PDA

View Full Version : Mission: IMPOSSIBLE!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-17-2008, 07:40 AM
"Your mission, Mr. Phelps, should you choose to accept it ...."
Those were words we heard every week on television "back in the day" in the late 60's and early 70's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Impossible Peter Graves, as Jim Phelps always accepted the mission. It wouldn't have been much of a television show if he had said, "Nah, I don't think I can do this one."

Well, today, we have witnessed a better drama, and the current day Mr. Phelps, this one named Michael, accepted his Mission: IMPOSSIBLE assignment. Fortunately for us, when he was asked to try to win eight Olympic gold medals, he said to himself "I can do this!" And he did! Mission: ACCOMPLISHED!

Congratulations to Mr. Phelps all the US swimmers on a fantastic show this summer.

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Good catch there! They were pondering after he won the 8th yesterday if we will ever see his feet overtaken. It's pretty hard to imagine. I liked his teammate's comment after, how every athlete out there, regardless of sport, has to tip his hat to Phelps. He equivicated it with the clutch putt to win the Open, the shot to win the NBA finals, etc.. In fact he said Phelps accomplishment overshadows any of those feats, and it's hard to argue against, they in one form or another are duplicated every year. I love that we got to witness history. I imagine, one day, maybe even in our lifetime (it happened in Spitz's) that it might be matched or broken, but I think it will be a long while in the making.