PDA

View Full Version : Little League World Series

micah75
08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Has anyone been following this? The team from Lake Charles, Louisiana has an outstanding pitcher who throws the ball 80-81 mph, equivalent to 103-104 mph in MLB. 5'9" and 155 lbs, and I'm assuming he's no more than 12 or 13. The name is Kennon Fontenot. Jeepers, Wally. I've seen college pitchers struggle to reach the low 80s on the radar gun.

I remember seeing someone from the Far East a few years back who could whip it at 79, but this is the first time I've seen an American do it. Usually, 68 or 69 mph is considered pretty darn good.

dkbaseball
08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Has anyone been following this? The team from Lake Charles, Louisiana has an outstanding pitcher who throws the ball 80-81 mph, equivalent to 103-104 mph in MLB. 5'9" and 155 lbs, and I'm assuming he's no more than 12 or 13. The name is Kennon Fontenot. Jeepers, Wally. I've seen college pitchers struggle to reach the low 80s on the radar gun.

I remember seeing someone from the Far East a few years back who could whip it at 79, but this is the first time I've seen an American do it. Usually, 68 or 69 mph is considered pretty darn good.

That really is amazing. I don't know how Little Leaguers can possibly get around on a ball that fast thrown from 40 feet away. I don't think that kid from Latin America a few years back who was eventually revealed to be 14 threw near that fast, did he?

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 01:13 AM
That really is amazing. I don't know how Little Leaguers can possibly get around on a ball that fast thrown from 40 feet away. I don't think that kid from Latin America a few years back who was eventually revealed to be 14 threw near that fast, did he?

Wiki says 75mph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Almonte)

2535Miles
08-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Yeah I watched a little tonight. That kid has heat, and movement. I, for one, love the Little League World Series. The kids get so worked up and there's so much emotion. It kinda sucks to see the little kids cry, but dang, I still like it.

Channing
08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
The kid who played for the Bronx and was actually 16 was Danny Almonte.

ESPN just ran an article on him and a kid he struck out:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=cerda&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

I also love the LLWS. I was disappointed to see no team from Ga made it, as I would have liked to see Ga go for 3 in a row. The Southeast team bowed out to Southwest last night.