PDA

View Full Version : Islands in the Stream

EarlJam
08-18-2008, 02:21 PM
In that song from way back, I believe sung by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, well, are small masses of land completely surrounded by water and located in streams technically islands?

I'm not sure they are.

If they are indeed (or can be) islands, then there is another lyric(s) that can rightfully be brought into question. If a small land mass in a stream can be an island, well, if you take a deceased man and tie him down to a river (or stream) bed, exposing only his top half, would that make him an island as well? Hence, the conventional wisdom of "No man is an island" would be, or could be, debunked. Incidentally, I don't suppose the man would have to be deceased, but it would make it easier.

-EarlJam

hc5duke
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I think to be considered an "island" for record keeping purposes, 1) it must be above water 365 days a year and 2) it must support at least a single plant life. That's what I remember from some Discovery channel show about (let's see if I remember this) the largest island in a lake on an island in a lake on an island (also mentioned here (http://www.elbruz.org/islands/Islands%20and%20Lakes.htm)).

So to answer your question, plant some shrubbery on that man and we've got a deal.

CameronBornAndBred
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Incidentally, I don't suppose the man would have to be deceased, but it would make it easier.

Leave him tied there long enough, and it's a moot point. My guess is the "islands" you are talking about would be more accurately called sand bars. They are not permanent. Like your dead guy.

Bostondevil
08-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I always thought that song was a euphemism.

EarlJam
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM

I believe that song was created for a bit of on older audience. I'd put songs like "My Generation" by The Who more in the category of a Youthami.......

Oh.

Nevermind.

-Ej

dukestheheat
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM
on a side note, Islands in the Stream is also a novella or otherwise short-story written by the good yet departed Ernest Hemingway.

dth.

Tommac
08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
The Bee Gees actually wrote the song for Kenny and Dolly. I prefer the Bee Gees' recorded version.

Lavabe
08-19-2008, 06:22 AM

I thought it was irony.:rolleyes::eek:;):D

merry
08-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Is an island supposed to be a bad thing? I just spent part of my summer vacation doing some island hopping and I think islands are awesome.

EarlJam
08-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Is an island supposed to be a bad thing? I just spent part of my summer vacation doing some island hopping and I think islands are awesome.

Good question. And when I think of Dolly Parton, I don't think of islands, I think of mountains. Well, mounds. And Dollywood.

-EarlJam