PDA

View Full Version : New hoops scoreboard

jimsumner
08-01-2008, 07:13 PM
From Duke press release

"Beginning next season, the Cameron Crazies will have one more reason to rumble in their seats.

Daktronics Inc. (Nasdaq-DAKT) of Brookings, S.D., announced that it has been chosen to design, manufacture and install a new centerhung scoring and video display for Cameron Indoor Stadium on the campus of Duke University.

Duke University’s long history of class and excellence demands respect, and its new display system is no exception. Custom wood and brass bar trim will frame the entire centerhung display, appropriately accenting the Blue Devils’ new system.

“We are pleased to partner with Daktronics on the new video board in Cameron Indoor Stadium,” said Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White. “Daktronics is a proven leader in this field, and their work and attention to detail on this project has been outstanding. Given the ability to incorporate video elements for the first time in Cameron’s storied history, we are excited about enhancing what is already the best atmosphere in college basketball.”

Duke’s new four-sided video and scoring system will replace its current centerhung display and will come complete with four Daktronics light emitting diode (LED) video displays measuring more than 6-feet-high and 10-feet-wide. These video displays overlooking Coach K Court will provide instant replays and statistical information to keep every Blue Devil fan and athlete in the game. The entire cube-shaped system will measure more than 14-feet-wide and almost 15-feet-tall.

“Daktronics is excited to work with a prestigious university with the academic and athletic tradition of Duke University,” said Eric Lingren, Daktronics Sales. “We worked diligently to create a system to not only entertain the fans, but to also keep the integrity of historic Cameron Indoor Stadium in mind and help add to the one-of-a-kind game-day atmosphere for this prominent basketball program.”

The new system will also showcase sponsors and advertisements with its eight ProAd® full-color LED video displays, with one positioned above and one below each main video display. It will also include a custom Daktronics scoreboard, fitting neatly between the main video display and lower digital display on each side.

Daktronics LED video displays use the latest in red, green and blue (RGB) LED technology to present live and recorded video images, colorful animation and vivid graphics with incredible brightness and wide-angle visibility. Daktronics LED video display technology offers a long lifetime with minimal maintenance and low power consumption, providing value and excitement for years to come."

Lord Ash
08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
If they pipe in music, I stop giving money to Duke.

:)

chrishoke
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Now we can get a 2nd look at all those flops and floor slaps. :)

Thanks for the update Jim.

Acymetric
08-01-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm pretty excited. We've desperately needed to do something about our scoreboard (at the least replace those light bulbs!) for a while now. I think having video screens will be nice, but I do hope that it isn't terribly bright and flashy (RBC Center I'm looking at you). The only concern to me is appearance, and it sounds like they are trying to take that into consideration, so I'm happy.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Sounds impressive! I sit straight across from the Crazy Towel Guy. Think I'll still be able to see him up there? :eek:

Love, Ima

geraldsneighbor
08-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Wait, I am confused. During the game action, they will have stats? Then during timeouts replays? The illustration didn't look like there would be room for both. This scoreboard seems similar to that of Miami, with the exception of stats being displayed at the same time as video. Hopefully though its in HD. This will look sweet for the introductions. Maybe that "Gametime" video on that Duke Blue Planet will be shown before the names are announced. That'd be sick.

CameronBornAndBred
08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I wonder what they will do with the old one. For the most part, it is the same scoreboard they have used since I was a kid. I hope they find a way to display it somewhere, hopefully with the winning score of a Duke/Carolina game.

P.S. Just read they added the current one in 1988, it sure looks the same as it did before then, except for the bottom part.

heyman25
08-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Now if they can get better timers for game clock and shot clock.Too many errors at Cameron in that department.

weezie
08-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Wow! Can't wait to see the new board. I hope they remember to keep the brass trim polished. The rails around the seating areas look nasty if they aren't kept up and I want the new board to really sparkle. :cool:

buddy
08-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds impressive! I sit straight across from the Crazy Towel Guy. Think I'll still be able to see him up there? :eek:

Love, Ima

The scoreboard blocks my view of Crazy Towel Guy. I hope the new one does too.

kramerbr
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
My wife works for Daktronics here in SD and I was very excited to learn of the news. I asked her if she thought this would get us a few tickets to Cameron but she didn't think it was very likely...lol

Truth
08-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Do we have any confirmation whether "vivid graphics" translates to "true HD capability"? It'd be a bit of a shame to put in a new board with the latest technologies...

hedgehog
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Do we have any confirmation whether "vivid graphics" translates to "true HD capability"? It'd be a bit of a shame to put in a new board with the latest technologies...

Yeah, I hate latest technologies as well.

dukechem
08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I went to the UVA game in Charlottesville last spring, and I was put off by the constant use of the scoreboard for ads. I know that ads pay the bills, but they sure detract from the game as far as I'm concerned. If every time there is a break in the action, they run ads on the scoreboard, when is there time for the band, etc.?

Truth
08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I hate latest technologies as well.

Good one, hedge. My bad on the typo... clearly, I want HD.

DavidBenAkiva
08-02-2008, 09:21 PM
As a Cubs fan, I think that the addition of new-fangled scoreboards and what nots at Wrigley has not really enhanced the experience. As a Duke fan, however, I view this as an improvement.

Wrigley is a unique place, like Cameron. They are both in the top two or three venues to watch sports in the United States. A couple of years ago, they added some LED boards along the front of the upper deck on the first and third base line and underneath the hand-operated scoreboard in Center Field, the most-recognizable scoreboard in all of sports. They also allowed Under Armour to place ads on the green doors in the outfield - doors that are surrounded by ivy. The whole effect was a relatively subtle intrusion on that 1930's look that Wrigley still has going for it. I don't think that fans appreciated the additions that much, even though it was easier to see the count, pitch speed, name of the pitcer, etc. Still, there is no monitor or anything like that for replays, and I hope that there never is!

At Cameron, there have been ads throughout the building for years. Was there ever a time when there weren't any? I think that they are tasteful in comparison to other venues and don't intrude on the whole experience. Someone has to help pay the bills, after all! The artist rendering makes it seem like this new scoreboard will be consistent with Cameron as it is.

I like the wood and brass accents, which will hopefully have the same stain as the trim around the rest of the building. I think that the fans will really appreciate the chance to see replays of highlights and blown calls, too. No doubt, once I get used to the new three-point line in a couple of years, I'll be waiting for "oohs and aahs" from the Cameron Crazies during timeouts. In basketball, I think that the chance to see replays will enhance the experience. I hope that they just have stats up on the screen during game action.

Here are some things that I don't want to see:

Cheer Prompts - nothing is more lame than "Let's Go Duke" in neon blue prompting the crowd to cheer. I think that the fans have proven that they can take care of that themselves over the years.

Animated Race to the finish - will the devil, the basketball, the sandwich, or the bottle of Coca-Cola win you a free Chik-fil-A sandwich if the Blue Devils win the game tonight? No three card monte, either. The only race I woud ever want to watch is the sausages in Miller Park.

Busy backgrounds - stats during game action and replays of highlights, please. I think that fans wouldn't mind some still-shot ads from time to time either, but that's pushing it.

Animated Ads - keep it classy

Rick Flair - woooooo!!!! Ummm, no.

Any others?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

devildeac
08-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Rick Flair - woooooo!!!! Ummm, no.

Been to the RBC Center in Raleigh one too many times I guess.:o:D.

Ders24
08-03-2008, 05:47 AM
As long as we don't have anything like a roaring turtle, I think I'll be okay with this.

CameronCrazy'11
08-03-2008, 06:45 AM
As long as we don't have anything like a roaring turtle, I think I'll be okay with this.

Actually, I'd laugh pretty hard if a roaring turtle came on the screen in Cameron, but yeah, I know what you mean.

LetItBD08
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Debbie K assured me this spring at a Crazies Who Care event (coincidentally held by Ders ^) that there would be no stupid graphics, no dubbed music, nothing cheesy that (in my opinion) detracts from the game. Hope this will be the case.

jimsumner
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
"no stupid graphics, no dubbed music, nothing cheesy that (in my opinion) detracts from the game."

Hopefully. But one man's something cheesy is another man's enhanced revenue stream.

Inonehand
08-04-2008, 10:39 AM
"no stupid graphics, no dubbed music, nothing cheesy that (in my opinion) detracts from the game."

Hopefully. But one man's something cheesy is another man's enhanced revenue stream.

If Debbie K says it, it is true. She ROCKS!

hurleyfor3
08-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I heard that if we hadn't replaced the old scoreboard by next February 17, the government would have made it obsolete.

kramerbr
08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
My wife who is a Daktronics employee says that it looks like an 80's Jeep with the side wood paneling. She said it looks pretty cheesy, but I'm guessing they are doing something make it look like the court.

Devilsfan
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Someone should send the old scoreboard and pictures of Wallace Wade complete with its restrooms (I think that's what they are) to the Smithsonian.

Indoor66
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Someone should send the old scoreboard and pictures of Wallace Wade complete with its restrooms (I think that's what they are) to the Smithsonian.

Did you ever see the one before this one? Now that was a 1940's antique. ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh, no! Those sorts of things belong in a Duke Sports Museum.......

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Can I make a request to have Zombie Nation played over the PA before tipoff?

Stray Gator
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Can I make a request to have Zombie Nation played over the PA before tipoff?

Only if the new scoreboard is equipped with personal "MUTE" buttons at every seat. :D

Gunnar Kaufman
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Over/under on how long it will take Duke to play this clip on the new scoreboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDgUIxmtbug

PumpkinFunk
08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Not even the Smithsonian is that desperate.