PDA

View Full Version : Will success with Olympic team tempt K to NBA?

bludvlman
08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
This question was just raised on PTI, and since numerous yes K has been rumored to the NBA and almost went to the Lakers a few years back. I don't think he will but this could make him want to prove himself.

wilko
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I hope not. I dont see how a pro experience gets any better from the olympics. Hes got an All-Star roster, thats buying in and committed to a short term goal (in terms of schedule and # of games).

He doesnt have to deal with the front office, rowdy fans..
This is the perfect experiment for him.

weezie
08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't see K as the kind of guy who feels he needs to prove himself to anyone.

Team USA does appear to be enjoying playing for him but they also volunteered.
A different group of players, some maybe not so good, some with issues, some with attitude problems, might be a whole lot less fun to deal with for nine months of the year, day in and day out.

Gunnar Kaufman
08-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Coach K will not be leaving Duke until he retires.

That is not a guess.

DevilDan
08-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Not for a second .... Coach K has often said that he likes the college game and the atmosphere because he gets to TEACH the game. I think he knows that this is not what he would find in a pro coaching situation, with all those millionaires

Is money an object? Doubtful, as DUKE I suspect more than compensates him. Prestige? Not likely, as he has that. I just don't see it.

Atlanta Duke
08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Coaching pros in the Olympics who are motivated to focus on team goals is not quite the same experience as coaching players griping about playing time and scoring opportunities at the end of a long road trip in February before a half empty arena of bored fans in some place like Atlanta (not that I have a jaundiced view of the NBA or anything:)

K certainly could find a job in the NBA and might want a new challenge, but what is more likely is that when you need to put on 5 shows a week like PTI does you throw up a lot of chaff to fill up the time

CameronCrazy'11
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
K could have gone to the NBA years ago and be making more money if he really wanted to. He just loves being at Duke. After he retires he'll teach at Fuqua. He's definitely a guy who's very contented with his life.

jimsumner
08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Short answer. No.

Long answer. No, No, No.

brevity
08-12-2008, 07:20 PM
This is no longer an interesting question.

It's way more fun to ask if Coach K will bolt for Europe if a franchise paid him enough. Now THERE'S a coaching challenge.

CrazyCat
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Never. He had that chance and he turned it down. I don't see how even the olympics can sway him to leave.

EarlJam
08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
First of all, good post and GREAT insight.

I was going to post something similar earlier but you did a better job of it.

I was going to post under, "What must K be thinking?"

Afterall, If...........if, if, if, if, IF, we win the gold, his resume will include THREE college championships and ONE U.S. Olympic Championship.

This is a man that thrives on goals, challenges.

What's missing from the resume? N.................B..............A.

So, there you go.

-EarlJam

Ders24
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I think given K's investment in Duke/Durham (his family being so involved in the program, his involvement at Emily K., which while limited it is his vision), might be enough to keep him around. If he didn't love Duke so much that is. I don't think it's an issue, he's going to stay.

BlueintheFace
08-12-2008, 10:50 PM
The answer to this is simple. Mickie has given the big NO after the Lakers flirtation, so.... big NO.

Edouble
08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
This question was just raised on PTI, and since numerous yes K has been rumored to the NBA and almost went to the Lakers a few years back. I don't think he will but this could make him want to prove himself.

I think that the Olympic experience is sort of his chance to prove himself! He has clearly been interested in coaching in the NBA, but has always preferred Duke. I think the Olympics are sort of a surrogate opportunity for him to coach pros, and in this case a hand selected group of the best players in the world, to a global championship. Coach K himself is telling the players that a gold medal is a higher honor than an NBA Championship. As a West Point guy, I'm sure that he belives this himself, and this experience should go a long way towards suffocating any lingering regrets over not coaching at the pro level.

In short, I think the Olympics are a way for Coach K to have his cake (stay at Duke) and eat it too (coach at the pro level).

elvis14
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I think that the Olympic experience is sort of his chance to prove himself!

In short, I think the Olympics are a way for Coach K to have his cake (stay at Duke) and eat it too (coach at the pro level).

I think Edouble has hit the nail on the head. The experience with the Olympic team makes K more likely to stay at Duke not more likely to leave. After the way Duke has performed the last 2 years in the tournament, he still has plenty to prove around here!

(Note that last sentence isn't all that serious I don't think he as anything to "prove" at Duke but I'd bet on him wanting to having tournament success starting this year)

COYS
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Edouble, I agree with you, as well. I think that anyone, no matter how much they love their job, could do for a new challenge now and again. I don't think there's any doubt that Coach K is as passionate as he's ever been about Duke, but it is such a high honor to win a gold medal, especially when they've been hard to come by in basketball over the past few years, that he jumped at the chance. If we bring home the gold (knock on wood), then Coach K will have accomplished something even more rare than winning an NBA title AND he'll be able to return to the job he loves at Duke.

Bluedawg
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't see K as the kind of guy who feels he needs to prove himself to anyone.

I agree, and what would he have to prove anyway???

Devilsfan
08-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I really think he wants one more national championship to go along with his Gold Metal. Then he can retire and maybe consult for J.C.

Indoor66
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I really think he wants one more national championship to go along with his Gold Metal. Then he can retire and maybe consult for J.C.

J. C.? I don't understand.

dukemomLA
08-14-2008, 06:41 AM
If Coach K was going to leave Duke, he would have taken the Laker job -- with a begging Kobe Bryant.

That said, end of story.

mgtr
08-14-2008, 07:22 AM
^ Now that gets down to the nub of it. If he had any serious NBA interest, he would have taken the Lakers job. I think he is a Dukie, for now and evermore.

JimBD
08-14-2008, 11:43 AM
No! Comments by Olympic players prove that Coach K has their total respect and they love playing for him. Coach K has proven that he can coach NBA players. The NBA involves a lot of travel/time away from family--at his age, Coach K does not need that. With his love of family and love of Duke, I would be shocked to see him coaching in the NBA.

DukieBoy
08-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Coaching pros in the Olympics who are motivated to focus on team goals is not quite the same experience as coaching players griping about playing time and scoring opportunities at the end of a long road trip in February before a half empty arena of bored fans in some place like Atlanta (not that I have a jaundiced view of the NBA or anything:)

i completely agree...i think K will realize that the group he has at the olympics is a far from normal team...he can't rationally except every team in the NBA to be that talented and that selfless and team oriented.