PDA

View Full Version : Another sign of football respect - from Stevie Visor

OZZIE4DUKE
08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
OK, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I think Steve Spurrier expects Duke Football to be on the road to respectability and beyond. The USA Today coaches poll came out today, and for the first time since he has been eligible to vote, Duke did NOT get a preseason vote from Spurrier in the poll. I think he expects Duke to earn it's way into receiving votes this year based on actual on fiield performance and doesn't want to dilute that achievement. Thank you, Steve. I agree with you! :D:D

OldPhiKap
08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
OK, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I think Steve Spurrier expects Duke Football to be on the road to respectability and beyond. The USA Today coaches poll came out today, and for the first time since he has been eligible to vote, Duke did NOT get a preseason vote from Spurrier in the poll. I think he expects Duke to earn it's way into receiving votes this year based on actual on fiield performance and doesn't want to dilute that achievement. Thank you, Steve. I agree with you! :D:D

I don't know. He got a lot of grief last year about his old habit and he may have just dropped it. Thinking we are gonna be a top-25 program this year is a bit tough.

(Maybe he has some personal history with Cut, too -- they spent a lot of time competing against each other in the SEC).

Edouble
08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Do people call Spurrier, Steve "Visor" because of the visor he always wears? I've never heard that one, but it's pretty funny.

I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get his #25 vote. I guess it could be looked at as a bit condescending, but to me it screams of loyalty, and I like it.

buddy
08-01-2008, 11:06 AM
His vote got some "noise" in the press last year. I think there were some stories that maybe he was quietly "encouraged" to drop his customary vote for Duke, maybe with the threat that he wouldn't be in the poll any more. Win a few games and we'll EARN lots of votes. I expect to see us in the polls (maybe not this year) soon enough.

Acymetric
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Could it also be that Cutcliffe specifically asked him not to cast the vote, sort of a "we don't want charity" kind of thing? Who knows? Can't wait to get real votes though!

wilko
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Darth Visors' charity for Duke is superceeded by his need to stick it to a UT guy (Cuttcliff) however he can.

maybe... maybe not... who knows

Devils Rock
08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
A brief preface: this is my first post ever on DBR (been checking the site since its ineption) and I can't believe its a football post. I actually became a member earlier this week to respond to some outrageous comments on the "starting 5" thread and never got around to it.

In any case, I think that this idea that Spurrier loves Duke is shall we say "Spurious". Yes, I know he gave us a vote year after year in the poll. And I am as thankfulo as anyone for what he did in his brief stint at Duke. As a matter of fact, I was standing in the rain in a sea of orange slickers in Wally Wade when we took Clemson (#7!) down my senior year. It was a classic for sure. However my case rests on the following: the minute Spurrier locked up the Florida job at the end of the regular season, he basically abandoned Duke. As I recall, it was revealed that the Duke team practiced just 3 times prior to the AA bowl, whereas Texas Tech practiced 8 times. Even though we were favored by something like 3 points, TT rolled on us like we were gradeschool chumps. TT set numerous Legion Field records that day and pounded us mercilessly. I have to believe that we were favored for a reason and that perhaps if our coach had still had his head in the game at Duke and scheduled a few more practices, perhaps we could have performed up to expectations.

Spurrier did brilliant job at Duke, but he sure didn't make a real effort on his way out the door.

sagegrouse
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
A brief preface: this is my first post ever on DBR (been checking the site since its ineption) and I can't believe its a football post. I actually became a member earlier this week to respond to some outrageous comments on the "starting 5" thread and never got around to it.

In any case, I think that this idea that Spurrier loves Duke is shall we say "Spurious". Yes, I know he gave us a vote year after year in the poll. And I am as thankfulo as anyone for what he did in his brief stint at Duke. As a matter of fact, I was standing in the rain in a sea of orange slickers in Wally Wade when we took Clemson (#7!) down my senior year. It was a classic for sure. However my case rests on the following: the minute Spurrier locked up the Florida job at the end of the regular season, he basically abandoned Duke. As I recall, it was revealed that the Duke team practiced just 3 times prior to the AA bowl, whereas Texas Tech practiced 8 times. Even though we were favored by something like 3 points, TT rolled on us like we were gradeschool chumps. TT set numerous Legion Field records that day and pounded us mercilessly. I have to believe that we were favored for a reason and that perhaps if our coach had still had his head in the game at Duke and scheduled a few more practices, perhaps we could have performed up to expectations.

Spurrier did brilliant job at Duke, but he sure didn't make a real effort on his way out the door.

It is true that Spurrier left in a heartbeat, which I believe was discussed by the schools and is fairly standard among CEOs in any industry -- I mean once he had accepted the UF job, his loyalties (and paycheck) were there. His successor was already on the Duke staff. After all, he was months behind in recruiting at UF. I believe there's more to the story: I thought he may have coached the Gators in a bowl game, which they also lost. I remember him saying, "Well-uh, you learn something sometimes from these things."

OTOH Spurrier has a Duke helmet on display in his office, which is one more than the number of Washington Redskins helmets on display. Also, I can't remember when his son (Steve Jr?) enrolled at Duke, but he played well after Daddy left for Gainesville. I believe Duke was a positive experience for Coach Spurrier and vice versa.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
08-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I was remiss in not welcoming you to the DBR as a poster. I am pleased you are participating.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM

First, welcome!

I have heard Spurrier talk about Duke over the years and it is clear he has fond memories and thoughts about the school that hired him when no one else would. I can't blame him for leaving to go back to his alma mater where he had won a Heisman. And, yeah, we got whacked in that bowl -- but many schools would not have let him even coach the bowl team after announcing that he was leaving.

Spurrier has given the administration advice on coach hirings over the years. I heard him say, when he was with the Redskins, that his car had two stickers on it -- one for UF, one for Duke.

Here's hoping to a Duke-South Carolina bowl game in the near future!

budwom
08-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, Steve really screwed up that bowl appearance. We had a terrific offense that year, but TT was clearly much better prepared. I was pretty upset about that sad effort, too.

Nonetheless, his affection for Duke is clearly genuine. He just couldn't get a decent job in college coaching until he got the offensive coordinator job at Duke. That opportunity really launched his career (despite his success in the USFL or whatever that alternate league was).

OldPhiKap
08-05-2008, 11:10 PM
FWIW, there's a 10-minute interview with Cut on Youtube where, amongst other things, he mentions Spurrier. Cut talked to Spurrier before he took the job and since. Cut's brother played with Steve. I don't think there's any bad blood.

I am still a SS fan but that was 20 years ago. New era. Time to move on.

Go Devils, Go Gamecocks.

-- OPK

Verga3
08-05-2008, 11:32 PM
FWIW, there's a 10-minute interview with Cut on Youtube where, amongst other things, he mentions Spurrier. Cut talked to Spurrier before he took the job and since. Cut's brother played with Steve. I don't think there's any bad blood.

I am still a SS fan but that was 20 years ago. New era. Time to move on.

Go Devils, Go Gamecocks.

-- OPK

You're right, OldPhiKap. No bad blood at all between Steve and Coach Cut.....only friendship and respect. Steve and his family had a great experience in Durham and he will always genuinely love Duke University. That is certain.

It will be interesting to see if time has moved on and Steve and Cut cut a Duke vs. South Carolina deal in the near future. That would be very cool.

DukeSince'77
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
According to Mark Packer on his "primetime with the Packman" radio show, it was the poll takers that requested that the ol' ball coach not vote for Duke this year. He quoted him as saying "for the integrity of the poll" he hoped Spurrier would not cast a vote for Duke.

I'm drinking the football Koolaid and hope we earn votes on the field!!!

Tennessee&DukeFan414
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
SC-Duke Rivalry would be good for Duke recruiting if they were competitive because there are tons of good football players in South Carolina DUke could swoop up. What do you all think of starting a home-away every year with mighty Tennessee? Tennessee recruits a lot of North Carolina players (EJ Abrams-Ward last year) and it would be Cut versus Phillip.

6th Man
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Duke actually has a history of going to UT to play. I think it would be great. I would like to see the Big Orange come to Wally Wade. I think we would see a full stadium that day even if it might be half orange.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Duke actually has a history of going to UT to play. I think it would be great. I would like to see the Big Orange come to Wally Wade. I think we would see a full stadium that day even if it might be half orange.

Back in my undergrad days (Mike McGee was the head coach), we used to go to both Tennessee and South Carolina to play football games. I went to one of each. We played Tennessee so tough that their coach, Bill Battle, resigned shortly after our game. We DID beat South Carolina in a huge upset.

Great days for Duke football are just around the corner. Better get on board before the train leaves the station! Great seats for the home opener on August 30th are still available. Call 877-375-3853 to order your tickets today!

killerleft
08-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I watched Duke BEAT Tennessee in Neyland! '88? 89?

jlear
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
This may have been posted elsewhere, but:

We just missed the top 25 for 2009 recruiting classes (so far). LINK (http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=834586).

"Duke a potential top-25 recruiting class? Things definitely are different in Durham, and the success the Blue Devils have had lately is a testament to the new staff."

Verga3
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
This may have been posted elsewhere, but:

We just missed the top 25 for 2009 recruiting classes (so far). LINK (http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=834586).

"Duke a potential top-25 recruiting class? Things definitely are different in Durham, and the success the Blue Devils have had lately is a testament to the new staff."

Thanks, jlear! Wow....I know it's early and recruiting class rankings like these can be pretty subjective, but this is SIGNIFICANT.

As a casual aside, a quick eyeball shows us AHEAD of programs like UCLA, Oregon, Cal, Nebraska, Colorado, Wisconsin, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville (very sorry).

Coach Cut and his fine, commited staff deserve our continued support and thanks for their hard work, energy, and class in beginning again the history of DUKE FOOTBALL!!!

devildeac
08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks, jlear! Wow....I know it's early and recruiting class rankings like these can be pretty subjective, but this is SIGNIFICANT.

As a casual aside, a quick eyeball shows us AHEAD of programs like UCLA, Oregon, Cal, Nebraska, Colorado, Wisconsin, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville (very sorry).

Coach Cut and his fine, commited staff deserve our continued support and thanks for their hard work, energy, and class in beginning again the history of DUKE FOOTBALL!!!

Now, win a few (many?) games and recruit a few more and get them all to sign their LOI in Jan. or Feb.!