PDA

View Full Version : Is this the chalkiest NCAAT ever?

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Like two decent upsets, as such, in the 1R, a couple 6/11s. 7 UNLV takes out 2 Wisconsin in the 2R. That's about it. Three 1/2 Region Finals and a 1/3 in the region in which the Badgers lost.

feldspar
03-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Sure seems like it. I might be willing to put money down that this is finally the year where all four #1s advance to the FF.

YmoBeThere
03-24-2007, 12:26 AM
some writer decrying Clark Kellogg's picks having too many high seeds in them. Looks like Clark may not be able to get travel calls...but at least this time around he might have some tournament picks right.

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't know, I'd feel better about four 1s in the Final Four if there were a bunch of 1-vs-low seed Region Finals. Like UNC-Temple in 1991, Mizzou as a 12 seed in the Region Final in 2002, &c.

Troublemaker
03-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Yeah, the forecasts of 2007 being an "up" season for college bball were dead on. I remember saying early in the season that the Elite 8 and Final Four matchups for this season were going to be great, and that's where we are now.

Predictions:

Fla loses to Oregon
OSU/Memphis is a toss-up... I'll say OSU
UNC over G'town
KU over UCLA

feldspar
03-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, the forecasts of 2007 being an "up" season for college bball were dead on. I remember saying early in the season that the Elite 8 and Final Four matchups for this season were going to be great, and that's where we are now.

Predictions:

Fla loses to Oregon
OSU/Memphis is a toss-up... I'll say OSU
UNC over G'town
KU over UCLA

Well, 3 out of my four FF are still intact, so for purposes of my pool chances, I'm going to say this is finally the round where upsets happen, and they happen all over the board.

All four #1 seeds lose in the next round.

dukemsu
03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Well, 3 out of my four FF are still intact, so for purposes of my pool chances, I'm going to say this is finally the round where upsets happen, and they happen all over the board.

All four #1 seeds lose in the next round.

One goes down: Kansas, as Affallo rediscovers his shooting stroke in the nick of time.

Florida faces off against UNC in the final. Duke fans everywhere have to choose between the Gators becoming the first repeat champs since 92 or UNC winning 2 out of 3.

Chomp, chomp. Go Gators.

dukemsu

mgtr
03-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Well, Florida-UNC would be the matchup a lot of people would like to see. On sentiment, I would pick UNC to lose (I always pick UNC to lose). On reason, however, I think it would be a tossup.

Susan
03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I would say YES--it's the chalkiest one ever. In our family pool, which has 27 people, the leaders already have more points after just 3 rounds than the winner of last year's pool did. I'm in the middle of the pack, and I still have my entire final 4 and 7 of the Elite 8 teams remaining. (GO DUCKS!)

My final 4 (and we'll see if it still holds true since I only have one 1 seed): Oregon, UCLA, Ohio St, and Georgetown, with Georgetown as champ.

jimmymax
03-24-2007, 01:25 PM
i gave up pools a few years ago as what i thought might happen was always at odds with what i hoped would happen. i like to follow along and watch how various conferences and the teams i have a soft spot for perform. i like your final four: no UNC, no SEC, some west coast teams i've enjoyed watching and a nod to a DC team iwth princeton connections. for some reason i'm kinda pulling for UCLA at this point.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-24-2007, 02:18 PM
The strange thing is that almost every game has been essentially tied with 4 minutes or so left, and somehow the higher seeds have managed to pull it out every time with the lone exception of Wisconsin against UNLV. So many coin toss games, yet so much chalk. It's a strange phenomenon.

JJweMISSu
03-24-2007, 02:29 PM
The strange thing is that almost every game has been essentially tied with 4 minutes or so left,
The reason the higher seed always pulls iit out is because of depth or expierence. A perfect example of depth was last night with Butler. When Crone went out it was over. I mean yea he didnt score the whole seond half and the last 10 minutes of the first, but he actually was fighting it down low. Then once Flordia got smart and backed him down it was done. Also Flordia has Chris Richard coming off the bench and hes easy 1-2inches taller and 50lbs havier than everyone on Butler. In other words the reason not so many mid majors pulled upsets where because of size. There shots where one and done.

My Elite 8 predictions are:
Flordia Over Oregon
Kansas Over UCLA
Georgetown Over UNC
OSU Over Memphis

Final Four:
Kansas Over Flordia
Georgetown Over OSU

Final:
Kansas Over Georgetown

I don't know why i just seem to like Kansas. Exspecially Rush i like the way he plays along with Chalmers.

mapei
03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Where does the expression "chalky" come from in this context?

throatybeard
03-24-2007, 05:15 PM
"Chalk" is when you pick favorites.

I'm not sure but I think it's derived from race track betting. The ponies.

Jumbo
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Where does the expression "chalky" come from in this context?

Horse Racing. I believe the odds, long ago, were written in chalk.

VAGentleman05
03-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Sure seems like it. I might be willing to put money down that this is finally the year where all four #1s advance to the FF.

I felt like a total idiot for putting all 4 in this year for the first time ever. Now I just wish I hadn't tried to pick so many 10-7 and 12-5 upsets in the first round...