PDA

View Full Version : Back In Black

wolfpackdevil
08-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Maybe its from watching all the episodes of College Football Live, or reading all the Duke football previews.

But I had an idea for Cutcliffe to make a splash.

The Blue Devils come out on August 30th, with Smoke and fireworks goin off, and they come out in all black uniforms, to the opening song- "Back in Black" by ACDC

I thought it was a great idea and would LOVE to see them pull it off, but a loss in the game would make them look reallllllly bad.

But I think it would be a cool thing for Duke to do in there opener this year.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-02-2008, 12:41 AM
You have to be good to play back in black, then come out in all black uniforms when your main color is blue.

I would bet you all the money in my bank account a college football team that wears black has already done that - and was probably better then the Duke football team.

WakeForest
08-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Back in Black is the official slogan for Wake Forest football this season

miramar
08-02-2008, 07:56 AM
If Duke football wants to make a splash, at least color-wise, they should come out in Prussian blue, which is after all our school color.

I don't know how we got to royal blue in basketball, and much less to the occasional black uniforms, which IMHO are pretty atrocious.

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/faqs/duke_blue.html

chrishoke
08-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Our theme should be shut up and play. I think that is the appproach Cut is taking.

devildeac
08-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Let's see, black unis. At home. Late August game. Summer in NC. Probably still 80-85 degrees at game time, even at 7 PM or so. Nah, probably not a good idea.

RelativeWays
08-02-2008, 09:59 AM
If you want to get fans exited for football using a classic rock anthem, there's one that suits Duke perfectly....

Runnin' with the Devil- Van Halen. Actually I'm surprised that the DUMB doesn't already play this.

buddy
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
If they win football games they can wear whatever color they want.

devildeac
08-02-2008, 10:45 AM
If you want to get fans exited for football using a classic rock anthem, there's one that suits Duke perfectly....

Runnin' with the Devil- Van Halen. Actually I'm surprised that the DUMB doesn't already play this.

Yea, but in the last several decades, Sympathy for the Devil would be much more appropriate:(:o. I am looking forward to a lot less sympathy/pity/scorn and a lot more respect, starting 8/30/08;).

cf-62
08-02-2008, 11:58 AM
If Duke football wants to make a splash, at least color-wise, they should come out in Prussian blue, which is after all our school color.

I don't know how we got to royal blue in basketball, and much less to the occasional black uniforms, which IMHO are pretty atrocious.

Not the "black uniforms are bad" thing AGAIN!

The black uniforms are great. And our winning percentage in them is pretty good, too.

But you have to EARN black when it isn't a primary school color.

Maybe after a few straight winning seasons, we can come up with some black football unis.

wolfpackdevil
08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
You have to be good to play back in black, then come out in all black uniforms when your main color is blue.

I would bet you all the money in my bank account a college football team that wears black has already done that - and was probably better then the Duke football team.

I know Duke's colors are blue and white.

But if you havn't noticed the Men's Basketball team wears black for every away game, so black is a main color by basketball stand points

DukePA
08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Yea, but in the last several decades, Sympathy for the Devil would be much more appropriate:(:o. I am looking forward to a lot less sympathy/pity/scorn and a lot more respect, starting 8/30/08;).

R-E-S-P-E-C-T . . . bring it on!

Karl Beem
08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I know Duke's colors are blue and white.

But if you havn't noticed the Men's Basketball team wears black for every away game, so black is a main color by basketball stand points

Exery *other* away game.

rockymtn devil
08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I never liked the black uniform thing for any team that doesn't have black as one of its colors. It's a very 1990s look and I wish it would fade for good (I think the bad uniform trend of this decade is football teams wearing single color uniforms--all orange (Clemson) or all yellow (WVU)).

Georgia looked awful last year in their black uniforms. Same for Florida State. Even Colorado--who wears black--looks bad when they wear all black.

Duke has put together a solid, classic looking football uniform. Is it a great as Ohio State's reds or Penn State's whites? No. But it's better than a lot of what the ACC has to offer (I'm looking your direction NCST, Clemson, and VT).

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I never liked the black uniform thing for any team that doesn't have black as one of its colors. It's a very 1990s look and I wish it would fade for good (I think the bad uniform trend of this decade is football teams wearing single color uniforms--all orange (Clemson) or all yellow (WVU)).

Georgia looked awful last year in their black uniforms. Same for Florida State. Even Colorado--who wears black--looks bad when they wear all black.

Duke has put together a solid, classic looking football uniform. Is it a great as Ohio State's reds or Penn State's whites? No. But it's better than a lot of what the ACC has to offer (I'm looking your direction NCST, Clemson, and VT).
Many college campuses as well as uniforms of sports teams, bands, etc. display the school colors in numerous ways. For some reason Duke has been slow or reluctant to use blue much. For example, for years the trustees met sitting in black leather chairs, not blue. When the football stadium was painted last time blue was used in limited amounts. (Did blue paint cost more than a neutral color?).

Is displaying your schools colors too pedestrian? Is it too unseemly (whatever that is!)? Is an overt expression of loyalty too common or too much public display of emotion?

The primary functions of school colors are to identify the school and to unify those who feel ties to the school. I can be happy with a ranges of shades of blue from Prussian to royal, but I want to see my school colors displayed more on the campus. I want to see my school colors worn by the athletic teams and the bands. Lots of black and lots of white in the color schemes don't make me think DUKE like lots of dark blue does!

Jarhead
08-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Why? According to the link in the Miramar post, Prussian Blue is the official color of Duke University. Also, there is no color worse than black to be wearing on a hot day in September. Black is only meant for mourning, and for black cocktail dresses for the ladies.

skitelz
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
im probably one of the few, but i really love our black uni's. i also liked geogia's last year. to me, it's more of a "we're gonna put you in the grave". its kind of like ny's red uni's: used for special occasions like us kicking tar hole butt at the nosedome.

DevilDan
08-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I am old enough to have been around when the DUKE football team wore all white with blue trim (on the road, and at home by choice--per QB's Rappold & Garner). Combine that with the white helmet with the very wide BLUE STRIPE and THAT was a great look.

Bring it back ! (along with the winning years we had with it ! )

sagegrouse
08-02-2008, 03:21 PM
(I'm looking your direction NCST, Clemson, and VT).

Hey fellow mountain person:

What would you propose Clemson and Virginia Tech do? Clemson's offical colors are purple and orange. VT's are maroon and orange. Now how would you design the unis to positively reflect on the school, its colors and its athletic traditions?

sagegrouse

DevilDan
08-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Almost forgot ... (well, after all, this IS the D B R ) I like the black uniforms on our hoop team. Football? Not so sure ... please see above. Maybe some of my fellow geezers can comment on our gridiron look in the early and mid-60's ... as I remember, only 1 or 2 other teams in the country had that wide stripe on the helmets.

cf-62
08-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Exery *other* away game.

Actually it's the choice of the captain(s) as to what color is worn on the road. The coaching staff may inject some ideas (like don't just hold onto black for the game at Carolina -- otherwise, they get almost too hyped about it), but it is the kids' decision.

After our 3 game losing streak from 99 - 2000, I don't think Shane ever picked blue again, did he?

rockymtn devil
08-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey fellow mountain person:

What would you propose Clemson and Virginia Tech do? Clemson's offical colors are purple and orange. VT's are maroon and orange. Now how would you design the unis to positively reflect on the school, its colors and its athletic traditions?

sagegrouse

I was up in your neck of the woods last weekend (spent a few days fishing in Clark, a town about the size of my living room...and I live in a small duplex).

Anyway, my critique of both Clemson and VT has less to do with the colors (although both have unfortunate schemes) than the actual designs. Clemson should avoid wearing orange jerseys with orange pants (white pants with orange and purple accents look fine) and orange helmets. The giant pumpkin look doesn't work. It should also never wear the purple jersey. A little bit of purple on the orange jersey is sufficient.

As for VT, there's just too much going on in their football jerseys. There's curved lines going everywhere and, sometimes, they pull out those Nike uniforms with one orange sleeve. VT looked fine during the Mike Vick years, but Nike has completely ruined their look. They look like bad high school uniforms.

Jim3k
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM

I have to confess that this is news to me -- and I was there from 1960-64 (along with Sage). We were taught at orientation that Duke Blue was Royal Blue. That had been the case for many years.

So, according to the library article you linked, as soon as Sage and I left, they chose Prussian Blue? Wow. I guess it's OK for the academic robes, but I think the athletic department is still operating under the premise that Royal Blue is the right color.

Of course Royal Blue doesn't dye well. One washing and it becomes something lighter. Which is why many of the blue Duke garments start out darker, hoping to get closer to royal blue (but they can't, because of the shine). Does Prussian blue hold up better?

Edit: Plus, when I went to the pantone page, I couldn't find it. A Google search for pantone 287 reveals a rather dull blue. I want my Royal Blue back!

Newton_14
08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
To each their own I suppose.... but I like the black uni's for "big" road games in hoops... I also liked the road blue uni's of the late 80's, early 90's..

As for the gridiron, with all the positive changes and new energy since Cut arrived, I was hoping one of the changes would be in the uniforms, both home and road.. Our football uni's are too plain, IMO. I would really love to see the helmets changed to the Prussian Blue as well as the pants. They could wear Prussian Blue jersey's at home with white pants trimmed in Prussian Blue, and the opposite on the road, and mix in the occasional Blue On Blue, and White on White. On really rare occasions in the colder months, I would not mind a Black on Black or some other combo with the pants or jerseys being Black..

but again, just an opinion....at the end of the day, I would think we all would agree as long as we get a bunch of wins, we can live with any of the colors being displayed...

DevilWolf
08-02-2008, 11:05 PM
The new helmets and uniforms will not have any black on them at all.

rsvman
08-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Prussian blue is a great color.

Too bad it's also the name of a white supremacist pop duo that got a lot of press a year or two ago.:mad:

markbdevil
08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Pictures from media day on Sunday. Notice the new uniforms, no black on anything including the helmets which have gray facemasks. The unis look great!
http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=21319&DB_OEM_ID=4200&PAGE_ID=&ZID=1216641

DevilDan
08-03-2008, 07:43 PM
AHHHHHH ... the power of prayer, hahaaaaaaaaa. In an earlier post today, I was reminiscing about the early to mid 60's uniforms, when we were winning.

I just caught MARKBDEVILS message, and took a look --- outstanding ... 60's quarterbacks Altman, Rappold, Garner, Uible & Glacken begged Coach Bill Murray to go "all white", so they could better spot their receivers downfield. Hmmm..... now all we have to do is bring back that classic White helmet with the wide blue (padded) stripe .... add that to everything else to what Coach Cut is doing, and we'll soon be Bowl Material ! !

With or without what I am trolling for, I CAN'T WAIT ....

Gunnar Kaufman
08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk139/PolicyInPractice/CFUJOLSENUJPAJB20080803214138.jpg

Thoughts?

pratt '04
08-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Thoughts?

They remind me of this:

http://riotoseattle.com/peyton-manning.jpg

dukeballer2294
08-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I like em, it gives us a new look for turning around the program.

skitelz
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
ooo, i Love them.

of course, im also a huge Indianapolis colts fan....and these look eerily similar.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
The colors of the new uniforms are crisp and and there's plenty of blue! The D on the helmets is the stylized D with simple lines used on various things recently.... especially Iron Duke items. Back in blue! (Actually, I can remember when some of our cheers where for Big Blue and I don't mean Michigan!)

With all the changes and excitement surrounding Duke football these days, it's time to break out some real football cheers. For the past decade or so, the cheers have tended to be recycled from the basketball season. If some of you younger guys aren't familiar with any of the Duke football cheers, maybe we can remedy that at the first DBR tailgate gathering.

devildeac
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Great look:cool:. Let's play some football!!

Newton_14
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Love the new jerseys! Are there any photo's of the new helmets yet??

RelativeWays
08-03-2008, 09:55 PM
They remind me of this:

http://riotoseattle.com/peyton-manning.jpg

Heh, my first thought thought in looking at the unis from photo day was wondering if we're going to be as successful as the Colts. Will Lucas Oil renovate Wally Wade too?

Jarhead
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
That helmet with the padded top painted blue didn't last long. I think only Duke and Ohio state wore it, but for just a few years. Both schools dropped it, and I don't remember any other school using it.

Here is a look at helmets (http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/) with some historic perspective. Click on Atlantic Coast and scroll down for more including all of the Duke designs back to 1958.

I don't like the way some folks are pushing for black in the unis. Would anyone ask Texas to give up burnt orange, or the Dodgers to give up Dodger blue, or the Crimson tide to give up crimson? Not likely. Why should the Blue Devils give up blue?

RelativeWays
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I like the black uni's for basketball for big away games, their just plain cool. For football, I don't think black should ever be the main jersey color, I think its fine as a trim. You could wear a blue jersey with black pants and a blue stripe down the sides, but thats about it. Some teams can benefit from a uni revision, like the White Sox in the early 90's, or the Tamp Bay Rays now (though it will be the end of the world before we're called the Duke Blues). Duke does have a football tradition, but lets not kid ourselves. We're not Alabama, Michigan or Penn State. Our program needs a shot in the arm, maybe these Indianapolis Coltdevil unis will help.

sagegrouse
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
When you've won some games, you get to make a statement -- such as breakthrough football attire. If you haven't won some games, silence is bliss.

Lets win some games and then we can be creative and inspirational about uniform design.

sagegrouse

Gunnar Kaufman
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
When you've won some games, you get to make a statement -- such as breakthrough football attire. If you haven't won some games, silence is bliss.

Lets win some games and then we can be creative and inspirational about uniform design.

sagegrouse

Agreed, but to at least some extent, nice jerseys attract recruits to a program.

It's all part of the "image" of Duke football. The high school jerseys we'd been wearing until a year ago didn't help much.

Any and all improvements, wherever they come, are more than welcome, IMO. Obviously, the most important ones must come on the field of play. But they're necessary elsewhere, as well.

Jim3k
08-04-2008, 01:15 AM
That helmet with the padded top painted blue didn't last long. I think only Duke and Ohio state wore it, but for just a few years. Both schools dropped it, and I don't remember any other school using it.

Cornell, Rutgers, BYU and the New York Titans also used the helmet. It was made by MacGregor and the padding was supposed to reduce helmet-to-helmet shock to reduce concussions. It may have been good for that, but it created a separate hazard in that the pad's friction increased the length of contact and contributed to neck injuries.

markbdevil
08-04-2008, 08:46 AM
A picture of the new football helmet.
http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

CLT Devil
08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
They are a brighter blue than in the past. In a lot of ways very similar to Ole Miss with the UCLA/Indianapolis Colts stripes on the shoudlers and also with two stripes down the pants. I have been indifferent to the unis in the past, but I actually like these.

In related news, Carolina seems to have adopted a much darker shade of blue for their unis. It will be good to see them in a closer shade to Duke blue....moving on up heels! I will try and attach link.

El_Diablo
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
New uniforms can also be seen here...

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1550054

rockymtn devil
08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Another example of the ill-effects associated with injecting black into a color scheme that doesn't include it.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2008/08/post-27.html

Other than the little "SC" at the top, would you ever guess that this is Southern California? It's purely a rumor, but speculation is that Nike wants USC to wear this when it hosts Ohio State in September. I'm fairly certain that if Nike ever made Ohio State wear black uniforms, the ghost of Woody Hayes would rise and punch Buckeye players.

Scoring Point
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Throaty and some others may recall that I argued for a deliberately Colts-like look several years back, so needless to say, I am quite pleased with this update. Simple but not too plain, and very classy and traditional to boot. I can only hope that the use of black and the cheesy Duke script on the helmet have been banished forever.

As a traditionalist, I absolutely deplore the gratuitous use of black in sports uniforms. I am not really a Southern Cal fan, but I will absolutely puke if they ever actually don those black jerseys. It is one thing for Oregon to allow itself to be used as the beta test for any wacky idea that Nike designers come up with. But tradition-rich programs like USC and Florida State (or Duke in hoops, for that matter) really should be above such obvious shilling. The increased use of monochromatic jersey/pant combinations, while perhaps not as directly attributable to Nike, is another pox on the college football landscape.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Throaty and some others may recall that I argued for a deliberately Colts-like look several years back, so needless to say, I am quite pleased with this update. Simple but not too plain, and very classy and traditional to boot. I can only hope that the use of black and the cheesy Duke script on the helmet have been banished forever.

As a traditionalist, I absolutely deplore the gratuitous use of black in sports uniforms. I am not really a Southern Cal fan, but I will absolutely puke if they ever actually don those black jerseys. It is one thing for Oregon to allow itself to be used as the beta test for any wacky idea that Nike designers come up with. But tradition-rich programs like USC and Florida State (or Duke in hoops, for that matter) really should be above such obvious shilling. The increased use of monochromatic jersey/pant combinations, while perhaps not as directly attributable to Nike, is another pox on the college football landscape.

Hear! Hear! What you've said is right on point. Anyone who has seriously studied history knows that colors are very important as part of the identity of groups of people, be they countries, teams or clubs. The way uniform companies seek to develop new products which bear little relationship to their customers' traditions is a case of money over customer service and quite self serving.