PDA

View Full Version : elena delle donne leaving UConn

NYC Duke Fan
08-16-2008, 06:05 PM
It was announced by UConn that she would be leaving the University and the indication was that she was not going to play basketball in the near future.

There was no mention that she was transferring to another school, but she was quoted that she has personal issues that she has to resolve.

We hope for the best for her.

chrishoke
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Wow.

buddy
08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
She has been under a national microscope since age 13. She missed her high school graduation to go to UConn. She took time off from basketball after her junior year. Many think she just wants to be a normal teenager/college freshman. That's probably not realistic given her skills, but she is entitled to her life in order. I expect she'll play somewhere, sometime.

bludev03
08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
She enrolled in Summer Session I and lasted less than 48 hours before hitchhiking a ride back to her sprawling, plush estate in suburban Wilmington, Delaware.

Because she enrolled as a student, she is now subjected to standard transfer rules. However, if I were UConn, I wouldn't grant her a release until at least two years has passed because she definitely screwed the program over. They could have used that scholarship on a kid who REALLY wanted to go there and would have busted her @ss for the program.

However, this subject is much more fundamental. Elena's family is LOADED with money; her dad is a prominent real estate developer. It's no secret that she can have anything at the snap of her finger. She has shown that she's just not hungry and doesn't have the same desire as thousands of other kids. She just doesn't have a clue as to how much she has - getting a free education, traveling all over the world, and playing basketball. Had she come from a background where her family struggled....or if she had to work a couple of job (as a lot of college students do) to help pay for her tuition....or if she had a career threatening injury to help her see how precious health is and how it can be taken from you at a moment's drop, she may would get the picture.

She doesn't deserve to wear the same jersey as Shea Ralph, who came back from two career threatening ACL injuries to win NPOY and Final Four MVP....or Svetlana Abrosimova who came from Russia without knowing a word of English and having never stepped foot in America...or Diana Taurasi who traveled 3,000 miles to play for the only coach in the country who didn't kiss her @ss by telling her that she was the greatest thing since slice bread.

I hope she finds whatever she's looking for in her life...:confused:

chrishoke
08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
She enrolled in Summer Session I and lasted less than 48 hours before hitchhiking a ride back to her sprawling, plush estate in suburban Wilmington, Delaware.

Because she enrolled as a student, she is now subjected to standard transfer rules. However, if I were UConn, I wouldn't grant her a release until at least two years has passed because she definitely screwed the program over. They could have used that scholarship on a kid who REALLY wanted to go there and would have busted her @ss for the program.

However, this subject is much more fundamental. Elena's family is LOADED with money; her dad is a prominent real estate developer. It's no secret that she can have anything at the snap of her finger. She has shown that she's just not hungry and doesn't have the same desire as thousands of other kids. She just doesn't have a clue as to how much she has - getting a free education, traveling all over the world, and playing basketball. Had she come from a background where her family struggled....or if she had to work a couple of job (as a lot of college students do) to help pay for her tuition....or if she had a career threatening injury to help her see how precious health is and how it can be taken from you at a moment's drop, she may would get the picture.

She doesn't deserve to wear the same jersey as Shea Ralph, who came back from two career threatening ACL injuries to win NPOY and Final Four MVP....or Svetlana Abrosimova who came from Russia without knowing a word of English and having never stepped foot in America...or Diana Taurasi who traveled 3,000 miles to play for the only coach in the country who didn't kiss her @ss by telling her that she was the greatest thing since slice bread.

Note - this isn't the boneyard.

bludev03
08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Note - this isn't the boneyard.

Note - this isn't Inside Carolina.....but that's never seemed to bother people.

heyman25
08-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Any possibility Duke could get in the picture. After all I could think of worse places to go to school for 4 years.She is 6'5 ?

roywhite
08-16-2008, 10:56 PM
...back to her sprawling, plush estate in suburban Wilmington, Delaware.

Well, I don't know Elena personally, but I doubt you do, either. You might have at least mentioned a pretty important aspect of what you consider to be her charmed life---her sister Elizabeth is blind and deaf and suffers from cerebral palsy and autism. From all accounts they have a very close bond, and it has nothing to do with basketball.

http://www.risemag.com/main.cfm?actionId=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=newsArticle&categoryKey=topStories&articleId=11588

The linked article talks about how Elena spent her summer working with special needs students at a school near Wilmington.

From the article:

“As I grew up, I became aware that there are people with special needs out there, and I have a real connection with them,” says Delle Donne. “It’s upsetting when people are afraid of these kids. Instead of being afraid, you should just go up to them and talk to them. Because you can learn so much from them.”

Elena sounds like a fine young woman who has been subject to great attention, and is now trying to get some space and make some decisions.

There is no need to trash her or portray her as a spoiled, rich kid.

bludev03
08-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Any possibility Duke could get in the picture. After all I could think of worse places to go to school for 4 years.She is 6'5 ?

She wasn't even interested in Duke when Gail was here. I'd VERY seriously doubt that she'd want to play for P.
Her brother Gene was the QB here at Duke, before transferring to MTSU. I'm willing to bet he's probably told her reasons why she shouldn't attend Duke.

If Candace Parker is LeBron, then EDD is Dirk Nowitzk. You should watch her youtube highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAzZvYp_TE

Bluedog
08-16-2008, 11:03 PM

Well, Duke did offer her a scholarship. Her final four were Villanova, Connecticut, Tennessee, and Middle Tennessee, for what that's worth. And I see 6'4" and 6'5" listed as her height on various sites....that's fairly tall for a women's guard, no?

chrishoke
08-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, I don't know Elena personally, but I doubt you do, either. You might have at least mentioned a pretty important aspect of what you consider to be her charmed life---her sister Elizabeth is blind and deaf and suffers from cerebral palsy and autism. From all accounts they have a very close bond, and it has nothing to do with basketball.

http://www.risemag.com/main.cfm?actionId=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=newsArticle&categoryKey=topStories&articleId=11588

The linked article talks about how Elena spent her summer working with special needs students at a school near Wilmington.

From the article:

“As I grew up, I became aware that there are people with special needs out there, and I have a real connection with them,” says Delle Donne. “It’s upsetting when people are afraid of these kids. Instead of being afraid, you should just go up to them and talk to them. Because you can learn so much from them.”

Elena sounds like a fine young woman who has been subject to great attention, and is now trying to get some space and make some decisions.

Thanks ROY - I imagine most of us didn't know any of that.

bludev03
08-16-2008, 11:48 PM

From the article:

What does her sister have to do with anything? If that was the most important factor in her decision making process, she could have gone to Villanova or UDel - both within about an hour of her house. Geno even said they were very understanding of her situation, and EDD stated how impressed she was with how Geno interacted with Lizzy.

Regardless, all this is of the derivative; the essential is that, rather than going to Villanova or UDel or wherever else, she committed to UConn. If her heart wasn't into it or if she didn't want to play basketball at all, that's fine - that's her decision. But she had no business screwing over a program and taking a scholarship that could have given to a kid who really wanted to go to UConn and would have busted her ... for the program.

Maybe you can condone behavior that reeks of such narcissism, self-centeredness, and egotism as EDD's....but to the majority of the people in the world, it shows nothing but a lack of awareness of those less fortunate, lack of gratefulness for opportunities, and blatant disrespect for those who made significant investments in her.

roywhite
08-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Maybe you can condone behavior that reeks of such narcissism, self-centeredness, and egotism as EDD's....but to the majority of the people in the world, it shows nothing but a lack of awareness of those less fortunate, lack of gratefulness for opportunities, and blatant disrespect for those who made significant investments in her.

I'm not really sure why you are having such a strong, negative reaction to the decision of a young woman not to go to UConn. "lack of awareness for those less fortunate", "narcissism", "blatant disrespect", etc. etc. The words don't fit the situation.

I won't interrupt your tantrum again.

brevity
08-17-2008, 04:43 AM
I was going to post something on this earlier this summer, when EDD ditched the Summer Session at the very beginning.

I don't know her, and couldn't tell you more about her than what I've read in this thread. But I can't understand why someone with a history of flakiness toward the pursuit of basketball excellence would choose to go to UConn. Why undergo the (needless) pressure of a top-tier women's program, and Geno Auriemma? It makes no sense.

This situation sort of reinforces my belief that top girls players at the prep level are force-fed the idea that they HAVE to go to Tennessee or Connecticut, which is stupid. The longer that notion exists, the more the women's sport suffers.

Here's hoping she gets a college education somewhere, whether her family pays for it or not, and plays basketball (if she wants) in a less intense environment, like MTSU or Delaware or wherever.

sagegrouse
08-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm not really sure why you are having such a strong, negative reaction to the decision of a young woman not to go to UConn. "lack of awareness for those less fortunate", "narcissism", "blatant disrespect", etc. etc. The words don't fit the situation.

I won't interrupt your tantrum again.

I agree.

Everywhere else on DBR, a decision to bail on the UConn women's or men's team would be hailed as a sign of wisdom.

I suspect the there is lingering resentment of her brother "One and Delle Donne's" decision to leave Duke after only one season.

sagegrouse

yancem
08-17-2008, 09:52 AM
What does her sister have to do with anything? If that was the most important factor in her decision making process, she could have gone to Villanova or UDel - both within about an hour of her house. Geno even said they were very understanding of her situation, and EDD stated how impressed she was with how Geno interacted with Lizzy.

Regardless, all this is of the derivative; the essential is that, rather than going to Villanova or UDel or wherever else, she committed to UConn. If her heart wasn't into it or if she didn't want to play basketball at all, that's fine - that's her decision. But she had no business screwing over a program and taking a scholarship that could have given to a kid who really wanted to go to UConn and would have busted her ... for the program.

Wow, you seem to really have anger issues. While I can certainly understand why UConn and its fans might be upset by this situation, I find little logic in a non fan being so angry. This an 18 year old girl who is unsure what she wants in life. She made a decision she decided she didn't like. No one was hurt (physically) or killed, so get over it. Kids make mistakes choosing colleges all the time, why should she be vilified for doing what hundreds or even thousands of teenagers do every year?

Jumbo
08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
People, the rumor-mongering and destructively negative attacks in this thread need to stop, now. I've already handed out one infractin and I'm prepared to give out more. The next time you have the urge to rip this girl, remember that:
A) It's just basketball.
B) She's done nothing to you.
C) You have absolutely no idea what is, or isn't, going on in her life.
D) Tons of kids get to colleges all over the country every year, can't make the adjustment, and leave.

Perspective, people. Perspective.

buddy
08-17-2008, 01:43 PM
People, the rumor-mongering and destructively negative attacks in this thread need to stop, now. I've already handed out one infractin and I'm prepared to give out more. The next time you have the urge to rip this girl, remember that:
A) It's just basketball.
B) She's done nothing to you.
C) You have absolutely no idea what is, or isn't, going on in her life.
D) Tons of kids get to colleges all over the country every year, can't make the adjustment, and leave.

Perspective, people. Perspective.

Right on! Not all 18 year olds know exactly how they want their life to play out. Kids change colleges, change majors, change boyfriends/girlfriends,some even change gender, all the time. We've had a few basketball players who realized Duke was not for them and moved on. We wished them luck. Frankly, I'm pleased to see UConnvict lose a great basketball player. But I just hope she figures out what she wants and is able to find it. Sometimes we seem to forget that these young athletes are individuals with their own lives to pursue, which doesn't necessarily mean satisfying our desires as fans.

bill brill
08-17-2008, 01:58 PM
the women get 15 scholarships. no major program ever would be without just because a player left or transferred. some mite recall that QB delle donne was busted for dwi as a dukie while driving a mercedes with black glass windows.

DU82
08-17-2008, 04:10 PM
This situation sort of reinforces my belief that top girls players at the prep level are force-fed the idea that they HAVE to go to Tennessee or Connecticut, which is stupid. The longer that notion exists, the more the women's sport suffers.

Not just in women's basketball. How many here remember the criticism of Adonal Foyle for choosing to go to Cornell, instead of a "basketball" school (like Duke.)

Duvall
08-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I certainly don't know enough about the situation to comment here

Should have left it there.

dkbaseball
08-17-2008, 04:48 PM
How many here remember the criticism of Adonal Foyle for choosing to go to Cornell, instead of a "basketball" school (like Duke.)

Don't recall that. I do seem to remember him going to Colgate. ;)

hughgs
08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Jumbo, I read your post and am keeping this inbounds--I'm not doing the rumor-mongering here, just opening the table for discussion of a subject that's already been breached elsewhere.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive. Mere mention of a subject in other venues does not mean the subject is not a rumor.

DU82
08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't recall that. I do seem to remember him going to Colgate. ;)

Doh! Had the wrong C school on the mind. Thanks.

AtlDuke72
08-17-2008, 08:40 PM

This and your next post are the most obnoxious and irresponsible posts I have seen in several years of reading DBR. Is this girl's crime the fact that she is from a well to do family or the fact that she apparently does not want to play college basketball? Connecticut continued to pursue her after she took time off from basketball in high school. She is hardly the first recruit who doesn't pan out after briefly showing up at their school. Larry Bird comes to mind. These comments are wrong for so many reasons that all I can say is that they are disgusting. I hope you take your opinions elsewhere.

Cavlaw
08-17-2008, 09:08 PM
I hope you take your opinions elsewhere.

So did we.

A lot of people become passionate about collegiate sports, either because we used to participate in them, or because they used to be such a big part of our lives. When that passion overwhelms us, it's easy to say things about other people that we shouldn't. Everyone who posts here should remember that the athletes we are so quick to criticize are typically 17-22-year-old children, and those who read our words are their friends, relatives and fans, as well as people who spend a larger chunk of their lives than may be healthy following the careers of people they may never meet because they love the competition and the meaning that preparing for it gives our lives.

Please keep that in mind when posting.

Jumbo
08-17-2008, 10:02 PM
This and your next post are the most obnoxious and irresponsible posts I have seen in several years of reading DBR. Is this girl's crime the fact that she is from a well to do family or the fact that she apparently does not want to play college basketball? Connecticut continued to pursue her after she took time off from basketball in high school. She is hardly the first recruit who doesn't pan out after briefly showing up at their school. Larry Bird comes to mind. These comments are wrong for so many reasons that all I can say is that they are disgusting. I hope you take your opinions elsewhere.

We will not be hearing from Bludev03 again in the future.

Hector Vector
08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks to the most recent posters for calling BluDev03 out for one of the nastiest posts ever on this board.

I have no knowledge about whether EDD's decision was just flakeiness or something more serious, but it immediately occurred to me that it is at least possible that she has mental health issues, such as depression, or worse (this is the age when young people have psychotic breaks). Again, I don't want to suggest that is what is occurring, since I don't know, but one should at least be sensitive to the possibility. After all her decision was not simply to switch to Tennessee or Duke, or to a home school, which might warrant some upset, if not the vitriol of BD03. She has chosen, at least for the time being, to entirely drop basketball, at which she excels more than pretty much every young woman her age in the country.

budwom
08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I hope she comes out of this OK. No reason to speak ill of her whatsoever.

However I must say that if a coach had to be left disappointed by all this, it couldn't happen to a better guy than Geno.

It reminds me of that wonderful day three decades ago when top recruit Tom McMillen abandoned Dean Smith and showed up at Maryland just days before fall classes began. That was sweet.

roywhite
08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I hope she comes out of this OK. No reason to speak ill of her whatsoever.

However I must say that if a coach had to be left disappointed by all this, it couldn't happen to a better guy than Geno.

It reminds me of that wonderful day three decades ago when top recruit Tom McMillen abandoned Dean Smith and showed up at Maryland just days before fall classes began. That was sweet.

Yep---gotta agree on Geno and Deano!

Wasn't there some story about the McMillen family catching Dean making a phone call at an inappropriate time during the in-home visit?

budwom
08-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I, too, remember some such stuff, so I just Googles "tom mcmillen dean smith" and found some interesting stuff, including an article from the Daily Tar Heel. Their article (keeping in mind their inherent bias) said that Tom wanted to sign, but his parents didn't want him to. One day Tom called Deano, said he wanted to sign, but his parents were against the notion (this was in June) so Deano drove up to a town near McMillen's and had him sign (get this) his first name only to a letter of intent. It wasn't valid, of course, without Mom and Dad signing. Mom and Dad got wind of this somewhat symbolic manoeuver, got super pissed at Dean.

The Daily Tar Heel goes on to say that what really did in UNC (this sounds pretty implausible) was a letter which arrived at the Mc Millen household which came from an alleged (but bogus) Heel booster promising cash rewards once Tom showed up in Chappaheeya. Since the veracity of any such letter could have been quickly determined (for example, there was no such booster at UNC) I find it hard to believe that was the determining factor.

buddy
08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
EDD issued a statement today saying she will enroll at the University of Delaware and will not play varsity sports during her freshman year. I think whether she ever plays depends upon (1) UConn releasing her from her commitment, and (2) whether she ever has the drive to play again. Best of luck to her.

brevity
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Good for her. Now let's fix the spelling of her name and close this thread already.

roywhite
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I, too, remember some such stuff, so I just Googles "tom mcmillen dean smith" and found some interesting stuff, including an article from the Daily Tar Heel. Their article (keeping in mind their inherent bias) said that Tom wanted to sign, but his parents didn't want him to. One day Tom called Deano, said he wanted to sign, but his parents were against the notion (this was in June) so Deano drove up to a town near McMillen's and had him sign (get this) his first name only to a letter of intent. It wasn't valid, of course, without Mom and Dad signing. Mom and Dad got wind of this somewhat symbolic manoeuver, got super pissed at Dean.

The Daily Tar Heel goes on to say that what really did in UNC (this sounds pretty implausible) was a letter which arrived at the Mc Millen household which came from an alleged (but bogus) Heel booster promising cash rewards once Tom showed up in Chappaheeya. Since the veracity of any such letter could have been quickly determined (for example, there was no such booster at UNC) I find it hard to believe that was the determining factor.

Ah, great minds thinking alike. I, too, have surfed for info on Dean and Tom McMillen and came across this link.

http://www.ramfanatic.com/Misc/Bill_currie.htm

It's a long meandering story from a Carolina fan about former announcer Bill Currie, which contains the story that Currie (the Woody Durham of his day...a broadcaster and virtual member of the Carolina family) had written a porno novel. There weren't many copies of it around, but Lefty managed to get one (reportedly) and sent it to the McMillens with a note asking them if this was the kind of person they wanted their son to associate with. lol.

Was this the reason that McMillen chose Maryland? Who knows, but maybe.

Bluedog
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
EDD issued a statement today saying she will enroll at the University of Delaware and will not play varsity sports during her freshman year. I think whether she ever plays depends upon (1) UConn releasing her from her commitment, and (2) whether she ever has the drive to play again. Best of luck to her.

And wikipedia got it first! (before she announced it)....

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hcu-ucdelledonne-0813,0,4382065.story

Aug 12, 2008: "UConn women's basketball fans waiting for prized recruit Elena Delle Donne to announce whether she will return to campus for the start of her freshman season were likely surprised to read the last line of the player's biography on the search site Wikipedia. 'Elena will play for the University of Delaware volleyball team, forgoing her scholarship at UConn,' the site said as of this morning [...] Delaware women's volleyball coach, Bonnie Kenny, a native of Meriden who led Maloney High to four state CIAC state volleyball championships and is a member of the school's athletic Hall of Fame, says there is no truth to the post."

Six days later: http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hcu-delledonne-0817,0,5408772.story

"Elena Delle Donne will enroll at the University of Delaware and will not play basketball this season. It is thought she wants to play volleyball as a walk-on, but she did not address that in a statement today."

Donne did not indicate the she won't play varsity sports - she indicated that she won't play varsity basketball.

"I have decided that in the best interest of both UConn and myself that I will not play college basketball this year"

Tommac
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Can A division 1 recruit drop down to division 2 or 3 and play without sitting out a year or without a release from the first scholarship school?

Bluedog
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Can A division 1 recruit drop down to division 2 or 3 and play without sitting out a year or without a release from the first scholarship school?

Yes to the first question (they don't have to sit out a year). Not sure about the second one, but I'd guess they don't need a release.

ohioguy2
08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes to the first question (they don't have to sit out a year). Not sure about the second one, but I'd guess they don't need a release.

You are correct. I also want to thank whoever put a stop to the very rude postings being made.

buddy
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
She cannot play ANY varsity sport during her freshman year unless UConn releases her from the letter of intent. As of this morning, Geno said she has not been released. If released, she could play any sport EXCEPT basketball. So unless Geno releases her, she can't even play volleyball, should she want to.

GrayHare
08-22-2008, 01:23 PM
UConn frees recruit Delle Donne from scholarships (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3545169). According to the story, she can play volleyball at Delaware immediately, but she needs permission from the NCAA to play basketball this season.

RPS
08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
We will not be hearing from Bludev03 again in the future.Thanks, Jumbo. As one who faces the disconcerting reality of regularly seeing his child reported on, discussed and criticized in print, I appreciate even small victories for civility.

Turk
08-22-2008, 03:26 PM
UConn frees recruit Delle Donne from scholarships (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3545169). According to the story, she can play volleyball at Delaware immediately, but she needs permission from the NCAA to play basketball this season.

Saw that too. It took Geno long enough; once EDD landed at Delaware it seemed clear to me the kid is trying to get herself sorted out, and the right thing to do would've been to cut her loose immediately...

A friend of mine who follows scholastic hoops closer than I do said something like "I hate women's basketball, but she might be the best high school player I've ever seen, man or woman. She'd be the only reason I'd pay money to see a women's game" and went on to gush about her skills, intelligence, team play, and demeanor. (personal aside: yes he's an unabashed troglodyte - since I'm a sensitive new age guy we contrast each other nicely...)

Here's hoping EDD is not burned out on the game and comes back to it someday, no matter where, no matter when...

southgater
08-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Here's the latest on EDD (http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2009/aug/delledonne082608.html). She's going to be playing volleyball, but not basketball, this season for Univ. of Del. I saw her play volleyball last year and she was indeed a big force in the middle, but her volleyball skills were not great. She was by no means the best player on her very good high school team. On the other hand, it didn't sound like she's played much and so, with her athletic ability, will likely improve quickly. It will be interesting to see how she progresses. I believe Wilt Chamberlain shifted to volleyball after he retired from basketball, though I don't remember how well he played. Chase Budinger at Arizona has made the opposite shift.

Richard Berg
08-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Another voice of thanks for our moderators. I occasionally feel things are heavy handed around here, but have absolutely no desire to see an 18 year old lambasted for living her life the way she pleases. All the best to Elena in her college education.

brevity
10-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Thought I'd revive this thread in light of last weekend's article (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19athlete.html?ref=ncaabasketball) in The New York Times. Quoted in part:

Only months ago, Elena Delle Donne was the nation’s top female high school basketball recruit, a signee with the University of Connecticut, an expected central figure in what many predict will be the Huskies’ sixth national title season in 2008-9. After two days of classes last June, though, Delle Donne acknowledged what few athletes of her visibility have ever acknowledged publicly — she was burned out on basketball at 18. Her parents also wondered if she was homesick.

The rest of the article implies that the distance from home was a more pressing issue than the choice to play basketball. Whatever makes her happy, I suppose, but I still find this Connecticut-or-nothing state of mind unusual.

brevity
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
So much for "closing this thread already".

I know. I said that. But at the time there was mostly speculation, some of it less than pretty. I only revived it for the sake of completion. Now, presumably, the NYT article and a bit of natural selection will close the thread.