PDA

View Full Version : Chris Sheridan -- ESPN

quickgtp
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I am not sure if he has been discussed here but I have to ask a couple of questions:

1) Does he really dislike Coach K?
2) Is he always so negative?

It seems that every article he has written about Team USA is negative. It hasn't been very long since we destroyed Germany and sure enough Sheridan wrote and article claiming that the Aussies could/will beat us. I understand he has a job to do, and that we should not get too far ahead, but come give the guys some credit for once (including Coach K.)

Does anyone agree or disagree?

CameronBornAndBred
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't know about Sheridan and his take on Coach K in general, but I read that article earlier today and don't disagree with any of it. He is merely pointing out that it's possible to be beat, and Australia is a great candidate to be the team to do it.

freedevil
08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I think he's cautiously optimistic.

roywhite
08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
My take on Sheriden is that he staked out a skeptical (to negative) point of view on Redeem Team early on, and is now covering his bases. The team is playing much better than he expected, which he grudgingly admits.

Similarly, Ric Bucher with ESPN, who is an NBA analyst, started off betting on the field vs the USA, and is now also forced to recognize how well the USA is playing. Just my opinion, but I can't see how a guy in his position who knows how good Kobe, LeBron, Chris Paul, etc, etc. are and has watched the team coming together still bets against them. Expert analyst?

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
It's hilarious how he keeps saying the next team will be the toughest. You can almost hear him rooting against the US in the hopes of being "right" at last.

I also find it amusing that most ESPN writers have a hard time acknowledging the great coaching job being done by the immensely talented US staff. But who cares when you have the best players in the world praising Coach K:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3538411&categoryId=2378529

billybreen
08-18-2008, 01:56 PM
It's hilarious how he keeps saying the next team will be the toughest. You can almost hear him rooting against the US in the hopes of being "right" at last.

I also find it amusing that most ESPN writers have a hard time acknowledging the great coaching job being done by the immensely talented US staff. But who cares when you have the best players in the world praising Coach K:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3538411&categoryId=2378529

Sheridan is just implementing the billybreen plan. Lay off of him! ;)

Marty10
08-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah i think he was just trying to be devil's advocate, he knows just as well as you and I that if USA plays like they have been playing Australia doesn't stand a chance.

cato
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Sheridan is just implementing the billybreen plan. Lay off of him! ;)

Note, also, that Sheriden's approach worked perfectly in '06. He was the skeptical voice proven right by the loss to Greece. He started off the Olympic previews with the same skepticism, but has largely been won over by the team. Before the start of play, he predicted gold for the USA, but has remained steadfast in pointing out potential flaws and pitfalls.

I see nothing wrong with his columns. He is clearly rooting for the USA to succeed, while tempering his hopes.

sagegrouse
It's hilarious how he keeps saying the next team will be the toughest.

You know, it sounds to me like he is channeling Coach K -- who is surely saying the same thing inside the locker room.

sagegrouse

COYS

I gotta agree. Sheridan, other writers, (and I must confess, even me to a much lesser extent) questioned how effective the Coach K defense would be in Olympic play. As other posters have already noted on this board, when the best athletes in the sport band together and truly dedicate themselves to K's brand of aggressive man-to-man defense, it is a sight to behold. Sheridan mentioned that it's easier to slow down the pace of a game than it is to speed it up, but the US defense has been so utterly dominant over the past three games that neither Greece nor Spain could do anything to control the pace. Not to credit that to Coach K and the rest of the staff is just wrong. If you could somehow eliminate any evidence that would betray when the games were being played, you could look at a clip from 2004 and a clip from 2008 and IMMEDIATELY recognize which one was coached by Coach K.

Plus, while our offensive efficiency still isn't great in the half-court, our half-court defense, even when not forcing turnovers, has been very good. Basically, we don't have to rely on our offense to win (although it's been formidable to say the least). Our defense has been enough to carry us so far, and that's a credit to the coaching.

mo.st.dukie
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Obviously anybody can be beat by anybody and I guarantee you that every player for Team USA understands that they can be beaten. It's been stated numerous times how one of the emphasis by the U.S. staff is respect your opponent. ESPN and other writers have been covering Team USA from the beginning and when you have to write a new article just about every day you can't just talk about the positives of the team because you'll run out of things to write about. So every writer focuses on the weaknesses.

Turk
08-18-2008, 02:50 PM
The thing that cracked me up was this quote: "Two weeks ago in Shanghai, the Aussies took the floor without their best player, Andrew Bogut, and were within striking distance of Team USA -- just seven points down -- with five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter." ~snip~

Remember when as kids someone would make a schoolyard threat that had no chance of ever coming true, and everyone would go, "WOOOOOOO... I'm so scared..." and shake in mock horror? That's me with Andrew Bogut.

Since then, USA has elevated their play several levels and destroyed all challengers thus far. Based on what I've seen, I have no doubt that in the games ahead, the opponents might hang with USA for some segment of time - a quarter or two or maybe even three, but there will be a point where the USA will go on a run that will ultimately be unanswered.

I originally thought that the name "Redeem Team" was a lame piece of cheese cooked up to sell T-shirts and air time, but these guys are playing like they mean it. (Forget that nasty coca-cola stuff; where can I order a few more barrels of Coach K's kool aid and have it shipped to David Stern?)

Sure, there's always a risk when it's one-and-done time, which is what makes the NCAA so compelling every year. Australia has a nice team, and Sheridan's cautionary article is duly noted, but Andrew Bogut?!? I don't think so...

"WOOOOOOO... I'm so scared..."

weezie
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I hate the moniker "Redeem Team." Ugh.