PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Ideas

lavell12
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Here is a list of guys who coaches have currently been fired or resigned and therefore they can transfer without missing a season.

Tyler Smith PF Iowa
Gyno Pmare PF San Diego
John Bryant C Santa Clara

keithg
03-23-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think that's a rule...and I think the consensus is that Duke will have trouble finding enough minutes (given the always limited rotation) for the players already here or coming.

lavell12
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM
I think it is the rule and we don't have a starting quality big right now so if we could talk the guy out of Iowa it would be awesome.

lavell12
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM
If we can't get PP or any transfers there are a few unsigned prospects.

Anthony McClain PF
Teeng Akol PF

pfrduke
03-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I thought it was only a rule for incoming recruits. Typically, an incoming recruit may be excused from an LOI if his coach leaves, and you sometimes see recruits follow their coaches (I think this happened for a 'Pack recruit last year who went to ASU with Herb).

In contrast, players who are already at the school are subject to the normal transfer rules. For example, when all the mess happened at Baylor, and Dave Bliss was forced out, the NCAA had to make a special exception for John Lucas, Lawrence Roberts, and Kenny Taylor to be able to transfer without sitting out a year.

And have some optimism... in Thomas, Singler, Patterson (knocking firmly on wood), and Zoubek, we'll have 4 talented players for the 4/5 spots.

dukie8
03-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Here is a list of guys who coaches have currently been fired or resigned and therefore they can transfer without missing a season.

Tyler Smith PF Iowa
Gyno Pmare PF San Diego

how can a student be fired or resign?

juise
03-23-2007, 07:08 PM
how can a student be fired or resign?

I think he meant "whose coaches." Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Coach K doesn't try to recruit players away from other programs... that's pretty low class, IMO. If a kid approaches Duke about transfering (like Dahntay), that's an entirely different scenario.

DU82
03-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Tyler Smith PF Iowa
Gyno Pmare PF San Diego

This is absolutely wrong. The student-athlete commits to an institution, not a coach. The only way a current student-athlete doesn't have to sit out a year (in football and basketball) is for the institution to either cancel their program, or be put on probation (ie, Baylor from a couple of years ago.)

Clipsfan
03-23-2007, 08:42 PM
This is absolutely wrong. The student-athlete commits to an institution, not a coach. The only way a current student-athlete doesn't have to sit out a year (in football and basketball) is for the institution to either cancel their program, or be put on probation (ie, Baylor from a couple of years ago.)

Technically, a student-athlete commits to an institution, but practically they are committing to a coach and a style of play. This is why players who haven't attended yet are released from their LOIs when the coach of the school changes, and why some who have attended are allowed to transfer without missing a season.

Fish80
03-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Schools can let a committed prospective student out of their committment. Many examples exist including the infamous Kris Humphries. If the school releases the student before they started then they don't have to sit out a year and can play somewhere else right away.

DU82
03-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Technically, a student-athlete commits to an institution, but practically they are committing to a coach and a style of play. This is why players who haven't attended yet are released from their LOIs when the coach of the school changes, and why some who have attended are allowed to transfer without missing a season.

Incoming freshmen are not transfers, because they haven't attended class or a practice with the institution, which is why I said "current" student-athletes. Sorry I wasn't clearer.