PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Basketball - Argentina Thread

billybreen
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Argentina got by Greece, so that's who we'll see in the semis. Let's see, Ginobli, Scola, Nocioni? That's a murderers row. I say Argentina by 7.

freedevil
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Never heard of Ginboli. :)

Nocioni vs. Kobe/D-Wade/Melo? I'll take the U.S. of A by a lot.

wolfpackdevil
08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
This should be a good game for the right to go to the Gold Medal game.

Ginobli will have a good game so will the rest of the Argentina players, but once again there is no way the US will lose.

It will be the most competitive game so far but the USA will win 87-78

BlueintheFace
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Argentina just pulled off a nail-biter against Greece (Spanoulis missed an open three to win at the end).

I am in the camp that believes that if Greece was America's biggest threat, Argentina is the second biggest (sorry, I have just never believed in the Spain hype).

Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1) Nocioni- I believe it was who Nocioni went down in the middle of the Greece game with an ankle issue. In Ginobili's words, "Without him we have no chance." If Noc heals and comes back Argentina has a punchers chance, but if not...

2) More Big Leaugers- The Argentinean starting lineup will be Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto, Scola, and the weak link, point guard Prigioni. Carlos Delfino comes off the bench and just had a great game against Greece. This team has quite a few players who either start or see significant minutes off the bench in the NBA.

3) Depth- Though Argentina has a decent starting lineup, they have zero depth. Only one player averages more than ten minutes off the bench. Furthermore, the bench averages less than 15 points/game. The US should really wear this team down.

4) Coming on Strong- Deron Williams told Sager that he can feel the Gold medal within his reach after this game. I do not see the US team reverting back to old habits and less intensity. Plus, Kobe is coming on now and has found his range. This game really shouldn't be close.

Please add your thoughts and comments...

calltheobvious
08-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Argentina got by Greece, so that's who we'll see in the semis. Let's see, Ginobli, Scola, Nocioni? That's a murderers row. I say Argentina by 7.

Imminently reasonable as always.

billybreen
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Imminently reasonable as always.

In the spirit of Grammar Day, I believe you mean 'eminently reasonable.'

doctorhook
08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
What is the date/time of the game? Doc

Indoor66
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM

I don't think it has been published yet. Women are tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. EDT on MSNBC.

roywhite
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM

This Friday 8/22. The semifinal games are at 8:00 PM and 10:15 PM Beijing time (8:00 AM and 10:15 AM EDT). Don't know for sure if US is in first game or second, though usabasketball.com says 10:15.

jipops
08-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow, so Argentina nips Greece by two, would have loved to have seen that.

This game should be interesting as Argentina has similar size at guard as we do. We'll see if they can handle the ball well against our pressure. The Argentines also like to jack up some threes (32 attempts vs. Greece, 13 by Gnobli!) but we won't be employing zone like Greece did.

Scola is a guy who could give us some fits. He's powerful, does not shy away from physical contact and he can score. That should be an interesting matchup underneath with either LeBron or Carmelo.

ugadevil
08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Argentina doesn't appear to be a very deep team. Nocioni is banged up with a knee injury that bothered him against Greece and Manu said after the game that his legs were gone down the stretch. Argentina was fortunate to have Carlos Delfino act like J.J in an ACC Championship game down the stretch.

BCGroup
08-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I found this schedule, which provides a bit more information on times, etc.:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/2008/schedules/by_sport/basketball.html#20080820

BlueintheFace
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1) Nocioni- I believe it was Nocioni who went down in the middle of the Greece game with an ankle issue. In Ginobili's words, "Without him we have no chance." If Noc heals and comes back Argentina has a punchers chance, but if not...

2) More Big Leaugers- The Argentinean starting lineup will be Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto, Scola, and the weak link, point guard Prigioni. Carlos Delfino comes off the bench and just had a great game against Greece. This team has quite a few players who either start or see significant minutes off the bench in the NBA.

3) Depth- Though Argentina has a decent starting lineup, they have zero depth. Only one player averages more than ten minutes off the bench. Furthermore, the bench averages less than 15 points/game. The US should really wear this team down.

4) Coming on Strong- Deron Williams told Sager that he can feel the Gold medal within his reach after this game. I do not see the US team reverting back to old habits and less intensity. Plus, Kobe is coming on now and has found his range. This game really shouldn't be close.

roywhite
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3544396&categoryId=2378529

Bill Walton with a pretty good take on the USA team so far.

quickgtp
08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Has anyone asked Chris Sheridan what he thinks? LOL

I say USA by 14 in this one!

moonpie23
08-20-2008, 03:20 PM

thanks billy, i was actually feeling ok today after the australian game....now, i've got a little cough . (cough - hack Wheeze)

billybreen
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Has anyone asked Chris Sheridan what he thinks? LOL

I say USA by 14 in this one!

Whatever Sheridan says, I will out-pessimist him. That is my solemn promise to you.

Edouble
08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
USA over Argentina 103-81

dukelifer
08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow, so Argentina nips Greece by two, would have loved to have seen that.

This game should be interesting as Argentina has similar size at guard as we do. We'll see if they can handle the ball well against our pressure. The Argentines also like to jack up some threes (32 attempts vs. Greece, 13 by Gnobli!) but we won't be employing zone like Greece did.

Scola is a guy who could give us some fits. He's powerful, does not shy away from physical contact and he can score. That should be an interesting matchup underneath with either LeBron or Carmelo.

You can see the Argentina Greece game on the nbcolympics.com- they have rewinds on all the games.

mgtr
08-20-2008, 04:52 PM

It is sort of a liquid version of stromboli. Quite potent.

hc5duke
08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
This is a bit of a tangent, but that's a lot of Italian names on the Argentinian team:

Nocioni
Ginobili
Oberto
Prigioni
Porta (mother's name is Pernigotti)
Delfino (maybe? listed as one in wiki)

And Scola isn't a very Spanish sounding name either, though his wiki page lists that he's Spanish.

77devil
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
This is a bit of a tangent, but that's a lot of Italian names on the Argentinian team:

Nocioni
Ginobili
Oberto
Prigioni
Porta (mother's name is Pernigotti)
Delfino (maybe? listed as one in wiki)

And Scola isn't a very Spanish sounding name either, though his wiki page lists that he's Spanish.

There are lots of Argentineans of Italian descent. In sections of BA, you'll hear more Italian spoken than Spanish.

roywhite
08-20-2008, 07:38 PM
http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2008/MOLY-Box%20Scores/34.pdf

A couple of quick observations after looking at the Greece/Argentina boxscore (didn't see the game, and haven't seen an Argentine game in the Olympics, so I welcome other insights):

1. Argentina relies heavily on 3-point shooting; they shot over 50% of their FG attempts from 3-point range, and hit a good percentage. We'll need to defend that aspect and not leave shooters open. They got to the line only 5 times, so they must not look for the drive very much.

2. They have a pretty thin rotation with 6 guys playing the great majority of minutes (and now Nocioni is hurting?). US depth, which comes in waves, could be decisive.

Wander
08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I saw the game roywhite and I think you're mostly right. I'd add though that Greece left Argentina open for threes all night, so there wasn't really too much of a reason for Argentina to look to drive too much. It's the only time I've seen them play, though. And, yes, Nocioni was hurt, but if I remember correctly he still played at the end of the game.

By the way, everyone always talked about how some of the teams wouldn't reveal all their tricks in pool play. Totally knew Coach K would throw a lineup of guards and small forwards with no big man on the court as one of his own tricks... I bet Singler was very proud of Lebron. :)

ugadevil
08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I saw the game roywhite and I think you're mostly right. I'd add though that Greece left Argentina open for threes all night, so there wasn't really too much of a reason for Argentina to look to drive too much. It's the only time I've seen them play, though. And, yes, Nocioni was hurt, but if I remember correctly he still played at the end of the game.

Good point about Argentina getting open 3's. I think Greece decided that they were going to defend the lane and make Argentina beat them with outside shots, which they did. One other observation...I've never seen 2 teams complain SO MUCH about the officiating. There were certain fouls that looked like they could have been intentional, and the player would be arguing that it wasn't even a foul.

calltheobvious
08-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Getting called out like that is really imbarassing.

BlueintheFace
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2008/MOLY-Box%20Scores/34.pdf

A couple of quick observations after looking at the Greece/Argentina boxscore (didn't see the game, and haven't seen an Argentine game in the Olympics, so I welcome other insights):

1. Argentina relies heavily on 3-point shooting; they shot over 50% of their FG attempts from 3-point range, and hit a good percentage. We'll need to defend that aspect and not leave shooters open. They got to the line only 5 times, so they must not look for the drive very much.

2. They have a pretty thin rotation with 6 guys playing the great majority of minutes (and now Nocioni is hurting?). US depth, which comes in waves, could be decisive.

Greece is also the worst team in the tournament (statistically speaking) at defending the three. Also, it helps when you have Carlos Delfino deciding to channel Steve Kerr, but you are right. Argentina takes a lot of threes. However, it might surprise you that the US and China are the only two teams who have attempted more threes. I'm not so sure about the not-driving thing. Throughout the tournament Ginobili has been taking it to the hoop. I think maybe the foul CALLS were just scarce this game.

devildownunder
08-20-2008, 10:32 PM

Nocioni vs. Kobe/D-Wade/Melo? I'll take the U.S. of A by a lot.

During the opening ceremonies, The Australian TV announcers, when they weren't busy taking pot shots at the host nation, showed a disturbing lack of knowledge of sporting stars from other nations. Manu was the standard bearer for Argentina and they introduced him as "Emmanuel GIN-o BILL-y. he's one of their basketballers." Meanwhile the American media constantly gets slammed for being myopic.

bradjenk
08-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Ginobili better pack a lunch. 40 minutes of Kobe/D-Wade is going to be tough to handle. It must be refreshing for our guys to reverse rolls - they spend 82 NBA games every year having to carry their teams offensively with other teams throwing waves of fresh defenders at them. A friend of mine made a great point when he told me to imagine what our opponents think when they cross half court with the ball and then see James, Bryant, and Wade pulling up their shorts to get in position to defend. Intimidating sight for sure.

Ultrarunner
08-20-2008, 11:46 PM

"reasonably imminent?"

BlueintheFace
08-20-2008, 11:49 PM
I hereby declare GRAMMER DAI over. Enough!!!!

BD80
08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I hereby declare GRAMMER DAI over. Enough!!!!

Which would be seasonably preeminent

ccrazies_708
08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
mgtr- You are very funny.

Anyways, I say USA. By a lot.

Billy Dat
08-21-2008, 12:24 AM
This team hit it's tipping point sometime in the Spain game when they realized that their defense alone made them dominant over the most elite FIBA teams. With all due respect to the remaining teams, I truly expect us to thrash Argentina and whomever we play in the gold medal game. We're too deep, playing too hard, and too hungry. The World is getting our best and deserve the credit for bringing it out in us.

heyman25
08-21-2008, 03:20 AM
Ginobli is a great player,but having Kobe Dwayne and Tayshaun coming at him for 40 minutes is going to wear him out! Its going to be fun to watch.

eddiehaskell
08-21-2008, 06:47 AM
110 - 78....however, I'm kinda hoping someone will give the US a good game...keep it within 12 or so.:)

roywhite
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Since there was some interest in the betting line in the USA---Australia game (for entertainment purposes only), I thought I'd pass along the Las Vegas line on the USA---Argentina game:

USA is favored by 19.5 or 20 points in the sources I've seen. A little closer than I expected, actually.

billybreen
08-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Since there was some interest in the betting line in the USA---Australia game (for entertainment purposes only), I thought I'd pass along the Las Vegas line on the USA---Argentina game:

USA is favored by 19.5 or 20 points in the sources I've seen. A little closer than I expected, actually.

Fear of Ginobli.

yum dukie
08-21-2008, 12:38 PM
sounds like vintage Bobby Cremins-era Georgia Tech teams to me.

I like our chances.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Tipoff is 10:15AM EDT Friday morning (22:15 Beijing time) per official site (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BK/C51/BKM400202.shtml#BKM400202)

SilkyJ
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Ginobli is a great player,but having Kobe Dwayne and Tayshaun coming at him for 40 minutes is going to wear him out! Its going to be fun to watch.

did you really just drop tayshaun prince's name in the same breath as kobe and wade?

Channing
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
did you really just drop tayshaun prince's name in the same breath as kobe and wade?

do you honestly not think Tayshaun is in their category defensively (as the post implies). Would you have a problem putting Shane in that category defensively? Tayshaun is one of the best defenders in the NBA - he can guard the 2,3, or the 4 and do it well.

SilkyJ
08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
do you honestly not think Tayshaun is in their category defensively (as the post implies). Would you have a problem putting Shane in that category defensively? Tayshaun is one of the best defenders in the NBA - he can guard the 2,3, or the 4 and do it well.

I do not think Tayshaun is in Kobe's category defensively, but more importantly he also doesn't see the floor enough for me to justify mentioning him.

phaedrus
08-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I do not think Tayshaun is in Kobe's category defensively, but more importantly he also doesn't see the floor enough for me to justify mentioning him.

Prince is one of the best defenders in the league, without question; if he is not even in Kobe's league, then I suppose Kobe's league must be somewhere between Bill Russell and God. Fairly impressive, considering Kobe rarely even tries to play defense in the NBA.

And Prince is well ahead of Wade defensively.

Indoor66
08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Prince is one of the best defenders in the league, without question; if he is not even in Kobe's league, then I suppose Kobe's league must be somewhere between Bill Russell and God. Fairly impressive, considering Kobe rarely even tries to play defense in the NBA.

And Prince is well ahead of Wade defensively.

He must have tried a little, Kobe made the NBA All-Defensive (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2854317)team in 2008!

NBA All-Defensive Team: Tim Duncan - Spurs, Bruce Bowen - Spurs, Marcus Camby - Nuggets, Kobe Bryant - Lakers, Raja Bell - Suns

BlueintheFace
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
He must have tried a little, Kobe made the NBA All-Defensive (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2854317)team in 2008!

NBA All-Defensive Team: Tim Duncan - Spurs, Bruce Bowen - Spurs, Marcus Camby - Nuggets, Kobe Bryant - Lakers, Raja Bell - Suns

Yah, it has never really been much of a secret that Kobe is one of the best defenders in the NBA. Do you really think K would put him on the other teams' best guards otherwise?

Kobe will be defending Ginobili next game.

The reason we don't think of him as much of a defender is because in the playoffs it is usually good strategy to put Kobe on a poor offensive player so that he can save his legs.

BlueintheFace
08-21-2008, 07:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=US-Argentina-080821

phaedrus
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
The reason we don't think of him as much of a defender is because in the playoffs it is usually good strategy to put Kobe on a poor offensive player so that he can save his legs.

I do think Kobe is a very capable defender, maybe even better than Prince; but I'd submit that the above is true not just in the playoffs but for much of the regular season. Kobe's continued presence on the All-Defense team is a mystery to me, but this is the same institution that regularly leaves Shane Battier in the dark.

SilkyJ
08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Kobe's continued presence on the All-Defense team is a mystery to me

ok, well as you said, "continued" so clearly people arent getting fooled just once. that should tell you something.

Johnboy
08-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I do think Kobe is a very capable defender, maybe even better than Prince; but I'd submit that the above is true not just in the playoffs but for much of the regular season. Kobe's continued presence on the All-Defense team is a mystery to me, but this is the same institution that regularly leaves Shane Battier in the dark.

Check out the second team (http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveteams.html):
Battier, Prince, Paul, Howard and Raja Bell. I wouldn't call that leaving Battier in the dust or putting Kobe "in a different league" than Prince. While it's interesting that we only have one first-team NBA defender on the Olympic team, we do have 3/5s of the second team, and if Battier hadn't been hurt, it mighta been 4/5.

phaedrus
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Check out the second team (http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveteams.html):
Battier, Prince, Paul, Howard and Raja Bell. I wouldn't call that leaving Battier in the dust or putting Kobe "in a different league" than Prince. While it's interesting that we only have one first-team NBA defender on the Olympic team, we do have 3/5s of the second team, and if Battier hadn't been hurt, it mighta been 4/5.

That's the first time in his career Battier's even made the second team, and it was in a year that some argued he should have won defensive POY (or at least been close).

Anyway, I don't want to keep directing this thread off-topic. Kobe has played great defense for Team USA, and that's all that really matters here. But let's not underrate Prince, who wouldn't even have sniffed the Team USA roster if he weren't one of the best defensive players in the world.

Bluedog
08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
That's the first time in his career Battier's even made the second team, and it was in a year that some argued he should have won defensive POY (or at least been close).

Battier finished second in defensive POY voting, IIRC. But still made the second team despite that.

devilirium
08-22-2008, 12:53 AM
This game will be another asswhipping....

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 01:38 AM
This game will be another asswhipping....

Not quite, but you are still correct to a point. Please all, do NOT be to amazed how accurate I am on this. Remember, I am a professional. The score of U.S. vs. Argentina will be very close to:

98-82

Not an arsewhoopin, but not a close game either.

-EJ, who has spoken with the gods.

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Remember, I am a professional. The score of U.S. vs. Argentina will be very close to:

98-82

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/paralyzedsmile/Others/cameron.jpg A professional what?

I'll go with 97-81, Bob... I mean Drew.

heyman25
08-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Chris Bosh will probably be on Ginobli when there is a switch. The USA' s defense will be kicked up a notch. They have the best scouts in the world giving Collins, Dawkins and Wojo every possible tendencies every player on Team Argentina does when they are on the court. That will be given to Team USA. They will be prepared. I still would like to see higher fg and ft %'s from the entire team. There ft shooting is atrocious.

heyman25
08-22-2008, 02:57 AM
From ESPN
"They will attack us with their system, and they believe they can beat us," said chief U.S. scout Tony Ronzone, who stayed up with the American coaching staff until 4 a.m. on Thursday reviewing game tapes and tinkering with the game plan for the renewal of the rivalry

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 10:23 AM
This is crap. Table Tennis is on USA network.

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Looking fairly decent so far. Up 20-4. Wow.

-EJ

Indoor66
08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
US 21 Argentina 4 time out in first quarter!

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Yah, I am watching online now. Kobe and Lebron are possessed on Defense!!

Indoor66
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM

The game is on NBC

snowdenscold
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Is http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html my best bet?

I hate installing addons.

dkbaseball
08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Where are you finding it?

Indoor66
08-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Halftime: USA 30, Argentina 12

CORRECTION: that is a 1ST QUArTER score

terrih
08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I found the live link at nbcolympics.com.

Not showing it live out here on the west coast- lame- so have to watch online.

mr. synellinden
08-22-2008, 10:45 AM

You mean, end of 1st quarter or halftime?

Duvall
08-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Actually, it's the end of the 1st quarter.

Bluedog
08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Actually, it's the end of the 1st quarter.

And that was with Argentina hitting a 3 at the buzzer. For the first 9:50, we held them to just 9 points.

77devil
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Looking fairly decent so far.
-EJ

Understatement of the week EJ.

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Zone is giving us some trouble again...

statik73
08-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I've lost the video feed from NBCOlympics.com

anyone else lose it?

balkan boy
08-22-2008, 11:08 AM
falling apart in the second quarter... from 37-18 at one point to 46-40 now....

offense looks terrible.

Balkan Boy

statik73
08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
what is going on how have they cut it to 6?

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
nah, it's just the shooting that looks terrible. Everyone is getting open threes... we just can't hit one.

dcarp23
08-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Both teams appear to be getting FIBA'd. 29 fouls called in the first half, including 18 in the second quarter.

roywhite
08-22-2008, 11:14 AM
nah, it's just the shooting that looks terrible. Everyone is getting open threes... we just can't hit one.

Of 33 FG attempts, 20 have been from 3-pt for US and hit only 6.

Argentina getting every rebound on missed 3's; did not turn ball over in 2nd quarter very much, and played good solid offense. And hit their free throws.

9 point margin at half; need to tighten the defense; figure out how to attack the zone with more than 3-pt attempts.

Argentina has foul trouble and injury problems; they are unlikely to last.

statik73
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Has anyone else lost their feed from nbcolympics.com, or is it just me?

statik73
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
nevermind I just got it back now that it is half time.

billybreen
08-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I missed the first half. Is Ginobli hurt, or did he just sit in the 1st due to foul trouble?

roywhite
08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I missed the first half. Is Ginobli hurt, or did he just sit in the 1st due to foul trouble?

He played some and then limped off.

mapei
08-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes, he appears injured early - went to the locker room and stayed.

I have that nervous comeback-against-Duke feeling, especially with the crowd rooting for Argentina.

wolfpackdevil
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
this has been a good game so far, but I still don't think Agentina will be able to hang on for a whole nother half.

USA still wins by the same score, 9

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
dirty dirty fouls from Argentina....

balkan boy
08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
offense looks much better in the 3rd, but no one can stop scola -- he's got 20, i think, though he just picked up his 3rd foul...

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Is Boozer on the team? Does he ever play?

Showing my bandwagoness here.

-EJ

Duvall
08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Is Boozer on the team? Does he ever play?

Showing my bandwagoness here.

-EJ

Boozer is the benchwarmer for this team, which should give you a sense of the talent they have to work with.

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
:mad: This is total BS. The game was listed as being on USA and Telemundo (at the right time). I set a recording on both channels just in case. USA is showing pingpong and Telemundo futbol. NBC has the game 3 hours delayed. Comcast doesn't offer the nbc basketball channel either - I'm fed up with this. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but after the Olympics I'm switching to Dish.

Indoor66
08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
:mad: This is total BS. The game was listed as being on USA and Telemundo. I set a recording on both channels just in case. USA is showing pingpong and Telemundo futbol. Comcast doesn't offer the nbc basketball channel either, I'm fed up with this. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but after the Olympics I'm switching to Dish.

I am getting the game on the regular NBC network channel.

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
:mad: This is total BS. The game was listed as being on USA and Telemundo (at the right time). I set a recording on both channels just in case. USA is showing pingpong and Telemundo futbol. NBC has the game 3 hours delayed. Comcast doesn't offer the nbc basketball channel either - I'm fed up with this. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but after the Olympics I'm switching to Dish.

Its on plain old nbc, not any special channel, as far as I can tell. Obviously your programming may be different, but have you checked?

BlueintheFace
08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Its on plain old nbc, not any special channel, as far as I can tell. Obviously your programming may be different, but have you checked?

It's on NBC but delayed. the 3rd quarter just ended in real time. You can watch it online at nbcolympics.com for free.

blublood
08-22-2008, 11:56 AM
It's on NBC but delayed. the 3rd quarter just ended in real time. You can watch it online at nbcolympics.com for free.

Actually, you can't unless you're a cable subscriber, apparently. Stupid, stupid, bleeping NBC and stupid, stupid Fauxlympics!! :mad:

jipops
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Only 4 pts off turnovers through 3 quarters for the US. This is highly unusual.

Need Kobe and LeBron to spark the 4th.

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I am getting the game on the regular NBC network channel.

I should have mentioned: I'm on the West coast.

balkan boy
08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
just can't quite put them away...

billybreen
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Not quite, but you are still correct to a point. Please all, do NOT be to amazed how accurate I am on this. Remember, I am a professional. The score of U.S. vs. Argentina will be very close to:

98-82

Not an arsewhoopin, but not a close game either.

-EJ, who has spoken with the gods.

Pretty close, my man.

MChambers
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Did they just say that the title game is at 2:30 pm Sunday Beijing time? Ugh.

roywhite
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
101-81 final. On to the Gold Medal game.

First period turned out to be decisive. Argentina IMO is definitely the best team I've seen face the USA. Scola was terrific.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes, he appears injured early - went to the locker room and stayed.

I have that nervous comeback-against-Duke feeling, especially with the crowd rooting for Argentina.

The infamous 18 point lead reared its ugly head in the 3rd quarter and I got pretty nervous too, but then someone hit a FT and pushed it to 19 and I felt a wave of relief.

Nice 2nd half USA!

BTW, how exactly does Scola get to play with 8 fouls?

Edouble
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
USA over Argentina 103-81

Closer than EarlJam...

77devil
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Never in doubt. Next play.

devildownunder
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
the guys got up big early, saw ginobili was out and coasted in. VERY sloppy tonight. Thank goodness Delfino didn't start raining threes and thank goodness their, uh, physical, ahem, play got them into foul trouble.

If we can play this poorly and still win by 20, maybe I've got no reason to be concerned.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Is http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html my best bet?

I hate installing addons.

installing add-ons is like improving your computers immune system.

mapei
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Scola is a really good player. I don't follow the NBA, but I assume he plays for someone? Does he start? I'm impressed.

Ugly game, and the US was a bit fortunate that Ginobli didn't play much. I still think the US would have won, but it would have been more of a nail-biter. Missed free throws (compared to high % of makes for Argentina), spotty 3-point shooting, very few offensive boards against the zone, very few forced backcourt turnovers, lots of turnovers on the US side. Argentina played the US dead even after the 1st quarter and better for long stretches.

LeBron was very quiet for a change. Anthony scored a lot, and we needed it, but he seems a bit like a time bomb waiting to go off in the wrong way - he's the only US player I don't have a great feeling about. Love Bosh.

K is *much* more restrained than in Duke games. I'm glad for that, because I want him to show well. I think Duke's national stature improves a bit if the US continues to win with class and dominates the gold medal game.

Duvall
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Love Bosh.

Bosh has really been a revelation in this tournament. It's a shame that the NBA is still hiding him in Canada.

snowdenscold
08-22-2008, 12:45 PM

How does adding some special proprietary video player into firefox help my computer's security?

Acymetric
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Anthony scored a lot, and we needed it, but he seems a bit like a time bomb waiting to go off in the wrong way - he's the only US player I don't have a great feeling about.

I'm not exactly what you mean by that, but based on his comments and the way he's played (though not as well as the last tournament) don't indicate any potential problems to me, especially with one game left. He really took the performance 4 years ago hard, and seems very determined to avoid that this year. I expect in 4 years he will be one of the key veterans on the team. A team lacking Kobe and Kidd, and probably some others. I can't remember how old a lot of guys are. But expect Paul, Williams, and Melo to be the core of the next team, along with Bosh and Howard. I have doubts about many of the other players returning in 4 years.

Turk
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

I think add-ons are like obscure kitchen gadgets that you buy and use once when trying out some strange recipe for a neighborhood potluck. You never use it again and then months later you see it in the back of the drawer and say "What in the name of Wolfgang Puck is that thing, and where did it come from?!?"

As for the USA, I was watching with the sound off and thought it was a workmanlike, solid, professional performance against a very good team. Argentina was the most effective of any opponent at trying to pack it in against USA with success. When the lead went from 20+ to single digits in the second quarter, I thought the US offense dried up because there was help on anyone trying to drive, kickouts, missed jumpers, and no one but Argentines rebounding. On offense, the Argentines drew fouls, ran their sets, and made a few shots. But USA fixed that in the 2nd half and stayed in control the whole way. I wished Ginobli didn't get hurt to get that excuse off the table, and the less said about FIBA reffing the better...

Scola was a beast... Maybe the Argentinians chant "Luis doesn't foul!!" P.S. to Mapei - he plays for Houston, and he was one of the reasons why the Rockets were still successful when Yao got hurt last season.

fan345678
08-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Free throw stats:

US- 36 attempts
Argentina- 16 attempts

I think the Olympic refs are intimidated by K.

jipops
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Scola is a really good player. I don't follow the NBA, but I assume he plays for someone? Does he start? I'm impressed.

Ugly game, and the US was a bit fortunate that Ginobli didn't play much. I still think the US would have won, but it would have been more of a nail-biter. Missed free throws (compared to high % of makes for Argentina), spotty 3-point shooting, very few offensive boards against the zone, very few forced backcourt turnovers, lots of turnovers on the US side. Argentina played the US dead even after the 1st quarter and better for long stretches.

LeBron was very quiet for a change. Anthony scored a lot, and we needed it, but he seems a bit like a time bomb waiting to go off in the wrong way - he's the only US player I don't have a great feeling about. Love Bosh.

K is *much* more restrained than in Duke games. I'm glad for that, because I want him to show well. I think Duke's national stature improves a bit if the US continues to win with class and dominates the gold medal game.

Scola was a beast this past season for the Rockets which are very tough up front with him and Ming in the frontcourt.

Turk
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Free throw stats:

US- 36 attempts
Argentina- 16 attempts

Nah, just the physical way Argentina plays - they put the body on people at every chance, and would rather give up free throws than layups or dunks when possible.

As noted in an upstream post, K is not saying much, and I've noticed both the Argentine coach and the Greek coach being much more demonstrative and vocal while working the refs. It's obvious the whole team is conscious of our image - in addition to K being more restrained, the players are not doing much showboating or posing either...

Duvall
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Free throw stats:

US- 36 attempts
Argentina- 16 attempts

Michael Phelps. Usain Bolt. Mike Krzyzewski. Best in the world at what they do.

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Michael Phelps. Usain Bolt. Mike Krzyzewski. Best in the world at what they do.

Time to drug-test Coach K.

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Time to drug-test Coach K.

That is funny!

What if they DID drug test him and found that he was doping? Is it illegal for coaches or just players?

-EJ

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Pretty close, my man.

Thanks man. Lucky guess.

I actually changed my prediction and got it exactly right, but forgot to post it before the game. :rolleyes:

-EJ

EarlJam
08-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Closer than EarlJam...

Why is your heart so full of hate? (there is supposed to be a smiley face here).

-EJ

tele
08-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Free throw stats:

US- 36 attempts
Argentina- 16 attempts

USA gets all the calls.

elvis14
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm not exactly what you mean by that, but based on his comments and the way he's played (though not as well as the last tournament) don't indicate any potential problems to me, especially with one game left. He really took the performance 4 years ago hard, and seems very determined to avoid that this year. I expect in 4 years he will be one of the key veterans on the team. A team lacking Kobe and Kidd, and probably some others. I can't remember how old a lot of guys are. But expect Paul, Williams, and Melo to be the core of the next team, along with Bosh and Howard. I have doubts about many of the other players returning in 4 years.

In four years, hopefully we will have enough young, skilled players to allow us to leave "Melo" at home. Did you see the 3rd quarter? Howard got fouled hard and he handled it like a man (he wasn't happy about it but he didn't get all in the guys grill). Anthony pulls an ugly-American-NBA move and goes to get in the guys face. The rest of the guys on team USA calmly escorted Carmelo away from the action and hopefully explained to him that his actions were inappropriate and that it's not 2004. I'd prefer for Carmelo not to represent the USA. We can win without him. I was a little disappointed in Coach K, he should have benched CA for the rest of the game.

As for the game. Argentina played physical and really stuck with it the whole time. We took that first quarter lead and did what we needed to do to play for the gold. It was a good performance. Would have been really good with a little better shooting. Would have like to have seen Redd get some 3 point shots and Carlos get a chance to body up Scola!

Duvall
08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
In four years, hopefully we will have enough young, skilled players to allow us to leave "Melo" at home. Did you see the 3rd quarter? Howard got fouled hard and he handled it like a man (he wasn't happy about it but he didn't get all in the guys grill). Anthony pulls an ugly-American-NBA move and goes to get in the guys face. The rest of the guys on team USA calmly escorted Carmelo away from the action and hopefully explained to him that his actions were inappropriate and that it's not 2004. I'd prefer for Carmelo not to represent the USA. We can win without him. I was a little disappointed in Coach K, he should have benched CA for the rest of the game.

I can't recall Coach K ever getting upset with a player for not backing down to physical play, as long as they don't do anything stupid, which Anthony never got the chance to do.

devildownunder
08-23-2008, 01:52 AM
I can't recall Coach K ever getting upset with a player for not backing down to physical play, as long as they don't do anything stupid, which Anthony never got the chance to do.

Also, Scola raked his finger down across Howard's face on that play. It's never a smart move for a player to try to do something that would lead to a fight and a ejection but an angry response from someone on the floor for team USA was certainly understandable. I don't think you can label Anthony a hothead over this incident.

studdlee10
08-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Carmelo more than anybody on the USA team (including Lebron) has been an absolute target. Part of it is the way he plays, his game...but he gets bodied up and hacked like no other player. I dont mind seeing him sticking up for himself.

hc5duke
08-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Also, Scola raked his finger down across Howard's face on that play. It's never a smart move for a player to try to do something that would lead to a fight and a ejection but an angry response from someone on the floor for team USA was certainly understandable. I don't think you can label Anthony a hothead over this incident.

Besides, we all know Carmelo is way too fast to get in a fight anyway (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4410889144887288309) (0:33 mark)

From the games I've seen, I think Melo brings a lot to the team. Having said that, I just watched the play, and he clearly overreacted, and it's a good thing Kidd was standing right there.

Edouble
08-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Why is your heart so full of hate? (there is supposed to be a smiley face here).

-EJ

No hate, just love and some competitive predictability with a quality opponent. Also just childishly mad that noone gave me props for my very close final score prediction (103-81). If Boozer hadn't missed that final, sort of awful shot that he took, I would have been on the money exactly.