PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Joe

Teton Jack
03-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I can't help but place responsibility for Duke's loss today on Joe Alleva and the Athletic Department. The last thing the team needed was to hear - in effect - that Duke was willing to let their coach walk. So, thanks again, Joe.

BlueDevilBaby
03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Agreed! Unfortunately, I think she's gone now. They aren't going to give her the money for going out in the regionals. How heartbreaking!:mad:

FireOgilvie
03-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Joe Alleva has no interest in winning. He has been nothing but an embarrassment to Duke. He should have been fired after the drunken boating accident or the lacrosse debacle where he showed everyone that he can't give a press conference. The fact that coaches like Norm Ogilvie (track director) are still around shows that he doesn't care about student-athletes, winning, or ethics.

Sixthman
03-24-2007, 04:39 PM
First, Joe has to know how important she is. Gail is literally the best, she has a great group of players coming in and returning. She is well suited to Duke. We will offer her a substantially enhanced contract. Gail will leave only if the only thing she cares about is money. I think that's not likely.

Teton Jack
03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Other threads have nailed the real culprit. Since the 1970's there's been an element of the Duke Community that is hostile to athletics. They want to make Duke a southern University of Chicago with only intramural style sports. When K decides to retire, they'll jump on the first weakness in the program to replace the new coach with someone who can lead the program into the toilet. This element - read "Committee" or faculty or some other group - does not understand the relationship between the p.r. the team gets and the school's image or the amount of money K brings to Duke.

If G goes, they can kiss what little money I contribute goodbye.

BlueDevilBaby
03-24-2007, 04:45 PM
She did not exactly get a ringing endorsement from Alleva. This was my concern about the effect on the team in another thread. What ever happened to "no comment"?:mad:

Kewlswim
03-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi,

After your faux pas statements about the women's program--perhaps accurate content, but horrible timing--I hope you will read this note. If we are to lose Coach G, and I hope we don't, please take a look at getting the Cal coach, she is an ex-Duke player and we can probably get her cheap. grrrrrrrr

GO DUKE!

YmoBeThere
03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Other threads have nailed the real culprit. Since the 1970's there's been an element of the Duke Community that is hostile to athletics. They want to make Duke a southern University of Chicago with only intramural style sports. When K decides to retire, they'll jump on the first weakness in the program to replace the new coach with someone who can lead the program into the toilet. This element - read "Committee" or faculty or some other group - does not understand the relationship between the p.r. the team gets and the school's image or the amount of money K brings to Duke.

If G goes, they can kiss what little money I contribute goodbye.

when they merged the atheltic department with student life. Didn't seem to hurt. Of course Jay Cutler was already there but the b-ball team has put in two Sweet 16 appearances and the women's teams maintain their respectability. Now if only we could get the b-school rankings back to where they should be...

Duke '93, Vandy '03

ehdg
03-24-2007, 09:26 PM
After all our sports teams have been through this year, if it's time for anyone to leave Duke imo it should be Alleva. I think our programs where in better shape when he inherited them from Tom Butters then they are today. It's been under his watch where things just haven't progressed or improved. Plus it was under his watch LAX and Football. Sadly Roof is still trying to climb out from under the mistake Alleva made hiring Franks. If anything it's time for a new AD at Duke.

jipops
03-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't know a lot of the details around the Coach G thing. But with all the criticism of Alleva, warranted or not, let's not forget who the big endorser was of hiring Alleva to the AD position in the first place.

Maybe he missed something here?