PDA

View Full Version : Saltine Crackers

EarlJam
07-30-2008, 11:42 PM
What is the reason for all the holes in Saltine Crackers?

And with all those holes, why not call them, Swiss Crackers?

-EarlJam

2535Miles
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
What is the reason for all the holes in Saltine Crackers?

And with all those holes, why not call them, Swiss Crackers?

-EarlJam
I tried to find out if there was already a cracker that had cornered the 'Swiss' market, but no luck. However, this thread came up on as the fifth result on Google! Good job EJ! Maybe if we keep talking about how they really should be called Swiss Crackers we can get it to number one.

Don't most crackers have holes in them? That would mean that every cracker is a Swiss Cracker and I'm not down with that. The Swiss have watches and chocolate, so they can't have crackers. So I'm afraid Swiss Crackers is right out.

My guess is that crackers have holes in them to keep them from bubbling up during the baking process. Kind of like perforating pizza dough.

So what do you like to put on your Swiss Crackers, I mean saltines?

Lavabe
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
I tried to find out if there was already a cracker that had cornered the 'Swiss' market, but no luck. However, this thread came up on as the fifth result on Google! Good job EJ! Maybe if we keep talking about how they really should be called Swiss Crackers we can get it to number one.

Don't most crackers have holes in them? That would mean that every cracker is a Swiss Cracker and I'm not down with that. The Swiss have watches and chocolate, so they can't have crackers. So I'm afraid Swiss Crackers is right out.

My guess is that crackers have holes in them to keep them from bubbling up during the baking process. Kind of like perforating pizza dough.

So what do you like to put on your Swiss Crackers, I mean saltines?

Pepp. Farm Goldfish are crackers without holes. They simply cannot (where's Wilson?) be called Swiss. With apologies to Roy Williams, dadgummit!! :mad: We invented them. They aren't Swiss. They're 'merican!!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I have no idea why, but I love saltines.

Helluva good french onion dip, any type of cheese will do, peanut butter, tuna, peperoni, whatever. it all makes me happy as long as there is a little pale cracker underneath.

bluebear
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I have no idea why, but I love saltines.

Helluva good french onion dip, any type of cheese will do, peanut butter, tuna, peperoni, whatever. it all makes me happy as long as there is a little pale cracker underneath.

But can you eat 6 (or is it 7) in a minute

TheRose77
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
The holes are put in so that the air can escape while baking. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to keep the cheese on it.
Goldfish don't have holes because Pepperidge Farm wants them to be puffy. Kinda like EarlJam after a hard night.

EarlJam
07-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Kinda like EarlJam after a hard night.

EarlJam, The Hard Knight!

I like it!

-EJ

Ben63
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM

Yes its six. Closest I ever came was 61.5 seconds. Still bothers me to this day.

devildeac
07-31-2008, 03:06 PM
boring cracker. give me wheat thins, triscuits or almost any other type of crackers instead of a saltine. blechh. also remind me too much of being sick as a kid and eating saltines and broth and jello as I recovered.

lmb
07-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Believe it or not, there used to be a Swiss Cheese cracker. I don't know if they make them anymore or not. They were small rectangles (with holes in them, of course) and they were quite tasty! I believe the box was red.

Yummm!

2535Miles
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
It's all about Chicken in a Biscuit.

bjornolf
07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
The holes in crackers such as saltine and graham are there for a dual reason:

air escaping, as someone mentioned, and also to increase surface area open to the heat of the oven so that they will dry faster in the cooking process, allowing them to be crispy through and through without burning them.

My wife and I used to work at the conveyor belt company that made the CB-5 baking belt used at lots of baked goods companies. Look at the back of some crackers and pop-tarts and inside oreos and whatnot. See that "V" pattern? That's the CB-5 baking belt pattern. They also made belts for some beer bottlers. It was always fun to go on repair trips to the big beer plants in Wisconsin!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Maybe.. but sounds like too much work to even try that.

2535Miles
08-01-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm pleased to report this thread is now two of one million search results on Google. Still nothing on Cuil which is uncuil.

Swiss Crackers are good
Swiss Crackers are not real
Swiss Crackers should have cheese
Swiss Crackers are not really Swiss

EarlJam
08-01-2008, 08:50 AM
The holes in crackers such as saltine and graham are there for a dual reason:

air escaping, as someone mentioned, and also to increase surface area open to the heat of the oven so that they will dry faster in the cooking process, allowing them to be crispy through and through without burning them.

My wife and I used to work at the conveyor belt company that made the CB-5 baking belt used at lots of baked goods companies. Look at the back of some crackers and pop-tarts and inside oreos and whatnot. See that "V" pattern? That's the CB-5 baking belt pattern. They also made belts for some beer bottlers. It was always fun to go on repair trips to the big beer plants in Wisconsin!

This is why DBR RULES!

-EarlJam

bjornolf
08-01-2008, 04:02 PM
One of the wild things about the beer bottling plants is that when you go in with the belts, you basically need a new pair of boots after just a few days. There's so much fine, shaved, broken glass on the floor from old bottles that broke and were ground down by the machinery that even the best boot soles are just ground to nothing. And the good spirits help you if you step on one of the sharp pieces...they'll cut your boot sole right in half. Razor blade factories are murder on boots too. Most of those factories have boot budgets where they give money to the workers every six months or so for a new pair of steeltoes.

rsvman
08-01-2008, 06:01 PM
It's all about Chicken in a Biscuit.

Preach on, brother!