PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Basketball - Spain Thread (Gold Medal Game)

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Alright, it is time for the Gold Medal Game.

We beat Spain by 37 earlier in the tournament and the spaniards just squeaked by Lithuania. Thoughts and comments here...

(I win, billy breen)

grossbus
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
this game will be at 2:30am EDT, right? too late for me!

billybreen
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM

We beat Spain by 37 earlier in the tournament and the spaniards just squeaked by Lithuania. Thoughts and comments here...

(I win, billy breen)

Indeed you do! Congrats on the quick draw. ;)

roywhite
08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Indeed you do! Congrats on the quick draw. ;)

Breen and Blueintheface move on to the medal round in thread posting. :)

CameronBornAndBred
08-22-2008, 12:39 PM
I wonder what the Crazies would come up with in response to the eye-squint poster if the final were played in Cameron.

GO USA

moonpie23
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
focus and defense....

and if you're not staying up to watch, you're with the terrorists....

weezie
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
this game will be at 2:30am EDT, right? too late for me!

Why is this game not at a reasonable US zone time? Why not play it at 9:00pm their time?
For cryin' out loud.....

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Why is this game not at a reasonable US zone time? Why not play it at 9:00pm their time?
For cryin' out loud.....

Oh... I dunno... maybe because the game's played IN CHINA? :)

2:30 AM EDT = 2:30 PM Sunday in China. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Bluedevilsfanforever
08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think I can stay up that late. Does anyone know if they will re-air the game on NBC?

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh... I dunno... maybe because the game's played IN CHINA? :)

2:30 AM EDT = 2:30 PM Sunday in China. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

True. 8 p.m. is also a reasonable time, and it would be a reasonable time in the U.S. at 8 a.m. Why cater to the U.S.? Well, how many audiences that would watch are bigger than the EST audience? Especially considering the teams that are playing, the answer seems like it would be obvious. I understand that things shouldn't and can't revolve around the states, but a 2 a.m game isn't just inconvenient for most east coast Americans, its impossible. If it was an hour or two earlier, or at least 2 hours later, the problem would be solved, going from a night without sleep to a late night or early morning.

There may be reasons why this is impossible, what are they?

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
True. 8 p.m. is also a reasonable time, and it would be a reasonable time in the U.S. at 8 a.m. Why cater to the U.S.? Well, how many audiences that would watch are bigger than the EST audience? Especially considering the teams that are playing, the answer seems like it would be obvious. I understand that things shouldn't and can't revolve around the states, but a 2 a.m game isn't just inconvenient for most east coast Americans, its impossible. If it was an hour or two earlier, or at least 2 hours later, the problem would be solved, going from a night without sleep to a late night or early morning.

There may be reasons why this is impossible, what are they?

8 or 9 pm Sunday night game is not a reasonable time to start 3 hours of game + medal ceremony. We all hated Sunday night ACC games (well, I did) on FoxSports, why would you want to subject the Chinese people, who are just as interested in watching this game as those of us in the U.S. to that? Just suck it up and watch the game at 2am (or 11pm in my case, unless Comcast decides it still hates me) and call in sick the next day :D

Isn't the game the last event of the olympics? Thought I heard this somewhere...

Ooh good call, playing this game at 8pm local time is also impossible since the game is played on the last day of the games. You'd have to delay the closing ceremonies.

Oops I done broke the space-time continuum again...

PSurprise
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Isn't the game the last event of the olympics? Thought I heard this somewhere...

Nesto
08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

(I win, billy breen)

US by 40. Spain will fight hard, but it will be in vain.

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Ooh good call, playing this game at 8pm local time is also impossible since the game is played on the last day of the games. You'd have to delay the closing ceremonies.

Minus the sarcasm, I did ask for a reason why the time couldn't be changed. This is one, so alright I mean, hypothetically they could start it at noon, but that's fine.

Seeing as I spend from 9:30 am to 8:30 pm in class I don't know that calling in sick would work, and running on 2 hours sleep might not go so hot either.

billybreen
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM

That's mind bottling.

Indeed. Seems pretty arrogant to expect the game and closing ceremonies to be scheduled on our behalf.

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 02:04 PM
That's mind bottling.

Indeed. Seems pretty arrogant to expect the game and closing ceremonies to be scheduled on our behalf.

I did mention after he said that that I didn't realize the closing ceremonies were right after, and I conceded that they couldn't schedule it any later because of the ceremony. On the other hand, could they schedule it say, one or two hours early without having to move the closing ceremonies?

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I did mention after he said that that I didn't realize the closing ceremonies were right after, and I conceded that they couldn't schedule it any later because of the ceremony. On the other hand, could they schedule it say, one or two hours early without having to move the closing ceremonies?

Sorry if I came off as sarcastic - I added some smileys after re-reading my posts and thinking I may come off as being rude, but guess I can't win either way :o

I think the Bronze medal game (12 pm China time) has to go before the Gold medal game, so that's also not possible.

ugadevil
08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Just treat the situtation like it's Duke playing in the Great Alaskan Shootout!:cool:

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Sorry if I came off as sarcastic - I added some smileys after re-reading my posts and thinking I may come off as being rude, but guess I can't win either way :o

I think the Bronze medal game (12 pm China time) has to go before the Gold medal game, so that's also not possible.

Fair enough. I guess my consolation is being back in Durham for a year, I may miss the U.S. team, but I still get to see some Duke basketball, plus its a perfect year to be around for football right?

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm willing to bet Spain has a few tricks up their sleeves... but I wouldn't be surprised if K does too.

Pam
08-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Since the game is played at 2:30 in the afternoon in China, it will 2:30 Sunday morning here on the East coast - so just consider it a very late Saturday night! Sleep all day Sunday and neither work nor school will suffer.

The early odds have the US team by 20 and half. That will probably move around some, but seems about right to me. Those guys have been right on the money on most games - amazingly close or dead on.

Oh, and for those with Comcast, here in the DC area, I am finding the games on channel 222 - OBBAL - it is a channel that is showing only Olympic basketball and they replay games all day!

Go USA!!!!!

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Oh, and for those with Comcast, here in the DC area, I am finding the games on channel 222 - OBBAL - it is a channel that is showing only Olympic basketball and they replay games all day!

According to the email I got from Comcast SFBay area, they don't have the bball channel. I think my work internets connection goes through NY, so I might be able to watch it at work, though I'd have to get permission to stay past midnight and such...

BlueintheFace
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
any word on whether calderon is playing? I haven't heard anything.

BD80
08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
any word on whether calderon is playing? I haven't heard anything.

ESPN is reporting that Calderon is out for the gold medal game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/news/story?id=3550090

He has a small muscle tear in his right thigh that should heal in 7 to 10 days but could get much worse if he plays. Bryan Colangelo (Jerry's son and Raptor's GM) is following the issue closely and states that Calderon is "definitely out."

Edouble
08-23-2008, 03:01 PM

Go USA!!!!!

I've been heavily using the same channel here in Richmond too, for the last two weeks.

US over Spain: 108-85

BlueintheFace
08-24-2008, 03:22 AM
wild first half... refs are ridiculous. they are calling EVERYTHING....69-61

roywhite
08-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Gotta tighten up on defense. Breen and Collins are right---we need LeBron in there, and his defense is a big part of it.

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Wade was amazing in the first half...

eddiehaskell
08-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Oh crap! It's a 2 point game.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

eddiehaskell
08-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Rudy Hernandez is good! That was a sick dunk he did on Dwight Howard.

devildownunder
08-24-2008, 04:13 AM
with about 8 minutes to go and the US up by 7, the network covering the Olympics in Australia has dropped coverage entirely to go to the news. Can someone please post what's happening here? You guys can update quicker than espn.com.

Thanks (from an angry American)

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:15 AM
111-104 1:52 to play Navarro at the line

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:17 AM
113-105 1 minute to go Chris Paul to the line

Duvall
08-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Fun fact: delay offense more effective with Kobe Bryant.

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:19 AM
115-107 26 seconds Chris Paul to the line again

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Scratch that Kobe to the line sunk them both 117-107

devildownunder
08-24-2008, 04:21 AM
115-107 26 seconds Chris Paul to the line again

I can't believe what channel 7 has done.

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:23 AM
118-107 the final

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:25 AM
I can't believe what channel 7 has done.

There must have been a technical when Chris Paul was fouled because Kobe shot free throws first and then Chris.

Dumping of the Gatorade with an 11 point lead...

ice-9
08-24-2008, 04:25 AM
Wow, for a minute I thought I was watching a Duke game in the NCAA tourney. Duke #1 seed vs. some lower seed playing out of their minds: crazy runner shots that go swish, insane super long distance contested 3-pointers, so many offensive rebounds, and of course, us missing easy layups.

But USA prevails and wins 118-107.

moonpie23
08-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Freaking A!!!

YmoBeThere
08-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Wow, for a minute I thought I was watching a Duke game in the NCAA tourney. Duke #1 seed vs. some lower seed playing out of their minds: crazy runner shots that go swish, insane super long distance contested 3-pointers, so many offensive rebounds, and of course, us missing easy layups.

I felt exactly the same way...

A-Tex Devil
It was awesome to see how excited the best players in the world were. I'm not sure the Olympics will ever be as important as a an NBA ring to a lot of those guys, but it looked pretty important to them at the end of that game. THey celebrated it like an NBA championship.

Congrats, guys.

CameronBornAndBred
Congrats to the entire team, what a hell of a game! USA USA USA!!!

Vincetaylor
U r the man!! We are and have been lucky to have you. Congrats!!

devildownunder
08-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Down the stretch, it looks like we made every big play we had to, big shots from deep, free throws, all of it. That's doubly satisfying after hearing australia's andrew gaze make the absurd comment that this team and players had never been challenged IN ALL OF THEIR LIVES because they have all been such great players throughout their careers. So now we would see what pressure would do to them.

I guess the NBA playoffs and ncaa tournament aren't pressure. Oh well. We don't have to take any more crap from anybody around the world about hoops.

DOUBLE GOLD FOR THE US. MEN AND WOMEN! TWO TEAMS WE CAN BE PROUD OF IN EVERY WAY!!!!!

YES!!!!!

eddiehaskell
08-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Wow! What a great game. I could watch those 2 teams go at it all day!

That was pretty funny when Kobe poured some water on coach K's head. :D

moonpie23
08-24-2008, 04:36 AM
someone, please........find out when coach K is coming back to RDU......

The Slamming Butcher
08-24-2008, 04:38 AM
I have never been more proud to be a Duke fan.

BlueintheFace
08-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Kobe should just come to Duke now... does that violate any NCAA regulations?

Jarhead
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
No, but it is always on the last day. I believe that one of the equestrian events is the final event.