PDA

View Full Version : What lasting effect do you believe K will have on the NBA?

NCSU&UNCgrad
08-22-2008, 10:50 PM
What lasting effect do you believe K will have on the NBA?

I think that the players on this Olympic team will better understand the importance of sound defense and teamwork and will continue there commitment to both for years to come in league play.

Edouble
08-22-2008, 11:27 PM

I think that the players on this Olympic team will better understand the importance of sound defense and teamwork and will continue there commitment to both for years to come in league play.

Hey, we use Duke grammar around here.

If you're using the word as a possessive, it's spelled "their".

billybreen
08-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey, we use Duke grammar around here.

If you're using the word as a possessive, it's spelled "their".

Oh snap!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/119/294168009_b25decaddf.jpg

pfrduke
08-23-2008, 03:16 AM

I think this is both optimistic and unfair. It's optimistic in the sense that I'm not sure the Olympic experience is going to change the way the members of Team USA play basketball when they return to the NBA. And it's unfair in the sense that it suggests that the members of the team are not committed to teamwork and defense in general.

brevity
08-23-2008, 04:46 AM
The demands on, say, Carmelo Anthony are much different in Denver than in Beijing. I'm not really sure you can extract any real lasting effect.

I see the majority of the players viewing Team USA as a positive offseason experience, and they'll want to carry their winning ways to their own franchises this fall. Some will succeed in that, some will not. They might have warm things to say about playing for Coach K, but that's about it.

And that's probably enough.

Carlos
08-23-2008, 09:47 AM
The good news for Carmelo is that the Olympics give him an opportunity to get all that pesky defense out of his system before the NBA starts.

BD80
08-23-2008, 12:01 PM
The primary effect will be the players he sends to the NBA who will influence their teams by playing the way K taught them.

Of course, that flow of players from Duke to the NBA will surge in the next couple years as upcoming high school players will now more fully appreciate the genius that is Coach K and the appeal of playing his style of basketball. The Olympics have demonstrated that it can be fun being the seventh or eighth man on a tremendously talented Coach K team. It also will prove to skilled, young big men that playing the "5" at Duke does not chain you to the post or limit your professional options. Duke will have some monster recruiting hauls over the next couple of years. And National Championships.

Another effect will be in helping D'Antoni get the "New" Knicks to play defense. The thought of trying to get Marbury or Randolph playing defense is laughable. But as D'Antoni makes over the team, he will be able to instill a defense as an imperative. He can point to the Redeem Team as proof that defense works at the highest level, and his participation on the staff will give him the credibility as a defensive coach with the Knick players. D'Antoni has demonstrated no ability to coach D in the NBA (although he did previously in international ball), so the Olympics and Coach K will be credited with any improvement in D'Antoni's coaching on defense.

D'Antoni will still get credit for bringing the open spread-the-floor offense to the NBA.

cf-62
08-23-2008, 12:30 PM

I think that the importance of individual effort on defense will increase this year.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
08-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I only see 2 probable effects. Both are only if we win the gold.

1. If the players enjoyed playing for K and the type of the type of national team has created wins the gold, then he may have been able to change the culture a bit and have more of the best players willing to make a 3 year committment.

2. Possible slight boost in recruiting for K. He wins the gold with NBA players, maybe that experience, the publicity, etc can help him recruit players.

Other than those two things I don't see much in terms of the olympic experience affecting K/duke or K affecitng the nba.

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I see K's upcoming effect on the NBA = squat.

1. While all of the players of the US team are in the NBA, there are also players on other Olympic teams who are NBA players.
2. The NBA is it's own thing and attitude. What was taught as far as the Olympics go, will not be seen in the NBA game.
3. I think what the US accompishes (hoping they win gold) will be greatly appreciated and celebrated here in the states, but quickly forgotten once the season is in full swing. It will be back to the millionaire mentality, and the team with the most will be expected to win, and probably won't. Maybe the team who most paid attention to the attitude of the olympics will. But I doubt it. I don't think that team will exist.

darthur
08-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I love Duke and college basketball... but some day, I'd love to see Duke (or UNC or anyone) play an NBA team and lose by 40. Then college basketball fans might finally realize that the pros are actually damn good.

Uncle Drew
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I see K's upcoming effect on the NBA = squat.

1. While all of the players of the US team are in the NBA, there are also players on other Olympic teams who are NBA players.
2. The NBA is it's own thing and attitude. What was taught as far as the Olympics go, will not be seen in the NBA game.
3. I think what the US accompishes (hoping they win gold) will be greatly appreciated and celebrated here in the states, but quickly forgotten once the season is in full swing. It will be back to the millionaire mentality, and the team with the most will be expected to win, and probably won't. Maybe the team who most paid attention to the attitude of the olympics will. But I doubt it. I don't think that team will exist.

I couldn't agree more Cam. This olympic team has been at times a very strong defensive team. When they are playing good defense, geting steals and giving weakside help THAT is when they have been dominant. Players like James, Kobe and Wade have all shown they can be as imposing on defense as offense. But when those guys get back to their respective teams their job carrying the offensive load is so huge playing tenacious D would wear them down 20 games into the season.

Each player has adopted a role on the USA squad and each has another different role on their NBA team. And lets face it, your average NBA guy plays more for money than pride most of the time. Even if the olympic guys come back with altered mindsets, I highly doubt it's going to rub off on their team.

darthur
08-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Another effect will be in helping D'Antoni get the "New" Knicks to play defense. The thought of trying to get Marbury or Randolph playing defense is laughable. But as D'Antoni makes over the team, he will be able to instill a defense as an imperative. He can point to the Redeem Team as proof that defense works at the highest level, and his participation on the staff will give him the credibility as a defensive coach with the Knick players.

For the record, you know that the official reason for the Suns/D'Antoni split was that the Suns thought D'Antoni didn't even care about coaching defense, right? In particular, the Suns asked him to spend more time on defense in practice, and he refused, saying they should trust his methods based on his win/loss record. Anyway, there was certainly no indication he ever tried to establish defense as an "imperative".

SMO
08-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I love Duke and college basketball... but some day, I'd love to see Duke (or UNC or anyone) play an NBA team and lose by 40. Then college basketball fans might finally realize that the pros are actually damn good.

...because I was just sitting here thinking about how much NBA players stink at basketball.:confused:

darthur
08-23-2008, 05:30 PM
...because I was just sitting here thinking about how much NBA players stink at basketball.:confused:

...because I was probably referring to you, even though you had not even posted on the thread.

billybreen
08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
...because I was probably referring to you, even though you had not even posted on the thread.

You said 'college basketball fans.' That applies to pretty much everyone here, don't you think?

darthur
08-23-2008, 08:25 PM
You said 'college basketball fans.' That applies to pretty much everyone here, don't you think?

No, absolutely not. It is a statement about general opinion, not a universal statement about the opinion of every college basketball fan in the universe.

For example, if you Google "people think", the top hit is "JSON is not as safe as people think it is". Would you read this as every single person in the world thinks JSON is safer than it is? No, of course not. You would correctly read it as, overall, people think JSON is safer than it is. Why would you treat my statement differently?

But if you insist, I will try to rephrase my statement in a way that you cannot misinterpret even when you try:

I believe the prevailing sentiment among college basketball fans, including those on DBR and some of those who had already posted on this thread, is that the NBA is extremely sloppy and lazy basketball. I think this is false, and I would love a chance to see it tested.

Happy now?

billybreen
08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
No, absolutely not. It is a statement about general opinion, not a universal statement about the opinion of every college basketball fan in the universe.

For example, if you Google "people think", the top hit is "JSON is not as safe as people think it is". Would you read this as every single person in the world thinks JSON is safer than it is? No, of course not. You would correctly read it as, overall, people think JSON is safer than it is. Why would you treat my statement differently?

But if you insist, I will try to rephrase my statement in a way that you cannot misinterpret even when you try:

I believe the prevailing sentiment among college basketball fans, including those on DBR and some of those who had already posted on this thread, is that the NBA is extremely sloppy and lazy basketball. I think this is false, and I would love a chance to see it tested.

Happy now?

That language is much more precise, thanks. You would do well not to jump down the throat of anyone who doesn't agree with poorly articulated blanket statements you make in the future.

darthur
08-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the tip. In the interest of politeness, I will refrain from offering a similar one to you.

KandG
08-23-2008, 09:18 PM

Thank you. The ignorance about the NBA game among college basketball fans (including many on this board) is atrocious. A few of the premises underlying this thread reinforce that point.

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
This thread got way off topic.

Billy Dat
08-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Maybe we can steer it back by talking about the impact this Team USA might have on the NBA and future Team USAs.

While I would hope that representing their country would mean something to these guys, and I think it does, let's remove that from the equation for a moment.

Looking at Team USA through a strictly financial lens, there are some big pluses (and a few significant minuses)

PLUSES:
-By spending a month every other year with the best 12 players in the world, the individual is bound to get better, and be more confident in their play, which should lead to larger contracts with their NBA teams.
-Being on the global stage should make them more attractive to both domestic and foreign advertisers going forward. That should translate to more endorsement money.
-By becoming more of a global presence, they may just be able to hop over to Europe for a year or two at the tail end of their NBA careers to make some large money (kind of the David Beckham move).
-They are in better shape heading into the NBA season (maybe yes, maybe no, see below)
-These guys love to win, at least the guys good enough to make the team, and Team USA affords the chance to win a prestigious tournament every two years (Olynpics and World Championships).

MINUSES:
-They either get hurt or worn down by the extra playing which shortens their careers, etc.
-They don't get enough PT and it hurts their confidence (pure speculation, no proof, unlikely, but had to throw it out there).

As the games grows in worldwide popularity and other countries continue to get better and the USA is taking it seriously, I think we're headed for a real international golden age where the Olympics and World Championships should be great for years to come.

As for K.....I think he's a natural for the USA Basketball Managing Director gig when he decides to retire in 20 years.