac
08-28-2008, 11:19 PM
It's pouring in Raleigh. Less than 48 hours prior to kickoff of a New Dawn and a New Day. Rumors abound that WW will be full for the opener. I can't wait.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2008, 11:34 PM
It's pouring in Raleigh. Less than 48 hours prior to kickoff of a New Dawn and a New Day. Rumors abound that WW will be full for the opener. I can't wait.
Amen, brother! Get your game blues ready! The last time I felt this excited about the football season beginning was 1965. Duke went 6 and 4 that year, beating Virginia, South Carolina, Rice, Pitt, Wake Forest and Carolina. It was Bill Murray's last season before retiring.

CathyCA
08-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Woo-hooooooooo!!!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait for the Cutcliffe era to begin! I'll be there in Duke Blue cheering on my beloved Blue Devils!

Let's go Duke!

classof2016
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
It has gotten so hot. I sweated through my shin guards today at field hockey.

I will be down at the beach, hovered over my laptop, wearing Duke Blue, and be screaming so much that the neighbors will wonder what is wrong with me tommorrow.

I CANT WAIT! :D

devildeac
08-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Woo-hooooooooo!!!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait for the Cutcliffe era to begin! I'll be there in Duke Blue cheering on my beloved Blue Devils!

Let's go Duke!

Look us up in the Card lot. DitBD, OZZIE and I will be there with some friends.

rockymtn devil
08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Not sure if this is a taboo question (sorry if it is) but does anyone know if the game will be available on the radio online without having to sign up and/or pay for a service?

It's always killed me that I can get Ohio State football on the radio free of charge, but would have to pay to listen to Duke. Tomorrow will be my first night in the new house and I'd love to spend it listening to the Devils (if need be, I'll just sign up for the season and pay to listen; will be well worth it)

Go Devils!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm so excited that it's going to be hard to sleep tonight! Got my tickets, parking pass, binoculars and stadium seats out ready to go. Will be packing up the tailgate gear in the morning. Somewhere nearby I hear fireworks right now......

watzone
08-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm so excited that it's going to be hard to sleep tonight! Got my tickets, parking pass, binoculars and stadium seats out ready to go. Will be packing up the tailgate gear in the morning. Somewhere nearby I hear fireworks right now......

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

I took three pictures tonight that I think you resless ones will like!

devildeac
08-30-2008, 12:03 AM

Watzone,

Thanks for all your GREAT stuff the last few weeks about Duke FB. Please take a few extra pix of the cheerleaders tomorrow and then I can tell you which one my daughter is:D!

CameronBornAndBred
08-30-2008, 08:17 AM

Looks great, but it will look better tonite bathed in blue!

CameronBornAndBred
08-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Leaving for the game now, see everyone tonite, GO DUKE!!!!

Lavabe
08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
It's a bright sunny morning here in Kentucky bluegrass country. It might be a chimney starter day in Atlanta, but it's a gas grill day here, and hopefully a postgame soaker with a Burning River Ale.

Will be following the online conversations. I hope devildeac will be cheering for me at WW.

LGD!

Lavabe
08-30-2008, 09:33 AM
When will the Snrubchat begin? Link?

Also... any radio link that includes the voice of Bob Harris?

Cheers in advance to Billybreen,
Lavabe

Devilsfan
08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Watzone, that was a GREAT post. Keep up the good work!

Go Duke!

devildeac
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
It's a bright sunny morning here in Kentucky bluegrass country. It might be a chimney starter day in Atlanta, but it's a gas grill day here, and hopefully a postgame soaker with a Burning River Ale.

Will be following the online conversations. I hope devildeac will be cheering for me at WW.

LGD!

Our carolina grad older daughter will accompany us to the game and she will not be allowed to wear the ugly blue. She'll either be wearing the proper shade of ROYAL BLUE and cheering for the Devils (and her sister, the cheerleader:D) or she'll need to wear a neutral color. We'll cheer extra for the Lavabe family;)!

RelativeWays
08-30-2008, 11:59 AM
My 3 month old daughter makes attending a night game an impossibility at this point (that goes for next weeks game too) so I hope there will be snrubchat at least. GO DUKE!

ehdg
08-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I too am very excited about the new ERA in Duke Football that begins tonight under Coach Cutliffe. I know this is only the first game but I really hope that we see a vastly different team then we've seen in the past. I'm not expecting the world but a competitive team that plays 4 full quarters and is competitive is all I ask for now. I know it will take time but I really believe the we are on the verge of great things finally!! Tonight is the dawn of a new ERA and football is finally will be back on the map at Duke.

Good Luck guys and let's put our best effort forth both the team and the fans!! The fans are just as important as the players to things turning around!! We need to support these guys totally and show some energy and cheer as much as possible and make noice. We y'all supply enough energy the team will feed off it and hopefully win tonight!

GO DUKE!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Hot and humid. Very hellish if you ask me! Just walked 18, now time for a shower and putting on of the Blue!

The beer is in the cooler (I still need to get the ice), the cookies and brownies are bagged and ready to go! Next up: The Devil Walk, the tailgate and the game! I am so psyched!

Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke!

godukecom
08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I. Cant. Take. It. Any. Longer.
for the first time ever, I am nervous about a football game. I just want it to start... Ill be there tonight; like oz, time for a quick shower and then put on the blue!

t-4:19:12 till kickoff... hold me! Duke football is almost here! le the era of Coach Cut begin!

devildeac
08-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Hot and humid. Very hellish if you ask me! Just walked 18, now time for a shower and putting on of the Blue!

The beer is in the cooler (I still need to get the ice), the cookies and brownies are bagged and ready to go! Next up: The Devil Walk, the tailgate and the game! I am so psyched!

Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke!

Less than 4 hours 'til kickoff. I am on my way to pick up the Q/stew/chicken/sides/cornbread for the Card lot t-gate. The beer is cold (the good stuff, OZZIE:D) and the cooler will be packed in 30 minutes. The heat and humidity are stifling as I hope our D is tonight. The Blue is ready to don and I even have my carolina grad older daughter wearing a proper Blue hue for the game. I am excited.

Cavlaw
08-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I seem to have missed the tailgates. I'm grabbing a ticket now. I'd appreciate a PM re where everyone is if they want to say hi. I suspect I'm the only guy in a virginia law hat.if you happen to see me

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I seem to have missed the tailgates. I'm grabbing a ticket now. I'd appreciate a PM re where everyone is if they want to say hi. I suspect I'm the only guy in a virginia law hat.if you happen to see me

Sorry we missed you, any chance you'll be down for the UVA game?