PDA

View Full Version : Duke football prediction from SI

DGood
08-21-2008, 05:48 PM
SI picks Duke to finish 2 wins in conference, 4-8 overall. Not bad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2008/scouting/acc.html?eref=T1

JasonEvans
08-21-2008, 06:15 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2008/scouting/acc.html?eref=T1

If we did this, I think it would be worth considering renaming the stadium in honor of Coach Cut ;)

--Jason "kinda sad, but a 4 win season (2 of them in the ACC) would be HUGE for us" Evans

chrishoke
08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
If we did this, I think it would be worth considering renaming the stadium in honor of Coach Cut ;)

--Jason "kinda sad, but a 4 win season (2 of them in the ACC) would be HUGE for us" Evans

Very sad but very true.

Bob Green
08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Before we rename the stadium after him, Coach Cut is going to have to lead us to an unbeaten, untied, unscored against season.

Indoor66
08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Before we rename the stadium after him, Coach Cut is going to have to lead us to an unbeaten, untied, unscored against season.

You said it, Bob. Darn, that nasty old lady: perspective, rears her ugly head!

devildeac
08-21-2008, 08:08 PM

I think he may have mentioned that during his summer tour (but made no guarantees);).

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Jason, dahlin', I know you're much too young to know why Wallace Wade was such a revered coach. He's the man responsible for the name Iron Dukes and I don't mean the fund raising arm of the Athletic Department. Bob's mentioned the record the team amassed under Coach Wallace Wade. Even if our team has a winning record in 2008, the record won't measure up to what the Iron Dukes did. Now if we do have a major turn around this season, how 'bout we name the new indoor facility for our second fine coach from the great state of Alabama?

Verga3
08-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Call me crazy, but SI is really playing it safe. Some may take 4-8.....but it's a new day. Cut and his boys will be prepared for much more this fall.

Out on my limb it's 6-6, with potential wins over James Madison, Northwestern, Navy (we're due), Georgia Tech, NC State & UNC (naturally).
UVA and Miami are possible, if we slip elsewhere.

Duke football is back!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
It's now 8 days, 21 hours and 40 some minutes until the season begins. We're getting reports from various sources about what's going on in practice. Maybe it's time for us fans to start talking about what we're doing to get ready.

I've got my tailgate menu planned and got all the tailgate equipment out to dust it off for the season. My game attire already picked out. From time to time, off in the distance I keep hearing something. It's still faint, but grows a little louder every day. Is it the drumline practicing for Coach Cutcliffe's first game as a Blue Devil????

devildeac
08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
It's now 8 days, 21 hours and 40 some minutes until the season begins. We're getting reports from various sources about what's going on in practice. Maybe it's time for us fans to start talking about what we're doing to get ready.

I've got my tailgate menu planned and got all the tailgate equipment out to dust it off for the season. My game attire already picked out. From time to time, off in the distance I keep hearing something. It's still faint, but grows a little louder every day. Is it the drumline practicing for Coach Cutcliffe's first game as a Blue Devil????

We are ready, too. The only things we need are a meeting place a couple hours before the game and what we need to bring to the pre-game tailgating. Have you got the plans/menu set with OZZIE:D?

devildeac
08-21-2008, 10:11 PM

They obviously didn't discuss/consult with OZZIE prior to publication;).

OZZIE4DUKE
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM

No, they didn't, but they've got it half right. 8 and 4, baby. 8 and 4.

And it is time to start planning the festivities for August 30th.

heyman25
08-22-2008, 07:27 AM
If our offensive line can give Lewis and Asack pass protection will be key. It appears at the moment we are weak due to injuries on our running game.We have to score this year.

Huh?
08-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Let's not get excited over 4-8. Don't settle for less than mediocre even if we haven't won anything in a LONG time.

Gunnar Kaufman
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
4-8 would be a very, very good record for this team.

Cutcliffe, confident though he is that this squad can make a bowl game, surely recognizes that depth is at a premium on this squad, and that his quarterbacks--grizzled though they may be with experience and brimming with potential--need more than the few months they've had under his tutelage to become the kind of QBs they will need to be in order for Duke to reach the postseason.

Let's not have unrealistic expectations. Let's just keep that standard high, and hope that this season gives us plenty of reasons to believe it can be attained, and will be attained, right soon.

jv001
08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
2 conference wins and 4-8 overall would be a good start. More wins would be just special. The kicking game still worries me but Cut's conditioning program should prevent 4th quarter collapses we have experienced in the past.
Go Duke!

buddy
08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
that 4-8 would be a good start, especially if we are at least competitive in the 8. I think this team has a chance to do better, because of all the home games, but I'm trying not to get carried away. The opener will be a real challenge. James Madison is ranked #6 preseason in what used to be Division I-AA, so they will be a very difficult out.

OldPhiKap
08-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Let's worry about starting 1-0 and then work from there.

Go Duke!!!!!

Edouble
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Let's not get excited over 4-8. Don't settle for less than mediocre even if we haven't won anything in a LONG time.

I don't think that 4-8 is below mediocre. I think anything besides a zero or a one in the wins column, and anything below a double-digit number in the loss column, is something to get excited about. Those recruits haven't gotten to campus yet.

Abraxas
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
7-5 - and being eligible for a bowl!

That would be ACC coach of the year, and runner-up national coach of the year.

PDDuke85
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
So how many wins before we press for Coach Cutcliffe field at Wallace Wade Stadium? :D

Indoor66
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
So how many wins before we press for Coach Cutcliffe field at Wallace Wade Stadium? :D

Maybe 54 over 7 years?

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Let's worry about starting 1-0 and then work from there.

Hear, hear! It's fun to excited, but the first game is going to be a great test. JMU makes the Richmond Spiders look like a squashed bug.

Edouble
08-23-2008, 03:16 PM

BCS berth and victory. :eek:

Uncle Drew
08-23-2008, 03:24 PM

With all due respect Jason, appreciate Duke's history. Wallace Wade was the mack daddy of coaching in his day. Cameron and Wade's name should stay attached to their respective venues forever. That being said, I have no problem with naming the FIELD after Cut in a few years if he can turn things around. A great man once said, "acknowledge your present greatness, but always pay respect to your past greatness as well". I think it was Woodrow Wilson, but it might have been Soupy Sales. :D