PDA

View Full Version : Football's Here! Start Countin

greybeard
08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, boys and girls, is that time of year again. You know, the beginning of August, when most sane people are scapin the heat, going to the beach, a mountain lake, or what not, kickin back and enjoying life. Or if you're like those guys in my favorite Bruce song, "Summer's here, and the time is right, to go racin in the streets."

Not for football players though. See, they have to start training now, not like they don't train all year anyhow, because, well, someone decided that training at the beginning of August is somehow good for the game, that it somehow will lead to a more productive season, that is somehow will prepare these behemoths for the grind that is to come.

For me, I especially enjoy the part when the talking heads give the body count like they're reporting on freakin Iraq or something. "The Packers today lost two tackles to ACL tears, but that's okay, they got plenty more guys in that position;" "Too bad for Joe Blow, we understand that the Skins had high hopes for him this year:" gee, the Colts should be terrific assuming that their quarterback and star receiver make it through Labor Day."

I bet all you football fans know how many yards every starting tailback had last year; the quarterback ratings for every single starter (do we count Bret or that other guy the Jets have); etc. I just wanted to remind you all to start countin, you know, season ending injuries, in freakin August! Some Sport.

2535Miles
08-08-2008, 12:05 PM
So what prompted this post? Did I miss an injury report? Already?!? :)

I've always thought the preseason schedule was a bit of joke. A lot of marquee players don't play because they fear injury, and if they do play, it's only for a few series or downs. So they level of play is typically subpar and it's usually a bore to watch.

I played football in high school and I remember the summer training camps being absolute torture. Eastern NC, 95º+, humidity...

I was always surprised we didn't have more guys dropping like flies during conditioning drills.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I was always surprised we didn't have more guys dropping like flies during conditioning drills.

Coach Cut is getting our guys into shape so they don't drop like flies during games. That is much more important (with the proper health precautions, of course - not like when I was in HS, when the coach asked "you're going to throw up? Do it over there please."