PDA

View Full Version : This is discipline?

freedevil
08-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Check out how Roy plans on letting Tywon Lawson know his conduct was truly unacceptable (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/lawson-doesnt-expect-further-punishment).

A few months ago, Ty had no shot at cracking the top 25 - and that was, at the time, the primary reason he returned to school.

Now, unbeknownst (apparently) to most, Ty was going to be picked at 11?

I'm skeptical. Very.

Edouble
08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Ha ha ha, that's a good one. I'm sure if Michael Beasley had been pulled over, he would have fallen out of the lottery too.

It couldn't be his height that's holding him back.

yancem
08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Check out how Roy plans on letting Tywon Lawson know his conduct was truly unacceptable (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/lawson-doesnt-expect-further-punishment).

A few months ago, Ty had no shot at cracking the top 25 - and that was, at the time, the primary reason he returned to school.

Now, unbeknownst (apparently) to most, Ty was going to be picked at 11?

I'm skeptical. Very.

I'm not sure which I think is worse, the DA dropping the charge of driving on a suspended license or O'Roy thinking that his possible draft position being compromised because of the incident is punishment enough.

If Lawson was a high profile athlete I doubt that the DA would drop the suspended license charge for an underage drinker who was driving his car. I know that college kids often get a little leeway but if he had his license suspended than this wasn't his first offense. I would have expected at least a bunch of community service.

As for the draft thing, if Indiana was truly planning on drafting him at 11 and decided not to because of the incident then yes that is a pretty big lesson. The thing is, UNC had nothing to do with the draft and I think that O'Roy and UNC should be responsible for disciplining him. I'm not saying that he should be kicked off the team or anything but have him go to the local schools and talk about the dangers of drinking and driving or something along those lines. Doing nothing set up a bad president. What happens when the next kid pulls this type of stunt and isn't in the middle of testing the waters?

Diddy
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Folks, I am sorry to burst your bubble, but Roy has only one job, and it sure as heck isn't turning out decent human beings. With this team, and the competition nationally this year, Roy has to have a great year. Truly, anything less than a National Championship will be a major dissappointment to the tar heel faithful. If Roy can't win with this year's team, he will see the same kind of articles that K has seen recently, only with a slightly different take. Namely, people will say Roy can't win with kids he recruited, and they will be dead pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottym outh! right.

For better or worse, UNC's national title hopes probably ride on Lawson. The rest of the team is known. How Lawson makes the engine run is paramount to their hopes. Punishing the heck out of him will only make him surly and resentful, which he already has a heapful of anyhow. Just keep him happy for the year is what Roy is hoping for. Team chemistry is UNC's only possible weakness.

As for the DA, you can't blame him. He has to run for office, and 85% of his constituent base are UNC fans. How would you like to throw the book at a guy who is GUARANTEED to be more popular than you. All Roy has to do is have a few appearances with your opponent and you are beaten. Badly. It sucks, but that is reality. Major stars at major state universities essentially have a free pass so long as they don't deal serious drugs (not Mary Jane, but worse), use guns in crimes, or kill somebody. It sucks, but that is reality.

Bluedog
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I would have expected at least a bunch of community service.

The article says he's already completed 26 hours of community service, so it seems as if that was part of the plea agreement.

Wander
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
No.... this... is..... SPARTA!

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
As for the DA, you can't blame him. He has to run for office, and 85% of his constituent base are UNC fans. How would you like to throw the book at a guy who is GUARANTEED to be more popular than you.

Sure you can. I am by no means equating this with the Lax case, but we've already seen what can happen around here when a DA plays to an audience. We should not accept pandering in any form. Why should Lawson get another slap on the wrist when his license had already been revoked? He's obviously not growing and learning from his mistakes. Say he does it again but hurts someone like that tennis player did... now how does that DA look? His head would be on the chopping block - as it should be. And what kind of exmaple is being set here? Lawson is virtually laughing in the face of authority... I'll probably have to do a sprint or two. P-L-E-A-S-E.

Double-0 Devil
08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
After reading the front page article on Michael Tauiliili, I'm not sure we are in any place to comment on discipline at other schools. After reading the charges against him, I can't believe he is still on the team. Of course, the best part is his comment about being "held to a higher standard," as if being arrested for DWI, leaving the scene of an accident, assault, carrying a concealed weapon, and threatening someone with a gun is ok for everyone else.

billybreen
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
No.... this... is..... SPARTA!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii94/TheWalkingDude/1187765673809.jpg

Inonehand
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
After reading the front page article on Michael Tauiliili, I'm not sure we are in any place to comment on discipline at other schools. After reading the charges against him, I can't believe he is still on the team. Of course, the best part is his comment about being "held to a higher standard," as if being arrested for DWI, leaving the scene of an accident, assault, carrying a concealed weapon, and threatening someone with a gun is ok for everyone else.

I agree to an extent. Lawson basically had one beer. Yes, he drank underage and drove, but by no means was he intoxicated. Not a chance and I think the punishment levied was plenty. As for Michael Brown turned Tauilili, he blew over the legal limit, ran into a car and got into an argument with the other person involved. He wasn't the aggressor in this, I've gathered from people in the department, but was dumb enough to pull a BB gun on the person...so I've heard. I think the charges were trumped up some and overblown, but what he did was WAY out of line. And plain dumb. He deserved at least the punishment he got, maybe more. But, either way, it seems he learned from it. My guess is Ted Roof punished him in some non-public fashion that also had an impact.

BD80
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure which I think is worse, the DA dropping the charge of driving on a suspended license or O'Roy thinking that his possible draft position being compromised because of the incident is punishment enough.

Driving with a suspended license and after underage drinking to boot? And NO punishment? Does anyone know why his license was suspended? Where are the Carowhina investigative reporters?

This kid is obviously oblivious to authority. Guess that is what happens when you have such a disciplinarian like Ol' Roy running the show.

Bluedog
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM

I agree. From what little I know about the judicial process, it seems like being arrested with all those charges for most people result in at least a semester's suspension from Duke - not just the athletic team, but from attending courses. If not expulsion. I had heard the DUI automatically qualifies for a semester's suspension, and he had far more than that.

Devilsfan
08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
UNC probably asked the Cincinnati Bengals for advice in this matter.

yancem
08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
The article says he's already completed 26 hours of community service, so it seems as if that was part of the plea agreement.

26 hours of community service is nothing. Most cases like this that I've seen have required 100+ hours of community service.

yancem
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM

I agree that, at least from what the article says, he was not discipline enough. An 11 day suspension, are you serious? I am curious what legal ramifications he faced. The article didn't seem to discuss if he got probation or community service or what.

BD80
08-21-2008, 05:00 PM

The article in no way suggests that the "higher standard" pertains to his infraction or punishment. Rather, it indicates that he appreciates the heightened responsibility he should be bearing:

he said that he is totally changed after enduring in 2007 the biggest personal mistake that he has made ... .

"I learned that you really have to be conscious of your activity and your decision making," he said. "As a leader of the team, I'm held to a higher standard. I definitely have to be smarter."

From the article it sounds like Tauiliili has learned from his mistake. As for Lawson, it doesn't sound like he has learned anything, or that Ol' Roy is interested in teaching him anything.

SilkyJ
08-21-2008, 05:34 PM

do you have any idea what the RESULT of the case was or are you basing your entire post on the charges/accusations. If its the former, which you post would indicate, you need to take Duke Lax 101 and possibly obtain a clue.

Driving with a suspended license and after underage drinking to boot? And NO punishment? Does anyone know why his license was suspended? Where are the Carowhina investigative reporters?

This kid is obviously oblivious to authority. Guess that is what happens when you have such a disciplinarian like Ol' Roy running the show.

oh come off it. we dealt with this months ago. Who doesnt drink underage. a 20 year old had a beer and then drove a car. stop being so self-righteous.

Inonehand
08-21-2008, 07:06 PM
do you have any idea what the RESULT of the case was or are you basing your entire post on the charges/accusations. If its the former, which you post would indicate, you need to take Duke Lax 101 and possibly obtain a clue.

oh come off it. we dealt with this months ago. Who doesnt drink underage. a 20 year old had a beer and then drove a car. stop being so self-righteous.

Honestly, lay off. tauilili's transgressions were more numerous, more extensive. Again, I do believe some were blown out of proportion but this also wasn't his first trouble. He got into a group fight on Franklin Street the year before. Personally, I think he has learned from it. However, what Lawson did was WAY less disturbing. Tauilili was drunk. Lawson had barely had a beer. There IS a HUGE difference.

BD80
08-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Suspended license.

Makes all the difference to me. I haven't seen the articles or reports, but am just going off of what was stated above.

Driving with a suspended license means a judge told you not to drive and you drive anyway. To drive anyway shows an amazing disregard for authority.

To have a drink as a minor and drive with a suspended license is even worse.

Again, I don't know if or why his license was suspended, but it would be a big deal to me to drive with a suspended license. The bar must be pretty low for self-righteousness these days - obeying a judge's order.

SilkyJ
08-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Driving with a suspended license means a judge told you not to drive and you drive anyway.

That is simply not true. My girlfriend has had a suspended license without knowing it for the last 5 months. She moved from her home state, then that states DMV had their letters regarding renewing her license the DMV bounce back, so they suspended it. It made its way to her current state, and no one ever notified her til she went in to renew her license.

I had another friend who simply didnt pay a parking ticket or two, and they ended up suspending his license (different state). He never went before a judge.

To have a drink as a minor and drive with a suspended license is even worse.

He wasn't a minor. To be a minor you must be 17 or younger. Lawson was 20, iirc.

BD80
08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
... My girlfriend has had a suspended license without knowing it for the last 5 months. ...

I had another friend who simply didnt pay a parking ticket or two, and they ended up suspending his license (different state).

That's why details are important. If he had a relatively clean slate, I agree this is nothing. If he lost his license for a reason and he still drove, I think it is significant. Does anyone know why his license was suspended?