PDA

View Full Version : Woooohoooo football!

CameronBornAndBred
08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Buying my season tix to the Duke games today. (getting the 4 pack, will usually have 2 extras if anyone needs them gameday). But I'm just getting stoked about football in general again. I love watching both college and pro. It's the only sport I can say that about. My dad raised me a Steelers fan, he is from outside of Pittsburgh. Then of course I've been a Panthers person ever since they got the franchise in Charlotte. (If the two meet, I'm pulling for my homestate Panthers).
Duke has a great home schedule this year, I love making a day of it, driving the 3 hours there and back with at least one of my stepsons. Luckily, they both have driver's permits now and can handle some of the duties. Never been to a pro game, but would love it.
Looking forward to the Favre watch this year, looking forward to the Patriots having less of a season then they did last year. (Sorry BD) Looking forward to a team with high expectations doing squat, and vice versa.
Looking forward to Cutcliffe's debut, and definately looking forward to some Duke victories. And tail gaiting. I LOVE barbecuing before a game..charcoal required, no gas allowed.
Woooooohooooo football!

Bluedawg
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
The Dawgs are #1...Duke begins it comeback to football prominence and in Matt Ryan the Falcons finally have a QB they can build around.

I feel its going to be a really good year!

buddy
08-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Let's not get too carried away. Frankly I expect maybe 3-8 this year. I expect to see more improvement in attitude, conditioning, competitiveness than in won/loss record. This is not like basketball--you don't turn this ship around overnight. But I do think there is a new attitude at Duke, and I expect to see continued improvement in the coming years. And lest we forget--Michigan didn't think they could lose to Appalachian State either. Michigan is much better than Duke, while James Madison is not much worse that APSU. Don't look ahead!

VaDukie
08-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Let's not get too carried away. Frankly I expect maybe 3-8 this year. I expect to see more improvement in attitude, conditioning, competitiveness than in won/loss record. This is not like basketball--you don't turn this ship around overnight. But I do think there is a new attitude at Duke, and I expect to see continued improvement in the coming years. And lest we forget--Michigan didn't think they could lose to Appalachian State either. Michigan is much better than Duke, while James Madison is not much worse that APSU. Don't look ahead!

Regardless of what we do it's safe to say the team isn't looking ahead. I believe Cutcliffe has been calling JMU a must-win game for some time.

MHTorringjan
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, I'm excited about the season, myself, since it begins the college sports cycle for me (I don't pay as much attention to those other sports unless they're playing my alma mater, which is rare outside of soccer and baseball).

But let's hold off on the "return to prominence" until we've gotten win number 1. ;-)

Classof06
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Football is my favorite sport, so I'm counting down the days until the college season kicks off on Thursday the 28th. But the prospects of this season are especially promising, for me personally.

Ohio State is ranked #2 and primed for another run at a national title, the Browns are actually supposed to be solid and have 5 primetime games this season. And Duke finally looks like they're headed in the right direction. I'll be at the GT game here in Atlanta on October 4th, and I'll be back in Durham for the Homecoming game at least.

Needless to say, I cannot wait for football season to begin.

GADevilFan
08-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I am convinced we will see improvement this year. Duke has obtained a great coach. It will not be an undefeated season, obviously.... but maybe 3 or 4 wins and competitive in several losses... it's only up from here. It's important to start filling up those stands and to not fall apart as a fan base once there are some losses (even bad ones).

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I am convinced we will see improvement this year. Duke has obtained a great coach. It will not be an undefeated season, obviously.... but maybe 3 or 4 wins and competitive in several losses... it's only up from here. It's important to start filling up those stands and to not fall apart as a fan base once there are some losses (even bad ones).
You are on point, particularly regarding filling the stadium with Duke fans! With the sale of individual game tickets underway now, our rivals like NC State and Carolina can begin to buy seats for those games. Coach Cutcliffe and the team need and deserve our support in person. I believe that the sort of change we should have sought since the late sixties will begin this season. I want to be able to say I was there at the beginning!

Where will you be on August 30 at 7P?

By the way, if it is a surprise to you that NC State and Carolina are our rivals, you're showing your age!

Acymetric
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey, just out of curiosity, when are tickets supposed to be sent? I hope in the next ten days...

CameronBornAndBred
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey, just out of curiosity, when are tickets supposed to be sent? I hope in the next ten days...

The last time I ordered tickets (for a women's bb game) that was close to game time they had them for me at willcall. I'm assuming it's still early enough for them to send the whole set in the mail though. According to the website, they started sending them out 3 weeks prior to the season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-19-2008, 07:17 PM
My season's tickets arrived last week.... postmarked August 15.

When you receive your tickets might depend on the type (season vs. individual games), when you ordered and your zip code..... large mailings are sorted prior to delivery to the postal service.

Acymetric
08-19-2008, 07:38 PM
The last time I ordered tickets (for a women's bb game) that was close to game time they had them for me at willcall. I'm assuming it's still early enough for them to send the whole set in the mail though. According to the website, they started sending them out 3 weeks prior to the season.

My season's tickets arrived last week.... postmarked August 15.

When you receive your tickets might depend on the type (season vs. individual games), when you ordered and your zip code..... large mailings are sorted prior to delivery to the postal service.

Thanks, I'll look forward to the tickets! Just wanted to make sure they didn't get lost somewhere. Not that this proves they aren't lost. But it makes it less likely.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks, I'll look forward to the tickets! Just wanted to make sure they didn't get lost somewhere. Not that this proves they aren't lost. But it makes it less likely.
You can always call the ticket office and ask if your tickets have gone out yet.

willywoody
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
not to rain on the football parade as i'm as excited as everyone else. however, while reading usa today's acc preview (a clemson article) they had sheridan's odds for winning the acc title. duke's odds are one trillion to one according to the oddsmaker. never seen one that bad before.

OldPhiKap
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
not to rain on the football parade as i'm as excited as everyone else. however, while reading usa today's acc preview (a clemson article) they had sheridan's odds for winning the acc title. duke's odds are one trillion to one according to the oddsmaker. never seen one that bad before.

I'll throw a buck down on those odds.

But I don't hear anyone claiming that we're gonna win the conference this year. Yet.

willywoody
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
yeh, i'd even bet a 20 given those odds and i don't bet. i've made plans to be at clemson in november to root the team on and hopefully rain on clemson's title hopes.