PDA

View Full Version : Doyel's Drivels - Shtick in the Mud?

BD80
08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
What has happened to Gregg Doyel???

First he confessed to hating on Coach K, and suggested he might back off of that if we win the gold.

Now he states that of the only TWO advantages the 2008 Olympic BB team has over the 1992 Dream team is Coach K's coaching (the other being Wade as the sixth man over Clyde Drexler).

http://gregg-doyel.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/9976791

Gregg has also apologized for saying Wade is not one of the top 4 or 5 players in the world.

http://gregg-doyel.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/9910537

Can we say catharsis?

Diddy
08-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Everything goes in cycles, and the media's haterfest with Duke may be comming back arround. Most writers seem to take contrarian positions, probably because such opinions will generate more eyeballs for their work.

If Doyell continues to bad-mouth Duke, he will essentially be preaching to the choir, since many other writers and fans openly say the same thing. Or worse. He will back off K and Duke not because he has had a change of heart, but merely because by doing so he will be acting in opposition to the general mood of the college basketball world, thus generating more attention and reaction than YET ANOTHER slam on Duke.

Also, this is the best looking team Duke has had in years, maybe back to 2002 even. Since then, we have had teams with more superstars, but not the quality Depth that we (may) have this year. Since much of college hoops is down, Writers may be wanting to get in good with a quality team.

On a very depressing note, Duke could be comming back into favor for the simple reason that our main rival, UNC, is becomming dominant. Scarily so even. UNC will be a monster this year, despite what is hoped for on these boards. UNC can play bad games and still walk all but 2-3 teams in the ACC this year. Only Duke should require a solid to good outing to ensure victory. Maybe the media is trying to find an anti-unc, and Duke is well suited for the roll.

mo.st.dukie
08-18-2008, 02:52 PM
On a very depressing note, Duke could be comming back into favor for the simple reason that our main rival, UNC, is becomming dominant. Scarily so even. UNC will be a monster this year, despite what is hoped for on these boards. UNC can play bad games and still walk all but 2-3 teams in the ACC this year. Only Duke should require a solid to good outing to ensure victory. Maybe the media is trying to find an anti-unc, and Duke is well suited for the roll.

This is a good point. We saw how the media and NFL fans turned on the Patriots especially after the taping allegations but moreso because they were going undefeated. Everyone was rooting against New England and even said the refs favored them in the Ravens game. I think you could see the same thing happen with UNC this year. At first, the media will have a UNC/Hansbrough lovefest, then when ACC play heats up in February and UNC may still be undefeated we could see fans and media start to root against UNC. I doubt everyone will favor Duke but I could see how UNC could become a very hated team this season much like New England was in football and UCLA was in college basketball.

Carlos
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Also, this is the best looking team Duke has had in years, maybe back to 2002 even. Since then, we have had teams with more superstars, but not the quality Depth that we (may) have this year. Since much of college hoops is down, Writers may be wanting to get in good with a quality team.

It's too early to tell, but the 2004 team sets the bar pretty high.

Also, Doyel would have a lot of sucking up to do before he could even begin to get in good with Duke.

brevity
08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
At first, the media will have a UNC/Hansbrough lovefest, then when ACC play heats up in February and UNC may still be undefeated we could see fans and media start to root against UNC.

If it happens, it's about time.

I have zero problem with any college basketball fan hating Duke, for whatever valid or invalid reason they choose. But, unless they're a Carolina fan, they should hate UNC just as much. Letting the Heels off the hook is just unfair.

It would be interesting for someone to poll specific college hoops fan bases to determine which (Duke or UNC) they hate more. I have a feeling we'd "win" most of these by default, but I think that schools like NC State, Kansas, and Villanova would go in the other direction. I'm not sure about Michigan.

Uncle Drew
08-19-2008, 01:45 AM
If it happens, it's about time.

I have zero problem with any college basketball fan hating Duke, for whatever valid or invalid reason they choose. But, unless they're a Carolina fan, they should hate UNC just as much. Letting the Heels off the hook is just unfair.

It would be interesting for someone to poll specific college hoops fan bases to determine which (Duke or UNC) they hate more. I have a feeling we'd "win" most of these by default, but I think that schools like NC State, Kansas, and Villanova would go in the other direction. I'm not sure about Michigan.

Opposing fans should hate UNC much more, but the average Joe is too stupid to realize it. The biggest conspiracy theory isn't the JFK second shooter or Area 51 it's the Carolina Conspiracy. It's where they control the media, particularly the sports media and cram UNC down our collective throats. It's UNC grad NBA GM's picking a UNC grad to fill out a roster. It's having Stewart Scott Booyow every time he mentions Michael Jordan or another grad playing ANY sport.

Sure a lot of it is jealousy and over the last fifteen years Duke has been more dominant. But go back over the last 30, 40 or 50 years and that isn't the case. Some of us still remember UNC vs. everyone else, and I'm an ABCer for life.

jv001
08-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Opposing fans should hate UNC much more, but the average Joe is too stupid to realize it. The biggest conspiracy theory isn't the JFK second shooter or Area 51 it's the Carolina Conspiracy. It's where they control the media, particularly the sports media and cram UNC down our collective throats. It's UNC grad NBA GM's picking a UNC grad to fill out a roster. It's having Stewart Scott Booyow every time he mentions Michael Jordan or another grad playing ANY sport.

Sure a lot of it is jealousy and over the last fifteen years Duke has been more dominant. But go back over the last 30, 40 or 50 years and that isn't the case. Some of us still remember UNC vs. everyone else, and I'm an ABCer for life.

You are so right. unc should be the most hated team if for nothing else the carolina grad journalists/media (Stewart Scott) craming the holes down our throats. Like you Latta I'm an ABCer for life.