PDA

View Full Version : Iranian 7'2"

Uncle Drew
08-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Okay I know someone is going to tell me I'm dreaming a pipe dream and the chances of this happening are slim to none. But with so much interest in foreign players and the word on this guy is he isn't quite good enough to make the NBA. Why couldn't Duke offer him a scholorship as a "project". Yes I know it's Iran, I don't even want to get into the politics. And yes I'm sure there is a language barrier like with a former not recruit named John we are no longer allowed to mention his name. But if Coach K already has ties to international and olympic basketball, maybe he might want to give him a little try out to see how high his ceiling might be.......

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/18/1274131.aspx

hc5duke
08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Okay I know someone is going to tell me I'm dreaming a pipe dream and the chances of this happening are slim to none. But with so much interest in foreign players and the word on this guy is he isn't quite good enough to make the NBA. Why couldn't Duke offer him a scholorship as a "project". Yes I know it's Iran, I don't even want to get into the politics. And yes I'm sure there is a language barrier like with a former not recruit named John we are no longer allowed to mention his name. But if Coach K already has ties to international and olympic basketball, maybe he might want to give him a little try out to see how high his ceiling might be.......

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/18/1274131.aspx

He's played professionally overseas... doesn't that automatically make him ineligible to play in the NCAA?

jmb
08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Last I checked we were engaged in another 7' project

Uncle Drew
08-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Last I checked we were engaged in another 7' project

Yeah I know, and Watzone and Sumner are going to tell me to see a shrink so that 7' height mark doesn't seem so impressive. Like I said it's a pipe dream, but I will guarantee you some school, some where will investigate the possibility of getting this guy on their team. If he were actually to go to school it may end up being a Div II or III school, they do call him a project after all. All I'm saying is it took Dave Odom venturing to see some guy named Tim Duncan down in the Virgin Islands to win a couple of ACC tournaments. Diamonds in the rough are hard to come by but they are out there.

And yeah if he played professionally I think that does rule him out. But I was hoping maybe if he was playing in some third world country they payed him in live chickens and yams. (For the record anyone who wants a painting done for sweet potatoes, we can work out a deal.) And I was hoping that didn't violate NCAA rules.

blazindw
08-19-2008, 06:48 AM
David Stern has told all 30 NBA teams that they cannot pursue this guy, Hamed Ehadadi, because of U.S. laws prohibiting a person or organization in the U.S. from engaging in business dealings with Iranian nationals. I guess the NBA is working on a solution to the issue so that NBA teams can try to sign him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=aw-nbairan081608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Even if he's eligible for college ball, the NCAA, and thus Duke, might fall under this law.

JasonEvans
08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
And yeah if he played professionally I think that does rule him out. But I was hoping maybe if he was playing in some third world country they payed him in live chickens and yams. (For the record anyone who wants a painting done for sweet potatoes, we can work out a deal.) And I was hoping that didn't violate NCAA rules.

Not that it matters, but if he was paid in chickens or yams or anything of value then he is not NCAA eligible. Being "paid to play" does not require that you be paid in cash, it merely requires that you receive something of value. There are cases of high school kids losing their eligibility because they took part in a half-time shooting contest and won a plane ticket. There are European kids who have lost eligibility because they had a meal paid for by a professional team, I think.

Of course, this begs the question of how the NCAA can call kids amateurs when those kids get scholarships (certainly something of great value) in exchange for playing a sport, but that is not a debate to have here or now.

--Jason "K is too much of a Republican to recruit an Iranian ;) " Evans

jimsumner
08-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Latta, go see a shrink.

Okay, with that out of the way, Latta has raised an interesting broader point. Will K's international ties lead to international recruiting benefits. It's a tantalizing possibility but I don't think we should hold our breathes.

Duke has recruited three Canadians over the years, Cameron Hall (Foster), Dan Meagher, and Greg Newton. All three were from Ontario, only miles from the U.S. border, and all participated in what we could broadly call the United State-Canada basketball circuit.

K has also recruited non-Americans Christian Ast, Luol Deng, Eric Boateng, Marty Pocius, and Olek Czyz. Am I forgetting anyone? All of these guys played prep ball in the United States, went to summer camps in the U.S., played AAU ball and all that sort of stuff. So, even though they were/are international players in one sense, they were still part of the US system.

The United States has a pretty unique pro-feeder system; high school to college to the pros. Nobody else really does it this way. So to recruit a player who truly is from outside the U.S. a number of questions need to be asked and answered. The bigee; assuming prepsters have come up through the club system, have they received benefits that would make them ineligible under NCAA rules? What is the talent level of the competition? The coaching? Do they speak English well enough to be able to handle an academcially-elite institution?

I'm not saying it is impossible that K and Duke will reap a foreign-pipeline bonanza but there are some structural impediments that make it unlikely. IMO.

riverside6
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Am I forgetting anyone?

I quickly looked at our database, and you hit all the players that has a non-US location as their hometown.

Uncle Drew
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Does anyone know a shrink that will accept payment in live chickens and yams? :D

El_Diablo
08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Of course, this begs the question of how the NCAA can call kids amateurs when those kids get scholarships (certainly something of great value) in exchange for playing a sport, but that is not a debate to have here or now.

Don't forget the food points! They can get all the chicken and yams they want from the Marketplace!

BD80
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I quickly looked at our database, and you hit all the players that has a non-US location as their hometown.

Doh! You forgot Trajan and Carlos!

Just like Homer Simpson, they left Alaska to come to the United States!

Edouble
08-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Latta, I am a big fan of your posts, but do we really want a Serge Zwikker/Neil Fingleberry project on our hands?

ugadevil
08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Well...it looks like Memphis beat us out on this recruit! Grizzlies, that is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3558642

Uncle Drew
08-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Latta, I am a big fan of your posts, but do we really want a Serge Zwikker/Neil Fingleberry project on our hands?

Serge!!!!!!!!!!! It's really bad when you don't know your own name is pronounced "Sar-gay". As for Fingleberry I'm going to leave that one alone. It sounds like some reject flavor of Snapple.

The Grizz can have the guy. I was just hoping Coach K could get a little something extra for his Olympic work since he didn't actually get a medal. (You know Boozer has just been checking his reflection in that gold to kid Coach K.)

hc5duke
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Serge!!!!!!!!!!! It's really bad when you don't know your own name is pronounced "Sar-gay".

(putting on my amateur linguist cap :)) I'm guessing he's Doyt-sche, so it'd be more like ZURR-guh.

Uncle Drew
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
(putting on my amateur linguist cap :)) I'm guessing he's Doyt-sche, so it'd be Zurr-gay.

Okay you're good HC5! Born in Maassluis, Netherlands according to his Wikipedia page. At any rate we agree it's not pronounced Suuuurge as in power surge. And having a set of twins in Holland is not considered a double Dutch.

dukeimac
08-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Okay, think about it.

The guy is from Iran. If some college wanted to sign him they would be taking the chance that the Iranians could call him home any time. And as with Yao, you know he would have to play for their national team. That would pretty much mean no summers at Duke.

Yea Duke should make him an offer.

Uncle Drew
08-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Okay, think about it.

The guy is from Iran. If some college wanted to sign him they would be taking the chance that the Iranians could call him home any time. And as with Yao, you know he would have to play for their national team. That would pretty much mean no summers at Duke.

Yea Duke should make him an offer.

الدببه قد وقعت بالفعل على ذلك هو انه غير القضية الان. ولكن الآن لا ازال اقول ان المدرب لديه بعض ك شهرة عالمية وينبغي ان ننظر في الخارجية الواعده ان اللاعبين يرغبون في الذهاب الى الكليه. اذا كان الدوق تستطيع الحصول على المركز ان تلعب مثل تشامبرلن والذبول اونيل حب الطفل لا يهمني اذا كان الرجل هو من زحل!

In case you didn't get that......

The Grizzlies have already signed him so it's a non issue now. But I still say now that Coach K has some international fame they should look at promising foreign players that want to go to college. If Duke can get a center that plays like Wilt Chamberlain and O'Neal's love child I don't care if the guy is from Saturn!

mgtr
08-30-2008, 05:17 PM
[SIZE="3"]If Duke can get a center that plays like Wilt Chamberlain and O'Neal's love child I don't care if the guy is from Saturn!

I am guessing you must mean Tatum O'Neal?
I don't know about any players from Saturn (in fact, most centers wouldn't fit in a Saturn) but, since the Iran connection didn't work out, maybe we should check out North Korea.

BD80
08-30-2008, 06:06 PM
... a center that plays like Wilt Chamberlain and O'Neal's love child ...

I know Wilt was not the most chaste individual to grace the planet, and Shaq has demonstrated questionable judgment in his personal affairs, but that is truly a union beyond imagining.

Uncle Drew
08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
I am guessing you must mean Tatum O'Neal?
I don't know about any players from Saturn (in fact, most centers wouldn't fit in a Saturn) but, since the Iran connection didn't work out, maybe we should check out North Korea.

친애하는 7 개의 키 북한의 농구 선수가되었음을 선포합니다 사람의 이름을 드릴 수없습니다. 그것왔다 이유를 설명할 시간이 다르다는 항상 주위를 보였합니다. 당신은 자식을 보인다 선수 윌트와 비디오 게임의 사랑을 위해 포기가 채택하고있습니다. 이 모든 것은 이해할 수를 조금 충격적일 수있습니다. 그러나 생각이 그렇다면 귀하의 이복 동생을 만나보세요 스코 틀 란드 홀수해야합니다. 골드버그와 캐롯 사이에 사진에 교차합니다.

어떤 비율로 인해 평균 이상의 지능과 재능이 농구 당신의 능력을 떠날 시간이 여러분들을 위해 북한과 미국에 오셨합니다. 당신의 계획과하고 예약을하시기 바랍니다 38번째 병렬 방식의 시간을 건너 2000 11 시즌합니다. 개방이 있기 때문에 듀크 대학에서 대기합니다. 우리의 언어 장벽을 완전히 이해하기는 어려울 그리고 우리는 모든 가능한 쉽게 번역을 시도합니다. 그러나 우리가해야 할 영어뿐 자세히는 말하기를 "지옥에 캐롤라이나"합니다.

마지막으로 귀하의 국가에서 방사성 물질이 어느 정도 남겨 놓고 간하시기 바랍니다 원산지합니다. 그리고 첫 번째 에피소드를 볼 수 매시 시간을 미리인지 여부를 알 다큐멘터리하시기 바랍니다.

And in case you didn't get THAT......

Dear seven foot tall North Korean basketball player who's name we can not pronounce. It has come time to explain why you have always looked so different from those around you. It seems you are the love child of Wilt Chamberlain and Tatum O'Neal and were given up for adoption. It is understandable that all this may come as a shock to you. But if you think you look odd you should meet your half sister in Scotland. Picture a cross between Whoopi Goldberg and Carrot Top.

At any rate due to your above average intelligence and gifted basketball ability the time has come for you to leave North Korea and come to the United States. Please plan and and make your way across the thirty eighth parallel in time for the two thousand eleven season. Because a opening is waiting on you at Duke University. We fully understand the language barrier will be difficult and we will make every attempt to make the translation as easy as possible. However the only English we require you to learn is to say, "Go To Hell Carolina".

Finally please leave any radioactive materials in your country of origin. And the first time you see an episode of MASH please know beforehand it is NOT a documentary.

:D

hc5duke
08-31-2008, 12:32 AM
친애하는 7 개의 키 북한의 농구 선수가되었음을 선포합니다 사람의 이름을 드릴 수없습니다. 그것왔다 이유를 설명할 시간이 다르다는 항상 주위를 보였합니다. 당신은 자식을 보인다 선수 윌트와 비디오 게임의 사랑을 위해 포기가 채택하고있습니다. 이 모든 것은 이해할 수를 조금 충격적일 수있습니다. 그러나 생각이 그렇다면 귀하의 이복 동생을 만나보세요 스코 틀 란드 홀수해야합니다. 골드버그와 캐롯 사이에 사진에 교차합니다.

어떤 비율로 인해 평균 이상의 지능과 재능이 농구 당신의 능력을 떠날 시간이 여러분들을 위해 북한과 미국에 오셨합니다. 당신의 계획과하고 예약을하시기 바랍니다 38번째 병렬 방식의 시간을 건너 2000 11 시즌합니다. 개방이 있기 때문에 듀크 대학에서 대기합니다. 우리의 언어 장벽을 완전히 이해하기는 어려울 그리고 우리는 모든 가능한 쉽게 번역을 시도합니다. 그러나 우리가해야 할 영어뿐 자세히는 말하기를 "지옥에 캐롤라이나"합니다.

마지막으로 귀하의 국가에서 방사성 물질이 어느 정도 남겨 놓고 간하시기 바랍니다 원산지합니다. 그리고 첫 번째 에피소드를 볼 수 매시 시간을 미리인지 여부를 알 다큐멘터리하시기 바랍니다.

This doesn't make any sense at all... I'll even give you an Asian smiley response -_-

Uncle Drew
08-31-2008, 12:36 AM
This doesn't make any sense at all... I'll even give you an Asian smiley response -_-

It may not make any sense, but me thinks you got your Asian smiley face from the Spanish Olympic Basketball team. Too funny hc5, props X 1000!

Carlos
08-31-2008, 11:27 AM
A bad report (http://3shadesofblue.blogspot.com/2008/08/whos-your-haddadi-grizzlies-sign.html) on Hamed Haddadi signing with Memphis but a really good headline: Who's Your Haddadi?

devildeac
08-31-2008, 11:49 AM
A bad report (http://3shadesofblue.blogspot.com/2008/08/whos-your-haddadi-grizzlies-sign.html) on Hamed Haddadi signing with Memphis but a really good headline: Who's Your Haddadi?

I can't believe the writer put that comment in there wondering if he was bringing his own camel. Stereotype much? Sheesh.

Uncle Drew
08-31-2008, 02:51 PM
I can't believe the writer put that comment in there wondering if he was bringing his own camel. Stereotype much? Sheesh.

That was actually a misprint in the article, it should have said Camels as it is common knowledge the 7'2" Iranian player is a chain smoker. (So much for stunting your growth!) I prefer Marlboro myself, Camels give me a hack cough. :p