PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Lithuania

BlueDevilJay
08-01-2008, 08:19 AM
is on right now as well. For those of us at work, here is the link to ESPN Gamecast.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/men/playbyplay?gameId=727

BlueDevilJay
08-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't know that much about the quality of the teams we will be playing in this Olympics, but aren't Lithuania expected to medal in basketball?

BlueintheFace
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
We are still having problems breaking the zone... not enough penetration and high-low passes.

Also, If we are having a tough time down low against Lithuania now.... oh boy.

Still, pretty good first half I suppose.

Highlander
08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Lithuania with a 13-5 run to start the 3rd quarter. We are up 9.

roywhite
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Yas-a-cabbages can still shoot.

USA with some steals and dunks; back up by 17.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Who are these announcers.

I had to mute it after they said "Better get the ball away from Dwayne Wade... He'll CRUSH YOUR SKULL!"

jipops
08-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Based on the running box score and the game cast, doesn't look like Boozer has been in. He isn't hurt or anything is he?

jacone21
08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Who are these announcers.

I had to mute it after they said "Better get the ball away from Dwayne Wade... He'll CRUSH YOUR SKULL!"

Yeah. I had to mute the play by play dude last night. He's a little lot over the top. I kept expecting him to yell, "OH BABY!" like that and1 guy. ugh!

dcarp23
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
He and Tayshawn appear to be playing the roles of 10th and 11th men on this team, so I'd imagine the minutes for both will be somewhat limited.

billybreen
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I kept expecting him to yell, "OH BABY!" like that and1 guy. ugh!

Lol at that. The and1 dude is obnoxious. He sounds like the Kool Aid Man. Oh yeah!

CLT Devil
08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Good to see Johnny D there alongside the other coaches...def will miss him. I think any question about breaking a zone was answered when Paul and D Williams were in together. Pretty ridiculous windmill alley oop from Wade.

Ben63
08-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't know that much about the quality of the teams we will be playing in this Olympics, but aren't Lithuania expected to medal in basketball?

Yes, but only because they will breeze through Group A and into the medal round. Group B (USA, Spain, Greece, Germany, China, and Angola) is much tougher and is alot like Group C in Euro 08. Lithuania is only the 4th or 5th best team in the tournament the top 3 in no particular order are USA, Spain, and Greece.

Good game today. Thought it was good, but not great. Came out flat in the 3rd quarter. That cannot happen. Definatley liked the way DWade, Michael Redd, and especially Deron Williams played. LeBron, Melo, and Kobe were their usual (which is pretty good btw;)). Got good looks against a zone D which should be a big help.

As for the announcers, I love Fran Frischilla as a writer on ESPN.com, he is decent as a studio analyst for CBB, but he is one terrible TV announcer.

And I actually like the guy from And1, it is appropriate announcing for that style of play, it adds to the entertainment value.

BlueDevilJay
08-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Are these essentially 'warmup' games for the teams? I was thinking, Wow, they already started and I had no idea!

roywhite
08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Are these essentially 'warmup' games for the teams? I was thinking, Wow, they already started and I had no idea!

Yes, basically. 3 games played so far, and 2 more to go---vs Russia on 8/3 and vs Australia 8/5. ESPN2 has TV coverage on the last two games, though the Russia game comes on at 3:30 AM EDT. USA vs China is first game in Olympic competition 8/10.

There are some areas of improvement for this USA team, but a little perspective...Lithuania is ranked #5 in the world according to FIBA, and the US won by 36, 120-84. K's team looks devastating at times.

Billy Dat
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Our defense was spectacular in the first half, especially the first quarter (I haven't watched the second half, yet).

One thing that we do which must simply demoralize teams is on made baskets, our whole team basically sprints downcourt, whomever is closests to the made basket pulls it out and launches the break. We get lots of lay-ups this way and try and instigate an up and down tempo.

You can see by the number of 3 pointers we have been attempting that we haven't been forced to settle for 3s, yet. I saw some great signs of dribble drive - skip attacking of the zone which was leading to easy shots and a lot of touches inside for D Howard and Bosh.

SMO
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Our defense was spectacular in the first half, especially the first quarter (I haven't watched the second half, yet).

One thing that we do which must simply demoralize teams is on made baskets, our whole team basically sprints downcourt, whomever is closests to the made basket pulls it out and launches the break. We get lots of lay-ups this way and try and instigate an up and down tempo.

You can see by the number of 3 pointers we have been attempting that we haven't been forced to settle for 3s, yet. I saw some great signs of dribble drive - skip attacking of the zone which was leading to easy shots and a lot of touches inside for D Howard and Bosh.

I noticed the same thing on quick in-bounds after made baskets and staying up-tempo the whole game. I think we'll continue to see opponents fade in the 2nd Quarter and again at the end of games as our guys just wear them out. It's funny, watching the US play an up-tempo style and dribble-drive-kick I'm reminded of what Duke looks like against inferior teams.

Ben63
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I saw some great signs of dribble drive - skip attacking of the zone which was leading to easy shots and a lot of touches inside for D Howard and Bosh.

Deron Williams did this brilliantly today. CP3 (or is it CP13 for the Olympics) also has this ability, but Williams is stronger going to the hoop and could be a key player against teams who run zone against us.

And Howard is an absolute animal inside. And for all the criticism of lack of big men, Howard, Bosh, and Boozer are pretty good. Sure Tyson Chandler would be nice but what can you do about injuries.

sagegrouse
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM
He and Tayshawn appear to be playing the roles of 10th and 11th men on this team, so I'd imagine the minutes for both will be somewhat limited.

FWIW, I think they are 11th and 12th on the team. I predict Carlos and Tayshaun both will get significant minutes in 2-3 games throughout the Olympics, depending on the opponent and the possible match-ups. K will make sure that this is a positive experience for all of the players (who have given up so much time).

sagegrouse
'I love these starts at 6AM Mountain time, but the Sunday game at 130AM is way past my bedtime'

Ben63
08-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Boozer may not see many minutes as the 3rd big man, but I can see Prince getting minutes because he is one of the best defenders on the team. He wont be an offensive presence, but thats not a big deal if you look at the other players. I would expect Tayshaun to get more minutes than you might think.

gotham devil
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, basically. 3 games played so far, and 2 more to go---vs Russia on 8/3 and vs Australia 8/5. ESPN2 has TV coverage on the last two games, though the Russia game comes on at 3:30 AM EDT. USA vs China is first game in Olympic competition 8/10.

There are some areas of improvement for this USA team, but a little perspective...Lithuania is ranked #5 in the world according to FIBA, and the US won by 36, 120-84. K's team looks devastating at times.

USA is currently a 1/8 heavy favorite to win the gold.
Spain, at 4/1, is the closest rival.

weezie
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
sagegrouse
'I love these starts at 6AM Mountain time, but the Sunday game at 130AM is way past my bedtime'

sage, you are not a party animal.

Acymetric
08-01-2008, 04:59 PM
sage, you are not a party animal.

Perhaps he parties harder than any of us, so hard in fact that he must do it before most of us are awake.