PDA

View Full Version : One more reason to hate FoxSports

hc5duke
08-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Guess who they think is the most overrated player in the NBA is (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8455178&MSNHPHMA#sport=NBA&photo=8455148)?

Battier is as consistent as winter rain in the Northwest — if by consistent you mean consistently mediocre... The former Duke star has been a bigger beneficiary of his past reputation than any other player in the league.

Hmm... sounds like somebody went to UNC. Thankfully, most of the comments are bashing the writer (who wrote this anonymously no less) for mentioning Shane.

phaedrus
08-19-2008, 09:53 PM
One of the most illogical pieces I've ever seen. Is this the standard of journalism we must get accustomed to in the Internet age?

I particularly like the reader comment, "Your family should be embarrassed by this article."

jipops
08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Hubie Brown had a great quote about Shane a few years back. Said something like if every player came into every game as focused and playing as hard as Shane does, then every NBA arena would be sold out every single night.

Sounds far from mediocre to me.

Newton_14
08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Hubie Brown had a great quote about Shane a few years back. Said something like if every player came into every game as focused and playing as hard as Shane does, then every NBA arena would be sold out every single night.

Sounds far from mediocre to me.

Not to mention that he is considered (by real basketball experts) to be one of the best defenders at his position in the league. The article is a joke and the writer obviously a high ranking member of the Hate Duke Family..

BD80
08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Very insightful piece - WAIT - I can't even say that sarcastically.

This guy is all over the place and all kinds of wrong.

Criteria? Tough to say:

Winning? Dwyane Wade is one of the 5 most overrated players? (Must have been written before the Olympics started.) Cites the Heat's awful record.

Defense? Yao Ming is another overrated player because the team wins without him, he is oft injured and he doesn't play defense!

Value? Shawn Marion was criticized for a huge contract and for pouting.

Shane wins even without his 7'6" center, plays D, hits clutch shots, always plays and has a reasonable contract.

When it comes to valuating Shane, the guy truly goes off the track. If the best minds in basketball think he is one of the top 15 players for the OLYMPIC TEAM, maybe he isn't overrated at all.

This was obviously chosen before the Olympics, choosing Wade is just ridiculous, and criticizing Colangelo and K for their selections is similarly foolish.

I would nominate Iverson, Agent 0, Amare Stoudamire, and Ben Gordon, current media favorites that are merely stat stuffers that don't play both ways.

RelativeWays
08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Doesnt Pat Forde with ESPN hate Duke? I think a few months ago talking about various NBA trades and Battier was mentioned, even he said every team needs a Shane Battier. I still don't get how people think he's overrated, he performs exactly as expected, good defense, rebounds, 10-12 a game and has an outside shot. He doesn't need to be a big scorer because they have McGrady, Yao and now Artest. A lot of people thought the 2004 team failed because they DIDN'T have enough role players like Redd, Prince and Battier.

COYS
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
At least the writer could try to disguise his hate for Duke. There is not an ounce of logic in this entire article, and Battier's piece is the worst. Why is he overrated? Because he was a star in college but is merely a role player (and one of the best role players, at that) in the NBA? Is it because he was a top 10 draft pick but became merely a role player? Either way, there are players that fit these criteria that are far worse and/or disappointing than Battier, who basically does exactly what his team wants him to do, every single time he steps on the court.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm not so sure it's merely a Duke-bias that led to this writer's bizarre list. The writer seems to just be randomly choosing players that he doesn't like for some reason.

He puts Wade (the guy who's probably having the best Olympics out of the entire Team USA) at #5 and added Robert Horry at #4. Not sure I've seen anyone listing Robert Horry in their top fantasy NBA picks.

COYS
08-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not so sure it's merely a Duke-bias that led to this writer's bizarre list. The writer seems to just be randomly choosing players that he doesn't like for some reason.

He puts Wade (the guy who's probably having the best Olympics out of the entire Team USA) at #5 and added Robert Horry at #4. Not sure I've seen anyone listing Robert Horry in their top fantasy NBA picks.

You might be right, but it still seems an anti-Duke bias could be his only reason for putting Battier at number 1. It's such an absurd list, but having Battier at number one, even of the players on the list, makes absolutely no sense.

Edouble
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
The writer doesn't seem to be particularly anti-Duke, he just seems like a moron. I like how he notes that Yao is overrated because his team is better without him, but then one of those key team members repsonsible for their win streak when Yao was out, Battier, is also overrated.

RelativeWays
08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm really sorry I gave the piece the time of day. I read somewhere that "top arbitrary number" lists have increased in frequency on various sites because they're cheap but effective ways to generate hits, traffic, those ever precious diggs. Because they are little more than opinion pieces designed to generate controversy and traffic, there is little or no accountability. Battier is pretty well respected around the league by players, fans and analysts and he was never billed as a star player. He does have the Duke pedigree so it makes him an ideal target. We're hated by a lot of people but we have a lot of fans too, and those fans are going to jump to the defense of one of the most beloved Duke players ever, particularly one who has had a successful pro career. Dwayne Wade doesn't make any sense either. Anyway, next time you happen upon a top arbitrary number of controversial entries, just remember its traffic bait with no merit, no substance.

DevilDan
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
The article and it's " Top 5 " are CRAP. I don't usually go for the jugular, but this is just too much. DWade is showing the kind of player he IS, when he is healthy (delightfully, at our Olympic opponents' expense ! ). To attack RHorry is insane, for a player who has almost always delivered in the clutch, and at his age is still a "wanted man" in the League.

Then comes the lowest cut of all ... Shane is invaluable to his team. The same could be said if he played for any other NBA team. He does the little things that his coach counts on, while his teammates post the big numbers in the book. Throughout his DUKE career, he delivered in the areas where the team needed him. He posted "the numbers" in his Jr/Sr years when Coach K needed him to.

I just bet that if the Rockets wanted him to score more, he COULD and WOULD. I'm ready to THROW on this one. GO DUKE !

JStuart
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Could someone tell me why Shane wasn't picked for the Olympic team? I'm sure it has been discussed, and I probably missed it.
Thanks

Edouble
08-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Could someone tell me why Shane wasn't picked for the Olympic team? I'm sure it has been discussed, and I probably missed it.
Thanks

Shane withdrew his name for consideration because he had to have off-season ankle surgery. The first mini-camp for roster hopefuls was scheduled a week before Shane was allowed to start running post-surgery, so there was no way he could be ready in time to go after a spot on the Olympic Team.

moonpie23
08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
peeps.....it's FOX......

not news......

next they will be telling us Will Farrell was the most over rated Cowbell-ist....sheesh....

moonpie23
08-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks

who would you take off?

Jumbo
08-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks

Shane and Heidi also had a baby (http://blackcelebkids.com/2008/06/11/celebrity-baby-news-via-nba-player-shane-battier/)in June.

hc5duke
08-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Shane and Heidi also had a baby (http://blackcelebkids.com/2008/06/11/celebrity-baby-news-via-nba-player-shane-battier/)in June.

classy comments on that site...

Edouble
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
who would you take off?

I think Shane would have easily been competative for Tayshaun's spot. Shane was a starter 2 years ago, and Prince is like the 10th or 11th man, so it seems like Shane would have had a good chance to make the squad. It's possible that he could have had Boozer's spot too. Although it's good to be three deep at center, Boozer simply isn't playing that much. Today we had LeBron and 'Melo in the frontcourt at one point.

We could have conceivably left Deron Williams off too, with Kidd, Paul, Kobe, and LeBron available to play point.

If it were up to me personally, I would have Shane on the team for Tayshaun, although I have no problem with Prince being on the team.