PDA

View Full Version : Mater Dei Game

Bob Green
03-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Taylor King's Mater Dei High School is up 16-14 at the end of the 1st Quarter in the California State Championship game.

http://blogs.ocregister.com/ocvarsity/

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

365Duke
03-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Taylor King's Mater Dei High School is up 16-14 at the end of the 1st Quarter in the California State Championship game.

http://blogs.ocregister.com/ocvarsity/

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Bob, you are more connected than anyone I have ever seen. Especially from across the freak'n world. Just keep your mind on your work:D

Bob Green
03-24-2007, 12:06 AM
It's Saturday here and my ship is in port so no work. As far as being connected, isn't the Internet great?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

365Duke
03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
It's Saturday here and my ship is in port so no work. As far as being connected, isn't the Internet great?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Yes it is. Keep up the good work Bob!

Bob Green
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Mater Dei is up 32-27 at the half.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

juise
03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
King misses 3 of 4 free throws down the stretch and the game's headed to OT.

juise
03-24-2007, 01:35 AM
King scores 4 of Mater Dei's first 6 in OT (including 2 of 2 from the line) and Mater Dei goes on to win 69-64. Congrats to Taylor!

So Duke's class of 2007 recruits boasts two state champions and a (probable) national champion. If only Duke would have nabbed someone from Washington (state), we could be champions of the entire West Coast. ;)

burnspbesq
03-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Not sure Taylor was the best player on the floor tonight. Drew Gordon is impressive.

Bob Green
03-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Here is the initial box score (all the stats are not filled in):

http://www.ocvarsity.com/schedules/details.php?rosterID=24170&seasonID=8&gameID=34359

Taylor King scored 29 points, while Drew Gordon had 17 for San Jose Mitty. Hopefully, we will see Drew Gordon in a Duke uniform in the future.

Here is a game recap from the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-spw-hsboysdii24mar24,0,2889716.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-highschool

Taylor King grabbed 15 rebounds and Drew Gordon had 13 with 4 blocked shots.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

HK Dukie
03-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Congrats Taylor!

JJweMISSu
03-24-2007, 02:32 PM
29pts 15reb. Wow I like that hopefully we can just get 15pts and 8 reb per game out of him in college i would be happy with that.

Kewlswim
03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I was not particularly impressed by Taylor King. He took a lot of shots to get the numbers he got. I don't know the names of players on the coart, but at least one other seemed better to me. Ugh It must just be that I am numb from the Duke women's loss.

GO DUKE!

denniden
03-24-2007, 06:08 PM
When watching Taylor play last night I was reminded from the last time I saw him play, he is a threat. Regardless of the amount of shots he took to get his points, I realy don't think that there are too many teams that will want to leave him alone on the perimeter. I know the Mitty team was not about to do that and he still made them pay with a quick release. How many players on this years Duke team was consistent at making teams pay for offensive renounds and kick outs? (Paulus and at times Schyer, nothing consistent though) He is going to make defenses pay and stretch the floor when out there. I have seen Taylor play 10 times this year and he is going to be solid IMO.

Drew Gordon is going to be a monster. He is as athlettic as they come, has a nice post game (three or four decent post moves, and the ability to shoot over people). Drew Gordon is a guy that I was sold on last night.

Congrats to Taylor and good luck in Louisville for the McD's game!

Madrasdukie
03-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Would anybody know if Duke is interested in Drew Gordon and/or has he expressed any interest in Duke ?
Thanks.

3rd Dukie
03-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Not sure Taylor was the best player on the floor tonight. Drew Gordon is impressive.

I watched the game today, and I completely agree with you.

Bob Green
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Would anybody know if Duke is interested in Drew Gordon and/or has he expressed any interest in Duke ?
Thanks.

Yes. Duke is interested in Drew Gordon, but the # 1 target for 2008 is Greg Monroe.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2008

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

dcarp23
03-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks.

According to Rivals and Scout, he is interested in Duke, but a lot of other schools as well. Duke appears to have three targets in the class of 2008: Gordon, Greg Monroe and Travis Releford (a shooting guard from Kansas).

dcarp23
03-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Don't think many would disagree with you. Gordon is more highly touted by the major recruiting gurus.

Madrasdukie
03-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes. Duke is interested in Drew Gordon, but the # 1 target for 2008 is Greg Monroe.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2008

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Thanks (and thanks to you, too dcarp23). Yes, I was aware that Duke's #1 target for 2008 is Greg Monroe - I recall reading that he is a good student and grew up liking the Devils a lot.

I was just reading Watzone's site that quotes Drew Gordon as saying that he would like to major in computer science and hence would like to go to a school that is good in academics and basketball. I guess outside of Stanford our computer science program is probably the best among the basketball schools. If we consider a basketball program-to-computer science program quotient, we probably make a stronger case than all basketball schools, Stanford included, I guess. However, I wonder how much he wants to stay close to home in the west coast ? Also, considering both Drew Gordon and Greg Monroe are listed as PFs, would the recruiting of one affect the other's interest?

Also, your link to scout.com lists Samardo Samuels, a 5-star (#1 Center) as being interested in Duke (for what it's worth Duke is listed as the #2 school), is Duke going after him as well?

Bala.

devildownunder
03-24-2007, 07:35 PM
From that list at scout.com it appears that we may be going head-to-head with north carolina for a couple of these players, maybe more. Hopefully the way this fleshes out will give us a sense of where we stand compared to them in recruiting right now.

YmoBeThere
03-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks (and thanks to you, too dcarp23). I guess outside of Stanford our computer science program is probably the best among the basketball schools. If we consider a basketball program-to-computer science program quotient, we probably make a stronger case than all basketball schools, Stanford included, I guess.

That is certainly a change from my days there. The Computer Science department was lightly regarded at least on campus.

Madrasdukie
03-24-2007, 08:24 PM
That is certainly a change from my days there. The Computer Science department was lightly regarded at least on campus.

I was on campus from '00 to '05, when the computer science program was regarded as quite competitive, and it was my impression that the reputation of the department has improved significantly over the years.

YmoBeThere
03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I was on campus from '00 to '05, when the computer science program was regarded as quite competitive, and it was my impression that the reputation of the department has improved significantly over the years.

from '89 to '93. Maybe more b-ball recruits can help our Computer Sci deparment even more. I think that was the gist on another thread, the Coach K effect as it were.