PDA

View Full Version : Boyette out indefinitely

jimsumner
08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
From Duke press release.

"Duke senior running back Re’quan Boyette underwent orthoscopic surgery on his left knee Sunday morning and will be out of action indefinitely, Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe announced.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Claude T. Moorman, Duke’s head team physician and the director of Duke Sports Medicine. Boyette was injured during Duke’s 80-snap situational scrimmage on Saturday evening.

Boyette led the Blue Devils in rushing in each of the past two seasons, and his 1,072 career yards on the ground rank seventh among active players in the ACC. He has played in 33 career games with 10 starting assignments, rushing 251 times for 1,072 yards (4.3 ypc) while catching 30 passes for an additional 140 yards. The Wilson, N.C., native has five career touchdown runs and owns the 10th-longest rush from scrimmage in Duke history with a 78-yard jaunt against Florida State on October 22, 2005.

"We’re certainly disappointed for Re’quan, but we know that he’ll do everything in his power to return to the field," Cutcliffe said. "We’ll now turn to Clifford Harris for senior leadership at running back and see who among the younger players will step forward and take advantage of this opportunity."

Harris, Boyette’s roommate since their arrival at Duke in 2005, has played in 33 career games with six starts. He has rushed 92 times for 351 yards (3.8 ypc) and one touchdown while hauling in 15 passes for 155 yards. The remainder of the position group includes sophomore Tony Jackson, redshirt freshman Cameron Jones and true freshman Jay Hollingsworth and Patrick Kurunwune. Jackson is a converted defensive back who highlighted the 2008 Spring Game with a 75-yard touchdown run."

roywhite
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Sorry to hear that, and certainly not good news for the team, as Boyette was clearly the featured RB. Hope he is able to come back and still play a meaningful role later this season.

Need someone to step up and provide a running threat.

Indoor66
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
From Duke press release.

"Duke senior running back Re’quan Boyette underwent orthoscopic surgery on his left knee Sunday morning and will be out of action indefinitely, Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe announced.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Claude T. Moorman, Duke’s head team physician and the director of Duke Sports Medicine. Boyette was injured during Duke’s 80-snap situational scrimmage on Saturday evening.

Boyette led the Blue Devils in rushing in each of the past two seasons, and his 1,072 career yards on the ground rank seventh among active players in the ACC. He has played in 33 career games with 10 starting assignments, rushing 251 times for 1,072 yards (4.3 ypc) while catching 30 passes for an additional 140 yards. The Wilson, N.C., native has five career touchdown runs and owns the 10th-longest rush from scrimmage in Duke history with a 78-yard jaunt against Florida State on October 22, 2005.

"We’re certainly disappointed for Re’quan, but we know that he’ll do everything in his power to return to the field," Cutcliffe said. "We’ll now turn to Clifford Harris for senior leadership at running back and see who among the younger players will step forward and take advantage of this opportunity."

Harris, Boyette’s roommate since their arrival at Duke in 2005, has played in 33 career games with six starts. He has rushed 92 times for 351 yards (3.8 ypc) and one touchdown while hauling in 15 passes for 155 yards. The remainder of the position group includes sophomore Tony Jackson, redshirt freshman Cameron Jones and true freshman Jay Hollingsworth and Patrick Kurunwune. Jackson is a converted defensive back who highlighted the 2008 Spring Game with a 75-yard touchdown run."

His doctor is Claude “Tee” Moorman III who played Duke football - 1980 - 82. I believe his father was Tee Moorman of the 1960 Cotton Bowl team (http://www.theacc.com/genrel/092606aaf.html).

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
His doctor is Claude “Tee” Moorman III who played Duke football - 1980 - 82. I believe his father was Tee Moorman of the 1960 Cotton Bowl team (http://www.theacc.com/genrel/092606aaf.html).
You are correct! Dr. Moorman the elder is an orthopeodic surgeon and Dr. Moorman (III) heads up Duke Sports Medicine. Tee's specialties include shoulders and knees. He was team physician for the Ravens before returning to Duke. He's a superb ortho!

footballfan
08-11-2008, 12:07 AM
only at Duke... where our starting RB is out and yet we discuss the history of the Team Doctors.

Man this stinks for Duke. I was actually getting excited about this team this year. Cannot lose players in speciality positions.

adam
08-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Any chance of him getting a medical redshirt and playing next year instead?

DevilWolf
08-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I love Boyette and really feel bad for him. As for the team, Harris is a freaking monster. This is probably the one position we could have been injured and still be okay.

PumpkinFunk
08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Any chance of him getting a medical redshirt and playing next year instead?

I hope so. Losing our starting senior RB is a tough break, and if he manages to get back, it'll be halfway through the season. I'm not sure what the policies are for medical redshirts, though.

OldPhiKap
08-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry to hear it for Re'quan and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

This is not the way to start a Monday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-11-2008, 09:44 AM
only at Duke... where our starting RB is out and yet we discuss the history of the Team Doctors.

Man this stinks for Duke. I was actually getting excited about this team this year. Cannot lose players in speciality positions.

There is some point to the discussion of which surgeon performed the procedure. If you were to learn a bit about Dr. Moorman's work, you'd know that he has earned a national reputation for being especially skilled in performing minimally invasive surgery to correct just the sort of injury Re'quan suffered..... that means reducing the time it takes to get back on his feet.

jimsumner
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Boyette did play as a true freshman, so he should be eligible for a medical redshirt, should circumstances dictate.

Harris is a solid, between-the-tackles runner and a good receiver out of the backfield. Not sure if he has the ability to be the main-man, however. I would expect true freshman Jay Hollingsworth to get a long look.

billy
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
There is some point to the discussion of which surgeon performed the procedure. If you were to learn a bit about Dr. Moorman's work, you'd know that he has earned a national reputation for being especially skilled in performing minimally invasive surgery to correct just the sort of injury Re'quan suffered..... that means reducing the time it takes to get back on his feet.

I certainly have no insider information with the injury, just what I read on DBR and in the N&O. With that being said:

Minimally invasive surgery (arthroscopy in this case) does indeed reduce the time needed to recover. The real issue, however, is what was done at the time of the scope? I can think of limited situations where a semi-emergent arthroscopy might be performed; a locked meniscus tear would be the most common. If he indeed had a tear that was only debrided (or removed), then, yes, the recovery should be speedy. If the tear (if he had one) was repaired (sewn back together), then he would typically be advised against running for up to six months while the tissue healed.

Maybe I missed it, but, was it said what procedure he actually had or even what the injury was?

OZZIE4DUKE
08-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Boyette did play as a true freshman, so he should be eligible for a medical redshirt, should circumstances dictate.

Harris is a solid, between-the-tackles runner and a good receiver out of the backfield. Not sure if he has the ability to be the main-man, however. I would expect true freshman Jay Hollingsworth to get a long look.

Harris is also a former HS QB, and has thrown a couple of halfback option passes the last couple of years. With Lewis, Asack and Harris in the same backfield, you could see a triple reverse option pass, with each ball handler capable of throwing the ball. Sounds like some that Spurrier would conceive of...

Here's hoping that Boyette has something really minor fixed and doesn't need the medical redshirt. As asked above, we haven't heard what the actual injury was yet.

sagegrouse
08-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I certainly have no insider information with the injury, just what I read on DBR and in the N&O. With that being said:

Minimally invasive surgery (arthroscopy in this case) does indeed reduce the time needed to recover. The real issue, however, is what was done at the time of the scope? I can think of limited situations where a semi-emergent arthroscopy might be performed; a locked meniscus tear would be the most common. If he indeed had a tear that was only debrided (or removed), then, yes, the recovery should be speedy. If the tear (if he had one) was repaired (sewn back together), then he would typically be advised against running for up to six months while the tissue healed.

Maybe I missed it, but, was it said what procedure he actually had or even what the injury was?

Masquerading under the sobriquet of "Billy." OK, come clean.

sagegrouse

bill brill
08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
boyette does indeed have a redshirt year available. if he can't come back in time, he can take a redshirt without asking for medical since he obviously did not play any games. I haven't been to duke since I'm leaving town for a few days, but my guess is they will wait and see how soon he can come back. if it was arthroscopic it almost certainly isn't season-ending. how he progresses. and perhaps how bad the team might need him, could factor into the decision.

DevilWolf
08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Keep in mind Boyette might be 2nd string to a certain incoming freshman next year if he were to redshirt.

footballfan
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Keep in mind Boyette might be 2nd string to a certain incoming freshman next year if he were to redshirt.

why do you assume this?

PumpkinFunk
08-11-2008, 07:55 PM

I would highly doubt it, after his 3 years of experience on the team already.

billy
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Masquerading under the sobriquet of "Billy." OK, come clean.

sagegrouse

Have to admit I had to look up "sobriquet". "Expert"-wise, I am a sports medicine orthopedist; I'd be happy to PM my credentials to anyone who might be interested - have to try to maintain the status of my sobriquet...

devildeac
08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Have to admit I had to look up "sobriquet". "Expert"-wise, I am a sports medicine orthopedist; I'd be happy to PM my credentials to anyone who might be interested - have to try to maintain the status of my sobriquet...

I wonder whether our sagegrouse may have been trying to suggest that "billy" was really our most prolific poster under another name:o. But, then I realized, our post leader wouldn't do that [;)](also, posting under 2 names on the board is :(ed upon) so he must have been looking at the credibility issue. Welcome aboard the DBR. Hope you can keep us educated about some the sports injuries we often read about and discuss here.

DevilWolf
08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
I would highly doubt it, after his 3 years of experience on the team already.

I wouldn't doubt it if he was told during recruiting he'd come in and be able to compete for the starting job his freshman year.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-12-2008, 08:22 AM

Welcome to the boards Billy! As our resident cardiologist (DD) said, it WILL be nice to have expertise from someone from the other side of the injury to tell us what's really going on with an injury. My "expertise" is only from the suffering side (broken 5th metatarsal in HS, slightly torn MCL at Duke, torn short end of the bicep last April, and chronically sore shoulders and lower back).

formerdukeathlete
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Yes, only at Duke. It is kind of funny that you comment on this in the negative. Sports Medicine is a strong suit at Duke. And, in the past, Duke recruited Football players who had interest in going onto Medical School.

The Moorman's are an excellent example of Duke's tradition in this regard, from which I hope we do not stray too far afield. While, highly rated high school football prospects who have an interest in attending medical school may be a little few and far between, with a credible program Duke can land more of these kids, once again.

BTW, Curt Dukes, our former back-up qb who transferred from Nebraska - anyone know whether he made it to medical school? Any sense as to how many Duke Football team members are currently in med school?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes, only at Duke. It is kind of funny that you comment on this in the negative. Sports Medicine is a strong suit at Duke. And, in the past, Duke recruited Football players who had interest in going onto Medical School.

The Moorman's are an excellent example of Duke's tradition in this regard, from which I hope we do not stray too far afield. While, highly rated high school football prospects who have an interest in attending medical school may be a little few and far between, with a credible program Duke can land more of these kids, once again.

BTW, Curt Dukes, our former back-up qb who transferred from Nebraska - anyone know whether he made it to medical school? Andy sense as to how many Duke Football team members are currently in med school?

Your mention of recruiting football players who become doctors reminded me of the Bassett Society, a rarity among colleges. During his stint as team physician, the late Dr. Frank Bassett began to notice those football players who wanted to go to medical school. He encouraged and mentored them during their undergraduate days, stayed in touch with them afterwards. Eventually this networking spread to include all athletes at Duke who aspire to and do become physicians. It is fitting that it's named the Bassett Society to honor the man who reached out to help so many. The group often meets on a football weekend to attend the game and to attend sessions related to their specialties. At first, the group was mostly orthos and the session were focused on that specialty. Now the group is comprised of doctors in a wide variety of specialties. What began as simply mentoring is now a much more complex ongoing training and networking experience for those whose who were Duke athletes who become physician. Duke is the only college I know of to have such a group.

Yes, only at Duke!

billy
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I wonder whether our sagegrouse may have been trying to suggest that "billy" was really our most prolific poster under another name:o. But, then I realized, our post leader wouldn't do that [;)](also, posting under 2 names on the board is :(ed upon) so he must have been looking at the credibility issue. Welcome aboard the DBR. Hope you can keep us educated about some the sports injuries we often read about and discuss here.

No, no, basically just a very longtime lurker. I love to add my $.02 from time to time...