PDA

View Full Version : 2:30 AM Sunday Roll Call

roywhite
08-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Okay, guys, who's in for live viewing of the Gold Medal game?

This is a huge game for USA basketball pride, and a legacy game for our beloved Coach K. The players have contributed what is usually time off during the summer, in some cases for 3 summers. Jerry Colangelo and Coach K have worked tirelessly to put together a great team both on and off the court, true ambassadors. But as far as they have come, losing the championship game would make the overall result a disappointment. This is a "must win" game.

Speaking as a "slightly older" (well, maybe not slightly) alum, I can't recall the last time I chose to be up between 2:30 AM and 4:30 AM. Given the occasion, I'm willing to modify my weekend nap schedule, and forego that second glass of wine on Saturday evening.:)

I will be in front of the TV at 2:30 AM Sunday to cheer on our coach and team. Who else is in?

pfrduke
08-22-2008, 07:33 PM

This is a huge game for USA basketball pride, and a legacy game for our beloved Coach K. The players have contributed what is usually time off during the summer, in some cases for 3 summers. Jerry Colangelo and Coach K have worked tirelessly to put together a great team both on and off the court, true ambassadors. But as far as they have come, losing the championship game would make the overall result a disappointment. This is a "must win" game.

Speaking as a "slightly older" (well, maybe not slightly) alum, I can't recall the last time I chose to be up between 2:30 AM and 4:30 AM. Given the occasion, I'm willing to modify my weekend nap schedule, and forego that second glass of wine on Saturday evening.:)

I will be in front of the TV at 2:30 AM Sunday to cheer on our coach and team. Who else is in?

Assuming that they actually show this one live on the West Coast, I'm all about staying up until the wee hours of 11:30 PM to watch the game. ;)

Wander
08-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Of course.

Bob Green
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Count me in for sure as the game is 3:30 Sunday afternoon in my time zone.

CameronBornAndBred
08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm watching. Gonna be at work shortly after, too. I will drool all over my first client's keyboard in celebration or defeat..but it will be drool with feeling.

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Assuming that they actually show this one live on the West Coast, I'm all about staying up until the wee hours of 11:30 PM to watch the game. ;)

Ditto, but if the game is delayed, I'll probably try to watch it online at work.

billybreen
08-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I'll be there. I say we make it a SnrubChat (http://www.snrub.com/) night.

pfrduke
08-22-2008, 08:58 PM

Word. Punchy 3am snrubchatting ought to be entertaining.

DevilDan
08-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm down for the Tip-Off ... GO USA !

billybreen
08-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Word. Punchy 3am snrubchatting ought to be entertaining.

Amen. What say you thoaty? Can you get drunk for Snrub and give us a show?

wolfpackdevil
08-22-2008, 10:26 PM

I live here in Durham and I will be up at 2:30 watchin the USA beat Spain by 34

rthomas
08-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Dvr! Dvr! Dvr!

weezie
08-22-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm in... but there ain't no computer in the weezie boudoir so I won't be chatting. Hope the husband doesn't mind the TV glare.

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM

Amen, and great post...and great suggestion Billybreen.

Count me IN. I will be there, in force, but I'm not foregoing any wine, beer, etc.!

This will be fun and a DBR First!

-EJ

moonpie23
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM
i'm in...

Edouble
08-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Given the occasion, I'm willing to modify my weekend nap schedule, and forego that second glass of wine on Saturday evening.:)

I'll be on my third or fourth glass of wine by then, but I will be watching. I'll keep a spare bottle of Roederer handy for when we take the gold.

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 11:28 PM
I'll be on my third or fourth glass of wine by then, but I will be watching. I'll keep a spare bottle of Roederer handy for when we take the gold.

I'm in on that!

-EJ

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Wait a minute. Just to be clear. The game is 2:30 a.m. Sunday? Not Monday? In other words, about 27 hours from now?

Not Sunday night, after midnight?

In other words, this is basically a late, late, Saturday night game, right?

-EJ

Duke4Ever32
08-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Wait a minute. Just to be clear. The game is 2:30 a.m. Sunday? Not Monday? In other words, about 27 hours from now?

Not Sunday night, after midnight?

In other words, this is basically a late, late, Saturday night game, right?

-EJ

Yep - it's on 27 hours from now...NOT late Sunday night! I'm reading these posts from people talking about work soon afterwards, and I'm hoping they realize it's on late tomorrow (Sat) night!

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Yep - it's on 27 hours from now...NOT late Sunday night! I'm reading these posts from people talking about work soon afterwards, and I'm hoping they realize it's on late tomorrow night!

I most certainly didn't, and feel rather like an idiot now. I would like to retract any comments made in any thread about the poor timing of the final game, and I'll most certainly be up watching!

I'm glad someone that felt like using some common sense pointed this out, I never would have thought about it.

billybreen
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm in on that!

-EJ

I'll be drinking Leffe Blonde.

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I will try to stay awake tomorrow night. But I do have my DVR set just in case I don't make it.

billybreen
08-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Now that everyone realizes when the game is being played, there are no excuses. It's still the weekend, people. Let's do this thing!

billybreen
08-22-2008, 11:56 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/image.php?u=614&dateline=1219427330

Great dog. What breed is that? It's hard to tell from the small image.

sue71, esq
08-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Ok I'm in then. Getting up early for Disneyland should be fun on Sunday, but I'll have to sacrifice.

Of course this is assuming that NBC doesn't jack up the West Coast. :rolleyes:

balkan boy
08-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Count me in for sure as the game is 3:30 Sunday afternoon in my time zone.

I'm with Bob -- no problem for me to get up at 8:30 Sunday morning to watch....

quickgtp
08-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I am in as well. This should be interesting. I haven't voluntarily stayed up that late for some time now!

cspan37421
08-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Dumb question, but is NBC broadcasting this nationally at 2:30am (ET), or is it on a cable affiliate, or is it up to local affiliates to choose whether they show it or not? I'm not sure our TV guide (from the newspaper, not the official magazine) will list what they're showing at that time since it is technically on Sunday, and the guide only goes through Saturday.

merry
08-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I'll probably be watching (and maybe chatting). I've had a bad cold that's been preventing me from sleeping (it's like if I lie down I can't breathe) so I'm kind of excited that there will be something to do at 2:30am besides try not to wake the rest of the household up.

MChambers
08-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Dumb question, but is NBC broadcasting this nationally at 2:30am (ET), or is it on a cable affiliate, or is it up to local affiliates to choose whether they show it or not? I'm not sure our TV guide (from the newspaper, not the official magazine) will list what they're showing at that time since it is technically on Sunday, and the guide only goes through Saturday.
Here in DC the game will be broadcast at 2:30 a.m. Sunday on the local affiliate, according to today's sports page.

Indoor66
08-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Here in DC the game will be broadcast at 2:30 a.m. Sunday on the local affiliate, according to today's sports page.

2:30 a.m., Sunday (Saturday night) here in south Florida.

Lavabe
08-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Off to find a few Midwestern brews today so that I can partake in the Snrubchat.

Who will be our favorite bouncer?:D

Just tell us where to find all those great basketball emoticons!
Cheers,
Lavabe

beltwayBD
08-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm going for it. Good ol' 2:30 AM here in DC.

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Great dog. What breed is that? It's hard to tell from the small image.

Thank you. She is a 3 year old Portuguese Water Dog. They come in two different coat types the curlies and the wavy's. Nico is a wavy and they don't shed either. Years ago they were used on fishing boats back in Portugal they helped the fishermen retrieve nets, and send messages boat to boat and they helped get fish into nets.

Nico is a certified therapy dog, and an agility dog and she also does water with her National breed club.

Here is a picture of her.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2452877560045548882fDowUp

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2068065270045548882SXSwTl

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-23-2008, 09:12 AM

I hope so. On my dishnetwork guide it says basketball at 2:30 am. I hope NBC will air it. They better air it.

beltwayBD
08-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll be drinking Leffe Blonde.

Ha, I'll be drinking something with caffeine!!! Maybe green tea. :)

billybreen
08-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Thank you. She is a 3 year old Portuguese Water Dog. They come in two different coat types the curlies and the wavy's. Nico is a wavy and they don't shed either. Years ago they were used on fishing boats back in Portugal they helped the fishermen retrieve nets, and send messages boat to boat and they helped get fish into nets.

Nico is a certified therapy dog, and an agility dog and she also does water with her National breed club.

Good gravy! My dog is a certified lazybones. That's one heck of a CV.

I had a friend growing up who had a PWD. Very cool breed.

billybreen
08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Off to find a few Midwestern brews today so that I can partake in the Snrubchat.

Who will be our favorite bouncer?:D

Just tell us where to find all those great basketball emoticons!
Cheers,
Lavabe

I'll be bouncing. Haven't heard from loopy or tb.

Edouble
08-23-2008, 11:09 AM

I'd say there's a very strong chance that it's nationally televised. The women's gold medal match is being televised right now, during Saturday morning hours. Since they're putting the women on nationally during somewhat popular viewing hours, I'd be willing to bet that the men's gold medal match will be on during the middle of the night, when very few people are watching anyway (well, depending on your time zone, sorry for the East Coast bias). NBC has been talking about it like it is a big deal (which it is), so there's a good chance that it will be shown as a national telecast.

chrishoke
08-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Count this 54 year old codger in - Yuengling is the beverage of choice.

cf-62
08-23-2008, 12:31 PM

I'm in!!!!!!!

Lavabe
08-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Last of the summer fruity beers: Schlafly Raspberry Hefeweissen. Decided against the Leineys and the Lindemans Lambic.

Maybe I'll start off with Goose Island Bitter-style Ale.

Is this the "Ymm, Beer" thread?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Edouble
08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Is this the "Ymm, Beer" thread?

It started with wine and champagne, but it appears that beer is generally the drink of choice among those who have posted. ;)

BD80
08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I flew to California so I could see the game at a reasonable time (actually, I have a trial here in San Diego starting Monday).

I like Edouble's idea:

I'll keep a spare bottle of Roederer handy for when we take the gold.

but that does raise the question of what will be handy in April when Duke is in the championship game?

I will definitely have a bottle of wine for the game, but forgot the corkscrew (unforgivable), so my choices will be limited to screw tops (I know, not that limiting).

Would it offend the Weauxgods if I were to drink champagne while I watched the gold medal game? Then I wouldn't need a corkscrew!

mgtr
08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm in. And I think that anything that you drink which makes you happy is fine. For me its Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay.

Indoor66
08-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Some of this has the ring of effete snobbery! :D

sue71, esq
08-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Would it offend the Weauxgods if I were to drink champagne while I watched the gold medal game? Then I wouldn't need a corkscrew!

I think that depends. Do you normally drink sparkling/champagne, other than for special occasions? Will you order a glass when you're out?

I do. :)

However if it's only reserved for special occasions, I'd be wary.

What currently worries me about the Weauxgods is the number of people saying when the US wins the gold...

Edouble
08-23-2008, 02:51 PM
but that does raise the question of what will be handy in April when Duke is in the championship game?

I will definitely have a bottle of wine for the game, but forgot the corkscrew (unforgivable), so my choices will be limited to screw tops (I know, not that limiting).

Krug and cigars in April.

Screwtops are fine. We have to start getting used to them.

There's never an incorrect time to drink sparkling wine/champagne.

Uncle Drew
08-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for listing the game time and explaining the time difference so I don't miss the game tonight. But if any of you are actually planning to wake up and watch the game istead of staying up you really need to take your vitamins! It's Saturday night people! You shouldn't even be thinking about a bed until about 4:00AM!

That being said, anyone planning to consume alcohol tonight DON'T drink and drive and down the stuff SLOWLY. It's a marathon not a sprint, you have to make it to the finish line.

"There's never an incorrect time to drink sparkling wine/champagne."Ummm, there is for me, and that would be any time. I'm allergic to grapes. One sip of wine and I break out in hives, a glass would make my throat swell to the point I can't breathe and need a trip to the ER.

billybreen
08-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I flew to California so I could see the game at a reasonable time (actually, I have a trial here in San Diego starting Monday).

I, for one, hope you are acquitted.

Edouble
08-23-2008, 03:20 PM
That being said, anyone planning to consume alcohol tonight DON'T drink and drive and down the stuff SLOWLY. It's a marathon, not a sprint you have to make it to the finish line.

Very good point sir, although all the bars around here close at 2:00, so game time is past last call. All my drinking will be done in home and at a slow pace... unless anyone wants to come up with a Gold Medal Hoops Drinking Game.

Wander
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
All my drinking will be done in home and at a slow pace... unless anyone wants to come up with a Gold Medal Hoops Drinking Game.

Take a drink every time:

> Kobe shoots and misses in the first 7 seconds of the shot clock
> An announcer makes a reference to when he played in the Olympics
> Howard misses a free throw
> It is mentioned that Rubio is only 17 years old
> It is mentioned that Spain is playing zone, but didn't play zone against the US in pool play
> It is mentioned that Lebron is the vocal leader, but Kobe is the leader by action
> It is mentioned that Lebron is like a quarterback on defense
> The word "redeem" is mentioned (advanced players only)

If Boozer enters the game, you must consume all alcohol within a ten foot radius immediately. If Boozer enters the game in a quarter other than the fourth and the US is leading by less than 30, you must consume all alcohol within a twenty-five foot radius immediately instead.

Additionally, you must drink an entire cup of water whenever Phelps is mentioned. You may not go to the bathroom, except at the end of a quarter (advanced players: you may not go to the bathroom until the game is over)

billybreen
08-23-2008, 04:01 PM
> Boozer enters the game

Good thing you provided other criteria. If this was all you had, you'd end the game as sober as a judge.

Uncle Drew
08-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Take a drink every time:

> Kobe shoots and misses in the first 7 seconds of the shot clock
> An announcer makes a reference to when he played in the Olympics
> It is mentioned that Rubio is only 17 years old
> Boozer enters the game
> It is mentioned that Spain is playing zone, but didn't play zone against the US in pool play
> Howard misses a free throw
> The word "redeem" is mentioned (advanced players only)

Additionally, you must drink an entire cup of water whenever Phelps is mentioned.

Wander by these rules I think it's considered binge drinking. But I guess I need to make a trip to the liquor store. Patron tequilla here I come.

billybreen
08-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Wander by these rules I think it's considered binge drinking. But I guess I need to make a trip to the liquor store. Patron tequilla here I come.

You should also pick up a catheter, especially with that water rule.

Wander
08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Good thing you provided other criteria. If this was all you had, you'd end the game as sober as a judge.

Good point. I have changed the rule.

billybreen
08-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Good point. I have changed the rule.

Awesome! I'm putting the ER on speed dial.

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
If Boozer enters the game, you must consume all alcohol within a ten foot radius immediately. If Boozer enters the game in a quarter other than the fourth and the US is leading by less than 30, you must consume all alcohol within a twenty-five foot radius immediately instead.

I'm going to be laughing for another 15 minutes!

wilson
08-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll be there. I'm watching online, so as to make use of earphones and not disturb the lady. Prolly not boozing though...I need to lay off the sauce for a while.

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I'll be there. I'm watching online, so as to make use of earphones and not disturb the lady. Prolly not boozing though...I need to lay off the sauce for a while.

Don't worry about the earphones. No commentary online.

wilson
08-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Don't worry about the earphones. No commentary online.

Really? I was unaware...not sure how I feel about that.

Cavlaw
08-23-2008, 05:10 PM
At some point we should think about setting up a Ventrillo or Teamspeak channel for events like this.

BB, I assume you're into the latest technologies - any idea what it would cost to be able to host a room with a cap of say, 30 people?

DBFAN
08-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm in

Go Team USA

If we win, we may see some bad fortunes around here change dramatically. Can you imagine the status our Coach K will have after this. I know that I want everybody to cheer for the USA, but I have a feeling that those 10 miles down the road may not be looking foward to this as much as we are.

Of course if something crazy happens and we lose, we would have to eat crow for years.:cool:

Indoor66
08-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm in

Go Team USA

If we win, we may see some bad fortunes around here change dramatically. Can you imagine the status our Coach K will have after this. I know that I want everybody to cheer for the USA, but I have a feeling that those 10 miles down the road may not be looking foward to this as much as we are.

Of course if something crazy happens and we lose, we would have to eat crow for years.:cool:

Coaches often get too much credit and always get too much blame.

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm in

Go Team USA

Their guys had their shot. Didn't work out so well.

throatybeard
08-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Amen. What say you thoaty? Can you get drunk for Snrub and give us a show?

Games like this are what Tivo was made for.

I tell you what, if I wake up to pee in the middle of the night, I'll log in.

jimbonelson
08-23-2008, 07:08 PM
i am in:)

blazindw
08-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Me and some of my Duke friends, after a long night of partying that will begin shortly, will gather around one of our TVs to watch the game live. It's the only way to do it. Go USA!

devildeac
08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Games like this are what Tivo was made for.

I tell you what, if I wake up to pee in the middle of the night, I'll log in.

Sounds like you need to have several Schlafly's before retiring for the evening then to guarantee an early moring pee call:o;).

billybreen
08-23-2008, 08:04 PM
At some point we should think about setting up a Ventrillo or Teamspeak channel for events like this.

BB, I assume you're into the latest technologies - any idea what it would cost to be able to host a room with a cap of say, 30 people?

I've never looked into it. For some reason, that doesn't really appeal to me -- I think text based communication is about as social as I get. ;)

billybreen
08-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you need to have several Schlafly's before retiring for the evening then to guarantee an early moring pee call:o;).

It also sounds like throaty is a sitter.

Ben63
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I'll be watching

adam
08-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Assuming it's being shown live in Boise, count me in. :)

Duke4Ever32
08-24-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm all about it too. 1.5 hours...GO USA!!

ugadevil
08-24-2008, 01:27 AM
1 hour away from gametime! This is when I wish there was a Waffle House close by.

snowdenscold
08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
I got 1 hour of sleep last night then took a 1.5 hour nap this afternoon - if I can continue to hold out a bit longer I'm there.

roywhite
08-24-2008, 02:12 AM
USA defeats Brazil 3-1 to win Gold in Volleyball.

Great story for the team and Coach McCutcheon, who tragically lost his father-in-law in stabbing incident nearly 2 weeks ago.

Good omen for the hoops team!

billybreen
08-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Let's do this thing, America.

Acymetric
08-24-2008, 02:22 AM
I do wish they had commentary online...I don't really understand why they don't. But at least I can watch.

The Slamming Butcher
08-24-2008, 02:27 AM
It's 02:30, and I am here. Let's go USA! Let's go K!!!

billybreen
08-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Where are all the snrubbers?

Coballs
08-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Here we go. I'm locked in.

balkan boy
08-24-2008, 02:48 AM
man, these british announcers on eurosport suck.

love to see us pick and roll them to death. d. wade and c. paul looking good these last few minutes.

MrBisonDevil
08-24-2008, 02:59 AM
I chugged a Red Bull just to watch this game. Not disappointing so far (except for the rep whistles).

I can't wait until Ricky Rubio (ESP Team) makes it to the NBA (if he decides to come state side in 2yrs). This 17yr has some serious ball-handling skills. ESPN The Mag did an article about him recently. He is the real deal.

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 03:01 AM
I took a nap beforehand. Man the whistles are tight...

balkan boy
08-24-2008, 03:05 AM
I took a nap beforehand. Man the whistles are tight...

the eurosport announcers are saying the opposite, crying for fouls on the US like a Spanish football (soccer) fan. where were they during the argentina game...

Cdog923
08-24-2008, 03:11 AM
A few notes:

- It's good to see Dwayne Wade playing like Flash again. He and Lebron are willing us to the Gold.

- Inconsistancy, thy name is "FIBA Reffing".

- The Spanish need to play Argentina in order to find out which team whines about calls the most.

dukeballer2294
08-24-2008, 03:18 AM
im confident we will eventually pull ahead because it is becoming a very high-scoring game which is just our style.

studdlee10
08-24-2008, 03:23 AM
God I hate the way Spain is playing ball. They are taking cheap shot after cheap shot on our players. They are undercutting shooters after 3pters and they are bodying up all our players on picks. I particularly love the way Gasol has tried to be tough. There isn't a softer player in the NBA than Pau Gasol. We absolutely need Howard to take it to him early in the 2nd half.

That said...Fernandez has kept Spain in this game. I don't expect either the USA or Spain to continue this ridiculous shooting.
Also, can we quit the Ricky Rubio = Number 1 pick hype? Kid is not that good. Sure he's heady and experienced, but he has ONE go-to move, the behind the back dribble, and his horrid from the outside. Their offense runs so much smoother when he's sitting. I'd hate the be the GM who drafts that kid over John Wall or Brandon Knight.

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Also, can we quit the Ricky Rubio = Number 1 pick hype? Kid is not that good. Sure he's heady and experienced, but he has ONE go-to move, the behind the back dribble, and his horrid from the outside. Their offense runs so much smoother when he's sitting. I'd hate the be the GM who drafts that kid over John Wall or Brandon Knight.

Keep in mind the kid is only 17...or is he older?

Oriole Way
08-24-2008, 03:29 AM
God I hate the way Spain is playing ball. They are taking cheap shot after cheap shot on our players. They are undercutting shooters after 3pters and they are bodying up all our players on picks. I particularly love the way Gasol has tried to be tough. There isn't a softer player in the NBA than Pau Gasol. We absolutely need Howard to take it to him early in the 2nd half.

That said...Fernandez has kept Spain in this game. I don't expect either the USA or Spain to continue this ridiculous shooting.

Eh... I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Rubio.

Kid is just 17 and has both a finger and his wrist taped up on his right hand. He blew by Jason Kidd early in the game and finished a tough layup in between two players.

Considering he has a couple years to work on his shot, he has a lot of promise.

roywhite
08-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Keep in mind the kid is only 17...or is he older?

Yeah, he's 17; he'll be a good player, but the international guard that impressed me most was that Patrick Mills from Australia, who will be a sophomore at St. Mary's in California. Fast, good ball handler, and good scorer.

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2008, 03:32 AM
ok I'm awake...geez it's close!

studdlee10
08-24-2008, 03:32 AM
He blew by Jason Kidd early in the game and finished a tough layup in between two players.

Considering he has a couple years to work on his shot, he has a lot of promise.

As a Mavs fan I hate to admit this, but at this point, any PG in the league could abuse Kidd. The fact that Rubio hasn't done it more consistently is what is more telling than the fact that he did it once/twice.

He just doesn't have the athleticsm and scoring touch to be an elite PG in the NBA. He's great for international ball, but in a league where athleticism and one on one is king, he just doesn't have enough of it. I can see how he'll be a solid player in the league, but at this point, he looks like a more hyped up Shaun Livingston.

weezie
08-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Are there any American refs in this game? Any NBA guys?

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 03:41 AM
I just wish Doug Collins would quit using the term "loosey goosey".

balkan boy
08-24-2008, 03:41 AM
our boys have got to step it up on defense here....

i bet that's what k is saying during this timeout right here...

where's Lebron?

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 03:56 AM
We're playing tight...

roywhite
08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Well, this is a lot of work. Come on, guys.

They're making Navarro look like an All-star. Getting in the lane too easily.

Oriole Way
08-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Ridiculous that two great passing points in Paul and D. Williams, on back-to-back fast breaks, refused to pass to an open trailer and instead took tough shots.

Both of those would have been huge buckets for us.

Edouble
08-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I just wish Doug Collins would quit using the term "loosey goosey".

True, annoying.

One quarter left.

Go USA!!!

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:14 AM
We are letting them stay in this on too many occasions...

Edouble
08-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Sweet Redemption!

cascadedevil
08-24-2008, 04:31 AM
U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A

Can I vote for the Wade-James ticket for President!!!!

The Slamming Butcher
08-24-2008, 04:41 AM
It's 04:40, and I'm still here. And I ain't going nowhere 'til I see K get his well deserved GOLD!!!U!S!A!!! D!U!K!E!!!

mgtr
08-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Whew! How can any of us go to sleep after that? Its enough to drive a grown man to drink! Go USA!

Stray Gator
08-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Definitely worth staying up to witness! But now my adrenaline level is so elevated, I won't be able to fall asleep for at least another hour. Bring out those gold medals and hoist Old Glory!

Edouble
08-24-2008, 04:49 AM
It's true. I took a nap at half time and I am so pumped, I don't know what to do with myself. Go shoot free throws?

BD80
08-24-2008, 04:50 AM
No other coach would have won the gold.

Now, back to recruiting! :)

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Great game, so happy I watched it. G'nite folks!
USA USA USA USA

Lavabe
08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Great game, so happy I watched it. G'nite folks!
USA USA USA USA

Ahh... the Snrubchat was rolling last night, thereby keeping our post counts low. If only Snrubchat posts counted towards our post counts! EarlJam and Sue would be Billybreen level by now.;)

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I fell asleep during the 1st Quarter. But I did manage to stay awake through the rest of the game.:D

ACCBBallFan
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Guess it's a good thinkg I answered the bell at 2:42 AM. Score was 22-22 when I turned game on, and US never trailed from that point forward that I recall, though I admit it was early.

I actually started TIVO from the beginning at 2:42 if truth be told.

Colangelo has to change the spelling of his name to start with a "K" as the three other diffrerence makers were Kobe, Kidd and coach K. Colangelo gets props for the three year commitment mandate, Kobe for the ice water in his veins at the end, Kidd for being 56-0 and coach K for making sure everybody executed his game plan.

DukePA
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I woke up during the first quarter and so wanted to join you guys online, but was afraid to jinx the team. I scared the hell out of my cat and dog when I yelled for a rebound when the game was close. I'm sure I was the only person awake on my block.

GO USA!!! GO COACH K!!! GO DUKE!!!

DukePA
08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Guess it's a good thinkg I answered the bell at 2:42 AM. Score was 22-22 when I turned game on, and US never trailed from that point forward that I recall, though I admit it was early.

I actually started TIVO from the beginning at 2:42 if truth be told.

Strong work BBallFan!

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Ahh... the Snrubchat was rolling last night, thereby keeping our post counts low. If only Snrubchat posts counted towards our post counts! EarlJam and Sue would be Billybreen level by now.;)

I woulda been on, but if I was chatting, I was sure I'd miss something!

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Online chatting = minor leagues of posting but I guess when you are PW'ing the effort is the same...:D

moonpie23
08-24-2008, 12:04 PM
ugh...i feel like hammered whale-poop....

billybreen
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM

Man, how were you back up at 9am for this post? I just woke up.

ACCBBallFan
08-24-2008, 12:44 PM
ACC did its job, not only Coach K but CP3 with clutch FTs, Chris Bosh and Carlos at the ready. Had the feeling if Marc Gasol got one more take down without any foul being called, that Boozer might get to play his enforcer role. sicne Spain atypically plays two bigs.

USA had so many weapons, two very good ones, Boozer and Redd were barely used, but to their credit would have been ready if needed.

devildeac
08-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Man, how were you back up at 9am for this post? I just woke up.

He's an insomniac;)(plus I'd bet he only had 1 Goose Island brew and is waiting to savor a Burning River Pale Ale this evening for closing ceremonies:D)

Lavabe
08-24-2008, 04:12 PM
He's an insomniac;)(plus I'd bet he only had 1 Goose Island brew and is waiting to savor a Burning River Pale Ale this evening for closing ceremonies:D)

Accuracy note 1: 1 Honker & 1 Schlafly Raspberry.
Accuracy note 2: I do NOT have the Burning River. That's NEXT week's brew.
Accuracy note 3: No trouble falling asleep... STAYING asleep is anoher issue completely.

devildeac
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Accuracy note 1: 1 Honker & 1 Schlafly Raspberry.
Accuracy note 2: I do NOT have the Burning River. That's NEXT week's brew.
Accuracy note 3: No trouble falling asleep... STAYING asleep is anoher issue completely.

1. That's a BIG night for you;)
2. good plan-buy some Edmund Fitzgerald and Commodore Perry, too
3. need to tote/carry and unpack more boxes to elevate the fatigue/exhaustion factor:D

(what, no emoticons in your post;))

Lavabe
08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
3. need to tote/carry and unpack more boxes to elevate the fatigue/exhaustion factor

<snip>

(what, no emoticons in your post;))

We have loads to do, and ILoveJimmy is heading to ATL this week. At this point, I am devoting my energies to my real work.:eek:

I am SOO tired of boxes.:(

FWIW, EarlJam packs a mean box! Thanks again EJ!! :) We really appreciate it!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I know it will be an early night for me. I could fall asleep right now.

Bluedog
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
It's true. I took a nap at half time and I am so pumped, I don't know what to do with myself. Go shoot free throws?

Edouble and MrBisonDevil get quoted in the Herald-Sun (http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-983064.cfm?)! Wow!

"At www.DukeBasketballReport.com, a message board thread hosted a "roll call" for hearty souls staying up for the game. At 2:59 a.m., one poster said he "chugged a Red Bull" to help his cause. At 4:49 a.m., shortly after the triumphant scene in Beijing, another poster still wasn't ready to turn in for the night (or is that the morning?).

'I am so pumped, I don't know what to do with myself," he wrote. "Go shoot free throws?' "

hahaha. :D

billybreen
08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Edouble and MrBisonDevil get quoted in the Herald-Sun (http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-983064.cfm?)! Wow!

"At www.DukeBasketballReport.com, a message board thread hosted a "roll call" for hearty souls staying up for the game. At 2:59 a.m., one poster said he "chugged a Red Bull" to help his cause. At 4:49 a.m., shortly after the triumphant scene in Beijing, another poster still wasn't ready to turn in for the night (or is that the morning?).

'I am so pumped, I don't know what to do with myself," he wrote. "Go shoot free throws?' "

Phew, good thing they didn't click through to the unfiltered snrubchat.

Edouble
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up Bluedog. I guess I owe somebody some free throws.

jacone21
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Phew, good thing they didn't click through to the unfiltered snrubchat.

I don't know... It might have been cool to see them reprint some of the creative insults that were launched at the Spaniards. I'm still laughing about Ricky Menudo.