PDA

View Full Version : anyone who just (insert your favorite frustration action here), post here:

godukecom
03-24-2007, 04:38 PM
I know i did

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Can't do it.

If express myself freely right now, and especially if I say what I'm thinking about Joe Alleva, I can't be a moderator on the board, and the police will probably be at my house in 5 minutes...

godukecom
03-24-2007, 04:45 PM
If alleva manages to lose g...

BlueDevilBaby
03-24-2007, 04:47 PM
I nearly had a broken hand for the women to match the one I broke when the men lost to GT. I would have sent the medical bill to Alleva. What an . . .:mad:

Chicago 1995
03-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Can't do it.

If express myself freely right now, and especially if I say what I'm thinking about Joe Alleva, I can't be a moderator on the board, and the police will probably be at my house in 5 minutes...

I mean, I know where you are coming from Throaty. Alleva's a moron, and there are a number of us that could be a more competent AD than Alleva.

I'm not remotely joking about that.

But blaming the loss on him isn't completely right. I mean, how many tourney games have we lost like this under Coach G? Alleva certainly didn't help the situation, but there's a pattern and practice here that predates Alleva's moronic commentary.

BlueDevilBaby
03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
See MD, 2006. At least Duke got to the final game last year.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I turned off everything and went for a walk!!! I don't know what the "moronic commentary" from Alleva was.

Love, Ima

calltheobvious
03-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I mean, I know where you are coming from Throaty. Alleva's a moron, and there are a number of us that could be a more competent AD than Alleva.

I'm not remotely joking about that.

But blaming the loss on him isn't completely right. I mean, how many tourney games have we lost like this under Coach G? Alleva certainly didn't help the situation, but there's a pattern and practice here that predates Alleva's moronic commentary.

Chicago, my first reaction to your post was, "Eh, probably correct."

My second was, "Well, we lost by a point; would an Allevamuzzle have been worth a bucket?"

My third, which seems to be sticking, is that Duke's women have shown a propensity to take the stage too seriously at this time of year and not to relax and just play. I find it eminently plausible that the questions within the team's circle created by Alleva's INCOMPREHENSIBLY STUPID comments made that precondition much, much harder to overcome. And in the game played in a parallel universe somewhere, I watched Duke win going away.

I mean, come on, man. Would the old disingenuous vote of confidence been that hard to muster?

BlueDevilBaby
03-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Exactly, jeeeez.

Chicago 1995
03-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Chicago, my first reaction to your post was, "Eh, probably correct."

My second was, "Well, we lost by a point; would an Allevamuzzle have been worth a bucket?"

My third, which seems to be sticking, is that Duke's women have shown a propensity to take the stage too seriously at this time of year and not to relax and just play. I find it eminently plausible that the questions within the team's circle created by Alleva's INCOMPREHENSIBLY STUPID comments made that precondition much, much harder to overcome. And in the game played in a parallel universe somewhere, I watched Duke win going away.

I mean, come on, man. Would the old disingenuous vote of confidence been that hard to muster?

Alleva should have said something along the lines of "We're lucky to have Gail. We know what an asset she is, and we understand that other schools may be interested in her. That's something that will have to be addressed after the season, but know that we're committed to women's basketball and to Gail here at Duke."

And maybe his comments were worth one basket, but the same recurring problems in big games are the reason that one basket mattered. Same damn tight play in a tourney game. Everyone could see it slipping away. Same damn script. Different opponent and year.

Frankly, I think she's going to leave whether we make her a competative offer or not. After a loss like this on top of last year, I don't know that I'd blame her for wanting a fresh start. Even the most confident, resolute person would have to wonder if it's ever going to happen here.

calltheobvious
03-24-2007, 06:00 PM
No argument here on any of that.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Regardless of whether an Alleva muzzle would have been worth 2 points or not, it's just terrible leadership on his part not to issue a boilerplate endorsement of her when asked. How hard would that have been?

Chicago 1995
03-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Regardless of whether an Alleva muzzle would have been worth 2 points or not, it's just terrible leadership on his part not to issue a boilerplate endorsement of her when asked. How hard would that have been?

Not hard at all.

He's a moron and he's a terrible representative of Duke, but he's got friends in high places, so I guess we're stuck with him.

I'm sure there are at least 30 regular posters here who would be better ADs.

Again, I'm not joking in the least.

DankeShane
03-24-2007, 07:18 PM
What did Alleva say? I missed most of the game and was out of the house. Is this discussed in another thread somewhere?

YmoBeThere
03-24-2007, 08:05 PM
What did Alleva say? I missed most of the game and was out of the house. Is this discussed in another thread somewhere?

I don't think he said anything, perhaps his lack of comment was cosidered participatory in today's loss where 2 points would have meant a victory.

My mistake check out Thank you, Joe thread.

gadzooks
03-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I believe what everyone is talking about is his quote from here (http://www.dukechronicle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=015b49d9-ab53-46ac-8fe4-18d3412c4d13):
"[Geno and Pat have] both won a lot of national championships and are part of programs that make money for their institutions. They bring in profit for their athletic departments, and that's not the case for our women's program," Alleva said. "I'm sure some of these other institutions will offer significantly large packages to encourage her to go.

"I've received calls about Coach G for years. She's been our coach for the long term, and I hope to keep her as our coach for a long time.... Hopefully when all is said and done, she'll be our coach in the future."A ringing endorsement. :rolleyes:

arnie
03-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I tried posting this when we had codes, but I never received a code for it;
But let's try again:

Carl Franks hire simply involved a phone call to Spurrier and then the hire - no effort

Ted Roof hire - existing asst coach, no head coaching experience, only a local phone call required - no effort

Baseball steroids coverup (took some effort), but had to protect Hiller a close personal friend whom he sold his house to.

Horrible baseball program - again Hiller a friend, no effort to fire until forced to

Lacrosse team reprimands long before March, 2006 - no program to implement change - no effort

Speedboat crash involving his legally drunk son - Joe on board and should have been at the wheel (assuming he wasn't drunk) - no effort

His efforts are seen back-slapping cronies that show up at games.

Feinstein knows him and Feinstein has stated "Joe's next good idea will be his first".

This is a capsule of our AD - why should G stay?

If I have mis-characterized any of the above, please do not hesitate to let me know.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm sure there are at least 30 regular posters here who would be better ADs.

And at least one that actually applied for the job. And I will again next time, too. I promise!

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 09:23 PM
How good are your skills at piloting a boat, Ozzie?

Chicago 1995
03-24-2007, 09:37 PM
And at least one that actually applied for the job. And I will again next time, too. I promise!

I know there's a strong group that will be supporting you too Ozzie. :)

I'd like to put my hat in the ring as an assistant. Hopefully our conversations off line haven't been too contrarian. ;)

Teton Jack
03-24-2007, 09:50 PM
But then, again, when has Duke actually shown true concern or interest in its alumni or other supporters?

When did any of us get a letter that didn't start out "Dear Friend of Duke" or Dear Alumni? Gee, after spending a fortune in tuition you'd think they would at least know our names.

Duke tells everyone - especially the polls - that it has a great business school, but I haven't seen anything like a relationship marketing program from them. I get the alumni pablum from lots of schools and it's all the same. Duke doesn't show any creativity in its marketing. It's like leadership is something shown on paper or through lectures - it doesn't really exist there - or in its AD position.

All Duke asks us for is money. Even when they sent the letter regarding the lacrosse program, it was clear they were more concerned that alumni would not send donations.

Best of luck in your campaign, but I think Duke has the AD it deserves.

captmojo
03-24-2007, 11:00 PM
You've got my vote. Four black weekends in a row, I don't think I can take a fifth. Wait a minute..........That didn't sound right.

Kewlswim
03-25-2007, 12:58 AM
But then, again, when has Duke actually shown true concern or interest in its alumni or other supporters?

When did any of us get a letter that didn't start out "Dear Friend of Duke" or Dear Alumni? Gee, after spending a fortune in tuition you'd think they would at least know our names.

Duke tells everyone - especially the polls - that it has a great business school, but I haven't seen anything like a relationship marketing program from them. I get the alumni pablum from lots of schools and it's all the same. Duke doesn't show any creativity in its marketing. It's like leadership is something shown on paper or through lectures - it doesn't really exist there - or in its AD position.

All Duke asks us for is money. Even when they sent the letter regarding the lacrosse program, it was clear they were more concerned that alumni would not send donations.

Best of luck in your campaign, but I think Duke has the AD it deserves.

Hi,

Duke sent me an email thanking me, by name, for contributing this year and for my continued support. I thought it was actually pretty well done.

GO DUKE!