PDA

View Full Version : College Football Coaches Poll

rockymtn devil
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
The first USA Today Coaches Poll was released today so I thought I'd get the ball rolling on discussion of it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

I can't argue with the top 5 for the most part. I think the top 4 are correct, and it's great that #2 and #3 play in September. Florida at #5 seems a bit high for me. This is the same Florida defense that got shredded by Michigan last January (a Michigan offense that gained all of 96 yards against Ohio State) and I'm not sure a year more experience is going to make that big of a difference. They remind me of last year's preseason #5--Michigan, whose defense got shredded by Ohio State and USC in its last two games.

I'm also confused about LSU at #6. The Tigers lost their best defender and the top two QBs on their 2007 depth chart. Auburn is the class of the SEC West, IMO, and should be above LSU. Clemson at #9 seems right, but we all know what Clemson does with expectations.

I guess Wisconsin is getting the benefit of the doubt at #12. They too have to break in a new QB, but they've also quietly racked up 11 win seasons over the past few years, so perhaps it doesn't matter who takes the snaps. I think Illinois is the second best team in the B10 and would have them just outside the top-10. Why Michigan is ranked is beyond me. I keep hearing that the Wolverines will surprise this year--and they may--but on paper, this is the seventh best team in the B10 (OSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State, MSU, Purdue). No QB and no offensive line is a problem, especially when breaking in a new offense.

PumpkinFunk
08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Seeing BC and Maryland both get votes astounds me - in various rankings, they've been picked (usually) between 4 and 6 in the division with NC State in the mix there. Also, where is Spurrier's #25 vote for Duke this year?

whereinthehellami
08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Also, where is Spurrier's #25 vote for Duke this year?

The speculation is that Spurrier and Coach Cut don't get along very well from when Coach Cut was with Tennessee. Remember how Spurrier would verbally take shots at Tennesse when he was with Florida. Go Coach Cut.

rockymtn devil
08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
The speculation is that Spurrier and Coach Cut don't get along very well from when Coach Cut was with Tennessee. Remember how Spurrier would verbally take shots at Tennesse when he was with Florida. Go Coach Cut.

Everyone knows you can't spell "Citrus" without the U and the T. Zing.

adam
08-01-2008, 01:48 PM
I was disappointed to not see Duke get the one vote this year. For once, it might have actually been valid. :)

jimsumner
08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Here's to the day when Duke football gets votes on merit not sentiment.

sagegrouse
08-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Seeing BC and Maryland both get votes astounds me - in various rankings, they've been picked (usually) between 4 and 6 in the division with NC State in the mix there. Also, where is Spurrier's #25 vote for Duke this year?

I am not as much of a ND fan as when my sainted Irish-American grandmother was alive and spending every Saturday rooting for the Irish.

However, what did they get in the poll? Five points? Yikes! Annie Hynes in heaven will not be pleased.

sagegrouse

Acymetric
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM

He may have stopped because people made somewhat of a deal about it last year. Who knows?

RPS
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
The first USA Today Coaches Poll was released today so I thought I'd get the ball rolling on discussion of it....

This thread has been up for the better part of the day and has drawn a number of posts. What's most significant to me is that Wake Forest's #23 pre-season ranking has drawn nary a mention. Ho hum. No big deal. No surprise. Wake is a top 25 team....

Congratulations to Jim Grobe and Ron Wellman. What they've done is truly remarkable. Here's to Coach Cut making similar strides (and I think he will).