PDA

View Full Version : Wear Blue to Wallace Wade

devilirium
08-09-2008, 02:29 AM
“I want you to wear blue because we’re going to fill that stadium in blue, Cutcliffe told about 400 employees and fans gathered in Reynolds Theater for Primetime, the quarterly forum for faculty and staff. “It’s a great opportunity for this university to band together to do something really special – 7 p.m. Aug. 30 – we kick off. When we come out on that field, when it’s a sea of blue, can you imagine how our kids are going to feel?”

Thanks Coach Cut for the backup.....

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2008, 09:28 AM
“I want you to wear blue because we’re going to fill that stadium in blue, Cutcliffe told about 400 employees and fans gathered in Reynolds Theater for Primetime, the quarterly forum for faculty and staff. “It’s a great opportunity for this university to band together to do something really special – 7 p.m. Aug. 30 – we kick off. When we come out on that field, when it’s a sea of blue, can you imagine how our kids are going to feel?”

Thanks Coach Cut for the backup.....
It's time to get with the program.

Wearing blue is a vote of confidence in the team and the staff. Show your true colors. Wear blue!

DukePA
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I will be there in Duke Blue! Can't wait. I am going to have to buy a bunch of Duke football tee shirts and sweatshirts. I am embarassed to admit I have none, only basketball. I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner : (

Devilsfan
08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
It would be wonderful to see a stadium filled with blue that isn't called the big house or located in happy valley. The biggest problem imo is getting the students to enter the stadium from their tailgaiting and stay for three or four quarters. The tradition seems to have become tailgate and leave. The last coach was against night home games. Cut's night games may be the answer. If not maybe we should paint the seats blue as an alternative.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
It would be wonderful to see a stadium filled with blue that isn't called the big house or located in happy valley. The biggest problem imo is getting the students to enter the stadium from their tailgaiting and stay for three or four quarters. The tradition seems to have become tailgate and leave. The last coach was against night home games. Cut's night games may be the answer. If not maybe we should paint the seats blue as an alternative.
Early on Coach Cutcliffe was warned about the students and the tailgate party mode. He said he wants the students in the stadium, not staying at the tailgate party...... he said that if necessary he'd go out there himself and bring them back to the stadium. Could be interesting.....

The student sections will be between Section 24 and Section 19. Section 19 begins the general admission seating. Certainly would be too bad if the students dally only to find their seats GONE, taken by general admission ticket holders!

Bluedog
08-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Realistically, I don't see students going in droves to football games this season. I hope I'm wrong though. But I think it'll take some time. Just as I don't expect our team to win 7 games this season. However, even if students did go to football games in the same numbers as basketball games (~1500), that's still only 4.5% of the stadium. To fill the stadium, you need a lot more than just students. When I went to tailgate, I would (usually) want to go to the game itself, while my friends (especially girls) NEVER would want to. I don't think I had a single female friend attend a game with me except for when we beat Ga Tech my freshman year and we went after halftime since we were ahead. This ended up being one of the only two ACC wins during my four years....The other was at UNC my freshman yr.

Gunnar Kaufman
08-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Realistically, I don't see students going in droves to football games this season. I hope I'm wrong though. But I think it'll take some time. Just as I don't expect our team to win 7 games this season. However, even if students did go to football games in the same numbers as basketball games (~1500), that's still only 4.5% of the stadium. To fill the stadium, you need a lot more than just students. When I went to tailgate, I would (usually) want to go to the game itself, while my friends (especially girls) NEVER would want to. I don't think I had a single female friend attend a game with me except for when we beat Ga Tech my freshman year and we went after halftime since we were ahead. This ended up being one of the only two ACC wins during my four years....The other was at UNC my freshman yr.

Freshmen will come from day one.

If we win the first two games, the rest will come.

Bluedog
08-09-2008, 01:04 PM

I hope you're right. But again, that's still a tiny portion of the stadium being filled. I was always astonished as how many people I knew that never went to a basketball game. Even as a perennial power in basketball, less than a quarter of the student body attends any given game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I hope you're right. But again, that's still a tiny portion of the stadium being filled. I was always astonished as how many people I knew that never went to a basketball game. Even as a perennial power in basketball, less than a quarter of the student body attends any given game.
The whole student body couldn't attend the same basketball game in Cameron if they tried.

In the football stadium there are four sections designated for students and the band. The students don't have to fill the stadium. They have only three sections plus whatever the the band doesn't fill up.

watzone
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Here is what they said about Cur after his speech on Friday -

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

VaDukie
08-09-2008, 01:39 PM
For those who don't know, security guards clear out the tailgate area about 10 minutes before the start of each game.

I can speak from experience that the overwhelming majority of my friends are very enthusiastic about Cutcliffe and the team this year. We're not expecting greatness, but we can see the potential there. I guarantee the students will show up to JMU - it is a MUST WIN in terms of gaining student support.

We don't even have to win all the time, we just have to stay competitive. You'd be surprised how may students show up and bolt at the first sign of a blowout.

VaDukie
08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
PS: Anyone at the athletic department reading this: get students free blue t-shirts for this game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
PS: Anyone at the athletic department reading this: get students free blue t-shirts for this game.

Great idea!!!!!

devildeac
08-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Blue, why not green? Oops, wrong sport/stadium:o;)

watzone
08-09-2008, 08:33 PM

It's already in the works.

DukeUsul
08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Can't wait to see some replays during a game!

PumpkinFunk
08-10-2008, 07:27 AM

I think there's gonna be a hell of a lot more excitement. With a night game, almost everyone will come post-Tailgate, drunk or not, and hopefully stay. I'm hoping there's no parties on the days of football night games. We need to get our student section filled to the brink.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I think there's gonna be a hell of a lot more excitement. With a night game, almost everyone will come post-Tailgate, drunk or not, and hopefully stay. I'm hoping there's no parties on the days of football night games. We need to get our student section filled to the brink.

Those who like football, and watching their school play it (and play it well!), will have to help generate the long term excitement and incentive for those who aren't fans - make it the place to be and the thing to do on a Saturday, seven times this fall. A change of culture, as Coach Cutcliffe has said.

blazindw
08-10-2008, 03:32 PM
The student sections will be between Section 24 and Section 19. Section 19 begins the general admission seating. Certainly would be too bad if the students dally only to find their seats GONE, taken by general admission ticket holders!

Have they moved the student section to the other side? Usually the student section is between Sections 7 and 10. If it has moved, I think that's a good thing, as it will put students in a position to pump up our boys as opposed to spending time ripping on the opposing team's kicker, usually the only player within earshot of the current section.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Have they moved the student section to the other side? Usually the student section is between Sections 7 and 10. If it has moved, I think that's a good thing, as it will put students in a position to pump up our boys as opposed to spending time ripping on the opposing team's kicker, usually the only player within earshot of the current section.

Yes, the students and band will be on the home side. Coach Cutcliffe asked that they be moved. While this location is not where the student section was originally, it's in a better location than has been the case in recent hstory.

Devilsfan
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I asked the old staff that question two years ago and really didn't get an answer. Good move Coach Cut! Maybe it was too logical.

Jarhead
08-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I asked the old staff that question two years ago and really didn't get an answer. Good move Coach Cut! Maybe it was too logical.
When I was an undergrad the student section was in sections 23, 24, and 25, IIRC. There even was a platform at the height of the wall in front of section 25 for the head cheerleader to lead us in some pretty good and creative cheers. Freshmen were required to attend every home game wearing their freshman dinks or ribbons, as the case may be. They didn't need to make me go to the games, though. The season before I enrolled at Duke I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. I got in free if I was in uniform and sat in the student section. Ahem, Wallace wade was the head coach then.

Good move Coach Cut. The students belong on the home side.

blazindw
08-11-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree. Placing the students on the home side is something I wish had happened when I was there. I'm glad Coach Cut has taken care of it.

Uncle Drew
08-11-2008, 06:23 AM
For what it's worth I too will be at the game along with my brother. He and I were born and bred to be Duke fans and believe it or not to focus on football over basketball. (If you weren't a Duke fan at my house growing up you didn't eat.) It seems few Duke fans today know of Duke's great history in football and even fewer are alive to remember it. I will be wearing blue as requested. But to be blunt if you live within seventy miles of Wallace Wade Stadium and your butt is not there you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't want to hear, "well I pull for Duke in basketball but in football I pull for St. Mary's School of the Blind". You're either a Duke fan or you aren't. Okay if you have a wedding or funeral, that's a legit excuse. But frankly if you've uttered the words, "Go Duke", you should be there. If you have produced offspring in the last fifteen years, you should bring your kids. I'd bring my ferrets but if the score isn't in Duke's favor at the start of the fourth quarter they might attack the opposing team. I mean seriously, I'm a starving artist and if I can afford to buy a ticket to a football game ANYONE can.

Seriously, this is the start of a new day for Duke football and by all indications it could be the start of something special. One day you may want to tell people you were at Coach Cut's first home game as Duke coach and not have to lie. I hope more and more fans show up over the course of the season. But if you only plan to attend one game and you are in the Durham area the opener should be most important as a message to Coach Cut and most of all the players. :cool:

Jarhead
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I couldn't agree more, Latta. I will be at the game. I usually go with my son who is in real estate in Durham. This time, though, my wife is going to the game with us. She is a Mizzou alum, but she is a huge Duke basketball fan. I was surprised when she said she wanted to go to the game.

By the way, I have been noticing this new enthusiasm for Duke football, and I mentally tried to compare it with Ted Roof's first season opening. No comparison, I have concluded.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-11-2008, 01:20 PM
For what it's worth I too will be at the game along with my brother. He and I were born and bred to be Duke fans and believe it or not to focus on football over basketball. (If you weren't a Duke fan at my house growing up you didn't eat.) It seems few Duke fans today know of Duke's great history in football and even fewer are alive to remember it. I will be wearing blue as requested. But to be blunt if you live within seventy miles of Wallace Wade Stadium and your butt is not there you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't want to hear, "well I pull for Duke in basketball but in football I pull for St. Mary's School of the Blind". You're either a Duke fan or you aren't. Okay if you have a wedding or funeral, that's a legit excuse. But frankly if you've uttered the words, "Go Duke", you should be there. If you have produced offspring in the last fifteen years, you should bring your kids. I'd bring my ferrets but if the score isn't in Duke's favor at the start of the fourth quarter they might attack the opposing team. I mean seriously, I'm a starving artist and if I can afford to buy a ticket to a football game ANYONE can.

Seriously, this is the start of a new day for Duke football and by all indications it could be the start of something special. One day you may want to tell people you were at Coach Cut's first home game as Duke coach and not have to lie. I hope more and more fans show up over the course of the season. But if you only plan to attend one game and you are in the Durham area the opener should be most important as a message to Coach Cut and most of all the players. :cool:

Very well said, Latta! Very well said indeed. In fact, it sounds like something I'd say.

BTW, my parking pass came in today's mail. The tickets shouldn't be too far behind!

sagegrouse
08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
When I was an undergrad the student section was in sections 23, 24, and 25, IIRC. There even was a platform at the height of the wall in front of section 25 for the head cheerleader to lead us in some pretty good and creative cheers. Freshmen were required to attend every home game wearing their freshman dinks or ribbons, as the case may be. They didn't need to make me go to the games, though. The season before I enrolled at Duke I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. I got in free if I was in uniform and sat in the student section. Ahem, Wallace wade was the head coach then.

What I remember is wearing a coat and tie to games, even without a date. I can recall hitch-hiking to Chapel Hill for the UNC game my freshman year in the only suit I owned.

I also remember attending a Wake game at home my senior year, and feeling vaguely uncomfortable because I went in a sports shirt and slacks. (BTW, I left early because the game was too one-sided to be enjoyable. Guess which way?)

sagegrouse
'N.B.: Hitch-hiking was an acceptable mode of inter-city travel among college students and others. This is another story'

Indoor66
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Remember the fences?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Remember the fences?
I do! While in high school I would slip around through the space between the end post and the stadium wall and sit with the students. Couldn't wait to become a Duke student!

Richard Berg
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, the students and band will be on the home side.
About damn time!

CathyCA
08-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I am so excited about going to the football games this fall. My parking pass came in the mail this week, and I'm looking forward to the tickets arriving any day. I'm going to be there with my mom, my son, my cousin's son and my mom's friend. We'll all be wearing Duke Blue! I think I'll go out and buy something new to wear.

GO DUKE!

throatybeard
08-14-2008, 01:54 AM
Coach Cut is a normal college guy, dare I say "SEC" guy, who doesn't yet understand our attitude problem about wearing our own school colors. For his sake, I hope he's not terribly disappointed when people show up in no discernable scheme with a bunch of gray tshirts at the first game.

Carrie
08-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Coach Cut is a normal college guy, dare I say "SEC" guy, who doesn't yet understand our attitude problem about wearing our own school colors. For his sake, I hope he's not terribly disappointed when people show up in no discernable scheme with a bunch of gray tshirts at the first game.

Frankly, I don't care what color everyone wears, as long as they arrive on time, cheer loudly (and intelligently) for the team, and don't leave early.

My husband has been at KU recently, and there's always a big message board backlash against people who wear red instead of blue, or god forbid, wear a coat that isn't a KU color during a November game. I think it's kind of idiotic, but since the athletic department hands out free blue t-shirts at every opportunity, it's not a hard mandate to follow. It was hard to find blue t-shirts when I was at Duke, even for those willing to pay for them.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I used to feel the same way about wearing our colors to games. Thought it wasn't the Duke way to wear the blue. In recent years my attitude has begun to change. I want to wear Duke blue when I go to Duke athletic events. I see more and more people doing the same.... including football games before Coach Cutcliffe's arrival. I applaud his efforts to unite Duke employees for a common cause: supporting the football team.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I used to feel the same way about wearing our colors to games. Thought it wasn't the Duke way to wear the blue. In recent years my attitude has begun to change. I want to wear Duke blue when I go to Duke athletic events. I see more and more people doing the same.... including football games before Coach Cutcliffe's arrival. I applaud his efforts to unite Duke employees for a common cause: supporting the football team.

I've been wearing Duke Blue shirts to football and basketball games for years. And I'm proud to do so. I like the idea and fully support the lack of randomness.

blazindw
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I've been wearing Duke Blue shirts to football and basketball games for years. And I'm proud to do so. I like the idea and fully support the lack of randomness.

I try to wear Duke Blue to games as much as possible, although I have some shooting shirts/jerseys that are black that I will wear sometimes. I do have a football jersey from a couple years ago that I will wear to every football game I attend until they put the new design in stores--then I will cop that one. :)

I'm trying my best to round up a bunch of Dukies here in the DC area to roll down for the season opener. Some of them want to go to the beach, but I say the beach will be there next week...this season opener could be the start of a new legacy of Duke Football!

devildeac
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
I try to wear Duke Blue to games as much as possible, although I have some shooting shirts/jerseys that are black that I will wear sometimes. I do have a football jersey from a couple years ago that I will wear to every football game I attend until they put the new design in stores--then I will cop that one. :)

I'm trying my best to round up a bunch of Dukies here in the DC area to roll down for the season opener. Some of them want to go to the beach, but I say the beach will be there next week...this season opener could be the start of a new legacy of Duke Football!

My daughter gave me a Duke polo for Christmas last year-it is a very nice AWAY black color (:o) but I will wear it 'cuz I love her;). I will also wear the royal blue and white polos my wife has given me for Christmas or birthday gifts over the last couple years also. I love her, too:D.

Indoor66
08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
My daughter gave me a Duke polo for Christmas last year-it is a very nice AWAY black color (:o) but I will wear it 'cuz I love her;). I will also wear the royal blue and white polos my wife has given me for Christmas or birthday gifts over the last couple years also. I love her, too:D.

Come on, devildeac, we know the black one is for Wake.... :D

devildeac
08-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Come on, devildeac, we know the black one is for Wake.... :D

Actually, black is for a wake;).

Interestingly, after hearing some of the profanity reports directed at Duke fans attending the Duke-WFU game/s in Joel the last several years, my enthusiasm for the Deacs has waned. After all, they are my 2nd school/board name:D.

budwom
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Under the previous football regime, when Ted Roof insisted upon playing non-TV games under the blistering September early afternoon sun, the Surgeon General recommended that fans wear whlte colored shirts, especially since the concession stands were known to run out of water at halftime.

Hopefully blue shirts will be comfortable from this year onward.

Devilsfan
08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
They didn't want you to drink too much probably because of the nasty restrooms.